Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Barudak posted:

1) The first flip book animation you make
2) Everything else

I once spent months animating a "foxtrot" fan cartoon in a program I never figured out how to export anything from.

WRT lists: Kinda surprised spider verse is on so many top fives! I thought that it was great technically but that the themes...........were sorta weak

Also B&tB is obvious, but I'm recently of the opinion Little Mermaid is better. B&tB feels almost like the first in a long series of clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually find Little Mermaid extremely weak outside the music and Keane's animation. The backgrounds and color palette alone are almost TV level.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Heavy Metal, American Pop, Akira, and The Brave Little Toaster.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

I actually find Little Mermaid extremely weak outside the music and Keane's animation. The backgrounds and color palette alone are almost TV level.

I would actually say the opposite! The early digital colors in Beauty and the Beast feel very flat and weirdly yellow, even in dramatic scenes they aren't pushing the lighting to what it needs to be. Mermaid feels rich visually, possibly in spite of the much of the tiny toons design sensibility, because they're riding on a century's worth of knowledge about how to put stuff together optically.

Keane's animation might be doing the most for it though. Ariel's acting is much, better than Belle's, she makes specific expressions and her personality is conveyed by pantomime for half the movie. Belle is either stern or she is smiling. She also feels flatter than Ariel from a writing standpoint because she is not actively pursuing her desire, although that's probably more down to which of these existing folk tales fits neater within a hollywood screenwriting paradigm.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

I'd be interested in everyones top 5

Mine are Feherlofia, Dumbo, Rango, One of the Nightmare Before Christmas/Monkeybone/Coraline trilogy, and Happy Feet. I feel like a great cartoon feature is hard to pull off.

Cats don't dance
Who framed Roger rabbit
The Lego Batman movie
Spiderverse
Ratataouille

I find all five perfect movies

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It drives me fuckin nuts that Cats Don’t Dance isn’t available somewhere to stream.

TIL that all of old Looney Tunes is on HBO Max, though, so it’s been a good night. The Looney Tunes show is also good, right? The one where Bugs and Daffy are housemates?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boxman posted:

TIL that all of old Looney Tunes is on HBO Max, though, so it’s been a good night. The Looney Tunes show is also good, right? The one where Bugs and Daffy are housemates?
I liked Looney Tunes Show. It was a lot more neurotic than cartoony.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Narrowing down 5 is drat hard.

Secret of NIMH, Atlantis: the Lost Empire, Aladdin, Chicken Run, and, poo poo, way too many choices. Kung Fu Panda

This reminds of high school when I would ask my friends what their top 10 Disney movies were, and for a lot them even just sticking to 10 Disney films was an arduous task for them

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Atlantis? Really? I mean, it had some neat art and a cool aesthetic, but I don't remember it being that great. It has been awhile since I've seen it, though...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would simply not twiddle with the chicken's crotch :lofty:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Spirited Away
Spider-Verse
Prince of Egypt
Resan till Melonia

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m now 50 movies into my WDAS watch through. Tangled gets better every time I watch it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tangled is still my favorite of the modern/new/whatever you wanna call it WDFA movies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey did I post my animation bluray collection in here :3

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cartoon Allstars to the Rescue is getting absolutely no love on these top five list.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You need to swap Over The Hedge and Penguins so Penguins is next to Madagascar

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Top 5 favourites? Right this second, this is what I'm thinking of:

Into the Spider-Verse
Spirited Away
Lego Movie
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Promare

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

Atlantis? Really? I mean, it had some neat art and a cool aesthetic, but I don't remember it being that great. It has been awhile since I've seen it, though...

It’s only been a few weeks since I saw it and I can confirm it’s not good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Atlantis either had not enough drafts or way too many. Really felt a lot like a good concept for a TV series that got crammed into a movie. (which the sequel explicitly was)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It was a toss up between Atlantis and Treasure Planet, but since I looked at this as more "5 movies you would watch at any time" as opposed to other metrics that's where things landed and why things like Spiderverse are absent. I like a lot of animated movies but some I just feel drawn to more strongly than others. I mean, some of my contenders are films that I still love but can only watch under certain circumstances now, such as The Land Before Time. Before my mom passed away 3 years ago I had no issues watching it and enjoying it, but now I can't even get through the opening narration without breaking down

I've also watched Batman v Superman more than any other 2010s comic book movie so perhaps I just stick up for movies that had a big impact on my life but is scorned by many :shrug:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Cartoon Allstars to the Rescue is getting absolutely no love on these top five list.

