Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Boba Pearl posted:

I need help, tips, hints, tiktoks and general advice with Death Stranding. I love it, but there's a few things I don't understand how to do, like how do I manually sort my cargo, also it seems like if I just hold LT+RT I can skip the whole weight part of the game? Also is there a better weapon then just parrying everything with the stranding?

Parrying works great one on one but if you get attacked by other enemies, who eventually get more and better weapons, it can get tricky.

Other than harder stabilization there are downsides to carrying more weight like lower speed, faster stamina drain, more wear & tear on your boots, loss of double jump (and probably regular jump), and if your hands are holding the straps then they can't be free to do anything else. Your cargo also doesn't clip through the environment, the top containers can get knocked off if you go through a doorway or something else with low clearance. Plus there is a true limit to how much you can carry. You won't be able to walk if you try to load up too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A couple more small ones for Ghost of Tsushima:

If you get stuck on one of the story missions where you have to be stealthy and raising the alarm fails the mission (almost) immediately, they seem to be checkpoint gated. So if you absolutely can't beat a section, take the best crack at it you can and once you start getting detected, just sprint in the direction of the objective as fast as you can. You'll still get caught, but if you make it past the checkpoint, it skips the segment of the stealth section you were on and puts you at the next checkpoint.

Outside of missions where "Do Not Raise the Alarm" is an explicit objective, some of the others will make it SOUND like that condition is in effect. Like the world events where there are hostages to rescue. In those situations, you can actually go loud if you need to. One of the mongols will get a red and white skull and crossbones on him and run towards one of the hostages that will have a Shield icon. Shortly after arriving, they'll start attacking the prisoner in an attempt to kill them. During that whole time, the attacker can be killed like any other enemy. So do the best you can to stay quiet, but if you trip up and alert the guards or you're down to the last few guys or something, or you just think you're badass enough to go loud from the start, don't give up as soon as you see you've been spotted. You can totally fight your way out of just about any of those situations if you're fast enough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Zone of the Enders 2?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Boba Pearl posted:

I need help, tips, hints, tiktoks and general advice with Death Stranding. I love it, but there's a few things I don't understand how to do, like how do I manually sort my cargo, also it seems like if I just hold LT+RT I can skip the whole weight part of the game? Also is there a better weapon then just parrying everything with the stranding?

Weight mostly becomes a problem later on when you have deliveries that are just straight up too heavy to carry on foot, or when you're dealing with intense terrain.

Parrying is good, but the bola gun is extremely good for taking out MULEs quickly and from a distance, since all you have to do is shoot them and run over to give them a kick, or get a headshot for a OHKO.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Or just throw a box at them/whack them with a box. Oh, and to throw a box make sure you are holding it in the hand Sam will punch with. Then while punching, release the hold box button. It's pretty loving accurate.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

PMush Perfect posted:

Zone of the Enders 2?

There's a fight pretty early on after you get on the space ship where the AI recomends that you use the Geyser sub-weapon, but it's actually easier if you use grab and throws instead. Grab (and the Gauntlet you get later) are usually the safest fall-back options if the reccomended weapon isn't working out for you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Parrying is good but you definitely cant rely on it when Mules start carrying more weapons.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Adding a tip for Witcher 3 because I can't believe I missed this in the first ten hours of both of my playthroughs:

• You can loot monster nests after you destroy them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Following up the first one I've created a page for the second Shantae game, Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

quote:

* As one of the NPCs reminds you, make sure to buy a map before leaving town.

* Magic Jams tend to be a bigger bottleneck than gems when it comes to buying things, so don't hesitate to pick up a few potions as they help a lot.

* Some later obstacles can't be cleared without each of the three basic spells. One optional bit also requires the second level upgrade to the Fireball.

* The Pike Ball spell can be toggled on and off at will and is easily the strongest of the three spells, to the point that its final upgrade removes most challenge from the game especially if you rush it first.

* The first dungeon boss is quite sturdy, but also very vulnerable to lightning.

* After clearing the first dungeon, you can earn a free 100 gems from an NPC blocking your way in Pumpkin Fields west of town. Another "free" 100 gems can also be earned earlier by attacking the Chef Girl's puppy after returning it to her.

* While the first run through the mid-game Battle Tower is mandatory, clearing it a second time awards a Magic Jam and all subsequent times 150 gems each.

