Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Homicide has had runs with ROH and TNA in the last few years and unless something has changed (which is possible with COVID) he's a trainer at the GCW school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Are there any exceptional Wrestlemania matches from '90 to 00?

Aside from Bret/Piper, Flair/Savage, Bret/Owen, HBK/Razor, Austin/Bret, Triangle Ladder Match at 16?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Warrior/Savage

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Warrior/Savage is incredible from a storytelling standpoint. Savage goes in fully expecting Warrior to be Warrior and blow himself up, Warrior changes his gameplan for once in his life and methodically brick walls Savage to pieces. Until that doesn't work and Warrior loses his mind. Until Savage takes advantage of that, fails and also loses his mind

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Hulkster getting the job done after Bret Hart choked, jack

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Warrior/Savage is incredible from a storytelling standpoint. Savage goes in fully expecting Warrior to be Warrior and blow himself up, Warrior changes his gameplan for once in his life and methodically brick walls Savage to pieces. Until that doesn't work and Warrior loses his mind. Until Savage takes advantage of that, fails and also loses his mind
man i dunno what kind of dark arts Savage performed to get both of Warrior’s good matches out of him

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

man i dunno what kind of dark arts Savage performed to get both of Warrior’s good matches out of him

Warrior had decent matches with Rude

bartok
May 10, 2006

I wouldn't call any of these matches must watch classics but I thought they were fun:
Bulldog/Warlord
Steiner Brothers/The Headshrinkers
Owen & Yokozuna/Smoking Guns
Ahmed Johnson and Legion of Doom/Nation of Domination in a Chicago Street Fight

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I remember really enjoying Roberts vs. Dibiase at WM6 despite the count-out ending. I'll throw Hogan vs. Warrior onto the pile.

Undertaker vs. Diesel at WM12 is probably the best streak match before Undertaker hits his stride as a worker.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Planned and rehearsed the gently caress out of it, probably.

E: Rewatched the first few minutes of that match, and I love that spot where Warrior catches Savage coming off the top, but instead of slamming him, puts him down and slaps him.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 28, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I remember really enjoying Roberts vs. Dibiase at WM6 despite the count-out ending. I'll throw Hogan vs. Warrior onto the pile.

Undertaker vs. Diesel at WM12 is probably the best streak match before Undertaker hits his stride as a worker.

WM6 also has the best promo of Jake's career.

Wallowing, in the muck of avarice...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WM6 also has the best promo of Jake's career.

Wallowing, in the muck of avarice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuo6In8d_w

this is actually the best

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rock and Austin had better matches, but their 15 main event is still a fun romp. 13 had a Chicago Street Fight that was kinda fun too. I also like Rockers vs. Haku and The Barbarian at 7.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Rock and Austin had better matches, but their 15 main event is still a fun romp. 13 had a Chicago Street Fight that was kinda fun too. I also like Rockers vs. Haku and The Barbarian at 7.

The Rockers tag is definitely one of those matches that catch you by surprise the first time you watch the show.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TIL: The Faces of Fear tagged in WWF before forming in WCW.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

bartok posted:

Bulldog/Warlord

The battle of two men that can't put their arms down.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Does anyone know exactly what The Heartthrobs did on WWE Byte This that got them immediately shitcanned and pretty much cancelled the show?

So many weird internet exclusive 2000-2010 things that just fell down the memory hole. I remember Tax and Cole got an internet show where they used a bunch of curse words and raged against people who said Smackdown was inferior to RAW.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everything from like 2004 to like 2011 is a big featureless blur.

it's also been like that again since like 2014

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Smackdown was really good in 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

Smackdown was really good in 2016

smackdown was really good in 2002.

in 2016 it was completely wretched, as opposed to obscenely pointless like in 2015

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nah it was good

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tato posted:

Does anyone know exactly what The Heartthrobs did on WWE Byte This that got them immediately shitcanned and pretty much cancelled the show?

So many weird internet exclusive 2000-2010 things that just fell down the memory hole. I remember Tax and Cole got an internet show where they used a bunch of curse words and raged against people who said Smackdown was inferior to RAW.

I googled out of curiosity because I remember that happening but totally forgot why and all the other insanity that happened with the show...

quote:

On the July 13, 2005 episode, Lita was an in-studio guest and Matt Hardy called in. This was an interesting show to say the least, as it was at the peak of their on-screen drama. Lita eventually got fed up and walked off the show. Despite Hardy constantly advertising his appearance in Ring Of Honor later that week, (later edited from the archived broadcast) some who watched the webcast that night believe the whole situation was a work.

On September 28, 2005, when The Ultimate Warrior was asked to come on Byte This!, he refused, issuing a paragraph-long statement, calling Todd Grisham a "queer", and frequent contributor Droz (who was left a paraplegic by a wrestling accident) a "cripple." This led to Matt Striker coming on to Byte This! and doing a less-than-flattering impression of Warrior, including numerous references to steroids. He, Grisham, and Droz had several jokes at Warrior's expense, resulting in an edited version to be released on WWE.com days later that takes a more light-hearted approach.

