Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

multijoe posted:

Psychology, don't play a game without it

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

The recipient android has to have a VX chip and be connected to the Skymind too.

Edit: Honestly you should be sticking VX 2-3's in everyone anyway, bonus consciousness is hard to come by and they're fairly cheap to make, if hard to install

Slight downside is that anyone with a brain boosting chip also gets brain bad when a solar flare hits :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Insect jelly is made of any viable food matter, bugs carry raw food and corpses to hives to make jelly.

I found Better Infestations to be buggy(hah) and generally unpleasant, the no-prompts arrival of multiple bugs and hives on map edges or double spawns on regular infestations doesn't add much to the game. I've also not seen the hunting/defense split work. All that and the Queen just make infestations extra punishing if not immediately obliterated on spawn.

I didn't experience any notable bugs(!) and the offence/defence thing seemed to be working as intended but yeah I don't know if I'd play with it again, the way they just moved in and steamrolled me was ruthless which was a novel experience but also a 12 hour colony down the pan because of one lapse of foresight

That said, watching the bugs just go full Zerg mode across the entire region was pretty cool, by the time I finished running it there wasn't a single non-bug creature left on the map

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

multijoe posted:

Psychology, don't play a game without it

I've occasionally had compatibility issues between psychology and other mods. The only thing I really think is essential about it is the kinsey scale replacing sexuality traits, is there another mod that does that?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I haven't played for a while and this must be new as I have hundreds of hours in this game and have never encountered it.

Generally I like to frame my bases into a mountain as it'll give me a free wall or two.

I can't seem to build anything near the mountain anymore. It says everything I try to build requires terrain "light".

What does this mean? How do I know what I can't build on without actually trying to build on something? Does this mean mountains should be completely avoided now?

edit: nevermind, the area I was trying to build on was literally water and I am very stupid. Also I don't know how to delete a post.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 26, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

did you install some other mod that fucks with terrain types?

by default there's two weights of buildings, light and heavy. if you try to build on unsuitable terrain like mud or water, it'll auto-place a wood bridge over it which can only support light buildings (wood wall, some furnitures, etc). regular ground and stone can support heavy structures like stone walls and everything else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jelly posted:

I haven't played for a while and this must be new as I have hundreds of hours in this game and have never encountered it.

Generally I like to frame my bases into a mountain as it'll give me a free wall or two.

I can't seem to build anything near the mountain anymore. It says everything I try to build requires terrain "light".

What does this mean? How do I know what I can't build on without actually trying to build on something? Does this mean mountains should be completely avoided now?

edit: nevermind, the area I was trying to build on was literally water and I am very stupid. Also I don't know how to delete a post.

You cannot delete posts, only edit them. Congrats on figuring it out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

multijoe posted:

I didn't experience any notable bugs(!) and the offence/defence thing seemed to be working as intended but yeah I don't know if I'd play with it again, the way they just moved in and steamrolled me was ruthless which was a novel experience but also a 12 hour colony down the pan because of one lapse of foresight

That said, watching the bugs just go full Zerg mode across the entire region was pretty cool, by the time I finished running it there wasn't a single non-bug creature left on the map

If you encounter an enemy or enemy attack you can't win against, your best bet is to form a caravan and run, or use transport pods to flee the map. If you can, grab food and components to take with you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SugarAddict posted:

If you encounter an enemy or enemy attack you can't win against, your best bet is to form a caravan and run, or use transport pods to flee the map. If you can, grab food and components to take with you.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1125839557352742913?s=19

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

At least he isn't actively removing gameplay mechanics and options because people are playing it wrong. (I'm looking at you, Stone Soup.)

Oh hey, you need chairs for people to use the poker table.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Danaru posted:

Theres a second mod called Locks that you need, you can unlock their cell door and they'll go do work

Ah whoops! Thought that was optional but perhaps I misunderstood.

Side question, any of the common popular mods screw up operation bills? One of my guys ate a fireball that... shredded his brain. I can't actually pop him open up stick a chip or anything in there, it just didn't do the drop down menu at all. I use EPOE, but I stuck in Scar Removal someone had linked and maybe it's just breaking something, I assumed I would have an operation to do the scar removal.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Synnr posted:

Side question, any of the common popular mods screw up operation bills? One of my guys ate a fireball that... shredded his brain. I can't actually pop him open up stick a chip or anything in there, it just didn't do the drop down menu at all. I use EPOE, but I stuck in Scar Removal someone had linked and maybe it's just breaking something, I assumed I would have an operation to do the scar removal.

Use medipod mod that will straight up heal EVERYTHING but death and bleeding out, be sure to reduce bleeding so your pawn doesn't die while being healed.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

OwlFancier posted:

Slight downside is that anyone with a brain boosting chip also gets brain bad when a solar flare hits :v:

:stare: Good to know then!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have brain bad even when there ISN'T a solar flare :smugbert: take THAT, Skymind users

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Use medipod mod that will straight up heal EVERYTHING but death and bleeding out, be sure to reduce bleeding so your pawn doesn't die while being healed.

