Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

That is some mighty fine dancing Delacroix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is there any consequence of not getting on the ship before takeoff? (besides not being able to slap the dice around)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Delacroix posted:

I made a suggestion in the official discord about an alt fire for flares that let you place them onto terrain. They would have a lower radius but would last indefinitely so you can mark spots like shortcuts, cave mouths or platforms.

If they added more features to the laser pointer like persistent waypoints or additional markers, that would fix the problem neatly.

You can put a persistent waypoint down with the laster pointer, you just left click and hold for a second.

You only get one and it only is visible for you, but it's something

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there any consequence of not getting on the ship before takeoff? (besides not being able to slap the dice around)

slightly less cash/xp bonus if not everyone escapes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You lose (almost) everything if no one makes it out at all, though. "Leave No Dwarf Behind" isn't really a good motto at all in gameplay terms; I die a little every time some scout leaves the pod to be the rez hero and ends the mission in failure instead :cripes:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm in favor of going for those risky saves but only if someone is staying on the drop pod to secure the win in case it doesn't work

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ah, I meant when leaving the base to start the mission, lol

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What kind of an rear end in a top hat leaves without everyone being in the pod?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I'm in favor of going for those risky saves but only if someone is staying on the drop pod to secure the win in case it doesn't work
If I'm playing scout I agree, otherwise I usually prefer to sit and be the insurance policy :v:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What kind of an rear end in a top hat leaves without everyone being in the pod?!
It's pragmatism!! Besides, some drugs from medbay and some beer and they'll be just fine :colbert:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

bbcisdabomb posted:

You can put a persistent waypoint down with the laster pointer, you just left click and hold for a second.

You only get one and it only is visible for you, but it's something

I mean multiple waypoints visible to teammates, on the terrain scanner and without having the pointer out, I'm well aware of the current waypoint. It would make drilling easier, both as a driller and for a driller teammate.

gandlethorpe posted:

Ah, I meant when leaving the base to start the mission, lol

None at all. I like to stand right where the door is and either hop so I land outside when the door closes or let the door lift me up and clip into the pod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hello Cosmic Afro, funny running into you during a random mission!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anyone else had much experience with lagginess in this game despite a low latency? I'm playing from New Zealand, where "close" on the server list means "NZ" and "medium" means "Australia". When I join an Australian host (there aren't usually more than 1-2 NZ hosts) the game will say I have a ~30ms ping but it frequently feels really laggy. Not always, sometimes it's fine, others I get intermittent lag, others it's more or less unplayable. Haven't had any problems with NZ games. Is it a netcode thing or something related to the host's connection or what?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ciaphas posted:

You lose (almost) everything if no one makes it out at all, though. "Leave No Dwarf Behind" isn't really a good motto at all in gameplay terms; I die a little every time some scout leaves the pod to be the rez hero and ends the mission in failure instead :cripes:
This sounds like something Management would say. :colbert:
The same kind of people that left Karl behind.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone else had much experience with lagginess in this game despite a low latency? I'm playing from New Zealand, where "close" on the server list means "NZ" and "medium" means "Australia". When I join an Australian host (there aren't usually more than 1-2 NZ hosts) the game will say I have a ~30ms ping but it frequently feels really laggy. Not always, sometimes it's fine, others I get intermittent lag, others it's more or less unplayable. Haven't had any problems with NZ games. Is it a netcode thing or something related to the host's connection or what?

Things like jumping is serverside so even a small increase in latency is extremely unpleasant. That said, I'm in Australia and I can play fine with NZ hosts. If it's intermittent, it's likely the host.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Yeah a group that doesn't drink beers before every mission and leaves dwarves behind is no group I want to be part of.

For my best squad ever we had several of the craft beers and one guy bought the antibeer and was yelling at us to drink as the three of us piled into the capsule and another guy typed "I'm no leaf lover." We did the mission drunk, never had a smoother set of completed missions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

threelemmings posted:

Yeah a group that doesn't drink beers before every mission and leaves dwarves behind is no group I want to be part of.

For my best squad ever we had several of the craft beers and one guy bought the antibeer and was yelling at us to drink as the three of us piled into the capsule and another guy typed "I'm no leaf lover." We did the mission drunk, never had a smoother set of completed missions.
If he really wanted everyone to be sober he should have bought everyone a final round of Blackout Stout

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Insert name here posted:

If he really wanted everyone to be sober he should have bought everyone a final round of Blackout Stout

I thought that was the sober beer????

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hello Cosmic Afro, funny running into you during a random mission!

Oh! We had Cosmic Afro in our first-ever EDD completion. I think!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Petition to replace booze with weed

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Wafflecopper posted:

Not sure what your tolerance for lagginess is, but usually I have no problem with medium/far hosts, even for intercontinental pings (noticeable but not crippling). Unless it's a host in China, then the experience is always worse than playing with a higher ping host. Probably the Great Firewall at work.

I have noticed an issue where sometimes the game seems to just drop all network updates for ~15 seconds before resuming, but I haven't pinned down a cause for it yet. Doesn't seem to be network related since it's been happening with two completely different locations/ISPs, so probably something specific to the laptop I'm using. Event log shows nothing whenever I check. :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

weeds? Sounds like leaf munchin to me.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Look at this leaf lover.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If you want something to smoke, next time smuggle some of that Korlok Tyrant-Weed in the pod instead of depositing it. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Really been enjoying this. Been playing Engineer and Driller and got both around level ~15-16. I should probably concentrate on one of them though so I can reach level 25 and unlock all the stuff that requires a promotion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

At least one of the lines for the smart beer they added recently is very suggestive of being high af

isndl posted:

Not sure what your tolerance for lagginess is, but usually I have no problem with medium/far hosts, even for intercontinental pings (noticeable but not crippling).

