Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

I should have stuck with landscaping as a career.

Work on a crew for a bit, build contacts, start your own company, underbid your old employer, hire your own crew, ex-employee underboss you.

It’s the circle of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gabriel S. posted:

Telecom is interesting just expect to see layoffs all the time with more jobs shipped overseas.

Oh yeah I love telecom but it's a sad dying industry as a whole. There's a niche in SiP where there is a fair bit of overlap, but you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone with deep roots in old telecom (think 80's AT&T/Bell Atlantic). All the SiP people I've encountered outside of vendors are just babies hacking together FreePBX systems because their call center employer doesn't want to pay for phones.
On the other hand you will be hard pressed to find another industry (except mechanical engineers and OLD motorcycle/car technicians) where you encounter as much crazy ancient Greybeard wizardry.
On the other hand there's also the Cellular arm of the telecom world which has almost nothing to do with actual telephony and MY loving GOD do they have some batshit insane networks. Like not in a good way.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No matter where you go, the entire IT department is 2 people and the entire establishment is comprised of Karens.
Everything is a pile of poo poo that was cobbled together 20 years ago (regardless of when you start working there) and nobody will ever spend money on anything.

Also the semester just started and "NOBODY CAN CONNECT THEIR IPADS TO THE WI-FI OH MY GOD WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR?!?!?" there was never wi-fi

This.

This environment also creates either A) the best services consultants ever or B) the worst curmudgeonly neckbeard IT guys ever. When I ran a team at a MSP, I recruited almost exclusively from education. The good ones that could deal with making the aforementioned 20-year-old poo poo work for the Karens in the office had no issue going on-site to a customer's location.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Manufacturing - constantly understaffed with big budgets that get promised and then get stripped down to nothing when engineering/operations wants more stuff. But since everything is held together with duct tape and institutional knowledge, you have decent job security.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 21, 2023

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zotix posted:

Has anyone had experience with TekSystems? From what I've read they are a contracting company that looks to place you into a job. The company pays Tek say $45. Tek gets $15, the recruiter gets $15, and you get $15. Something along those lines. I've read good things and bad things about them, but I'm wondering if any of you have worked first hand with them. A recruiter just sent me a message and I'm interested in hearing them out tomorrow. At the worst I can get some experience interviewing and resume assistance I suppose.

Also I provide assistance in my current meager MSP job to law firms. The secretarial assistants and paralegals get worked to death and are generally nice, but fearful of attorneys and partners. Most attorneys and partners are generally nice, but if they are pricks it's exponentially worse the higher up they are. Most don't have the time for any troubleshooting. If they get 5 minutes to attempt to get their tech issues sorted, they generally want it fixed in those 5 minutes. Also, they work every day of the year. It is literally go go go constantly for everyone in the legal industry. It seems like an awful lifestyle and work life balance, but that's just what I've gathered on the phones from 9 months of MSP work.

Lots of people have had horror stories about them. I wouldn't personally talk to them at all unless I was desperate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Advertising is another industry to avoid. It's full of toxic personalities, outdated tech, low budgets, and unreasonable deadlines. the user base is even worse.

Well great, that's the industry I have a tech interview for on Thursday. At least this one is using new tech.

Sickening posted:

Lots of people have had horror stories about them. I wouldn't personally talk to them at all unless I was desperate.

I got my current job from a Teksystems contract, their insurance is expensive and mediocre but I didn't really have any problems with them. The main problem was that halfway through my contract the company decided it would be cheaper for the administrator titles to go to offshore guys so at conversion they told me that I was always supposed to be a NOC tech and they had no idea why I was told it was an admin position and by the way you're getting a $10/hr pay cut.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 29, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zotix posted:

Has anyone had experience with TekSystems? From what I've read they are a contracting company that looks to place you into a job. The company pays Tek say $45. Tek gets $15, the recruiter gets $15, and you get $15. Something along those lines.

For an agency like TekSystems it's more like they get $15, and pay the recruiter peanuts and use a non-compete agreement to keep them from contacting you again when their metrics dip a little and they get fired. That's why, no matter how good a rapport you built with the person from the agency, suddenly they'll go dark and you never hear from them again. Taking customer lists and the like with you is one of the few ways to reliably lose a lawsuit over a non-compete.

It's the sleazy MSPs like the one I used to work for that charge 100% markup.

They got me a job years ago, but it was the advertising agency so I'm ambivalent towards them. In recent years I'd get a call from a new recruiter every 9 months or so, just familiarizing themselves with the resumes on file.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hooray, I passed az900.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zotix posted:

Has anyone had experience with TekSystems? From what I've read they are a contracting company that looks to place you into a job. The company pays Tek say $45. Tek gets $15, the recruiter gets $15, and you get $15. Something along those lines. I've read good things and bad things about them, but I'm wondering if any of you have worked first hand with them. A recruiter just sent me a message and I'm interested in hearing them out tomorrow. At the worst I can get some experience interviewing and resume assistance I suppose.

