Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
I'm on a rivalry movie kick. Watched The Duellists and Rush past couple nights. Looking for anything similar. Them being historical rivalries are a bonus, but not necessary, I'm just looking for any movies about two dudes who loving hate each other over an escalating grudge.

Sartana fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sartana posted:

I'm on a rivalry movie kick. Watched The Duellists and Rush past couple nights. Looking for anything similar. Them being historical rivalries are a bonus, but not necessary, I'm just looking for any movies about two dudes who loving hate each other over an escalating grudge.

The Prestige? Ford vs. Ferrari? Amadeus?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sartana posted:

First thing I thought of was Sleuth. (I personally like both versions but YMMV) Also, the Favourite isn't dudes but it is certainly that type of film. Tangentially, Killing of a Sacred Deer is worth checking out if you're down with dark comedy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sartana posted:

There Will Be Blood kind of has this. Days of Thunder!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

There Will Be Blood kind of has this. Days of Thunder!

Days of Thunder is so schlocky but the wheelchair race tickles me every time.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Sartana posted:

Twilight? :shrug:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Barry Lyndon, in a way. Fist of the White Lotus?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

2LDK, if you can find a copy

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Digital neorealism. Neorealism shot on the digital camera. native videotape

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
What's a good movie to slot between Forbidden Planet and Jurassic Park? Ideally something from within the 40 year gap that separates them

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

morestuff posted:

The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Thanks!

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Oh sweet it even has a young Jeff Goldblum

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

FunkyAl posted:

Digital neorealism. Neorealism shot on the digital camera. native videotape

Personal Problems (1980)
The Forest for the Trees (2003)
Julien Donkey Boy (1999)
In Vanda’s Room (2000)
Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Gips (2001)
Girlfriend: Someone Please Stop the World (2004)
Noriko’s Dinner Table (2005)
Kotoko (2011)
Oxhide (2005) , Oxhide II (2009)
Take Out (2004)
Chuck and Buck (2000)
Another Girl Another Planet (1992)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm looking for fun lowbrow movies that have a thoughtful upside, think: original Robocop (or anything Verhoevan).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Upgrade recently along those lines

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sartana posted:

The rivalry is constrained to a naval engagement that takes place over the course of months, but Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has something of this, and is a fantastic movie otherwise.

morestuff posted:

I liked Upgrade recently along those lines

Also, The Invisible Man from the same director.

And The First Purge, which is significantly better than any of the previous ones.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm looking for fun lowbrow movies that have a thoughtful upside, think: original Robocop (or anything Verhoevan).

Street Trash (1987) and Society (1989) are both from that era.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hamburger the Motion Picture

E: Or Tammy and the T rex

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 22, 2020

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm finding it hard to find decent movies on Netflix/Hulu/Prime lately. I'm looking for movies like Creep/Creep2, Would You Rather, The Collector series, Saw series (not for the gore, I just like the idea, but the later movies are really bad), Midsommar, Kristy, Killing Ground. I also like stuff like the Sinister trilogy and the Conjuring movies, but a lot of the movies I'm seeing are cheap rip offs and have descriptions like "A group of college students visit an abandoned asylum. They never expected this!!!" and just aren't worth watching.

Are there just too many lovely movies out there?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My dude, you been to the horror thread?

Your list it pretty broad for recommending movies 'like' them, unless you just mean any decent horror movies. Some decent-to-great movies people have generally liked over the past decade have been Hereditary, The Witch, It Follows, Get Out, The Lodge, Mandy, The Lighthouse, The Haunting of Hill House netflix series, The Ritual, The Babadook, Suspiria (2019). Most or all are on one of the streaming services you mentioned. Also, you need to get Shudder asap.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I've seen and liked most of those. I don't get why everyone likes Suspira and Hereditary. Hated them both.

