Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Wesley snitchin' it up at the Academy came as no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Wesley as bad as his reputation?

I haven’t seen TNG

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/manuintiraymi/status/1287959067642589185?s=21

I just wanted to post the saddest thing I’ve seen today

Holy poo poo the av pic that literally says "icheb" on top of it all

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

Holy poo poo the av pic that literally says "icheb" on top of it all

it says 'ring icheb back'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Icheb goatse when?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This is beyond the edge of greatness

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

proper use of space magic

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

While trying to find his full av picture where the left part is not cut (while contemplating the possibility of just adding a goatse instead) I found a perfect picture of nutrek

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sponges posted:

I haven’t seen TNG

Honest answer: yes and no. Early TNG he's pretty unbearable and just ugh. Once he goes to the Academy and comes back he's a decent character and has a couple good episodes focused on him.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

sponges posted:

I haven’t seen TNG

TNG is only Star Trek I've seen so far and I wasn't aware of anything within the fandom; just saw that Wesley is universally maligned. I don't think he's necessarily that bad to have the 'reputation,' but the episode I'm talking about kind of ends with him snitching on his team when the rest were all down to keep their mouth shut. I mean Picard did threaten to reveal everything even if Wesley didn't say poo poo I guess, but still snitchin' fit his character.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Wesley is an excellent portrayal of a teenage nerd who somehow stumbled into a job on a starship because his mom works there.

He was too real for most fans.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There are 2 or 3 really corny Wesley moments in the first season that felt like they belonged on a kid's show. Other than that he's basically fine.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sponges posted:

I haven’t seen TNG

season 1 Wesley is clearly intended to be annoying enough that you’d sympathize with Picard for getting pissed off at him. Unfortunately like a lot of things in early TNG, they really overdid it, he’s far too annoying. He gets toned down a lot in season 2-3 and then kicked off to Starfleet academy, which means that his appearances after that are much less grating because they can write episodes that have some logical reason to be about him rather than having him be a ridiculous boy genius who constantly saves the day from bumbling adults.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

S1-S2 of TNG are generally terrible and Wesley is just one ingredient in that disaster.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheaton was 15 in season 1 so you have a combination of child actor being given terrible dialogue that's intended to make him look annoying.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Poor Yoshi O'Brien. Got his father's looks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Omg bug sweater!!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

If anything, DS9 was really weird for having a Chinese woman play a Japanese woman who is inordinately fond of old school culture and comes across as worse of a weeb than Worf and Klingon culture.

Eyes off TOS and TNG casting

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wesley was annoying early on. However, 11 year old me thought his field promotion in "Ménage à Troi" was loving awesome and was the ultimate nerd insert at the end of the episode when he reports for duty in full uniform instead of the dumb clothes they had him wear all the time.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

S1-S2 of TNG are generally terrible and Wesley is just one ingredient in that disaster.

TNG is first Star Trek I've watched (as mentioned), up to S6 but I skipped S1+2 for these reasons/I was told to by a thread here or someshit most likely. Should I just watch the first two seasons eventually for any backstory or is it just not worth it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I hope you didn't skip ALL of those two seasons because there are some standout episodes in there including one of the best (if not the best) "The Measure of a Man".

And the finale doesn't make a lot of sense without the pilot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

knox posted:

TNG is first Star Trek I've watched (as mentioned), up to S6 but I skipped S1+2 for these reasons/I was told to by a thread here or someshit most likely. Should I just watch the first two seasons eventually for any backstory or is it just not worth it?

It's not 100% terrible and there is actually some so-bad-it's-good stuff like Conspiracy that's so far from what TNG became it's almost astonishing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'll just quote myself from a few pages ago:

Sir Lemming posted:

Nearly at the end of my own TNG "re" watch (in which I've discovered that I probably never even saw half the episodes) I have to say there's really no easy answer. There are good and mediocre episodes sprinkled throughout. Season 1 gets off to a really rough start, but on the whole I would not describe it as significantly worse. It's a different vibe, a little more TOS, and without established characters as an anchor, I guess the bad episodes are less redeemable. But it's also kind of exciting for the same reason. There are a lot of episodes in there that I'd rather watch than any of the "Troi falls in love with some evil diplomat" episodes in later seasons.

