Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anakha posted:

Does the Compilation ever give a count of active 1st Class Soldiers? Aside from Seph/Angeal/Genesis/Zack, how many are there?

Sort of.

Prior to the events of the game, there were only a VERY small number of Soldier 1st classes. They included Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal. However they went rogue and they rushed the next closest candidate, Zack, up to 1st class after that. Then Sephiroth AND Zack went rogue and basically from that point on they started promoting whatever soldiers were theoretically skilled enough to fill the void, but none of them were on the level of the original Soldier 1st classes.

So basically there's the original group who are, Zack aside, crazy demigods. Zack is just... really fuckin' good at swinging a sword like you don't even know. Unfortunately literally all of them went crazy because it turns out injecting The Thing into babies doesn't end well. Now Shinra has "SOLDIER 1st Class" which is still talented but not "is a one-person army" tier like the others.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

I haven't finished all of Chadley's missions, I've been dragging my feet on that cause it seemed like I had to do some materia grinding I didnt feel like doing at the time in order to complete them. Does something happen at the end of that quest line that makes him not an uncanny little deviant fancylad?

Not really. It vaguely explains why he's like that though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I haven't finished all of Chadley's missions, I've been dragging my feet on that cause it seemed like I had to do some materia grinding I didnt feel like doing at the time in order to complete them. Does something happen at the end of that quest line that makes him not an uncanny little deviant fancylad?

Yes, along with unlocking the final challenge in the game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Super No Vacancy posted:

its frankly insane to me that people would prefer to play the same old story with shiny new graphics rather than have a new one to experience and unpack as it happens but i guess a lot of people just listen to the same music they liked in high school

that said the main failing of the new game is the whispers needed a more distinct design than cloak ghosts

it's insane to me that you think that's insane.

they titled it 'remake' and all the pre-release content advertised it as that, with no indicator that they'd divert things in any significant fashion. it was obvious some things would change or be fleshed out by making midgar alone a 30 hour game, but come on.

"you really wanted to play the same game but with new graphics?"

yeah, actually i did. because i'm not sure i trust the new direction will be good. especially when some of my favorite parts were already made worse the end of the shinra building as an example . maybe once it's done it'll stand on its own as a really good thing, but i'll believe that when i see it.

also arguing over the definition of 'remake' will always make my brain want to melt into a puddle.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Titling the game 'Remake' was an interesting ploy by Squeenix because it did refer to the prevailing theory that Seph is trying to remake the timeline so that he wins.

With that decision they made, they obviously couldn't have explained beforehand why they titled it 'Remake' without spoiling a lot of poo poo.

At the same time, if they had given it a different title aside from 'Remake', that could have invited a lot of questions prior to release which would have risked poo poo getting spoiled as well.

Personally, I'm fine with the way the game was named. But, if the game itself remained as is, what possible accurate alternative names could Squeenix have given it that avoids the idea of it being a straight 1:1 remake but also avoids speculation about where the storyline would be headed?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

anakha posted:

Titling the game 'Remake' was an interesting ploy by Squeenix because it did refer to the prevailing theory that Seph is trying to remake the timeline so that he wins.

With that decision they made, they obviously couldn't have explained beforehand why they titled it 'Remake' without spoiling a lot of poo poo.

At the same time, if they had given it a different title aside from 'Remake', that could have invited a lot of questions prior to release which would have risked poo poo getting spoiled as well.

Personally, I'm fine with the way the game was named. But, if the game itself remained as is, what possible accurate alternative names could Squeenix have given it that avoids the idea of it being a straight 1:1 remake but also avoids speculation about where the storyline would be headed?

there isn't one. i didn't mean to imply that i think that title is a mistake or failure so that was poor wording on my part. i just find it weird when people claim that 'remake' was some sort of obvious indicator that things would be different and that people were foolish to assume otherwise.

they didn't want to spoil their intentions and they did a good job. i also don't think it's crazy that people took it a bit more literally and were disappointed to find out otherwise.

to elaborate a bit, if they did not make any significant alterations to the story but it still looked and played like it does, 'remaster' still doesn't really fit. it's clearly way more than just increasing poly count and resolution.

Adus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 27, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Adus posted:

there isn't one. i didn't mean to imply that i think that title is a mistake or failure so that was poor wording on my part. i just find it weird when people claim that 'remake' was some sort of obvious indicator that things would be different and that people were foolish to assume otherwise.

they didn't want to spoil their intentions and they did a good job. i also don't think it's crazy that people took it a bit more literally and were disappointed to find out otherwise.

