Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about how scandalous it was for Yuna to say "Heck" 20 years ago and now remake Aerith casually says "poo poo," how far we've come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Square store restocked their vinyl soundtracks if anyone else has a crippling addiction like me. Picked up the chrono trigger/cross arranged selections but I also saw final fantasy 8 listed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking about how scandalous it was for Yuna to say "Heck" 20 years ago and now remake Aerith casually says "poo poo," how far we've come

OG FF7 had a lot of casual cursing back in the day.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was thinking about getting ff9 on the switch but from what i've read its mostly just a straight port of the iphone version with the same oversized ugly UI and everything? Have these sold well? These look terrible and make me just want to bust out the ps3 instead to play those versions. Has square said anything at all about fixing these games or not releasing them in such a crappy state?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh that's right I keep on forgetting that Tifa used the R-word back then

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

i was thinking about getting ff9 on the switch but from what i've read its mostly just a straight port of the iphone version with the same oversized ugly UI and everything? Have these sold well? These look terrible and make me just want to bust out the ps3 instead to play those versions. Has square said anything at all about fixing these games or not releasing them in such a crappy state?
I played the PS4 version and it's honestly fine, though I never played the original version so I can't speak for purism.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

RillAkBea posted:

I played the PS4 version and it's honestly fine, though I never played the original version so I can't speak for purism.

the battle menus definitely look worse, but how much are you really looking at those to begin with? I guess it depends on if you think $10.49 is worth not pulling out and setting up your PS3. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it at any stretch, but my PS3 is still set up so I can play the original whenever I want.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it probably helped that they weren't voice acted, so no one ever actually had to "say" it (plus you only saw it if you chose to climb the stairs, so it's possible you never saw Tifa saying it at all), whereas FFX was the first one with voice acting. incels of the day also got really weird about people being a pure waifu from the first one, as far as I remember, so you had that going on too, especially with how she changed for X-2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Yuna is consistently one of the most popular female Final Fantasy characters if those online polls are to be believed, and I think it's easy to see why. Impeccable fashion sense, fundamentally important to the story of FFX/2 in an integral way rather than just being some side chick, can be interpreted as either a meek waifu or defiant woman so you hit both ends of the spectrum there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yuna also makes better use of a melee attack based build than any other character in any other Final Fantasy by a significant margin, making her basically a Muscle Mage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In the translation yeah, now Japanese doesn't use swear words much in the same way at all as English so it's a bit tough to use the originals as any kind of real basis in most cases, but that specific line was made up wholesale by the localizers.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

jokes posted:

Yuna also makes better use of a melee attack based build than any other character in any other Final Fantasy by a significant margin, making her basically a Muscle Mage.

muscle summoner. her attack power doesn't really help her magic use. I only care about this because I've played enough FFT to separate mages and summoners in my head, though they're annoying fucks either way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yuna uses guns and drives a muscle aircraft so she is definitely "top shelf" as the people call it these days

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When was Yuna saying "heck" supposed to be a big deal? I never heard anything about this nor do I even remember this line from either X or X-2.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

When was Yuna saying "heck" supposed to be a big deal? I never heard anything about this nor do I even remember this line from either X or X-2.

it's in X-2 when they think Shuyin is still Tidus and Yuna gets jealous when he talks about Lenne and says "Who the heck is Lenne?"

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 29, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I just watched the cutscene in X-2 where she says that and everyone gasps... though that was probably because she blurted it out of nowhere like a weirdo.

I was relatively cool on 1000 Words until it got to the harmony part and that owned

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I just watched the cutscene in X-2 where she says that and everyone gasps... though that was probably because she blurted it out of nowhere like a weirdo.

I was relatively cool on 1000 Words until it got to the harmony part and that owned

X-2 is good for a lot of reasons. I do love that the menu music is this chill, calming/meloncholy piano vibe like X and then it just instantly cuts into Real Emotion and a spoof of action movie opening credits with the character frames when the game starts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

it's in X-2 when they think Shuyin is still Tidus and Yuna gets jealous when he talks about Lenne and says "Who the heck is Lenne?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah, I gotcha now. I remember that. But yeah, as you said, the big thing there was her just screaming out of nowhere. She could have said anything but when you just randomly start shouting, people will gawk.

The whole 1000 Words concert is possibly the best thing about X-2.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanfy posted:

In the translation yeah, now Japanese doesn't use swear words much in the same way at all as English so it's a bit tough to use the originals as any kind of real basis in most cases, but that specific line was made up wholesale by the localizers.

I think this pretty much explains some of this fairly well. Keep in mind the first localized FF games were localized under Nintendo when they were at their most zealous in terms of content censoring. The series still hadn't reached widespread popularity in the west before FF7 so Sony probably went with a low bidder and let it roll, then started vetting scripts once the series proved it had selling power in the west.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The older FF games are honestly better off with the sometimes stilted wording and non-swears because the R-rated fan translations are viscerally embarrassing to read.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

exquisite tea posted:

The older FF games are honestly better off with the sometimes stilted wording and non-swears because the R-rated fan translations are viscerally embarrassing to read.