On November 9, 2005, Michael Cole and Tazz unexpectedly appeared on Byte This! and aired their grievances with WWE on the air, specifically discussing the supposed company perception that favors RAW over Smackdown. In addition, they talked about how RAW's announcers and other personnel have commentary forums on WWE.com, yet somehow they do not. Michael Cole also made a remark concerning WWE "repeating storylines" directly on the air. Tazz froze for a minute then pointed an "air" rifle and shot Cole. They promised some future changes to WWE.com and proceeded to storm off the set. When Grisham tried to deal with it in a non-serious way, they came back on-camera emphasizing that it was not a "storyline" or "work", then left again, vowing to "take this to Vince and Kevin Dunn" if they had to. This segment was edited from the archived version of the episode on WWE.com.

In December 2005 and January 2006, Byte This! came under attack through its live caller system. Each week, at least one person called in to make some reference to the wrestling promotion Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. The remarks themselves were varied, ranging from "TNA is better than WWE" to "Todd, you dodge TNA questions just like you dodge the women." Grisham responded to the criticisms by referring to the callers as "retards" or something similar and subsquently hanging up on them. One notable response made by Grisham came during an episode late in 2005 in which he told a TNA caller to "call up TNA's show, it airs at 4:00 AM in...Japan" (in reference to the late night timeslot of TNA's flagship TV show, TNA iMPACT!). Surprisingly, even WWE mainstay Mick Foley got in on the joke by telling Todd that his children were watching TV and that there were horrendous things that he saw, before he said, "Oh wait, it's just TNA!"

The Wednesday February 8th 2006 webcast of Byte This! was a very controversial one, however was not the final episode despite much speculation. The show featured a guest appearance from The Heart Throbs. The Heart Throbs went off topic in their segment, making sexual references and at one point stripping Todd Grisham of his clothing, among other things. WWE management immediately released the Heart Throbs, though claimed they were not released specifically for their appearance on Byte This. There is also a theory that the first caller from this show had something to do with the removal of the episode. The first caller was David from California that asked the question," ...Who will win the Fatal Four way and challenge that ------ Booker T..." The caller was hung up and the show went on. This might be another reason that the show was removed, however this reason could be doubtful as Byte This is heavily edited for language when it is archived. The producer of the show was not fired, despite many reports claiming the opposite. The show featuring the Heart Throbs was never archived, and a show was never produced the following week. Two weeks later Byte This! was removed entirely from WWE.com along with all of it's archived episodes, although the archive has since returned. The last archived show is currently Rob Van Dam from 1st February 2006. Byte This will return as part of WWE.com'sanding digital services.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy poo poo, the Michael Cole one :allears:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I remember reading somewhere that Misawa's elbow and Hogan's Axe Bomber got over as finishers in Japan because they legit knocked someone out in the ring. Are both of those stories true, and if so, can anyone point me to the match where they happened?

Are there other examples of moves getting over as finishers in puro due to a real KO or injury? I recall the Styles Clash being sold as death because it legit injured someone in Japan.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

akira maeda's entire career after breaking riki choshu's orbital bone

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anakha posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Misawa's elbow and Hogan's Axe Bomber got over as finishers in Japan because they legit knocked someone out in the ring. Are both of those stories true, and if so, can anyone point me to the match where they happened?

Are there other examples of moves getting over as finishers in puro due to a real KO or injury? I recall the Styles Clash being sold as death because it legit injured someone in Japan.

The Hogan one is. I think he knocked out Inoki, iirc.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

The Hogan one is. I think he knocked out Inoki, iirc.

That's the story at least. I don't think I've ever seen any confirmation on whether it was a work or not.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it was a work afaik

ox baker's heart punch was sold as a killer move bc he hit a guy with it and the guy died a few days later. that turned out to be complications from pancreatitis but promoters still sold it like ox baker made his heart explode

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

anakha posted:

Hogan didn't legit knock Inoki out it was a planned finish.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Does a picture exist of Hulk Hogan with hair?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pope Corky the IX posted:

close enough

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
drat, my father had the same thing, started losing it in his early twenties.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You mean the hair on his ribs?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i refuse to believe hulk was ever younger than 45

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Halloween Jack posted:

You mean the hair on his ribs?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Really amazing how easily worked people are by everything. "Did Hogan ever have hair?" The man had a great head of hair well into 1996, here he is at Halloween Havoc!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Terry "The Hulk" Boulder had hair. Hulk Hogan was bald. They look similar, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wonder if Hogan would have been as big of a name and as marketable in Vince's eyes if he just decided to shave all of his hair off in like, 1984 when he started going mega bald.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
That Farah Fawcett hair on The Disciple, I can't get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Terry "The Hulk" Boulder had hair. Hulk Hogan was bald. They look similar, though.

this is some peaks 70s.jpg.

Those loving shades the Hulkster is wearing.