Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I really liked that detail from a garry tonon video (since removed) where you swing your head left and right as a way to guide your arm. Swing it away from their upper body to wriggle your arm deeper, then swing your head above their head to get the right stranglin’ angle.

I have a problem with darces where I feel like the mechanics are perfect: blood choke with no pain. Then I’ll try it on somebody bigger or smaller and it’s got a some crank in it again. I don’t care if it hurts during hard rolling but I’d like to be able to get it mechanically perfect when I’m rolling with lower belts. There’s some kind of adjustment for neck size that I’m missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idnp8DpSHU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Waroduce posted:

i like to smash pass, what are good high percentage simple white belt fundamental submissions i can try?

My general flow is if from standing single leg entry

or

from knees

let them play butterfly or dick around with their legs and try to get both knees on one side of my body, sprawl to flatten and try to capture an arm without getting kimured (if i get kimura gripped, slide to north south since no block on hip), figure 4 legs or bodylock and climb to side control/mount

now what?

I can occasionally hit a marcellotine from north south, but i'm looking for something i can hit quick and easy from my smash pass to side control or just good submissions from side control. I usually just play with the far arm and go for armbar, kimura, americana trifecta.

I feel like i'm so much worse from knees than i am standing because I can like chain wrestle into a pretty solid side control position, i'm just terrible at finishing anything.

My favorite from side control right now is arm triangle, or jump up to knee on belly and ezekiel choke them from knee on belly. The choke from knee on belly position also can leave them open to easy armbars when they try to defend the choke.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I’ve kinda give. Up on subs from side control unless I’m in the gi and then I’ll lean towards paper cutters.

I’ve been doing a lot of hard cross face to mount to Ezekiel to high mount to arm bar or mounted triangle.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats a paper cutter?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Whats a paper cutter?

https://youtu.be/2dcfozG2eF0

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

Darces are one of those things where my arms are so short that if I lock one up the dude is never coming back. But my arms are so short that I almost never lock one up. In fact when I think about it I don’t think I’ve ever hit one during a live roll.

What I do is I shove the head through and reach deep, I tell white and blue belts "like your reaching down a rabbit hole". I actually dont use the Darce as much as I should, but I love the transition to other submissions like a guillotine or a japanese necktie when they flatten out to defend.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Waroduce posted:

i like to smash pass, what are good high percentage simple white belt fundamental submissions i can try?

My general flow is if from standing single leg entry

or

from knees

let them play butterfly or dick around with their legs and try to get both knees on one side of my body, sprawl to flatten and try to capture an arm without getting kimured (if i get kimura gripped, slide to north south since no block on hip), figure 4 legs or bodylock and climb to side control/mount

now what?

I can occasionally hit a marcellotine from north south, but i'm looking for something i can hit quick and easy from my smash pass to side control or just good submissions from side control. I usually just play with the far arm and go for armbar, kimura, americana trifecta.

I feel like i'm so much worse from knees than i am standing because I can like chain wrestle into a pretty solid side control position, i'm just terrible at finishing anything.

One of the best subs from side control is the breadcutter/papercutter choke. This is an example from Xande: https://bjj-tips.com/xande-ribeiro-shows-paper-cutter-choke/.

Super easy to set-up, with applicability even at high levels, and provides a series of options if you have to bail on the initial choke. Also makes for a good distraction if you want to try to move to mount and need to occupy your opponents' hands. You can even do it no-gi by gripping under the shoulder, although it isn't quite as easy in that instance.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone bought Gordon Ryans Guard passing series? If so does it cover his approach to passing butterfly?

Just curious.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Gordon Ryan & Craig Jones got the Rona.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Has anyone bought Gordon Ryans Guard passing series? If so does it cover his approach to passing butterfly?

Just curious.

It does. For seated butterfly from the knees it's mostly bodylocks and forcing half guard, but he goes deep on different bodylock grips.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JaySB posted:

Gordon Ryan

Heck yeah

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 29, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

it would be really funny if all his steroid muscle atrophied

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

Gordon Ryan & Craig Jones got the Rona.

Didn't they just do an event in Miami? Why would you go to FL at all right now?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Oh no not Gordon Ryan

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Craig Jones :ohdear:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoughts and prayers that Craig doesn’t get any of the long-term effects that would end an athletic career

and I GUESS gordon too

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Oh Craig...:smith:

Gordon, well. :geno:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spb posted:

Oh no not Gordon Ryan

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Decades posted:

It does. For seated butterfly from the knees it's mostly bodylocks and forcing half guard, but he goes deep on different bodylock grips.
Good to know. Thanks!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

You hate to see it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

So early on this year my wife and I planned a summer vacation to Spain, which was to culminate with me going to the Roger Gracie camp in early September. We had vacation days approved, flights and accommodation booked, and I'd registered and paid for the camp.

Now thanks to the 'roni my flight to Spain was cancelled and as I'm coming from the US I wouldn't even be allowed into Spain. We managed to get refunds/credits for all of the bookings, but I haven't gotten a response to my request for a refund for the camp registration from a few weeks ago so have now resorted to copying both the camp email address and Roger's personal email which was where the Paypal was sent to.

I know I could just elevate to Paypal but would prefer not to since he's the GOAT and seems like an all around good guy who would make things right, and I also wouldn't want to get blackball from attending a camp in the future (if there is even a future lol).