There’s a reason “You spoony bard!” is still iconic

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Why couldn't they just make a prequel about Braska, Jecht and Auron? Lotta folks online have called for that since I stared posting about FF.

Besides, while FF reinventing the wheel with each new game can be neat, couldn't they have greater success from refining a current battle system? FFX had the best battle system in the series but it had flaws. Just iron out those flaws for the sequel instead of tossing everything out and bringing in a whole new system with a new set of flaws.

FFX-2 was a genuine cash grab to save the company and a prequel would have probably needed more investment as you couldn't reuse + reskin many of the characters and environments from the original.

I don't like the game, but that isn't a comment on it as a game. It's just the reality of how hosed SE was after Spirits Within.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

morallyobjected posted:

it probably helped that they weren't voice acted, so no one ever actually had to "say" it (plus you only saw it if you chose to climb the stairs, so it's possible you never saw Tifa saying it at all), whereas FFX was the first one with voice acting. incels of the day also got really weird about people being a pure waifu from the first one, as far as I remember, so you had that going on too, especially with how she changed for X-2.
The r-word also wasn't considered in nearly the same light back in the mid 90's. It was used in various network TV, mass-market movies, etc and generally used as a stronger/more offensive version of "stupid"...but most of society didn't view it as a slur and not even close to the same level as various four-letter words - hence why Barrett and Cid's cursing got bleeped out as $#&! while Tifa's wasn't.

It's nice to remember that even as 2020 continues to suck, society as a whole has improved quite a bit in the past couple decades.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

In 2003 the only way to watch anime was to find 30mb full episodes at like, 120p resolution and they had competing groups of people who would translate them entirely for free and release them online

I remember people had different groups they preferred and it was jarring jumping back and forth because of the changes in style, and sometimes even names entirely (translating place names literally vs keeping the japanese for example)
Even then it was an inside joke with my friends about a group called DARKSUBS because Naruto in one group would go "Ah you jerk. I'll get you" and DARKSUBS would translate it as "loving make my day... you piece of poo poo..."

Such a weird part of internet culture that it feels like has mostly disappeared

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

R-rated fan translations are viscerally embarrassing to read.

e: also note that Arche here is 17

Veib fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 29, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cursed images thread is thataway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What an incredibly relevant video thank you I feel seen

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

bustin keaton posted:

FFX-2 was a genuine cash grab to save the company and a prequel would have probably needed more investment as you couldn't reuse + reskin many of the characters and environments from the original.

I don't like the game, but that isn't a comment on it as a game. It's just the reality of how hosed SE was after Spirits Within.

Every game is a cash grab, and it would have been a lot easier to reuse the BJA skins from X than design unique dresspheres for each of YRP.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yuna is so drat polite and proper that I could kinda see how her saying "heck" or "your plan sucks" would make people react like she just blurted out an f-bomb

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember how a big part of ffx2 was Lulu being just about crowning pregnant and Wakka gaining some weight in his retirement and the characters constantly commented on it but they were the exact same ffx character models

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Remember how a big part of ffx2 was Lulu being just about crowning pregnant and Wakka gaining some weight in his retirement and the characters constantly commented on it but they were the exact same ffx character models

In X-2, Lulu is a minor NPC with 10 lines of dialogue and Wakka didn't even make the cut to be playable in creature creator.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think Wakka putting his hands on his shredded abs and saying "haha looks like I've got a fat tire" was in the bonus video in between X and X2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember Wakka making a squeaky toy noise when Rikku poked him.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FFX-2 gutted blitzball and introduced a game that makes me do math. 2/10

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They're simply humoring Wakka, who's lost his mind due to the extensive CTE he suffered between Blitzball and killing monsters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

It was never a big deal. Much like how a TV show saying "poo poo" uncensored wasn't a big deal to anyone but soccer moms and the talk shows that pandered to them.

Names aren't misspelled or mispronounced enough to accurately reflect fan translations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finally finished FF15 and I feel like the back half was rushed. I wanted to take out the evil nasty empire, its evil nasty king, and his evil nasty generals and it turns out they were all unceremoniously killed offscreen, and Niflheim is abandoned, rip.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

I finally finished FF15 and I feel like the back half was rushed. I wanted to take out the evil nasty empire, its evil nasty king, and his evil nasty generals and it turns out they were all unceremoniously killed offscreen, and Niflheim is abandoned, rip.

That's exactly how I feel. The game builds up the Empire and then it's just...nothing.

I like XV but flawless is not a word that can ever be used to describe it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The worst part is at launch it was even more rushed.

I don't think they even had a cutscene explaining why Ravus was just suddenly dead while holding on to one of the Royal Arms. You just get there, find his body, and take the sword with no real fanfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So is it just me or is FF7R really, *really* stingy with gil?