* The Import Room only exists to give you some free gems if you own at least one of two WayForward's previous DSi games, Mighty Flip Champs! or Mighty Milky Way or for costume swaps in the iOS version.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 25, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

One more thing for Ghost of Tsushima:

You don't have to be on the ground/a roof to initiate an Assassination or Chain Assassination. If you're on a roof/cliff/etc. and there are some guys 15 feet away from where you could assassinate them by standing on the edge, you can totally get a running start, jump at the edge of the roof and freefall towards them. As long as they don't get to the red "alert" phase before you fly close enough to them to get the Assassinate/Chain Assassinate prompt, you can still initiate assassinations mid flight.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

GoT question: should you sell iron once you've completely upgraded your swords?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Two late game tips for Prey (2017) and its Mooncrash DLC that might be nice to know for achievement enthusiasts.

Main campaign:
- New Game+ allows you to play again keeping all the INSTALLED neuromods you've acquired in a previous playthrough. You'll get them upon using a locker in Morgan Yu's office (in the Talos I lobby section, early in the game). Selecting your old playthrough for New Game+ will wipe out all the saves for it, so keep that in mind if you still had things you wanted to wrap up.

Mooncrash DLC:
- After completing ALL the KASMA orders and escaping/dying with a character, you'll reach an ending. Afterwards you will not be able to return to that save. You can only start a new game and will thus lose the unlocked characters, installed neuromods and fabrication plans. There is an achievement for installing ALL the neuromods for all 5 characters. You'll need to play the DLC a lot to get to that point and because of the above you'll need to avoid doing one of two KASMA orders (most likely the character stories, since you won't finish those on accident).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I just got Persona 5: Royal from my wife and since I only played the original for 10 or so hours and since several of the social links and systems got an overhaul I just wonder if there are some S-links I should beeline maxing and if there are some attributes I should focus on first to improve?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The fortune teller and the maid are generally recommended, because of the benefits they give you at their highest levels.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Persona 5 R : The wiki covers most things. I would say Temperance and Fortune are more important to get quickly as they save time slots, though Star is handy (and they all need various points in the plot to unlock anyway). In my (kind of lazy) run near the end I was tight on afternoon slots but had tons of free evenings. But your mileage may vary. Also, I think the game tells you, but having the right Arcana in your head makes you get more bond points for hanging out with confidants. Often worth the hassle and money to have (you can throw away personas in your menu with the options button if you are full.)

It's generally more forgiving with more wiggle room than P4 (and dear god more than P3) so I mostly advice just playing and seeing how it goes. But there are guides around for dialogue options and stuff if you want.

EDIT : The main boost Fortune gives is actually at about 5, as her 10 is "Don't have to have a dialogue guide open on my phone."

EDIT EDIT : And check the playstation store for free DLC. I think all the Persona5classic DLC is free for Royal regardless. Mostly just dressup stuff, but might be nice.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 27, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The fortune teller and the maid are generally recommended, because of the benefits they give you at their highest levels.

Tylana posted:

Persona 5 R : The wiki covers most things. I would say Temperance and Fortune are more important to get quickly as they save time slots, though Star is handy (and they all need various points in the plot to unlock anyway). In my (kind of lazy) run near the end I was tight on afternoon slots but had tons of free evenings. But your mileage may vary. Also, I think the game tells you, but having the right Arcana in your head makes you get more bond points for hanging out with confidants. Often worth the hassle and money to have (you can throw away personas in your menu with the options button if you are full.)

It's generally more forgiving with more wiggle room than P4 (and dear god more than P3) so I mostly advice just playing and seeing how it goes. But there are guides around for dialogue options and stuff if you want.

EDIT : The main boost Fortune gives is actually at about 5, as her 10 is "Don't have to have a dialogue guide open on my phone."

EDIT EDIT : And check the playstation store for free DLC. I think all the Persona5classic DLC is free for Royal regardless. Mostly just dressup stuff, but might be nice.

Alright, thanks for the headsup.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Unreal_One posted:

GoT question: should you sell iron once you've completely upgraded your swords?

As far as I can tell, yeah. Same for the other metals and wood once the bows are maxed. You can even add up how much you'll need and sell the excess if you're lacking some of the rarer components.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tylana posted:

There's indeed a free DLC pack that has all the DLC costume sets from the original version of the game.

