Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im watching through ds9 for the first time and i think Sisko just committed a war crime? Am i confused or in season 4 ep For the Uniform he just nukes a planet to catch one guy. And the end of the ep sisko and dax just laugh it off??

I know ds9 is supposed to be edgier but i cant ever see starfleet not court martialing him for that, or hell any of the crew going along with him and following orders to actually do it, even worf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He makes it impossible for humans to live on that one planet but nobody dies

It was in retaliation for the Maquis doing the same to Cardassian colonies

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The staging is bizarre but yeah he chemically contaminated an inhabited world, although I think it was like Eddington spread anti-Cardassian gas on Planet X, and Sisko spread anti-human gas on Maquis Planet Y, and in the end they swapped planets because the relevant toxins were harmless to each other?

The entire situation gets weird because the SF framing does not map 1:1 to things in real life very well.

Like in both cases it doesn't destroy the planet's ecology, it doesn't even make it so sentient life can't live there, it makes it so one particular intelligent species can't live there.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Fortunately, both planets can entirely evacuate on a moment's notice. Also, despite there being anti-Human gas that's so easy to make that the Defiant can whip some up on a moment's notice, the Cardassians don't start mass producing it and hitting every planet they occupy during the war.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's a little strained as a concept but the script makes clear that Sisko isn't a good person for having done it, just kinda doing a non-committal renegade run in Mass Effect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Fortunately, both planets can entirely evacuate on a moment's notice. Also, despite there being anti-Human gas that's so easy to make that the Defiant can whip some up on a moment's notice, the Cardassians don't start mass producing it and hitting every planet they occupy during the war.
I can actually totally believe the first part given that all these vaunted colonies that the UFP needs to die and slaughter for appear to mostly be space T-shacks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Fortunately, both planets can entirely evacuate on a moment's notice. Also, despite there being anti-Human gas that's so easy to make that the Defiant can whip some up on a moment's notice,

Actually that's the most realistic thing in the show.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's a little strained as a concept but the script makes clear that Sisko isn't a good person for having done it, just kinda doing a non-committal renegade run in Mass Effect.

Everybody looking at Sisko mildly shocked and uncomfortable as he's having his screaming meltdown and demanding the poison gassing of a planet is kind of counterbalanced by the episode ending with a grinning Dax stating "doing evil things is fun, actually"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Seemlar posted:

Everybody looking at Sisko mildly shocked and uncomfortable as he's having his screaming meltdown and demanding the poison gassing of a planet is kind of counterbalanced by the episode ending with a grinning Dax stating "doing evil things is fun, actually"

i think that's the curzon and that guy is a for real villain

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jadzia has got big chaotic neutral energy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Actually that's the most realistic thing in the show.

Weird, I thought it was just a common allergy. I don't react to poison ivy myself...

I imagine Worf and Dax probably thought of this as some bizarre human cultural thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seemlar posted:

Nothing like a little forced displacement to brighten one's mood

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah even if he didnt kill people (which seems doubtful), it is absolutely ethnic cleansing at a minimum. And Dax at the end says "sometimes its good when the bad guys win :smug:"

very weird episode

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

Weird, I thought it was just a common allergy. I don't react to poison ivy myself...

generally people get sensitized to it after repeated exposure. My grandpa was a doctor who treated someone who was immune to poison ivy up until the time he ate a leaf to prove it to his friends.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

generally people get sensitized to it after repeated exposure. My grandpa was a doctor who treated someone who was immune to poison ivy up until the time he ate a leaf to prove it to his friends.

My uncle was immune until he tore up a bunch from some land he was working and threw it on the burn pile. Like the comic says, urushiol vaporizes in smoke, Uncle Mark was in the hospital for a while until his lungs healed up enough.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

HD DAD posted:

Jadzia has got big chaotic neutral energy

taking a vacation to murder a senior citizen is one of the best/worst episodes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How exactly does it work to be poisonous enough to be uninhabitable to human life, but also not cause any damage to anybody.

And then somehow being made into refugees and losing everything you can't carry with you isn't a horrible atrocity in its own right that will cause its one damage. Are the Maquis supposed to have the same kind of post-scarcity deal that the Federation does? Or are they just gonna be accepted back into the Federation after they no longer have homes to fight the Cardassians over?

Arivia posted:

What do you think of Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres, then?

I don't think much about them, since I never watched voyager. It's the one everybody poo poo-talks and it's not like I'm a big enough fan to watch through the whole franchise anyways.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

On the first point, I think It Just Does. (To be fair to Sisko he did not initiate the tactic.)

On the second, I suspect the Maquis have replicators and power supplies, which seem to be all you fundamentally need to have a high material standard of living, at least as long as the replicators work.

It's not clear how citizenship works exactly but the Federation clearly saw the Maquis as at least kind of citizens - if not in their territory. They offered to resettle them in the first place.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Maquis are absolutely (insufferable) Federation citizens.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Pick posted:

Why is Star Trek so loving weird about the Irish

I have to wonder what Colm Meaney thought about ehhhh everything

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shatner doesn't run that account, it's all done by his daughter who is a MAGA CHUD

I have only ever heard that on these very forums and I wish I could find a source for it because I want to believe that Shatner is not quite that level of insane.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

womb with a view posted:

I have to wonder what Colm Meaney thought about ehhhh everything

At least he got to tell them to gently caress off when they wanted to have a leprechaun in If Wishes Were Horses!

