Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I think Cuba with Castro would be a cool one, but they probably want to shy away from doing figures that contemporary and controversial (no Stalin or Mao like Civ 1-4). Similarly (but wouldn't make QUITE as many people mad), Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso would be cool, but he was only leader of a small country for four years, not exactly an empire.

Yeah, speaking as a Cuban, if I had to choose between never seeing Cuba in a 4x game or seeing it in one with Castro as a leader, I'd rather have the first option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

RESOURCES EXIST TO BE CONSUMED

i was actually telling killgoldfish the other day when we were talking about civ 6 to just play SMAC instead if he has never played it just to do a playthrough and see the story, it has such good writing for a 4X game, a genre where you don't actually have to have any writing at all but those madmen did it anyway!!!

I have no idea how well the gameplay holds up

probably not amazing other than like the huge amount of flexibility but the game was pretty breakable especially if you use a lot of supply crawlers spoilered in case someone doesn't want to know how to easily crush the game

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Spiffing Brit is ridiculous at breaking the game's balance over his knee. Now, I don't begrudge him that: some games exist to be abused. Hell, some are designed to be abused.

...I'm thinking of the Disgaea series. They have a really high post-game level cap but a zillion ways to powerlevel so you don't need to waste time grinding. You either break the game or the game breaks you.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Spiffing Brit is ridiculous at breaking the game's balance over his knee. Now, I don't begrudge him that: some games exist to be abused. Hell, some are designed to be abused.

...I'm thinking of the Disgaea series. They have a really high post-game level cap but a zillion ways to powerlevel so you don't need to waste time grinding. You either break the game or the game breaks you.

yeah you can get to ilke level 9999 in disgaea and the story boss probably caps out at 100 something

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Speedball posted:

He sure is good at getting told "hey here's how to break the game" then following those instructions

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Cultists are pretty hilarious. Egypt went into a dark age next door to me, and I flipped half their empire just with cultist spam.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Cultists are pretty hilarious. Egypt went into a dark age next door to me, and I flipped half their empire just with cultist spam.

Am I going insane or were Cultists always only unlocked in the Industrial era and not sooner?

Voidsingers are still pretty dang decent in general. I need to try an Eleanor of Aquitaine Voidsinger run to see how much I can ruin my opponent's day.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The RNG unlock is really painful. I wish there were some later era techs to unlock any society of your choice as at least a guarantee if you get screwed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eimi posted:

The RNG unlock is really painful. I wish there were some later era techs to unlock any society of your choice as at least a guarantee if you get screwed.

There is. Spying. Get to "secret" level of diplomatic visibility with a civ that has the society of your choice and boom you're in.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingcobweb posted:

He sure is good at getting told "hey here's how to break the game" then following those instructions

Well he does admit when he's following someone else's instructions, at least. I almost couldn't believe that a no-city win was possible so I was glad to watch his version of it! I'm pretty sure he save scummed some of the world Congress votes but he got the point across.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speedball posted:

There is. Spying. Get to "secret" level of diplomatic visibility with a civ that has the society of your choice and boom you're in.

Ah good to know! I'm not one to gently caress around with spying stuff much so never would've found out naturally.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eimi posted:

Ah good to know! I'm not one to gently caress around with spying stuff much so never would've found out naturally.

I think they mention it in the Civilopedia entry on secret societies gameplay but yeah it's easy to miss.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
These new game mods feel like the dev team is amatuerishly modding their own game, and it's honestly loving great. I really hope they do a single/multiplayer game mode with the alien assets they put in for Red Death, and maybe something with dinosaurs. Because I'm 1200 hours into Civ 6 at this point, so WHY FUCKIN NOT!?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Alien invasion mode, yes! Wild Earth dinosaur mode! The sinking planet mode where global warming is accelerated and every tile eventually sinks, even flood barriers!

I'd love some more historical scenarios, like I don't remember who did it but someone made a World War 2 map in an earlier Civ and it was super fun to play. and see if you could win.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Nucular Carmul posted:

These new game mods feel like the dev team is amatuerishly modding their own game, and it's honestly loving great. I really hope they do a single/multiplayer game mode with the alien assets they put in for Red Death, and maybe something with dinosaurs. Because I'm 1200 hours into Civ 6 at this point, so WHY FUCKIN NOT!?