Also didn't a 100% run through P3 have something like a single day to spare, and only with perfect planning of the entire year?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Unless they changed it for P5: Royal, it's also a good idea to level the doctor link until you can buy the accessory that regenerates your spell points during every battle. Once you can get one of those, you can stay in the palaces for dramatically longer.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just reinstalled Medieval 2 for the first time in approximately ten years. Anyone have any good advice for understanding the economy or how to handle unit recruitment/replenishment? Almost all of my total war experience is with Warhammer, Warhammer 2, and 3K, so I'm very used to units replenishing to full strength just for being in friendly territory. I have a vague sense that's not how Med 2 works? Also a vague sense that I kept restarting as England and getting grumpy that I had a hard time early on.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Arcturas posted:

I just reinstalled Medieval 2 for the first time in approximately ten years. Anyone have any good advice for understanding the economy or how to handle unit recruitment/replenishment? Almost all of my total war experience is with Warhammer, Warhammer 2, and 3K, so I'm very used to units replenishing to full strength just for being in friendly territory. I have a vague sense that's not how Med 2 works? Also a vague sense that I kept restarting as England and getting grumpy that I had a hard time early on.

Not economy, but:
Park a diplomat next to Rome, keep bribing the pope with small gifts.
Or gift a territory at your border that you don't want to the pope.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To replenish units you need to place them in a settlement that is capable of training that unit type and then use the Retrain function. This'll take both time and money, though. Merging partly depleted units and just restocking the army from troops you trained in the meantime always seemed like the easier solution to me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I have no idea what I'm doing in Lords of Magic. Help.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mafia 3

There is a hidden loyalty system for your underbosses. Its based purely upon how you divy up rackets and districts, so if you want to piss someone off make them do the work of securing rackets then give the entire district to someone else.
This affects the story if you go to an extreme, and the endings a bit depending on other choices.

The enemy AI is atrocious, and can be baited one by one through doorways or killzones. They're a bit slow to react to grenades, and you can shoot destroyable terrain or objects with a silenced weapon and they wont notice.

There are far too many enemies in most missions to take on without either spending a ton of time in stealth, exploiting their AI or calling in friends.

Buying a gun from the arms dealer is more like buying a license. That weapon becomes free permanently.

I found the consigliere upgrades through the Italian underboss a huge help, because later on she will also pick up any kickback money you have waiting as well as depositing cash on hand for you.

Even if you find some of the radio stations or their personalities or guests annoying, I think the story plays better if you get more exposure. Try to suffer through them for a little bit at least.

You don't need any car upgrades to win the races, though the rewards for doing them isn't anything special. If you want to break the records you may need the passive upgrades from the various Underbosses, specific gear tuning is overkill.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vadun posted:

Mafia 3

The collectibles (Playboy magazines, posters etc.) are just those gallery items and won't give you any in-game rewards or achievements.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I forget his name but I seem to remember the good ol boy radio station host having an interesting arc, he’s worth paying attention to if nobody else (iirc the game makes it kind of hard to ignore him, but then maybe that’s only because there are like three radio stations in the game)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing in Lords of Magic. Help.
Lords of Magic is a turn-based strategy game with party-based realtime combat. You assemble groups of characters and send them into combat against the enemies in the lairs and ruins that litter the world. In between doing that, you research spells and improve your capital city with buildings that improve your income and allow for more powerful troops to be created

Start by trying to take your faction's Great Temple, which will be very nearby and requires only the most basic of forces to take. Once you have it, you will get access to the full capabilities of your capital city and can focus on building up your strength.

For your first few games, pick Water. The amazons are fairly strong, easy to use and they ride war ostriches.

Do not try to fight Balkoth if you see him early on, he is a total rear end in a top hat and really difficult to defeat.

Also, read all the spell descriptions in the library. They're all written in-character and really good and atmospheric.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any more stuff beyond the wiki for Slay the Spire for a first time player?
Wiki: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Slay_the_Spire

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kalenden posted:

prioritizing fighting elites is generally a good idea once you get a little bit more experienced with the game, as if you win you get good rewards and if you lose your deck probably wasn't strong enough to progress to the end anyway

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kalenden posted:

Have you played any sort of deckbuilder before (either in videogame or actual card game form)? One general rule for most of them is that anything with card draw is stronger than it looks at first glance. This is less true for Slay the Spire than it is for some other deckbuilders (as energy is your big limiting factor) but its still true. As energy is a limiting factor, any thing that gives you energy is worth at least considering. Similarly, in general a small deck of good cards is what you are aiming for, so given the chance to remove cards, take it and remove some basic cards (I usually prioritise removing strikes unless I have a curse to remove, presuming I've managed to add some decent attacks to my deck. Literally any attack you are offered is better than a strike). It is possible to go too far too fast with this, but you'll get the feel for it.

One specific tip about StS that a lot of people miss: You can look at the map before picking your bonus at the start of a run. This can sometimes help you decide which bonus to pick.

