Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've wondered how it's going to work in conjunction with the next gen running current gen games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!
Ever play on console against someone on a good PC?
About like that I imagine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Can't wait for the inevitable Genji nerf, every single game there's a Genji that puts their back out carrying

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really wish there wasn't a three person limit on who you can avoid, like it would make sense if it was permanent, but since it lasts only a week we really should be allowed to avoid as many people as possible, as it currently is it's basically useless

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish there wasn't a three person limit on who you can avoid, like it would make sense if it was permanent, but since it lasts only a week we really should be allowed to avoid as many people as possible, as it currently is it's basically useless

One person complained about being avoided and ruined it for everyone

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

One person complained about being avoided and ruined it for everyone

Huh? The only thing that's changed about the avoid list since it was implemented was that the limit was bumped up from 2 people to 3.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

thexerox123 posted:

Huh? The only thing that's changed about the avoid list since it was implemented was that the limit was bumped up from 2 people to 3.

Back in like 2016, one of the top Widowmaker players was being avoided by hundreds of people and could never get a game as a result, so they changed it from "Avoid Player" to "Avoid as Teammate." I think you could also avoid as many people as you wanted? The current system was born sometime after they ditched that doomed, poorly thought out model.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
No joke I'm the reason you got avoid as teammate at all

My thread on the overwatch forums reached the post limit and had a massive number of upvotes

Soon after they did the thing

It sucks and they should have let you avoid anyone for as long as you wanted

So... Yeah

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
What I'm saying is I'm cool and please validate me

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Posting in a legendary thread

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Posting in a legendary thread

yes you are

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

hhhat posted:

What I'm saying is I'm cool and please validate me

this was quite clear

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am pretty sure the reason it's 3 people for 7 days is that tons of players are whiny idiots who refuse to believe they aren't perfect players and think you should win all the time, so they would just slam 'avoid' on every person on their team whenever they lose. If only a few people do that it's ok, they basically progressively ban themselves because they can never find a match. But if enough people did it consistently enough (and I don't have much faith in the typical player) it would probably gently caress up matchmaking because of all the interconnected avoids.

They could probably do better than 3 people for 7 days, though.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Dynamite Dog posted:

this was quite clear

so are you going to or nah

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure the reason it's 3 people for 7 days is that tons of players are whiny idiots who refuse to believe they aren't perfect players and think you should win all the time, so they would just slam 'avoid' on every person on their team whenever they lose. If only a few people do that it's ok, they basically progressively ban themselves because they can never find a match. But if enough people did it consistently enough (and I don't have much faith in the typical player) it would probably gently caress up matchmaking because of all the interconnected avoids.

theres so many easy ways to address that potential problem that its really annoying that they just chose to not have the problem

for example, all the people who are shadowbanned just get each other as teammates
or you get a message saying 'you have so many avoids that it will take you 15 minutes to find a match, want to clear the list?'
or whatever

I've said before let me subscribe to overwatch premium where it costs 5 a month and i only play against other prem players and you lose your sub if you get avoided too much or you dont get to sub unless youve gotten level 100 or some poo poo

Suddenly youre not playing with leavers or smurfs

But nooooooo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable Genji nerf, every single game there's a Genji that puts their back out carrying

Let me walk this statement back slightly by saying that it is currently hilarious being an Ana and sending out your roided up hyperactive child into the world with a knife

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hhhat posted:

so are you going to or nah

theres so many easy ways to address that potential problem that its really annoying that they just chose to not have the problem

for example, all the people who are shadowbanned just get each other as teammates
or you get a message saying 'you have so many avoids that it will take you 15 minutes to find a match, want to clear the list?'
or whatever

I've said before let me subscribe to overwatch premium where it costs 5 a month and i only play against other prem players and you lose your sub if you get avoided too much or you dont get to sub unless youve gotten level 100 or some poo poo

Suddenly youre not playing with leavers or smurfs

But nooooooo

You already have 10+ minute DPS queues, with that change you would need to schedule your games a day in advance

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

xtal posted:

You already have 10+ minute DPS queues, with that change you would need to schedule your games a day in advance

oh so youre one of the people who argued

btw you dont have 10 minute DPS queues anymore

open queue is great and ill never go back to 2 2 2

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has there been any building on Mystery Heroes? Like a Mystery Role Lock Distribution? Mystery Role Requirements?

Mystery Heroes is the only mode that gets universal acceptance, so why haven't we seen more from that formula?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ashcans posted:

If they have to have a limit it should be a more reasonable number like 20 or something

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Has there been any building on Mystery Heroes? Like a Mystery Role Lock Distribution? Mystery Role Requirements?

Mystery Heroes is the only mode that gets universal acceptance, so why haven't we seen more from that formula?

Nope.

I do think they reverted the "can't come back as the same hero twice in a row unless you suicide" rule, but there's been no move to add in role locks or requirements, or to disable hero stacking.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

New experimental cards:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-retail-patch-notes-%E2%80%93-july-23-2020/529601

That addition to Moiras Fade sounds pretty cool.

quote:

Now phases out all allies within 6 meters (and self) for 1 second after exiting Fade

Phasing makes a hero immune to all damage and effects. It will work exactly like Reaper’s Wraith Form or Moira’s own Fade effect in this regard

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

From the changes, this feels like an idiot thing to put on a hero's secondary abilities

Moira change explanation posted:

potentially turn a fight around single-handedly if used well

I guess we have lamp and d matrix so who knows

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I guess it's a response to people saying Moira is too easy to play? These changes definitely raise her skill ceiling.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fade is how you move around fights and avoid getting murdered, and now it has this awkward secondary use that expects you to have it off cooldown so you can protect your team with it? Color me unimpressed. It's like if DVa's defense matrix were on the same button as her boosters.