Anyhoo, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk on why planning ahead doesn't always pay off.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get PayPal involved, gently caress Hodge. He should have refunded you by now.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Why would his jiujitsu skills even be factor, elevate it and get your money back

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

butros posted:

So early on this year my wife and I planned a summer vacation to Spain, which was to culminate with me going to the Roger Gracie camp in early September. We had vacation days approved, flights and accommodation booked, and I'd registered and paid for the camp.

Now thanks to the 'roni my flight to Spain was cancelled and as I'm coming from the US I wouldn't even be allowed into Spain. We managed to get refunds/credits for all of the bookings, but I haven't gotten a response to my request for a refund for the camp registration from a few weeks ago so have now resorted to copying both the camp email address and Roger's personal email which was where the Paypal was sent to.

I know I could just elevate to Paypal but would prefer not to since he's the GOAT and seems like an all around good guy who would make things right, and I also wouldn't want to get blackball from attending a camp in the future (if there is even a future lol).

Anyhoo, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk on why planning ahead doesn't always pay off.

Good on you for getting your flight money back. My wife had a flight planned and it took me two months of arguing with people over the phone to finally get our money back.

Also, today in class I crossed my feet when I got someone's back. I had heard not to do this, but it did not settle into my grey matter until now.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

ICHIBAHN posted:

Get PayPal involved, gently caress Hodge. He should have refunded you by now.

The camp isn't until first week of September and the info I've been able to find online indicates they are still planning to hold the camp, so I can understand why they are slow in issuing refunds. I figure if we get to late August I'll have no choice to elevate to Paypal but would rather have an amicable settlement.

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why would his jiujitsu skills even be factor, elevate it and get your money back

I said it right in my post, in the future I would like to attend the camp because spending three days with the GOAT and his coral belt dad seems like it would be a pretty awesome time. If I escalate to Paypal it could backfire when I try to register / attend in the future so would prefer to keep that as a last resort.

spacetoaster posted:

Good on you for getting your flight money back. My wife had a flight planned and it took me two months of arguing with people over the phone to finally get our money back.

My wife handled the airline thing. It was surprisingly easy, she called, gave them the flight number and the agent was basically like "oh yeah this isn't happening let me process the refund."

quote:

Also, today in class I crossed my feet when I got someone's back. I had heard not to do this, but it did not settle into my grey matter until now.

it happens to the best of us (but only once)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

it happens to the best of us (but only once)

It happens to the worst of us twice :eng99:

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
something to do with your bean bag?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

spacetoaster posted:

Cross feet all the time and head push defense if they catch you but try to catch their arm when they put hands down to mess with your feet.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rest his guts posted:

something to do with your bean bag?

Crossing your ankles from the back can lead to an ankle lock (Achilles lock style, or potentially heel hook style, depending on which leg goes on top) by the person who you've got back control on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGA5U3WL7g

Though it's not 100% guaranteed by any means, and here's some discussion about when/how/why it can be fine to cross your ankles from the back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8FBybIk6Bg

There's even a modified twister ish submission that's somewhat related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR2uY0dIeLU
Actual technique demonstration begins at 1m09s, and the "straighten your top leg" defense that Biernacki mentions is used pretty directly within Melanson's "if you're lanky you can take some shortcuts" segment starting at 5m15s.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

It happens to the worst of us twice :eng99:

Yup I was gonna say I got caught twice before I learned for real.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The LA open is canceled. I knew it would be. I told my wife (blue belt) not to register until the last second. Now shes pretty bummed. It sounds like they were going to take some pretty extraordinary pre-cautions, but its still not going to happen. Would've loved to see how she did.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How could you not have known it was gonna be cancelled

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

cancel culture has gone too far

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Just did BJJ for the first time since January!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I could be going back soonish, my gym opened up its schedule a bit more. Looking for a partner or small group of people to train with now.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

How could you not have known it was gonna be cancelled

A. It was indoors.
B. They were limiting the number of people that were allowed in to only a competitor and a coach.
C. Absolutely no spectators.
D. You were only called in to do your match. After your match you had to leave the arena.

AKA lets see if we can appease the quarantine gods

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Looking for hip bump sweep suggestions.

I'm already pretty good at it (blue belt level) but want to really focus on it. I caught a higher belt with it a few times, and I knew he was going to start defending. Next time he did defend, I went to kimura, he defended that and I used it to get the hip bump w/ kimura grip into mount. It was sweet.

I'm especially looking for things to chain this into and out of, or maybe little known tips or good videos. Currently my weakness is that I don't always put my blocking leg flat on the ground against uke's leg, as Ryan Hall suggests. I'm also not great at the kimura from guard, I mostly just use it to get the hip bump sweep, but being able to finish is something I'm working on.

This is the best video I've found so far, it goes over the hip bump <-> kimura combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCos35cv5T8

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Danaher kimura DVD has a good hip bump - kimura section.

There's also a kinda cool unconventional hip bump sweep from an arm bar setup, once you get the arm across centerline pull them in with your legs, as soon as they start to pull back and posture, you keep control of the arm with the cross grip, plant the same side leg while keeping the opposite side leg on their back, post up to your free hand and drive them straight back with your hips. If they don't posture up you can easily go to clamp guard or the back.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’ve mostly abandoned hip bump -> kimura in favor of hip bump -> triangle. It feels like my body has a shorter distance to travel, and I feel like I can force them to carry more of my bodyweight while I do the transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There's also hip bump -> guillotine