I don't think people are saying "'remake' is an obvious indicator that things were changed," so much as they are responding to people who said the title is a "lie" or "trick" because it isn't a "remake". They're pointing out that "remake" does not, in fact, only refer to a polished up version of the original with no story changes, and can also cover re-imaginings.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Super No Vacancy posted:

its frankly insane to me that people would prefer to play the same old story with shiny new graphics rather than have a new one to experience and unpack as it happens but i guess a lot of people just listen to the same music they liked in high school

This is a baby brain attitude and I'm ashamed to have had to read this dunce of a post. Wanting to play a faithful update of FF7 isn't a matter of some kind of failure of taste to thrive, especially since the game's whole selling point is its nostalgia factor, and it's something a whole lot of people actually did in fact want, and if you legitimately can't understand it, or if you're going to chide people for being disappointed, the problem is you

I absolutely did not want a "new story to experience" because Square's stories are, largely, unappealing to me. Fighting against the abstract concept of destiny is something I absolutely despise in stories and it's something they tend to lean on pretty heavily, for example. I have zero faith that the rest of the installments are going to have an interesting story or that it's going to be as faithful to the original as I wanted it to be, even if the writing and characters are at least competent, but there's a long way to go yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bleck posted:

must have been really disappointing to all of the people who hadn't played Final Fantasy 7, one of the most popular video games ever made

I have multiple friends whose first interaction with the game was the remake

Some of them have played lots of FF games even! In his case he tried to start FF7, felt too dated, and he said he’d wait for the remake

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You'd be crazy to think that this game wasn't the first introduction to FF7 for a significant number of the playerbase. If anything a lot of Sephiroth's extra scenes exist because of the assumption that for a lot of players this will be their first time playing FF7.

In the original Sephiroth makes like one appearance in Midgar and that's not an issue since Midgar's a pretty small part of the story but now that Midgar is its own game Sephiroth needs additional scenes to establish that he is important and his relationship with Cloud is a big deal. I don't think it's done super well or anything but I think it's pretty clear why the writers felt the need to have Sephiroth around more and more immediately establish that this dude is really important to Cloud's history.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just beat the Hell House fight, man that was hard. I realized too late I was suppose to take off his limbs because they weren't adding any stagger until you completely destroyed them. That fight ended up being way longer than it needed to be.

Btw is there a way to dodge the unblockable attack he does after his flying round, hellbound I think it's called?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Literally everything about the remake was better than the original. Thank you for reading.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Sephiroth appearing every 10 minutes would have been fine with me if his new voice actor didn't suck

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I enjoyed his voice acting....Cloud

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Levantine posted:

Literally everything about the remake was better than the original. Thank you for reading.

Ya absolutely loving it so far. Although I never finished the original, I thought the combat was very bland even though I normally like traditional turn based. The current combat is a great mix of tactics/action and for me gameplay is the most important part of a game if I am going to be doing that for 90% of my time with it.

I am pretty sure I know what they changed in the story it's kinda obvious maybe it's cause I never played the original on release so I don't realize the impact but imo the original story is still there and this is just another take on that story perhaps worse but with superior gameplay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

I enjoyed his voice acting....Cloud

:effort: "Cloud"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moola posted:

Sephiroth appearing every 10 minutes would have been fine with me if his new voice actor didn't suck

Toshiyuki Morikawa has been voicing him for years though

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ulio posted:

Btw is there a way to dodge the unblockable attack he does after his flying round, hellbound I think it's called?

I think once he's flown around a bit, you can interrupt him with a high power move and he won't do the nasty attack. I know the aga spells work cos I've used them when fighting it recently, but you probably only have the second level spells and I don't know if they'll do it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Just beat the Hell House fight, man that was hard. I realized too late I was suppose to take off his limbs because they weren't adding any stagger until you completely destroyed them. That fight ended up being way longer than it needed to be.

Even when you redo the fight in hard mode it’s really hard and long. You pretty much have to hit the weaknesses with great timing and go in with a good materia load out and full MP. If the fight catches you off guard it can go incredibly long

In hard mode the hell house shoots out tonberries at you. At low It he also summons the 2 robots you fight right before it (you’re supposed to use aerith’s invincible limit break and just go ahead and tank it)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have multiple friends whose first interaction with the game was the remake

I also have multiple friends who are children - I don't care what they think, of course

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Toshiyuki Morikawa has been voicing him for years though
the english voice cast besides sephiroth is phenomenal.

barret's and aerith's VA's absolutely nail it at all times. Red's too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ulio posted:

Hit him with the appropriate elemental weakness before he comes down at you and you'll knock him out of the air.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya thanks for the responses, I think it's because I went with hardedge and guard stick. Which was the worst setup for this boss. I should have gone magic oriented but I didn't die in my first attempt so it was a really slog with only 2 elemental materia. On a 2nd try I would have definitely gotten all the materia weaknesses covered and use Aerith as the main source of dps instead of Cloud.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Even when you redo the fight in hard mode it’s really hard and long. You pretty much have to hit the weaknesses with great timing and go in with a good materia load out and full MP. If the fight catches you off guard it can go incredibly long

In hard mode the hell house shoots out tonberries at you. At low It he also summons the 2 robots you fight right before it (you’re supposed to use aerith’s invincible limit break and just go ahead and tank it)

Ya I saw that, looks fun if you have the proper build, I am looking forward to a 2nd run on hard knowing they bosses battles are different instead of just more damage.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress even the squating mini game is fun, the music remix in that part is particular good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've seen a few streams of people who are playing Remake as their first exposure to FF7, and some of whom have decided to play the original after Remake, and to be honest I haven't seen any of them having the reactions that fans of the old game, especially those critical of the Remake, seem to conjecture they should have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

I've seen a few streams of people who are playing Remake as their first exposure to FF7, and some of whom have decided to play the original after Remake, and to be honest I haven't seen any of them having the reactions that fans of the old game, especially those critical of the Remake, seem to conjecture they should have.
in what way do you mean

like I've definitely seen clips of people going in fresh with FF7R getting to certain scenes and just having a blank stare, then looking at their chat and going "[name]? who the gently caress is [name]?"

or are you talking about reactions to the original game after playing remake, or what?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Captain Invictus posted:

in what way do you mean

like I've definitely seen clips of people going in fresh with FF7R getting to certain scenes and just having a blank stare, then looking at their chat and going "[name]? who the gently caress is [name]?"

or are you talking about reactions to the original game after playing remake, or what?

I don't remember the game ever talking about a character it hasn't introduced, like it expects you to know from playing the original FF7. I mean, there's the scene with Cait Sith, but that's kinda WTF regardless of whether you've played the original or not.

I have seen people that are not familiar with the original getting a surprising amount of insight based on little flashback snippets to stuff like Nibelheim, that you might think would only mean something to people who played the original. I think most people playing 7R for the first time will follow the story just as well as people did playing the original FF7 for the first time (that is to say, there's a lot of confusing stuff that doesn't get explained until later, if ever).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh for sure, FF7R is intended for the old guard but it's perfectly comprehensible outside of a handful of scenes for new people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope the series ends with Cloud as a Cactaur fighting Sephiroth like Meta Knight vs Link in the Dragon Quest Hero DLC video.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
It'd be great if Square could make a game one day that doesn't use that loving "the future is a blank page/story we have to write!" metaphor. It was out staying it's welcome by the end of FFX, let alone 20 years of games later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

As a first timer to FF7.

Honestly it seems like the people who hate the remake seem to give lots of weight to the story when evaluating the game but I feel like the gameplay is so good in this, it's probably one of the best action jrpg combat systems out there and you have depth with the builds/upgrade system. 90% of what you do in this game is fight and that part is fun so why should the 10% matter so much to ruin the game?

I am still not done but I don't think the story will bother me because the combat system and rpg mechanics are so fun. I just got done with the dance scene and that was absolutely fabulous. This game was quite ahead of it's time, it had eco terrorism, transgender characters, black character as your main party member and big part of the story. Like even now sometimes it's so weird watching something like Friends or How I met your mother and there is almost 0 colored characters for 99% of the show which is taking place in NEW YORK. So for a piece of media from a conservative country like Japan to have all these things in 1997 is wild.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Ulio posted:

As a first timer to FF7.

Honestly it seems like the people who hate the remake seem to give lots of weight to the story when evaluating the game but I feel like the gameplay is so good in this, it's probably one of the best action jrpg combat systems out there and you have depth with the builds/upgrade system. 90% of what you do in this game is fight and that part is fun so why should the 10% matter so much to ruin the game?

calling a jrpg's story 10% of the game is a little weird (this being separate from the fact that the remake literally is about 10% of ff7's story). not that there aren't instances of games with awful stories being carried by good gameplay, but in this case it's a lot about expectations. it's a game a lot of people have fond memories of, the story included, and to alter it to we're going to defy destiny!, an extremely tired jrpg trope, and have that be a downgrade for some people is a fair criticism.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This is getting into meta discussion, but is it really an storyline alter though if FF7R acknowledges what happened in the original game and has key characters want a do-over?

The OG storyline still happened, the key events still occurred, the fallout was felt and acknowledged. It will always be there for fans of the series, and it's not like Squeenix is saying "this never happened".