I think Total War: Warhammer 2 and Stellaris have demonstrated pretty robustly that enabling gimmick builds and interesting mechanics that can break the game's balance in half is actually a good thing that can then be handled by the community as needed for MP (No X going for Y style houserules) or toned down with post release nerfs but ideally buffs to less viable play styles. It keeps the meta developing over the lifetime of the game while it allows for interesting gambits with the additional use of being able to tell new people something like "Pick civ/faction X and do Y while fiddling with Z. You will learn core game mechanics while being fairly safe against most situations." While Dwarf Fortress' whole "Losing is fun" is an excellent mantra, it takes a certain level of developed knowledge to actually understand why you're losing, and having strong/broken choices to start out on can really help establish that baseline. You don't teach someone boxing by beating the poo poo out of them and the same should apply to 4Xs by this point, its a deeply established genre (yes yes, I know TWH and Stellaris aren't classic 4Xs, whatever).

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah it's great it's literally a toggle you can flip. Do you want to use this new stuff or not? Up to you.

I'm excited for 6 months from now when you can add apocalypse, secret societies, aliens, pandemic mode, etc., and have them all going on at the same time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually think like overpowered synergies are fun to discover, like when I figured out i could use ancestral hall/Monetzuma/serfdom to pump out cities that essentially got a free district that seemed super strong

That's not game breaking though I guess

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Alien invasion mode, yes! Wild Earth dinosaur mode! The sinking planet mode where global warming is accelerated and every tile eventually sinks, even flood barriers!

I'd love some more historical scenarios, like I don't remember who did it but someone made a World War 2 map in an earlier Civ and it was super fun to play. and see if you could win.

civ 2 gold had a bunch of crazy total mods like this and they were great

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Y'all should try Scythia and go Sanguine Pact. Vampires are nuts yo, and it doesn't matter whose units die near them, so even though the horse archers are pretty weak, they're cheap and get into position to die quite easily.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Y'all should try Scythia and go Sanguine Pact. Vampires are nuts yo, and it doesn't matter whose units die near them, so even though the horse archers are pretty weak, they're cheap and get into position to die quite easily.

I discovered this combo as well, Scythia's ability to heal units on kills means that their Vamps get around the pesky slow rate of healing. Extremely powerful. Vampire Castles draining resources and acting as airports was just a bonus. I think the only weakness is Vampires are slow to move around, not a lot of things that boost their speed. (Unless you're Gran Colombia, but that's different.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

civ 2 gold had a bunch of crazy total mods like this and they were great
IIRC Civ 2 had an entire disc of the total mods that you could buy.

Civ IV had a bunch of total mods too, including one set in distant star systems.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Just started an Ethiopia game and didn't known enough to be picky about my society so I just fell into Owls of Minerva. Wouldn't have been my first choice for an Ethiopia game and the mechanics don't look quite as fun... but hard to argue with extra policy card slots and trade routes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ethiopia is made for Voidsingers. Rock-hewn churches give stupid high amounts of faith, and you get 40% of said faith as science and culture, plus 20% of it as gold. I managed to be a full era ahead of everyone else before I ever finished my second campus.

Also vampires are crazy OP. The healing isn't a problem as long as you pause once in a while to pillage, and once you feed them some kills, they're basically unstoppable. And you get vampire castles on top of that, which give you all the yields of adjacent tiles counting any sort of bonus from improvements and wonders and whatever, so you can easily get like 30 food and 20 hammers from a single tile improvement.

I haven't tried the illuminati or hermetics, but they have to be pretty nuts to compete with voidsingers on a faith-heavy civ or vampires on anyone.

Also I took the advice upthread and tried to conquer a civ before they developed walls. It worked just fine, but it also gave me a ton of grievances with every other civ I'd met, even ones that never had a chance to learn that Sweden ever existed! That is some bunk, man.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I really enjoyed dealing with the aliens in Beyond Earth so what I'm saying is rampaging dinosaurs would be a definite value-add

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Just converted half of Russia with cultists as Ethiopa in about 4 turns.

Where's your alchemy now??