Pff, if you're going for overpowered nonsense skip the medipod and get yourself Mechanite Forge. Trollblood laughs at wounds, Seraphium laughs at everything else short of instant death, and Addiction Purifier laughs at the devil.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Synnr posted:

Any chance you can provide a screenshot of when you click the dropdown button? I dont think I've had that issue before but one of us might be able to spot something. I have EPOE but not scar removal (I use the Dermal Regenerator mod)

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Danaru posted:

Any chance you can provide a screenshot of when you click the dropdown button? I dont think I've had that issue before but one of us might be able to spot something. I have EPOE but not scar removal (I use the Dermal Regenerator mod)

I yanked out scar removal and it seemed to be the issue. I thought it was a different mod before when I had this issue and googled it. I'm not entirely sure WHY scar removal broke it, I didn't see anything in the logs but it's fine. I have a rimmagic priest now, so I'm not too worried about scar tissue on me brain anymore.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's a rough 26. At least if you can nab a raider and dole out some weed you can fix that right up

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ya her real age is 2976 so it's been a rough couple of years.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Danaru posted:

That's a rough 26. At least if you can nab a raider and dole out some weed you can fix that right up

Does a heart transplant fix a generic “artery blockage?”

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sex Hobbit posted:

Uh poo poo good question, if it's a "Heart: artery blockage" then yes, I dont think it's a whole body thing but I forget

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just rip out all their arteries and get a needle and thread.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Replace it all with PVC piping, it's the future call it bionic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Megasloth meat is extremely high in bad cholesterol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

queserasera posted:

:stare: Good to know then!

It's not crippling but yeah, it basically makes them susceptible to solar flares the same way androids are, they go down to I think about 60% consciousness in a solar flare. Probably still worth it, but if you have a big pile of consciousness boosters from other sources, it can be a very large hit to their effectiveness during solar flares when other parts of your colony are already suffering.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I try to have non-electric tasks for solar flares. I have people building sandbags and traps, rolling joints, building fires to make pemmican if I'm worried about my perishables going bad. Randy for some reason likes dropping raids on me when my power goes out. It's an interesting challenge fighting off a mortar delegation with colonists drunk and stoned out of their gourds.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does Vanilla have any sort of de-aging nanite juju in it?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ShadowHawk posted:

Does Vanilla have any sort of de-aging nanite juju in it?

No but with bionic organs and healer mech serums you can keep a colonist alive forever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

In vanilla at least, yeah. It's technically a modifier on the heart part, so swapping it for bionics solves that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sex Hobbit posted:

It does. Further, a bionic heart is immune to artery blockage.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

All my 50+ pawns get bionic hearts and spines.

Had one pawn get a heart attack. I instantly sent him to the hospital and called for a medic. He then left the hospital bed and went to the recreation room. This terminated the medics task as well. Sent the patient back to the hospital and he left the bed again and then died from the heart attack.

Never risking that again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a bionic spine is actually a complete waste if the pawn's back is healthy. unlike almost all other bionics, a bionic spine is a straight replacement for a natural one, and while it precludes developing 'bad back', many pawns are too young for that to be a reasonable possibility in the scope of your game, and on the off chance it does happen a bad back is not an acute problem. bionic hearts are a great investment even if the pawn's heart is healthy because in addition to being immune to blockage and heart attacks (which CAN happen on young pawns from flat bad luck), they reduce sleep need about as much as a royal bed does (and it stacks), so pawns will spend less time sleeping.

a bionic heart is usually the first chrome piece i give to everyone in my colony, after the usual eye/arm chromejob of the colony doctors.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pretty sure a bionic parts that are just flat replacement are also more durable to damage that can mortally wound pawns.

Like they at worst just "crack" and then repair over time. As opposed to suffering various kinds of catastrophic damage with accompanying bleeding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bionic stomachs cause gently caress gut worms and gently caress YOU RANDY

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My willingness to accept useful Sickly pawns depends entirely on how big an expense a bionic stomach and two bionic kidneys would be at the time.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Asimo posted:

My willingness to accept useful Sickly pawns depends entirely on how big an expense a bionic stomach and two bionic kidneys would be at the time.

Do they have passion for crafting, shooting, melee and they don't have a trait that's "gently caress everyone I'm gonna do my own thing"? Bionics are cheap, being 2+ years in a game without a decent crafter passion pawn then only having 1 for 5+ years is very painful.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was amazed at the range of exotic diseases a sickly pawn could get. Things I never heard of before and completely unrelated to the biome too.

It helps a bit to permanently put them on that pero-thingy-xine medicine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Do they have passion for crafting, shooting, melee and they don't have a trait that's "gently caress everyone I'm gonna do my own thing"? Bionics are cheap, being 2+ years in a game without a decent crafter passion pawn then only having 1 for 5+ years is very painful.

Depends on how much plasteel you've got available, with ground penetrating radar now being functionally unusable plasteel is a giant loving problem if you don't have some visible on your map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Coolguye posted:

Depends on how much plasteel you've got available, with ground penetrating radar now being functionally unusable plasteel is a giant loving problem if you don't have some visible on your map.

otoh, quests will routinely throw thousands of units of plasteel at you