E: The destiny storyline in FF7R is a vehicle to arrive at the end point that what happened in the OG is no longer a certainty. Now that the Whispers are gone, I doubt that particular trope will be a continuing issue for the other releases.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 29, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The problem that people (by which I mean me) have is that it's a ridiculously convoluted way to arrive at the point that the game might not go exactly as it did before, when they could have achieved the same thing by just saying as such and writing the game however they like, and ignoring the whinings of internet dorks. The Whispers don't feel organic at all; they mesh with the story like oil and water, getting in the way of whatever is happening, sometimes to literally no effect whatsoever, like when they carry Hojo out of the room and they find him in the next room anyway, apparently completely unphased by what just happened to him. Saving Wedge then having them hoof him out a random window after just one inconsequential appearance is bizarre, and robbed us of the emotional weight of several cast members getting massacred one after the other as a consequence of their own actions. Then they didn't involve the Whispers when Biggs survived, so apparently it didn't matter to them what happened with those people either way? Why did extra characters like Leslie and Kyrie get inserted without comment, or everything that changed in Wall Market?

It doesn't ruin the game, but I don't think it added anything whatsoever other than weird, out of place interruptions to the pacing and story that weren't even remotely consistent with themselves. Good final boss, but I'm sure they could have cooked something else up that worked.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The original game was probably my second favorite in the series, FF7R is right now far and away my new favorite. Everything about it is very very good, except for Chapter 15.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not saying your point is invalid, but it's based on some faulty assumptions.

1. Unphased? Hojo was clearly staggering out of the room after the Whisper encounter at the end of Chapter 16, and the way he addressed the team in Chapter 17 implies he got mindwiped during the earlier sequence. He would have obviously been lording Cloud's real status over him the whole chapter if he'd recalled his realization from Chaper 16.

2. Regarding Wedge, if you're referring to Chapter 12, the Whispers weren't saving him, they were holding him in place to make sure he couldn't evacuate and that he died like in the OG - he got lucky due to the ground collapsing. Chapter 17 was again the Whispers trying to finish the job.

3. I don't understand the complaint about Leslie and Kyrie in relation to the Whispers. Can you elaborate?

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 29, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

anakha posted:

2. Regarding Wedge, if you're referring to Chapter 12, the Whispers weren't saving him, they were holding him in place to make sure he couldn't evacuate and that he died like in the OG - he got lucky due to the ground collapsing. Chapter 17 was again the Whispers trying to finish the job.

3. I don't understand the complaint about Leslie and Kyrie in relation to the Whispers. Can you elaborate?

Sure thing.

Point two: I get why chapter 17 happened that way in relation to previous chapters, it just feels weird to change all of those story beats in the first place. The pillar was emotional because these people die tragically, so they change it so one of them doesn't die and the impact of the loss is lessened... Then just kill him at a random point later on anyway, pretty much having him turn up for no reason other than to be killed, except instead of it being a consequence of his own actions, it's just dumped on us out of nowhere, without the knowledge of any other character so it has all the impact of 'then Wedge went to live on a farm'. Why complicate what happens in a way that is detrimental to the emotion of the original scene, do nothing with it, then go 'actually we're bored of him now, just get rid of him without anyone else seeing it and move to the next scene, we don't have time for emotional payoff'. Like, just kill him at the pillar, the whole point of him hitting the ground dead was to provide a dramatic turn that carries through the entire scene and beyond.

Point three: Square-Enix changed a bunch of stuff, including adding characters who weren't there originally, and didn't feel the need to explain it other than wanting to switch things up. Those two were existing characters from other media, but the Wall Market people like Sam weren't, as far as I know, and even if they were, their inclusion is a departure from the original, which for some reason doesn't require plot ghosts while other sections do. Wasn't the entire expanded Wall Market section causing massive delays to the cast that the ghosts would want to rectify? Or was it okay to just rewrite the whole thing, including the timeline of events, and absolutely no-one cared that they did it because it ruled and didn't need some weird meta explanation to butt in and explain everything away?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ulio posted:

I just got done with the dance scene and that was absolutely fabulous. This game was quite ahead of it's time, it had eco terrorism, transgender characters, black character as your main party member and big part of the story. [...] So for a piece of media from a conservative country like Japan to have all these things in 1997 is wild.
Remake's version of Wall Market is very different from the original. It was actually about as bad as you might expect of a 90s game which is why it was almost completely changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wall Market didn't delay them from reaching the pillar since they still turned up at the right time to get involved. If they were held up to the point that they wouldn't have gotten to the pillar on time, the Whispers may have involved themselves. In fact. they turned up early enough that the Whispers tried to block them from getting to the pillar if you recall the first battle of Chapter 12.