Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Alaois posted:

grown adult men writing themselves into their own fiction to mack on the teenage girls they created is creepy

Yeah no that's definitely creepy. But he did the same goon-style handwringing over the basic concept of shipping which is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Alaois posted:

grown adult men writing themselves into their own fiction to mack on the teenage girls they created is creepy

yeah this to me is different from teen girls who write themselves dating their favorite cute anime boy. one is an outlet for a young person to explore romantic and sexual feelings in a safe and controlled environment, the other is, not,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they were keeping it to themsevles itd be whatever its mostly roping animators and other VAs and stuff into it thats weird. like if a teen girl conned a bunch of people into animating her making out with a character from gundam wing without telling them that was what they were signing up for thatd also be bad, even if more forgivable since, teen girl

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Which gundam wing character though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah no that's definitely creepy. But he did the same goon-style handwringing over the basic concept of shipping which is silly.

Pretty much, if he had just phrased it as "yo it's pretty hosed up that these grown rear end men created underaged waifus for their self inserts to have romantic relationships with" that'd be fine, but he came off as fully anti-shipping and also freaked out at any sexualization of underaged character which - okay sure that's a whole other discussion about media - but that's a problem that is not by any stretch unique to RWBY and feels a lot more like an artifact of "anime fans with a bad grasp of writing try to write an anime" than anything nefarious.

littleorv posted:

General Septum

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

trant clark

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Tantacrul made a video about his musical collaboration with Hbomberguy on Hbomb's RWBY review, including a closer look at the music of RWBY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83ir7z2EfM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

General Septum

A magnificent performance. A shame he had to leave the stage so soon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

littleorv posted:

The gundam itself

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The worst thing about shipping is that it lead to almost every good cartoon in the mid-2010s getting dragged down by one of the main characters having an arc about being a mopey lame-o over some unrequited crush. Adventure Time, Korra, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, TMNT, and Voltron are just a few I thought of.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Shipping, by definition, is something fans do. If it's in the show it's just ... text? Yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

The worst thing about shipping is that it lead to almost every good cartoon in the mid-2010s getting dragged down by one of the main characters having an arc about being a mopey lame-o over some unrequited crush. Adventure Time, Korra, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, TMNT, and Voltron are just a few I thought of.

yeah uhh i dont think 'weak romance arcs' is a problem born by milennial internet shipping culture considering this is also a problem afflicting several classical chinese novels

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Lu Bu and Dong Zhou were definitely banging though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leal posted:

lu bu was his adopted son, im cancelling you for incest shipping

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sydin posted:

General Septum
everyone who does not know, please enjoy the siren song of general septum to bring some joy to your day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w&hd=1

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph posted:

lu bu was his adopted son, im cancelling you for incest shipping

drat there goes my 3 subs. Super nep rpg is cancelled

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gan Ning and Ling Tong were absolutely getting it on, though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Like Hbomb acts skeeved out that the principle writers created waifus and then wrote in self-insert characters they voice who their waifus are into, but honestly that's just standard fare for bad fanfiction. All that differentiates RWBY from some really bad AU AtLA story is that it had a ton of production behind it and, for a couple seasons, Oum and his friends constantly flexing with great fight scenes.

Sydin posted:

Pretty much, if he had just phrased it as "yo it's pretty hosed up that these grown rear end men created underaged waifus for their self inserts to have romantic relationships with" that'd be fine, but he came off as fully anti-shipping and also freaked out at any sexualization of underaged character which - okay sure that's a whole other discussion about media - but that's a problem that is not by any stretch unique to RWBY and feels a lot more like an artifact of "anime fans with a bad grasp of writing try to write an anime" than anything nefarious.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I dunno, I took it as 'It's kinda hypocritical to chastise people about shipping your characters because she's 15 and then- oh hey look, here's both of you making OCs to ship with the 17 year old! That's much more wholesome!'

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Leal posted:

Alaois posted:

Gan Ning and Ling Tong were absolutely getting it on, though

PYF Dynasty Warriors ships. Mine is Zhuge Liang/Sima Yi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

that one is funny as hell because historically zhuge liang was trying to goad sima yi to attack him so he sent a letter calling him gay and then zhuge liang died of a heart attack, his last action on earth being calling sima yi gay

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

i think that's because they're shows for teenagers, many of whom are in the mopey lame-o over unrequited crushes stage of life

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno, I took it as 'It's kinda hypocritical to chastise people about shipping your characters because she's 15 and then- oh hey look, here's both of you making OCs to ship with the 17 year old! That's much more wholesome!'