This is as good a time as any to repost this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF89TMUIxmk

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Atlantis is a mediocre movie that has the promise of a Fantastic miniseries, just nobody did animated TV miniseries back then.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

And then the bits and pieces of the failed TV show were cludged together into an enormously lovely sequel.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
One of my favorite animated things is....The Mascot!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_vWCUxAHc

It's an odd short from the 1930s about, get this: toys who come to life! What are the toys doing while we aren't looking? Also, very intricate puppets and possibly the first use of go-motion

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 28, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ya know, that Cartoon Allstars to the Rescue song is actually pretty catchy. But man listening to it as an adult, the three duck voices are rough

edit: Also Atlantis was good :colbert: Its only real problem to me was that I think it had WAY too many characters. It really didn't need the dirt guy, or the grandma, or the old cowboy man. Vinnie was essential though

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went and re-watched a slew of movies from the Disney renaissance back at the beginning of the pandemic, and Atlantis really just left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever.

The one that surprised me was Pocahontas. Turns out, it's a really gorgeous, charming movie that's absolutely murdered by the fact that it's a horrible interpretation of actual events. If they'd gone the Avatar route and just fictionalized the whole thing, it would have been amazing.

And maybe tone down the goofy animal sidekicks a bit, but that's a constant complaint in most Disney movies from that era.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Boxman posted:

It drives me fuckin nuts that Cats Don’t Dance isn’t available somewhere to stream.

Sadly they only have about 1/4 of all the classic shorts. They have been adding more on occasion at least but WB just can’t seem to bothered to release all of the cartoons for even the popular characters let alone the full collection.

I remember the Looney Tunes show being hit or miss but overall decent. I need to revisit it sometime. You should definitely try the new Looney Tunes Cartoons series though.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Phylodox posted:

I went and re-watched a slew of movies from the Disney renaissance back at the beginning of the pandemic, and Atlantis really just left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever.

The one that surprised me was Pocahontas. Turns out, it's a really gorgeous, charming movie that's absolutely murdered by the fact that it's a horrible interpretation of actual events. If they'd gone the Avatar route and just fictionalized the whole thing, it would have been amazing.

And maybe tone down the goofy animal sidekicks a bit, but that's a constant complaint in most Disney movies from that era.

Speaking of which, why isn't avatar on more lists, it's the biggest, baddest film hollywood ever cooked up. You don't want to mess with Avatar!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Because nobody cares about Avatar.

Unless you're talking about the Nickelodeon show, in which case everyone loves it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Phylodox posted:

Because nobody cares about Avatar.

Unless you're talking about the Nickelodeon show, in which case everyone loves it.

If that's true, why are there five sequels?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are there?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There had better be, otherwise I don't know what those mooks have been spending my tax dollars on

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They keep promising them, and I’ve yet to see a single frame.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The_Doctor posted:

They keep promising them, and I’ve yet to see a single frame.

Supposedly they were in the process of filming the second one and had to shut down due to COVID.

And maybe this is splitting hairs or opening a can of worms or whatever, but I don't really consider Avatar an animated movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spiderverse
Up
Lilo and Stitch
End of Evangelion
WALL-E

Ratatouille was a close 6th, that string of Pixar movies is one of the absolute best stretches any studio's ever had

edit: god spiderverse is so good, I thought about editing my post to put them in more of an order than just what I came up with them in but Spiderverse might legitimately just be my favorite animated film. not only does it take wildly creative leaps in animation that allow it to have a look completely unique among animated movies that very much draws on its comic book heritage it's also just a bunch of things that I love wrapped up into one movie. it's a little miracle considering it sort of came out of nowhere.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 28, 2020

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Does ralph Bakshis rotoscoping count as animation

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Avatar is genuinely bizarre to me, because apparently everyone saw it multiple times and kept talking it up to all their friends to give it insane legs, but virtually no one remembers anything significant about the movie and the slightest mention of it will guaranteed lead to 'haha stupid blue cat people movie.'

It's like society as a whole got embarrassed about it the second it left theaters but not a moment before.

(Someone will have the urge to post "I always thought it was a lovely Noble Savage movie." Resist that urge. I do still laugh at this SNL bit though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Avatar was basically a 3D tech demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I mean, it was basically a higher budget Ferngully + some Pocahontas thrown in. I saw a single time, in Imax 3D when it first came out with a group of friends and honestly it was an awesome movie, probably very enhanced by the 3D. But while it was awesome at the time, and I can't say I've really had the urge to go back and watch it again.

The thing I remember most about the movie is the mech the villain rides in that has a gigantic knife