Also I provide assistance in my current meager MSP job to law firms. The secretarial assistants and paralegals get worked to death and are generally nice, but fearful of attorneys and partners. Most attorneys and partners are generally nice, but if they are pricks it's exponentially worse the higher up they are. Most don't have the time for any troubleshooting. If they get 5 minutes to attempt to get their tech issues sorted, they generally want it fixed in those 5 minutes. Also, they work every day of the year. It is literally go go go constantly for everyone in the legal industry. It seems like an awful lifestyle and work life balance, but that's just what I've gathered on the phones from 9 months of MSP work. I assist with a few different firms and the culture of the internal IT teams seems to vary depending on the culture of that firm. One just seems absolutely awful, and the other two seem like the staff is pretty chill.

My current job I got through TekSystems, I was CtH with a contract time of 3 months, after 1.5m the company bought out the contract with TekSystems and hired me full time. The recruiter from tek still reaches out every so often to check on me and has been super cool/nice, but I had heard tons of horror stories so I guess it depends on the recruiter.

Sadly, I can't work with her again due to the non-compete, but I've had a fuckload of other people from that company contact me basically since about 6 months after getting FTE for the aforementioned job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New round of medical students/interns or whatever

They want five laptops NOW

Sorry, we used them for WFH and to other departments that need them NOW

so the doctor who’s bitching....we start checking on the laptops already allocated to them. A bunch aren’t turned on, some haven’t been turned on in a while. Two of them are on Netflix using by current employees, so we march down there and my boss takes them from them and turns them in. First he took screenshots. So here’s why your current laptops aren’t available they’re being used for watching videos. One student was using two laptops, one to do charting the other to watch Netflix while they chart!

Fun stuff

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The two small finance companies(less than ten people), I've worked for was nice.Civil engineering I got treated like "the help" more often than not.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Academic IT isn't too bad, though the lack of budget is an issue. I'm probably going to get furloughed a couple of weeks because of a tuition melt though. Feeling pretty good about job security though since IT hands are needs to facilitate online learning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's funny what reading the instruction manuals will do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Methanar posted:

I should have stuck with landscaping as a career.

There are days...

Zotix posted:

Also I provide assistance in my current meager MSP job to law firms. The secretarial assistants and paralegals get worked to death and are generally nice, but fearful of attorneys and partners. Most attorneys and partners are generally nice, but if they are pricks it's exponentially worse the higher up they are. Most don't have the time for any troubleshooting. If they get 5 minutes to attempt to get their tech issues sorted, they generally want it fixed in those 5 minutes. Also, they work every day of the year. It is literally go go go constantly for everyone in the legal industry. It seems like an awful lifestyle and work life balance, but that's just what I've gathered on the phones from 9 months of MSP work. I assist with a few different firms and the culture of the internal IT teams seems to vary depending on the culture of that firm. One just seems absolutely awful, and the other two seem like the staff is pretty chill.

My current experience with Tek Systems is fine. They shopped me to a couple of positions, and one bit. They hired me specifically for that position - I've not jumped around, and I didn't work for Tek before this position. The flip side is that the company I work *at* has a strange phobia about hiring full time for this particular position (desktop support), BUT has kept me for 3 years now. I actually work for Tek, with benefits, so it's not dismal. My recruiter and actual manager keep in contact and take me out to lunch every so often to talk and make sure I'm still happy in the role. YMMV with recruiter, manager, and location, I would assume.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my current job from a Teksystems contract, their insurance is expensive and mediocre but I didn't really have any problems with them.

That echoes my experience so far.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Hooray, I passed az900.

That's Azure Fundamentals, right? I took the free class last week, and got the code for the test this week. Would be my first cert!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

It's funny what reading the instruction manuals will do.

Forbidden knowledge!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Darchangel posted:

That's Azure Fundamentals, right? I took the free class last week, and got the code for the test this week. Would be my first cert!

That's the one, and it's my first cert as well. Can send you some good sites for practise questions if you want.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

That's the one, and it's my first cert as well. Can send you some good sites for practise questions if you want.
I would also appreciate that. Assuming my experience with Azure is limited, how hard is the test?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Did you take the test online or in a testing center?

I had az301 scheduled in March and need to take it before it goes away but haven’t wanted to deal with taking it online

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Oo, please!
Thank you!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does anyone here have opinions on earthlink as an ISP? Apparently my comcast contract is up, and apparently centurylink dsl in this area is even WORSE than them. Boulder/denver if it matters

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
That's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

Manufacturing - constantly understaffed with big budgets that get promised and then get stripped down to nothing when engineering/operations wants more stuff. But since everything is held together with duct tape and institutional knowledge, you have decent job security.

I enjoy it cause i get to go help make real things instead of dealing with dumb offices all day

EDIT: also the networking setup for motion control is almost as high performance as fintech type of stuff which is super cool but i refuse to ever work in anything fintech adjacent ever again

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I would also appreciate that. Assuming my experience with Azure is limited, how hard is the test?