When did they scold their viewers for shipping? Hell, Oum used ship names from the fandom for the group's tag-team attacks in one fight as a shoutout.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Self-inserts are incredibly lame no matter who is doing it, the one exception being my digital self who is friends with piccolo and goku

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

that one is funny as hell because historically zhuge liang was trying to goad sima yi to attack him so he sent a letter calling him gay and then zhuge liang died of a heart attack, his last action on earth being calling sima yi gay
Oh poo poo, yeah, this is technically real person shipping. The three of us are now cancelled, I guess.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Self-inserts are incredibly lame no matter who is doing it, the one exception being my digital self who is friends with piccolo and goku
You are correct, but only because it's unbelievably embarrassing in your case.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I don't really know anything about any of the characters in Dynasty Warriors because my knowledge of Chinese history is absolutely mediocre but uh, Gracia and Da Ji.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Chad Jihad posted:

The OC creator for Sonic Forces unironically owns.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

Zhuge Liang had a real thing for specifically hurling sex related insults at Sima Yi and as far as I remember only Sima Yi. Considering earlier he did the same thing but mailing him a dress and bonnet saying to wear women's clothing if he wouldn't attack. Somebody had a crush and was bad at expressing it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I didn't get that impression. He cracked a couple joke at its expense, but he didn't seem bother by it or anything.

littleorv posted:

lets say Treize

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Arcsquad12 posted:

The OC creator for Sonic Forces unironically owns.
Dragonball Xenoverse did it better IMO.

But yeah big franchises making games built around OC character creators is 100% cool and good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

When did they scold their viewers for shipping? Hell, Oum used ship names from the fandom for the group's tag-team attacks in one fight as a shoutout.

The part where they're fighting the giant robot and Ruby's giving them all orders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE&t=3386s

And then the lead from him saying it goes right to Miles saying it so I didn't really think it was Mr. Bomberguy's opinion on it so much as just him setting them up to be a punchline? Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to word this better.

Also I was watching something long on Youtube and the video was all segmented into parts, why isn't this one like that?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

I like the self-deprecating self-inserts that get made fun of or are otherwise one-note background characters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

The part where they're fighting the giant robot and Ruby's giving them all orders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE&t=3386s

And then the lead from him saying it goes right to Miles saying it so I didn't really think it was Mr. Bomberguy's opinion on it so much as just him setting them up to be a punchline? Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to word this better.

Also I was watching something long on Youtube and the video was all segmented into parts, why isn't this one like that?

I'd need to see the actual full interview clip in context to know if the "she's a 15 year old girl" comment is in response to somebody talking about shipping, or something else. I get what you're saying though.

As for the video segments that's something the creator themselves has to do. Considering the abject hell that Hbomb went through to get the video out my guess is he didn't feel like also going through and segmenting it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, this is technically real person shipping. The three of us are now cancelled, I guess.

if gan ning and ling tong have a problem with it they can let me know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alaois posted:

if gan ning and ling tong have a problem with it they can let me know

im gan ning

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I liked the video for the most part, but I can’t say I agreed with the stuff towards the end regarding the villains.

Granted, I haven’t watched far enough into the series for it to really start talking about the faunus stuff, but the way HBomb describes them seem like a perfectly valid way to portray your antagonists (at least in terms of the broad strokes of the plot). There’s an old bit of writing advice that goes something like “everyone is the hero in their own story”, so it makes sense to give a villain a motivation that’s in some way relatable even if that character is still undeniably evil. There’s a tragedy to it, like this person could have been a force for good but they went too far and became the very thing they hate.

That’s not to say you have to make the villains relatable. Sometimes they can just be monsters who need killing; neither approach is inherently invalid. However if you do have simple villains you need to make the other characters doubly interesting to make up for that, which sounds like it’d be an even bigger challenge for the RWBY writers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shipping is fun. Embrace the ridiculousness of it and go wild.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shipping is alright in my book, but there are definitely a handful of shows that completely fell off the deep end in the process of trying to cater to people who love shipping. Agents of SHIELD is the main example I can think of. Season 3 or 4 (can't remember which) collapsed in on itself trying to give each of the most popular ships an episode of their own. It was really bad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sydin posted:

That was kinda cute and neat. It helps that those names actually work in that context, since apparently RWBY fans are inexplicably smarter than every other fandom ever. Managed to avoid just taking half of one character's name and then half of another's and mash them together leaving to something that's the bad kind of dumb mess at worst and incoherent gibberish on average.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

I liked the video for the most part, but I can’t say I agreed with the stuff towards the end regarding the villains.

Granted, I haven’t watched far enough into the series for it to really start talking about the faunus stuff, but the way HBomb describes them seem like a perfectly valid way to portray your antagonists (at least in terms of the broad strokes of the plot). There’s an old bit of writing advice that goes something like “everyone is the hero in their own story”, so it makes sense to give a villain a motivation that’s in some way relatable even if that character is still undeniably evil. There’s a tragedy to it, like this person could have been a force for good but they went too far and became the very thing they hate.

That’s not to say you have to make the villains relatable. Sometimes they can just be monsters who need killing; neither approach is inherently invalid. However if you do have simple villains you need to make the other characters doubly interesting to make up for that, which sounds like it’d be an even bigger challenge for the RWBY writers.

I think the main issue is that the plight of the faunus is more talked about than it's shown (the most we see is that guy tugging on the rabbit girl's ear), which can make the faunus villains seem more disproportionately "evil" than they should, rather than just desperate and fed up with their oppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

As long as you are shipping the Romance depictions of the characters it's fine. It's when you arent mentioning Guan Yu's red face or Liu Bei's huge lobes that it becomes problematic. This is also why John Malkovich is allowed to be your boyfriend in certain contexts