Once you reach the second floor (after the first boss) you'll quickly realise that second floor basic fights are much tougher. Consider plotting a route through the floor which avoids as many basic hallway fights as you can.

There is a very new player friendly thread here, any questions go ahead and ask here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846968

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Re: Slay the Spire

Treat your HP as a resource just like gold. If you find yourself at full health more often than not, you should be finding ways to use that health to get better cards and artifacts. This means taking more elite battles or events that reduce your current or max HP.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Truman Sticks posted:

Re: Slay the Spire

Treat your HP as a resource just like gold. If you find yourself at full health more often than not, you should be finding ways to use that health to get better cards and artifacts. This means taking more elite battles or events that reduce your current or max HP.

100% this. The only hit point that matters is the last one.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Another StS advice thing: your starting strike cards are garbage and good targets for removal when you get better attack options. They're not really worth upgrading. The starting blocks aren't great either but they're better than the strikes.

Edit addendum: this is most true for ironclad but others as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Adding to that, it makes sense to sacrifice damage over blocking if you remember to treat hp as a finite resource. Card draw is infinite, your deck recycles. Hp is not. So having to draw more cards to kill stuff, but taking less damage in the process is a beneficial trade for you overall.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

One specific tip about StS that a lot of people miss: You can look at the map before picking your bonus at the start of a run. This can sometimes help you decide which bonus to pick.
One specific use for this action that I realized way too late: there's a bonus that makes enemies in your first three encounters start with 1 HP. If you can get into a miniboss room during that time (some luck will be involved in the ? rooms), this basically turns into a free relic, making for a very strong starting option.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

anilEhilated posted:

One specific use for this action that I realized way too late: there's a bonus that makes enemies in your first three encounters start with 1 HP. If you can get into a miniboss room during that time (some luck will be involved in the ? rooms), this basically turns into a free relic, making for a very strong starting option.

On a really really really good day you can occasionally hit two elites and get two artifacts.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's not really some super complex thing, but any general tips for Ravenfield? Mostly just how to do things so that your team doesn't guaranteed lose every time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ShootaBoy posted:

It's not really some super complex thing, but any general tips for Ravenfield? Mostly just how to do things so that your team doesn't guaranteed lose every time.

In Conquest mode you have to look to your right to access the research interface.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Lords of Magic is a turn-based strategy game with party-based realtime combat. You assemble groups of characters and send them into combat against the enemies in the lairs and ruins that litter the world. In between doing that, you research spells and improve your capital city with buildings that improve your income and allow for more powerful troops to be created

Start by trying to take your faction's Great Temple, which will be very nearby and requires only the most basic of forces to take. Once you have it, you will get access to the full capabilities of your capital city and can focus on building up your strength.

For your first few games, pick Water. The amazons are fairly strong, easy to use and they ride war ostriches.

Do not try to fight Balkoth if you see him early on, he is a total rear end in a top hat and really difficult to defeat.

Also, read all the spell descriptions in the library. They're all written in-character and really good and atmospheric.

Thanks for this. Took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out the map is always the same and my temple is always in the same spot. I keep trying to play it like HoMM.

Sometimes, I lose for no reason and it plays a cutscene of Death winning, and sometimes this happens very early in the run. What's triggering it? I have yet to even encounter anyone from Death in any of my games but somehow they keep winning.

Are the Legends of Urak any good for actually teaching anything about the game or are they just fun flavor? I found the "hidden" one by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Sometimes, I lose for no reason and it plays a cutscene of Death winning, and sometimes this happens very early in the run. What's triggering it? I have yet to even encounter anyone from Death in any of my games but somehow they keep winning.

Are the Legends of Urak any good for actually teaching anything about the game or are they just fun flavor? I found the "hidden" one by accident.
The Legends are special scenario games, not tutorials. They're something you're really more supposed to play once you already have a solid grasp on the game and want to try something different. They were introduced with the Special Edition of the game, so think of them as expansion content.

As to the other thing... yeah, that happens sometimes, I was personally also never really sure why. The game is pretty arcane at times, but it doesn't do things randomly even if it seems that way sometimes, so chances are that something happened between turns that kicked you out of the game and you just never got to see it. Death doesn't have a special victory condition that you don't, as you will see once you get to play it yourself, but something like your capital being taken by marauding enemies while you were outside doing exploration can happen and it's basically an instant game over.

I would download and read the game's manual, if you haven't already. It's one of those classic, super-detailed paper bricks and gives you basically a full walkthrough of the early game, if you care to read it all.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 30, 2020