It wasn't that bad. It's all multiple choice questions, apparently the number can vary but mine was 32 in total. The difficult bit is remembering what azure functions do what. Like I had one question where you had to know exactly where a network security group and a firewall differed.

https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-900/

That site has a lot of the questions that were in the test.

The Fool posted:

Did you take the test online or in a testing center?

I had az301 scheduled in March and need to take it before it goes away but haven’t wanted to deal with taking it online
Went into a centre to do it. I can get distracted very easily, plus I don't have a webcam and you need one to do it online

Darchangel posted:

Oo, please!
Thank you!

The examtopics link above helped me a lot, and the free stuff from MS covers everything you need.

https://vladtalkstech.com/az-900-study-guide-microsoft-azure-fundamentals

The bottom of that has a breakdown of what's covered and where you can read more about specific topics.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We're setting up printers to authenticate users with the card they used to badge into the building, and there's been an issue where sometimes when the user scans it doesn't recognize them.

The RFID reader was occasionally reading the number from the metro cards in people's wallets instead of the card they use to get in

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zotix posted:

I worked for them back when they were Aerotek. They're assholes, but most of these places are. They can get you in the door, but don't make them a career. Don't take anything that's not contract to hire unless you're starving.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

klosterdev posted:

We're setting up printers to authenticate users with the card they used to badge into the building, and there's been an issue where sometimes when the user scans it doesn't recognize them.

Print only on badge swipe is the one true way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheParadigm posted:

Does anyone here have opinions on earthlink as an ISP? Apparently my comcast contract is up, and apparently centurylink dsl in this area is even WORSE than them. Boulder/denver if it matters

They're either the original risen from the ashes and still run by the idiots, or they're the idiots who bought the name without realizing the kind of rep those morons had back in the day. Check DSL reports for your area and go with the least terrible option.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TheParadigm posted:

do they even exist as anything other than a reseller? if you look at whatever ip space is on bgp, it's all either charter cable with whois reassigned to earthlink, or windstream reassigned to earthlink, they don't even have their own AS or upstreams?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

do they even exist as anything other than a reseller? if you look at whatever ip space is on bgp, it's all either charter cable with whois reassigned to earthlink, or windstream reassigned to earthlink, they don't even have their own AS or upstreams?

Ugn. Isn't charter godamn awful?

Yeah, I was shopping around for ISPs in my area because its time for the ~comcast renewal dance~ and there's tons of ads for like, 1gb fiber in my town at a reasonable price, with explicit ads for no teaser rate, no data cap, no throttling.

I hadn't heard of windstream before, but at a brief googlign...

https://www.windstream.com/ this sales pitch sounds an awful lot like https://www.earthlink.net/internet/#/

Earthlink being a reseller explains why when I asked to talk to their business section they transfered me to a third party business/negotiator tho.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 30, 2020

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

I had one experience with them, seven months, one PM getting fired, and we had to threaten legal action to get them to run a line from the demarc to our office in a building they already serviced.

Never again. I can confidently say that I have a more favorable opinion of AT&T, which should pretty much sum it up.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 30, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you sniff the POST response I think it actually tells you who they are reselling https://www.earthlink.net/internet/

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

klosterdev posted:

The RFID reader was occasionally reading the number from the metro cards in people's wallets instead of the card they use to get in

for a few years the Lenel system in the campus i work for would initiate a max level alarm (same as a forced entry detected on a maglock) when a card with an “unparseable” facility code or whatever was read. this includes toronto’s metro cards. only once the market penetration of those metro cards was pretty high did they finally tune those alerts down from critical

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

is earthlink still owned by scientologists?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

I like them. I pay $69.99 for 160/10 or something like that at home.

We have their fiber at work and it's pretty solid. Cheaper than AT&T (lol)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

TheParadigm posted:

Come to the Denver thread in LAN and start an ISP slap fight. There are a few wifi providers in Denver, but if you're in the suburbs between Denver and Boulder that's less likely. There's some CTL fiber in some places that's great, CTL DSL is absolute bullshit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Come to the Denver thread in LAN and start an ISP slap fight. There are a few wifi providers in Denver, but if you're in the suburbs between Denver and Boulder that's less likely. There's some CTL fiber in some places that's great, CTL DSL is absolute bullshit.

come for the ISP chat, stay for the communism

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

While fighting Comcast and sorting through NANOG mail archives recently I came across this truism:
"You can have a carrier thats good at billing or a carrier thats good at networking. Never both."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

They (Spectrum) are pretty bad where I am in LA. My internet went out at like 5pm on Monday. Their twitter support claimed "there's no outage in your area" despite their UI saying there was a TV outage. Apparently the TV outage was "only affecting on-demand TV" so having no RF at my modem was unrelated??? They scheduled a tech to come out, earliest was for Sunday. So I went ahead and ordered AT&T fiber and will use Spectrum as a backup.

Later coming back from getting tacos, I see a spectrum cherrypicker doing cable guy things and 12 hours later we had internet again.