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just got my game working again, if you're on a console and the Ethiopia DLC broke your shortcut buttons for your production menus, you'll have to delete your save data to fix it, looks like. You can, however, back up save files you really want to keep to your 2k account (I say gently caress em).

Edit: did...did the Scout's dog get replaced with a cat?
Edit 2: it got replaced with three cats, and the unit icon is a cat head now. WTF.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 28, 2020

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Organic Lube User posted:

Edit: did...did the Scout's dog get replaced with a cat?
Edit 2: it got replaced with three cats, and the unit icon is a cat head now. WTF.

That was pre-order DLC from way back when the base game or R&F was released, if I remember correctly. You should be able to turn it off like you do with other DLC?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Managed my first religious victory on immortal as japan, kinda wish there was like anything on the tech/ civics tree in the late game to aim for with that path, as once you’ve got theology and the 3 faith based policy cards there’s not really much other than maxing faith per turn and keeping track of other civ apostles (and when your main rival is the Cree and they’re giving shared visibility allying with you that’s kinda trivial).

Is there anything other than random chance dictating era dedication categories offered? Didn’t roll exodus Of the evangelists late game at all and wondered if there was a hard limit on the times you can select a particular type or it’s another thing where faith just stops getting things late. Hic Sunt Dracones ended up working pretty well for it anyway with the boat speed buff.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Dedications are fixed by era. Exodus is only available up to Renaissance.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

If you put a city to 0 loyalty with cultists but they have a positive loyalty growth rate, will that city flip the next turn or will it gain it's loyalty rate first?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If you put a city to 0 loyalty with cultists but they have a positive loyalty growth rate, will that city flip the next turn or will it gain it's loyalty rate first?

It should fall into chaos the next turn, but it might need two turns in a row with 0 loyalty before it does that (which just means another turn of hitting it) - just getting it to 0 didn't seem to always work, but I wasn't watching the numbers as carefully as I should have.

Two notes on rebel cities: first, you can keep hitting them for loyalty as well (though weirdly they're much more diligent about killing your cultists if you leave them undefended) to shorten the time to falling to you; and second, multiple rebel cities provide loyalty to each other! Which means you have to be a little careful about hitting a bunch of cities at the same time, or you'll create a rebel bloc that takes a lot of work to pull to you.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Deltasquid posted:

That was pre-order DLC from way back when the base game or R&F was released, if I remember correctly. You should be able to turn it off like you do with other DLC?

it's a reward for signing into your 2K account... which i think is just handled by steam account linkage now, idk

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

skeleton warrior posted:

Two notes on rebel cities: first, you can keep hitting them for loyalty as well (though weirdly they're much more diligent about killing your cultists if you leave them undefended) to shorten the time to falling to you; and second, multiple rebel cities provide loyalty to each other! Which means you have to be a little careful about hitting a bunch of cities at the same time, or you'll create a rebel bloc that takes a lot of work to pull to you.

This is incredibly easy to do on the Six Armed Snowflake map, even before cultists. I had a game where three different civs planted two or three new cities each in the middle, and then a series of wars caused everything to fall and flip. The middle map was a solid glut of black that no one could break because we just happened to get walls researched just after (this was an Epic speed game). The actual civilizations had to live on the arms and couldn't progress back to the middle for a really long time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think one of my favorite things about Secret Societies is getting multiple governor promotions so early. It really makes getting into the meat of mid-game a lot quicker

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Glumslinger posted:

I think one of my favorite things about Secret Societies is getting multiple governor promotions so early. It really makes getting into the meat of mid-game a lot quicker

having a promoted magnus when you're pumping out your first and second settler is great, and pingala with bull moose teddy is crazy too

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seriously, getting up to three free governor promotions for discovering the other three secret societies you don't join is amazingly good for jumpstarting stuff.

Of course I've seen it work the other way too, when I was loyalty-crushing a nearby enemy city, a governor head popped up there to protect it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh, and I meant to post this "amazing" starting location last night

That was a restart

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

That was a restart

your destiny is to raise this city to be a bunch of wise hermits

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

That was a restart

Oh my god. I would have played it out just to see what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
PS one of my biggest wants for the next Civ game is navigable waterways. It's ABSURD for you to be totally trapped by mountains when there's a river leading in and out of the valley.