I used to play Team Fortress Classic on dial up with a 200-300ms ping way back in the day, I can handle a little latency if it's consistent. But when I have issues in DRG it's either because it's inconsistent or because everything has a 1 sec delay

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 28, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really been enjoying this. Been playing Engineer and Driller and got both around level ~15-16. I should probably concentrate on one of them though so I can reach level 25 and unlock all the stuff that requires a promotion.

This is a good idea - just getting your one promotion done unlocks machine events, deep dives, maybe overclocks themselves (idk if you can even forge them before that). All great stuff. There's no more mechanics after that to unlock, but it's a big one

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The first promotion also gives you an extra perk slot which is very welcome

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there still a place where goons actively play this? I checked out the two discords in the OP but they seemed pretty dead (especially the vermintide one).

Pubs have been pretty decent overall, but goons are always fun and more competent than you'd think.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there still a place where goons actively play this? I checked out the two discords in the OP but they seemed pretty dead (especially the vermintide one).

Pubs have been pretty decent overall, but goons are always fun and more competent than you'd think.

Co op goons discord. All the greybeards are just waiting for new content, but the greenbeards push them into playing.

Just make sure you put out a ping on @lfd and you should get a bite.

Revant
Jun 14, 2006
I played this game about a year ago but it seemed like it really lacked a lot of depth as far just being things to earn or way to make your character better. Have they expanded it that much recently?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Revant posted:

I played this game about a year ago but it seemed like it really lacked a lot of depth as far just being things to earn or way to make your character better. Have they expanded it that much recently?

Played a lot when it first released on Steam and this is still an issue. Once you've done the weekly deep dives and core/material hunt there generally isn't that much incentive to keep playing. You can work towards more prestige stars I guess but it's not like that actually does anything past the first one.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Revant posted:

There's promotions, unlockable weapons, weapon mods, overclocks, and cosmetics (dwarf and pickaxe). How much that keeps you engaged is a personal sort of thing.

For me the meat of the game has always been working through the procedurally generated maps anyways, hunting down unlocks is just gravy. Anything that has a quantifiable gameplay effect is generally relatively easy to get because the devs don't want to turn the game into a grind, with the notable exception of the overclock RNG.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I play cause the game is fun.

Besides, there’s achievements to grind out of you really want a long tail for the game. Legendary Team is multiple hundreds of hours to earn.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RyokoTK posted:

heresy

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RyokoTK posted:

Besides, there’s achievements to grind out of you really want a long tail for the game. Legendary Team is multiple hundreds of hours to earn.

Me too. This is one of the rare games I'm finding I can play over and over just because it's fun to play. If I get upgrades or find extra paint jobs for weapons or whatever while I'm having fun anyway, great!

Actually though I think one of the biggest reasons the game keeps me interested is that the cave randomization engine is really top notch. I've never felt like I've been to the same place twice in 70 hours. I always feel like I'm discovering new places. This goes doubly so because just getting around the caves themselves is like half the game, so the specific way all the caves are shaped and structured actually matters.

I think that's why the game has the legs it does. On paper, sure it's "get dropped off in cave -> kill bugs -> get minerals/fix pod/collect eggs -> race back to escape pod" over and over times infinity, but the secret is that the landscape is vastly different every time you dive, and it heavily influences each run, if not defining it outright. The danger with procgen games like this is that if the randomization is lazy, then after a while it feel like you're just doing the same thing against a slightly different background, but this game feels about as far from that as it could.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 29, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've actually been really impressed by some of the massive caverns I've ended up stumbling into.

Also I love how the only audio thing you can do besides the ping system is just a generic cheer. It just seems to engender eager friendliness

Rock and Stone! :black101:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

This is a good idea - just getting your one promotion done unlocks... maybe overclocks themselves

Yeah this is correct. Deep Dives and the weekly Core Hunt are both unlocked by getting your first promotion and without them there's no way to get cores to forge.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Rock and Stone! :black101:

To the bone! :black101:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Delacroix posted:

As requested by Unsinkabear, how to evade gunfire by moving:

https://i.imgur.com/MVjKyra.mp4

Excuse you, I did not ask to be shown up this hard. I see you with that melee finish at the end. :colbert:

But legit, I appreciate the follow-up! No idea why this didn't work in my first encounter. Maybe we were all sloppy from fear (it's this), or maybe it's tougher to do with guns that use sustained fire rather than the breach cutter which you can just pop off at the edge of each zig/zag? I think I posted about it already, but I definitely had a much easier time taking those parasites out on my second and third encounters, where I was more upgraded and had the BC instead of the PGL. Thanks to whoever pointed out that you can fire that poo poo through cover (and teammates, because you'll take that friendly fire perk from my dead, clumsy, aoe-happy hands). :black101:

Speaking of, I almost exclusively see people using the three line upgrade on the BC. I'm bad and even I don't have a problem leading the single line to hit whole packs or individual praes/oppressors/dreads, so I don't get why you'd give up the other two upgrade options. Is it just people who have Return to Sender making it easier to get hits on the return leg, or does nobody else like stun+plasma trail?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I could do the same thing with the shotty, I'd just circle strafe the robbit instead.

Triple line breach cutter has an easier time to make sure you're doing optimal damage (it doesn't increase damage) due to higher clearance, you can hit a swarm on the ground and the bugs climbing down from a wall with the same shot.

It'll also shred more surface area covered by armour. A large AoE is ideal for the nade launcher, why wouldn't the breach cutter be the same? It makes a big difference on uneven terrain, not to mention the results speak for itself on mactera plague missions. Combined with Return To Sender, I can make sure I'm making the most of every shot which is what I want.

The other two upgrades are underwhelming but there's a niche case for the plasma trail with the spinning death overclock at least.