Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Capn Beeb posted:

Tranq ammo in the varmint rifle is strange, figured shooting a beaver in the head with it would be a pretty quick nap time, but I had to keep shooting a bunch. Freed a wolf at a poacher camp and half expected it to slink away but instead it attacked me, so welp honor go down I guess.

Naturalist update is kinda weird.

At least animals and camps work now, didn't have a single disconnect. My private lobby firewall trick doesn't work anymore though, disconnected inside of a minute.

It's really weird, shooting an animal 14 times in the rear end with "sedative" bullets doesn't exactly feel like conservation. It's just a much sillier, much more difficult form of hunting.

Spent an hour running around collecting random samples, handed a bunch in and didn't even get enough xp to get to level 2 or enough money to cover the ammo. Maybe it's better once you start hunting legendaries?

Plus Harriet knows when you've been killing animals so you can't even work on the trader role at the same time.

And despite them making a big thing out of the two separate paths there's no actual way to progress the role if you hand stuff into the skinner.

Where do you get the missions from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's really weird, shooting an animal 14 times in the rear end with "sedative" bullets doesn't exactly feel like conservation. It's just a much sillier, much more difficult form of hunting.

Spent an hour running around collecting random samples, handed a bunch in and didn't even get enough xp to get to level 2 or enough money to cover the ammo. Maybe it's better once you start hunting legendaries?

Plus Harriet knows when you've been killing animals so you can't even work on the trader role at the same time.

And despite them making a big thing out of the two separate paths there's no actual way to progress the role if you hand stuff into the skinner.

Where do you get the missions from?

Harriet has missions at level 5.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I regret the gold I spent on this. The naturalist missions are not fun, especially getting eaten by the poached wolves I released, twice, even though I pumped a dozen tranq rounds into them. Chased a boar and shot it about 20 times before it stopped running. I can't see myself bothering with this.

EDIT:

I think I need to take my Cripps to the doctor. :stonk:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 28, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

Harriet has missions at level 5.

ok but how do you even level up? It's like 50xp for every sample you hand in and 1500xp per level, do I just have to grind out 150 animal samples in the meantime?

I really feel like I'm missing something with this role.

e: searching around it seems like this is it, reddit recommends farming gators and farm animals for the first levels, apparently tranq bullets don't get you a wanted level at Emerald Ranch.

Also it looks like it's possible to stumble on legendary animals to trade into Gus for the cool outfits even without spending 25g on the role so, uh, maybe save your gold since that seems like the best content anyway? You'll miss out on perks and maps to legendaries though so not sure how practical that route will be.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 28, 2020

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
If you sell a sample you get a tiny bit of cash. Hardly anything. Is it like collector where if you sell an entire set it’s worth more?

It says the lady doesn’t like it if you kill animals, but is there an actually in game effect or does she just grump at you while you turn in your samples?

Also the revives I don’t get. Is it literally 5 bucks to gain a pittance of role xp? I think I just need to wait until someone makes a guide.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you kill a bunch of animals (20?) next time you see her she'll dose you with LSD again and won't interact with you for a few minutes.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, especially if it's in a herd and you lose track of which one you've been pumping full of drugs as they all flee. My friend and I were playing together and having one of us lasso and hold the animal still while the other shot it full of sedative, which also felt weird, but at least we could take more careful shots and not feel like we were wasting any. I think it would've made more sense if you only had to shoot it with the sedative once, and then track it until it passed out. Same with reviving; might have felt better if you could either spend the money to revive immediately, or have to wait around a few extra seconds to make sure it comes around fine on its own, maybe with the risk of a predator trying to sneak up on it or something.

Shame so far, because I was really interested in the idea of the role. I love filling out the compendium in singleplayer, and the idea of doing the same online, with the addition of having to take pictures of them all, seemed neat! But so far it's just felt weird and a bit confusing, what with the apparent two paths and the lady getting pissy even if you were doing hunting for a different role.

Also apologies to the fella I got into a firefight with, I swear I was just trying to shoot a pig full of drugs, not attacking your delivery wagon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, I am not finding this fun at all. First I wasted hours of work because of a bug that caused me to not gain any naturalist XP for studying animals (if you don't get XP for studying them, go in the menu and respawn).

It's just crossing items off a list, doing x y and z to every single animal, except instead of a easy-to-use list it's all buried multiple menus deep. And being forced to switch back and forth between the camera and binoculars really shows the limitations of the dumb wheel menu.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The poachers you kill on her missions carry a bunch of pelts and animal materials you can sell to Cripps. Some of the trinkets you can get from Gus seem useful, but trying to get the jewelry required to make them is going to be real fun if the collecting spots got changed up like it seems.