It's less good seasons vs. bad seasons, and more Best Episodes vs. Everything Else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

Omg bug sweater!!

Awww.

(Well picked by costuming, too, Keiko probably works a lot with bugs. Botanists always end up being begrudging entomologists.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's like a million ethnic Chinese walking around Japan right now. They're a bigger percentage of the Japanese population than Koreans are in the US, for instance. Doesn't seem like a massive stretch that a person that's Japanese culturally in the 2370s could be ethnically Chinese.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man I just saw an early study of the Enterprise-E and it looks so much nicer without all the little jaggies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They all do :ssh:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

While trying to find his full av picture where the left part is not cut (while contemplating the possibility of just adding a goatse instead) I found a perfect picture of nutrek

Yep, nobody ever died in Star Trek until Picard.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I'll just quote myself from a few pages ago:

Yeah makes sense, thanks for replies I'll definitely watch them. Lol @ the Troi evil diplomat episodes.

Ideal woman to be honest, Riker needed to boss up here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I just saw an early study of the Enterprise-E and it looks so much nicer without all the little jaggies

Still has the dumb indents on the port and starboard sides of the saucer though. :(

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Angry Salami posted:

Yep, nobody ever died in Star Trek until Picard.

Pointlessly, one of ex-main cast, with gore on screen?

ps
also reread the text on the picture please

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 29, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
His death acted as motivation for a major cast member, which is more than Yar, Jadzia, or Kirk got.

And it feels a little disingenuous to be complaining about too much gore while also claiming he looked fine and should have been easy to heal.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The whole Icheb thing was idiotic lol, only a few viewers of the show would've known who he was anyway. They should've kept Seven's change in personality closer to the chest and done flashbacks of what they were up to together for an episode and then next episode reveal his death and what is driving Seven for revenge. Doing it all in one episode right off the bat was not good storytelling. Show don't tell.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

knox posted:

S2 has some of the best episodes in Star Trek (Q Who, Measure of a Man, Up the Long Ladder)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The long ladder is the Irish woman's legs and Riker goes up the long ladder

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pointlessly, one of ex-main cast, with gore on screen?

ps
also reread the text on the picture please

haha I get it it's monty python!!!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

S2 has some of the best episodes in Star Trek (Q Who, Measure of a Man, Up the Long Ladder)

You forgot Outrageous Okona

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

The whole Icheb thing was idiotic lol, only a few viewers of the show would've known who he was anyway. They should've kept Seven's change in personality closer to the chest and done flashbacks of what they were up to together for an episode and then next episode reveal his death and what is driving Seven for revenge. Doing it all in one episode right off the bat was not good storytelling. Show don't tell.
Yes, I still don’t understand why you put that as the opening of the episode. Seven only showed up for two seconds in the previous episode so it would have been so much better for the story if they teased why she is on this quest for vengeance all of a sudden. Instead it’s just done in the most exploitative way

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The TOS Episode "Court Martial" was pretty good, although it does seem weird how the prosecution does not have to present any evidence other than the computer tapes. You would think finding the jettisoned pod and/or a body would be pretty important.

The twist was pretty good, although I expected the turn of the angry kid to be indicative of her having learned the truth of the twist, rather than just being convinced of the captains morals by a few letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thotsky posted:

The TOS Episode "Court Martial" was pretty good, although it does seem weird how the prosecution does not have to present any evidence other than the computer tapes. You would think finding the jettisoned pod and/or a body would be pretty important.

The twist was pretty good, although I expected the turn of the angry kid to be indicative of her having learned the truth of the twist, rather than just being convinced of the captains morals by a few letters.
It’s a good episode but I agree. Plus the whole time I was like ‘those tapes have to be fakes’ which is what ends up happening

I think there is typically a lower bar for guilt in a military court so that may be why that was the only evidence