Although we did dodge one bullet - Garrett Wang wanted to do an Irish accent in the Fair Haven episodes but was thankfully vetoed. If his previous ‘impersonations’ are anything to go by, we dodged a very racist bullet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaroff posted:

At least he got to tell them to gently caress off when they wanted to have a leprechaun in If Wishes Were Horses!

Although we did dodge one bullet - Garrett Wang wanted to do an Irish accent in the Fair Haven episodes but was thankfully vetoed. If his previous ‘impersonations’ are anything to go by, we dodged a very racist bullet.

is a korean man impersonating an irish man racist, or just payback

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Which episodes are worse for the Irish- Up the Long Ladder or Fair Haven/Spirit Folk?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
At least the holodeck stuff had the excuse of being lovely fiction written by Paris.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im watching through ds9 for the first time and i think Sisko just committed a war crime? Am i confused or in season 4 ep For the Uniform he just nukes a planet to catch one guy. And the end of the ep sisko and dax just laugh it off??

I know ds9 is supposed to be edgier but i cant ever see starfleet not court martialing him for that, or hell any of the crew going along with him and following orders to actually do it, even worf.

it wasn't just to catch Eddington, because Eddington was planning on going on to gas all the other Cardassian colonies in that sector

like, that was the whole point of Eddington sabotaging the Defiant and ambushing the Malinche (under a false distress call!!) and setting a civilian freighter in a decaying orbit, to try and make sure Starfleet couldn't stop him from his campaign of ethnic cleansing

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which episodes are worse for the Irish- Up the Long Ladder or Fair Haven/Spirit Folk?

Up the Long Ladder.

One is a lovely period piece. The other is... I don't even know where to start.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I wonder what Colm Meaney thought of that one

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arivia posted:

It depends. If presumed-Korean-based-on-name Harry Kim is doing the impersonation, then yes. If actual-Taiwanese-descent Garret Wang is doing the impersonation, then also yes, but for a few extra reasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CPColin posted:

It depends. If presumed-Korean-based-on-name Harry Kim is doing the impersonation, then yes. If actual-Taiwanese-descent Garret Wang is doing the impersonation, then also yes, but for a few extra reasons.

Welp I’m a loving idiot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nessus posted:

It's not clear how citizenship works exactly but the Federation clearly saw the Maquis as at least kind of citizens - if not in their territory. They offered to resettle them in the first place.

I wonder if all humans (and Vulcans, Andorians, and all the rest of the member species), whatever their location or background, are welcome to come to the Federation and claim citizenship, like Israel does for Jews.

Although now that I think about it, New Eden (the planet of humans that the Red Angel took away during WW3) kind of disproves that notion, since Disco treated them as if they were pre-warp aliens. Oh well, it was a neat idea.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder what Colm Meaney thought of that one

I'd bet he hated it, but since at that point he was a glorified extra he wouldn't have had the clout to object and be listened to.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if all humans (and Vulcans, Andorians, and all the rest of the member species), whatever their location or background, are welcome to come to the Federation and claim citizenship, like Israel does for Jews.

Although now that I think about it, New Eden (the planet of humans that the Red Angel took away during WW3) kind of disproves that notion, since Disco treated them as if they were pre-warp aliens. Oh well, it was a neat idea.

I don't recall them treating them as pre-warp aliens, just as a pre-warp society (which is true). If Discovery had taken the not-religious-fanatic guy with them instead of leaving him behind with a souvenir 23rd century lightbulb, he'd probably have been welcomed as the human he is.

Gillian Taylor was able to jump forward in time and then immediately get on board a Federation science ship as a crewmen like a month after getting off the proverbial boat in Star Trek 4.

I used to kinda think the Federation had, as with many things, evolved beyond the very 20th/21st century idea of citizenship, but that's another minor detail that Picard nixed, what with the whole "Hugh is a Federation citizen and so the Romulans on the Artifact have to treat him special" thing.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I have decided that I'm actually going to bid on this.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd bet he hated it, but since at that point he was a glorified extra he wouldn't have had the clout to object and be listened to.

this is when he started turning his back to the camera during any 'techno babble' scenes, so even if he flubbed the line it still only took one take.

the man was all about that paycheque.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

echoplex posted:

I have decided that I'm actually going to bid on this.

I applaud you. But only if instead of putting it in a glass case you actually wear it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
If anything, DS9 was really weird for having a Chinese woman play a Japanese woman who is inordinately fond of old school culture and comes across as worse of a weeb than Worf and Klingon culture.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

it's only payback if it's a korean man impersonating a perfidious Finn

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From Popbitch:

quote:

During his 2005 world tour, Henry Rollins was telling people how William Shatner's garage was chock-full of portraits of the former Starship captain. Paintings of Shatner as TJ Hooker, as Captain Kirk, as himself - at all ages and stages of his career.

Even the best-known divas don't install full-scale galleries of themselves in their own homes. So is this a sign of Shatner's colossal ego? Not exactly.

Apparently Shatner is constantly being given paintings by Trekkies at conventions and he just doesn't have the heart to throw any of them out. Bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/manuintiraymi/status/1287959067642589185?s=21

I just wanted to post the saddest thing I’ve seen today