The number of tranq bullets required to bring animals down seems ridiculous and yeah, I don't get the point of trying to reviving, though tbh I haven't even bothered.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

ElTacoGato posted:

I think it would've made more sense if you only had to shoot it with the sedative once, and then track it until it passed out.

Yes, obviously this. Like a grizzly bear I can understand taking 4 or 5 rounds to bring down but it takes 3 rounds just for an opossum. Most animals should be 1 shot.

I really enjoy hunting in this game but having to chase down animals on horseback while shooting them dozens of times is just dumb.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

On the other hand, you can turn people into the headless horseman with the elephant rifle. Sometimes they'll even ride on, sans head, like nothing happened until you shoot them off.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

elephant rifle and fixed animal spawns alone save this update

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ElTacoGato posted:

I think it would've made more sense if you only had to shoot it with the sedative once, and then track it until it passed out.

It's kind of crazy that it doesn't work this way, since MGS2 figured this out 19 years ago, and I assume wasn't even the first game to do it

Sounds like i'll be passing on the naturalist role but if they finally fixed the animal and camp bugs then that's worth coming back for at least

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Where's the new dude who buys animal parts? I didn't see him in Strawberry after the intro. Not likely to use him since Cripps needs everything I find, but I was curious what he was selling.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Where's the new dude who buys animal parts? I didn't see him in Strawberry after the intro. Not likely to use him since Cripps needs everything I find, but I was curious what he was selling.

He's got a few camps dotted around the map with the trapper icon from single player.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

He's got a few camps dotted around the map with the trapper icon from single player.

Yeah, he shows up in the index in the merchant section (not strangers) as "Gus"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Tranq bullets were a dumb idea when we've got this hot jazz to play with. Lemme make some sleepy time arrows!

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Capn Beeb posted:

Tranq bullets were a dumb idea when we've got this hot jazz to play with. Lemme make some sleepy time arrows!

Definitely should have made tranquilizer arrows. Although then you run into the issue of needing flight feathers....

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Tragedienne posted:

Definitely should have made tranquilizer arrows. Although then you run into the issue of needing flight feathers....

Flight arrows just require birb slaughter, or going to Madame Nazar and paying cash.

hosed around some earlier (d3ealing with a bad tooth, so am kinda "as I can" right now), and LOL the dozen or so people idling all around Strawberry trying to figure poo poo out. Also, all the .22s popping like it's New Year's Eve.

Weird bug where killing critters advanced the "critters killed" progress by entire levels at a time.

YOU KILLED TEN ANIMALS
YOU KILLED 100 ANIMALS
YOU KILLED 250 ANIMALS
YOU KILLED A THOUSAND ANIMALS (reset)
YOU KILLED TEN ANIMALS

And so on. (Numbers may be off, but I maxed out my animal-murder cheevo already.)

Outlaw Pass 3, you get 5 free gold just for making level 3, so spend that gold to make gold yo.

Pelt despawn seems to be gone, and more random encounters are happening - bought a treasure map off a dude, found one stabbed to a tree, and then did my best to rescue someone from three cougars - sniping at a distance with my bolt-action wasn't killing them, though.

*Lots* of animals now. Now I just have to figure out the Wilderness Camp, and see how hosed up the jeanropke map is now.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Reddit recommends farming gators and farm animals for the first levels, apparently tranq bullets don't get you a wanted level at Emerald Ranch..

Can confirm, you can load up at Emerald, you can take 10 samples of any one animal type

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So you have to take samples from animals?

Do I mutilate cattle and catch them in balls too?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I snoozed a bunch of sheep to sample them and that went fine, but when I shot an ox the farmer got mad. I had to settle for looking at them through binocs to study them, and then taking photos. Purely for scientific reasons, of course.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
Yeah you can get 10 sheep at emerald farm real quick l for 570xp. Is there any other animal pens around?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Dick Trauma posted:

I snoozed a bunch of sheep to sample them and that went fine, but when I shot an ox the farmer got mad. I had to settle for looking at them through binocs to study them, and then taking photos. Purely for scientific reasons, of course.

I play exclusively singleplayer and this post makes me want to stroll online and run into a 19th Century Spagett

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Tranq ammo in the varmint rifle is strange, figured shooting a beaver in the head with it would be a pretty quick nap time, but I had to keep shooting a bunch.

The field guide isn't real specific in the animal descriptions and says things like a few shots, multiple shots, several shots, a large ammount, etc...