All Moira needs is for the purple orb to generate healjuice so she has something vaguely useful to do when the yellow orb isn't needed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

megane posted:

Fade is how you move around fights and avoid getting murdered, and now it has this awkward secondary use that expects you to have it off cooldown so you can protect your team with it? Color me unimpressed. It's like if DVa's defense matrix were on the same button as her boosters.

All Moira needs is for the purple orb to generate healjuice so she has something vaguely useful to do when the yellow orb isn't needed.

At this point I say just have there be one orb that does both at the same time

Also her grasp really needs a buff to either damage or self heal cause currently it's kinda bad at doing either

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah this is a super weird change and not really what the character needed.

Except for narrowing the Suck Beam. That's definitely a good move.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah this is a super weird change and not really what the character needed.

Except for narrowing the Suck Beam. That's definitely a good move.

Heavy disagreement on that last part, her grasp is already pretty pathetic, it doesn't need more nerfs(if anything it could use a slight buff)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Heavy disagreement on that last part, her grasp is already pretty pathetic, it doesn't need more nerfs(if anything it could use a slight buff)

It's only a nerf in so much that it raises the skill floor extremely slightly so that you have to aim more. Anything that discourages DPS Moira is fine with me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's only a nerf in so much that it raises the skill floor extremely slightly so that you have to aim more. Anything that discourages DPS Moira is fine with me.

Again the problem is that it already is terrible in basically every way, making it harder to use just makes it even worse to use

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

megane posted:

I know what you mean, and that was my initial reaction as well, but this is kind of like arguing that rein's charge is only for pinning enemies and not for disengaging. What the proposed change does is adds more tactical texture to Moira's fade - you can choose to sacrifice survivability in exchange for utility. Given that Moira currently has a great deal of survivability but little utility (not saying she's not effective at what she does, just that she doesn't have many tools in the toolbox), it seems like the right flavour of change. I still don't like it, I think for the reasons that you're getting at - that having an ability that's movement plus escape plus absurdly powerful rescue with a fairly long cooldown puts it in a place in which the cost of using it in terms of lost opportunity is almost always going to be greater than the value gained.

For real, I would love a flex support character with this sort of rescue skillshot ability.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Her ult she be a massive orb that heals and damages

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I know most people don't care about total mayhem but Moira was already the most valuable and important hero in that gamemode and this weird change pushes that even further into turbo mode

It sounds like a cool experiment though, gently caress yeah

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I used to play almost exclusively Moira but now I just find her boring. I'm having a lot more fun with Ana, even if I'm an old man who can't aim for poo poo. There's far more satisfaction in landing a huge 'nade on the enemy team, or handing out a clutch nano.

Or accidentally nanoing Baby DVA.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
when echo was new they added a setting to echo and ana that turns their ults into a two-button process with a confirmation

i know that that's probably too slow for the pros but it sure as poo poo helps me not nano lucio anymore

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maybe it's just cause I'm on console and thus suck at aiming but I just can't figure out how to play Ana well

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Maybe it's just cause I'm on console and thus suck at aiming but I just can't figure out how to play Ana well

I'm a scrub tier nobody so take all of this with a grain of salt, but;

Use your 'nade more offensively than as a healing tool, toss it into a tight group of enemies just after a shield breaks.
Anyone with self-heal abilities loving hates to be naded, so use it on them at any opportunity. Good way to melt a Hog.
Save your sleep dart to save your own rear end, to save a team-mate being charged, or just when it's funny.
Sleep cancels Whole Hog, Bob, Gravitic Flux, and most importantly, Nanoblade. Call it when you use it so your idiot team mates don't wake the target up. They will anyway but at least you tried.
You can spam no-scope healing shots into a group of teammates, but watch your reload because it is the longest thing in the entire universe.
Scoped shots are for DPS who are very far away, or when you got picked and are coming out of spawn with a good LOS to a fight. Nano is a really good way to save a tank who's having their rear end handed to them. Otherwise, use it on an ulting Genji. Or whenever really.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 28, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can heal with Ana kind of like Moira because the darts will go through teammates who have full health. So if you can get all your teammates in a row, you can shoot at the group and it will heal them all from nearest to farthest. If you're helping out a teammate in a 1v1, you can also try to position yourself so that your teammate is between you and the enemy, so that your shots heal your teammate when they're damaged or the enemy at max health.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So part of my problem was being scoped in all the time then?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Scoped shots are hitscan but give away your position. For longer distances the scope will be mandatory since you'll need to lead the unscoped shots so much. But you can quickly scope and take 3 shots against a Pharah, no problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I'm a scrub tier nobody so take all of this with a grain of salt, but;

Use your 'nade more offensively than as a healing tool, toss it into a tight group of enemies just after a shield breaks.
Anyone with self-heal abilities loving hates to be naded, so use it on them at any opportunity. Good way to melt a Hog.
Save your sleep dart to save your own rear end, to save a team-mate being charged, or just when it's funny.
Sleep cancels Whole Hog, Bob, Gravitic Flux, and most importantly, Nanoblade. Call it when you use it so your idiot team mates don't wake the target up. They will anyway but at least you tried.
You can spam no-scope healing shots into a group of teammates, but watch your reload because it is the longest thing in the entire universe.
Scoped shots are for DPS who are very far away, or when you got picked and are coming out of spawn with a good LOS to a fight. Nano is a really good way to save a tank who's having their rear end handed to them. Otherwise, use it on an ulting Genji. Or whenever really.

Then scream after your teammates shoot the person you just slept