Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Does ralph Bakshis rotoscoping count as animation

Of course, and incidentally the invention and use of the rotoscope coincide with the invention what one might consider modern application of weight, secondary action and acting theory, as opposed to more freeform "rubber" "hose" cartoons. All the nine old man crap. They rotoscoped snow white, they rotoscoped gulliver's travels....Many backgrounds on popeye are rotoscoped 3d sets!

Which, also, is why Avatar is animated. So is gollum and star wars! Even the old ones. These are all silly fantasies and should not consider themselves diminished because it is 85% the same as a pixar movie. So is wall-e, it is 15% fred willard. And the animation is the best part of either terminator movie! C'mahn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I have no strong feelings on Avatar, but when the sequel comes out it's going to make billions of dollars and every one is going to see it and we'd best come to terms with that now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have no strong feelings on Avatar, but when the sequel comes out it's going to make billions of dollars and every one is going to see it and we'd best come to terms with that now.

I mean, I'm gonna see it, and I'm not particularity excited about it one way or the other :shrug:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Avatar 2 is like a movie cryptid, up there with Space jam 2 and the Uncharted movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

And the animation is the best part of either terminator movie! C'mahn

Kinda harsh against T2 considering there's like five minutes of cgi-animation in that movie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I registered a treatment of Space Jam 2 with the writers guild of america.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The song that came out with Avatar is still good though.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also Atlantis was good :colbert: Its only real problem to me was that I think it had WAY too many characters. It really didn't need the dirt guy, or the grandma, or the old cowboy man. Vinnie was essential though

Vinnie and Helga were the best characters and I'd watch a movie about them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pixeltendo posted:

Avatar 2 is like a movie cryptid, up there with Space jam 2 and the Uncharted movie.

It's definitely one of those movies you hear about forever in development hell, and maybe this huge name has been cast, and this director has been attached, etc. Then you stop hearing about it and you assume it went away. Then one day you're walking past DVDs in the store, and you see a cover that catches your eye, and you realise it's that movie, it got made, it came out, and now it's on home media, and this whole time it completely passed you by somehow.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i know someone working on it who's been seeing finished renders, the studio is probably just delaying release so they can get that sweet, sweet theater money and earn over a billion dollars

lego movie
who framed roger rabbit
aladdin
cloudy with a chance of meatballs
shrek 2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can we talk about how Shrek 2 has one of the best climaxes in any movie ever made

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

Can we talk about how Shrek 2 has one of the best climaxes in any movie ever made

Look, enjoy movies however you want but we don’t need to know what you do while watching Shrek 2

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The funny thing is, Avatar 2 isn't even in development hell, per se. It's been actively in production for a few years now, and the only reason it's currently on hold is because of COVID; if it weren't for the hellvirus we'd be getting it next Christmas.

We haven't actually seen anything notable from it, but that's almost certainly a deliberate choice because they're waiting to have enough finished effects to show off, so they can avoid an Alita situation where the mockup trailer effects end up being a PR nightmare.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, the music really fits the-

Hedrigall posted:

Look, enjoy movies however you want but we don’t need to know what you do while watching Shrek 2

....This is the funniest thing I have ever read in this thread, thank you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was very tempted to include Flight of Dragons in my top 5. It may not have stellar animation but it is such a fun movie and one of the few times where the scientist is actually totally wowed by magic, but also breaks it down into scientific principles while not being a total :spergin: about it

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Aces High posted:

I was very tempted to include Flight of Dragons in my top 5. It may not have stellar animation but it is such a fun movie and one of the few times where the scientist is actually totally wowed by magic, but also breaks it down into scientific principles while not being a total :spergin: about it

I love the theme song but there is some real weird line reads all throughout the movie

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh my god Animal Crackers is finally out, on Netflix US.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boxman posted:

Oh my god Animal Crackers is finally out, on Netflix US.

Is it good...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its been on Netflix Japan a while and I won't watch it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aces High posted:

:blush::respek::grin:

drat right.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Animal Crackers: It's alright. Not nearly as bad as Indiewire tried to make it out to be. Gilbert Gottfried's character kind of steals the show.

It's better than The Nut Job.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If anyone's ever failed to see "Odor-Able Kitty", the first Pepe Le Pew cartoon, it's definitely worth seeing as a curiosity because it is entirely different from the rest.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

If anyone's ever failed to see "Odor-Able Kitty", the first Pepe Le Pew cartoon, it's definitely worth seeing as a curiosity because it is entirely different from the rest.

Man, that skunk is even more of a scum bag in that one. He has a wife and kids! And he's FAKING his accent!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Taking a break from Friday the 13th since I want to watch Jason Takes Manhattan with my New Yorker friend.

Song of the Sea is such a gorgeous looking movie. All these guys' movies are just stunning.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The thing I remember the most about avatar is the alien beasts coming to fight the mechas, mostly because I love battles with creatures in them. I only sort of like Narnia but I've rewatched the final battle between Aslan's forces and the Ice Queen's multiple times.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1288822147666923523

I'm already fully invested in the next Pixar film.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Starting Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Hedrigall posted:

Starting Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer

The exact joke I was going to make reading that description.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It would have been better if my phone didn’t autocorrect starring to starting :negative:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I would love if it was a queer coming-of-age story but obviously not going to get my hopes up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shneak posted:

I would love if it was a queer coming-of-age story but obviously not going to get my hopes up.

Too late, mine are already up, sky high!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
With music by Suzanne Vega.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think pixar should make a documentary with digital cameras, or a gritty realist neonoir. Give a crew of new hires three cheap cameras and see what happens. It should be rated R. There should be no Computer Goofery.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FunkyAl posted:

I think pixar should make a documentary with digital cameras, or a gritty realist neonoir. Give a crew of new hires three cheap cameras and see what happens. It should be rated R. There should be no Computer Goofery.
What if Film Students employees had Feelings?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FunkyAl posted:

Computer Goofery is definitely in the top tier of Goofy shorts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m not sure how personal preference is colouring it, but I feel like they’re deliberately bringing/allowing ‘Call me by your name’ comparisons?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Considering their LGBT representation up to this point, I have a pretty good sense that there's not gonna be much of that in this film.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I dunno, there's a lot of demand right now for stronger queer representation, and I'm sure Disney knows how abysmal their track record is in that department - I could see a Pixar movie being a good way for them to be a little more bold.

That said, if that's what this movie is, literally everyone would compare it to Call Me By Your Name, so who knows how likely that will be.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The first Pixar film with an all-gay police force

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FunkyAl posted:

The first Pixar film with an all-gay police force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is a cynical take, but I've always thought we'd finally get a gay Disney film the second it becomes financially beneficial to do so, and I think homosexuality has become mainstream enough that a movie with a gay protagonist would be significantly cost effective enough to become a reality.