What I finally noticed is when using the tranq ammo watch your crosshairs on each shot, when they change from white to red you've pumped enough dope into what you're shooting and you just need to follow it until it passes out.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

New update is fun. Studied animals and shot their butts with .22 tranq and got a single level of the new Outlaw Pass...and then promptly got attacked by a level 16 and a level 38 who pushed me to level 10 in the outlaw pass. Thanks for continually running at me and getting me free XP idiots! :thumbsup:

In other news, the talismans are absolutely phenomenal. The 10% reduction on weapon durability loss is godly, particularly because I find myself in protracted fights with multiple people sometimes for an hour or two.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

antisocial86 posted:

Yeah you can get 10 sheep at emerald farm real quick l for 570xp. Is there any other animal pens around?
My go to pens:
Sheep goats cows and ox at Emerald
Pigs at Flatneck
Cows oxen and bulls at Mattock Pond

Clavavisage fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 29, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The hat selection Gus has is absolutely amazing. They're so stupid and great.

Edit: Harriet does not approve of my stupid raccoon hat.

Edit 2: https://twitter.com/Jimbot256/status/1288318838027751430

Not seen: me following the grizzly for another minute because I didn't quite understand the mechanics of the tranq stuff yet. Also a minute later that same bear waking up and charging me. I put it down with my elephant gun. I felt bad. You can't skin animals you take samples from.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2020

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
If you’re playing with a posse you probably already know this but for those riding solo, you can take samples from animals other players have tranquilized. Two other players and I put every animal at Emerald Ranch to sleep and saved each other a bit of ammo.

Speaking of riding solo... outlaw pass gives a Lone Ranger mask at level 40 something and I think there’s already a pretty passable version of the rest of his outfit.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

First thing I did with the elephant gun was blow myself backwards off a cliff

I love it!

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
The sheer amount of animals running around now is absurd. I've been herding 30 deer in front of me every time I run around emerald station.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have added the Naturalist horses to the guide.

Great cores. Terrible speed and acceleration. Out of the top tier horses, it ranks 6 out of 8.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wait, different colors of the same breed have different stats? I thought that as I leveled up my roles I was just getting access to different skins for the same type of horse. I might be high enough level to get the top grade Collector horse, upgrading from my L1 Criollo.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I have a theory I need to go test but I think if you shoot them in the heart with a tranq it'll take them down quicker?

I'm sure I took down a goat with one, without having to unload on the drat thing like I did on the sheep

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I took down a black bear with 3 tranquilizer shots, just had to follow him a while, I think if they get far away enough the tranquilizer won't work but if you keep them in sight they'll eventually collapse.

Also I was attacked by a cougar, my horse threw me down, I unloaded something like 10 tranquilizer shots on it and he managed to attack me once, then turned tail and fled. I pursued and sure enough, it collapsed shortly after.

I got shot with tranquilizer too by a random guy but it's my fault, I got in front of his prey. Gives you a wobbly screen for a while, it's cool.

Just one thing - it seems if I kill animals I get Harriet pissed off, anyone knows if that's permanent or will lock you out or anything? I'm not about to stop murdering wildlife, now that it's finally available. The moustache'd guy seems a much nicer guy, his "let's murder animals and make pelts and statues out of them" resonates a lot more with me. Can I work for him instead?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 29, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, different colors of the same breed have different stats? I thought that as I leveled up my roles I was just getting access to different skins for the same type of horse. I might be high enough level to get the top grade Collector horse, upgrading from my L1 Criollo.

I don't know what your overall level is, but you should just save up for a Black Arabian. That handling is amazing. It's stats are also the highest overall.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 29, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Word on the street is the naturalist horse has top tier bravery around predators but that's one of those hidden stats that's hard to measure and can apparently vary a lot.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah can someone explain if you can do the new role and trader together? is it a branching path?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TorakFade posted:

Just one thing - it seems if I kill animals I get Harriet pissed off, anyone knows if that's permanent or will lock you out or anything? I'm not about to stop murdering wildlife, now that it's finally available. The moustache'd guy seems a much nicer guy, his "let's murder animals and make pelts and statues out of them" resonates a lot more with me. Can I work for him instead?

I strongly disapprove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

zooted heh posted:

yeah can someone explain if you can do the new role and trader together? is it a branching path?

From what I've read on reddit/discord it seems like Harriet just won't work with you if you killed animals recently. You can get around it by waiting a while before you talk to her or switching instances.

I can't confirm this myself, I tried to play again, fired up a treasure map, got to the map location, got mauled by a bear, respawned, got shot by players, found the treasure (only .7 gold) and got an infinite loading screen when I tried to fast travel so I just decided to stop playing.