I'm looking for movies like the ones I mentioned that aren't paranormal, but I do have room for good ones like the Sinister series and the Conjuring and Conjuring-adjacent movies. I also really enjoyed Resolution and The Endless.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok maybe good you stayed out of the horror thread then ;)

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me. Try-hard "cheesy" cool is fine. I find Payback to be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it just works for me (despite Gibson's real-life antics souring the rest of his filmography for me). Also doesn't matter if it's an "obvious" one, below is all I can think of currently and I don't mind rewatches of stuff I've simply forgotten (besides anything else Tarantino that isn't on the list, I'm aware of all of them).

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this).

Stuff I can think of that I've seen and enjoyed (in order of preference):

Payback
Snatch
Jackie Brown
The Nice Guys
The American
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
The Ocean's Series
Leon
Drive
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Long Kiss Goodnight

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Akapursch posted:

I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me. Try-hard "cheesy" cool is fine. I find Payback to be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it just works for me (despite Gibson's real-life antics souring the rest of his filmography for me). Also doesn't matter if it's an "obvious" one, below is all I can think of currently and I don't mind rewatches of stuff I've simply forgotten (besides anything else Tarantino that isn't on the list, I'm aware of all of them).

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this).

Stuff I can think of that I've seen and enjoyed (in order of preference):

Payback
Snatch
Jackie Brown
The Nice Guys
The American
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
The Ocean's Series
Leon
Drive
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Long Kiss Goodnight

I'm sensing you're generally after crime films so: La Haine, A Prophet, Layer Cake, Grosse Pointe Blank. The King of New York, Fresh, Clockers, Ronin, Amores Perros.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Akapursch posted:

I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me.
First thing that comes to mind is doing more of a deep dive on certain directors related to what you listed:
Guy Ritchie - Sherlock Holmes, Man from UNCLE & The Gentlemen
Shane Black - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Coen Bros - No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, & True Grit
Steven Soderbergh - Haywire & Logan Lucky
Nicolas Winding Refn - Bronson
Martin Scorcese - The Departed, Shutter Island & Wolf of Wall Street
Edgar Wright - Hot Fuzz & Baby Driver
And some randoms - John Wick 1-3, Hanna, Sicario, Free Fire, Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale, Hustlers, & Debt Collectors

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

First thing that came to mind was The Usual Suspects

Edit: I obviously completely missed the “post” part of “post-90s”

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I'm sensing you're generally after crime films so: La Haine, A Prophet, Layer Cake, Grosse Pointe Blank. The King of New York, Fresh, Clockers, Ronin, Amores Perros.

fenix down posted:

First thing that comes to mind is doing more of a deep dive on certain directors related to what you listed:
Guy Ritchie - Sherlock Holmes, Man from UNCLE & The Gentlemen
Shane Black - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Coen Bros - No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, & True Grit
Steven Soderbergh - Haywire & Logan Lucky
Nicolas Winding Refn - Bronson
Martin Scorcese - The Departed, Shutter Island & Wolf of Wall Street
Edgar Wright - Hot Fuzz & Baby Driver
And some randoms - John Wick 1-3, Hanna, Sicario, Free Fire, Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale, Hustlers, & Debt Collectors

There are a bunch here I haven't seen! I've been struggling so much since many of the app algorithms just keep showing me the same stuff over and over.

Thank you both so much! :D :cheers:

morestuff posted:

First thing that came to mind was The Usual Suspects

Edit: I obviously completely missed the “post” part of “post-90s”

Also thank you too! This had completely gone from my radar but also I think it's me who got the time framing wrong, because I had actually meant anything 1989 onwards (so I should have said post 1980s)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Vivarium is on Amazon Prime.

Psychological horror/sci-fi thing.

It's good.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hold the Dark, Black Mountain Side, Grizzly Man, 30 Days of Night

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Insomnia.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Timby posted:

The 3:10 to Yuma remake from a few years back.
This went over pretty well apart from the very end, so thanks :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Into The Wild
The Revenant
Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Wind River

edit: Sorry, it's Wyoming I'm reading. EU failure here.

Acht fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 29, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Acht posted:

Wind River

edit: Sorry, it's Wyoming I'm reading. EU failure here.

I was going to suggest this one too cause it's really good, and yeah not technically but functionally identical to what OP wants.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Death Hunt (1981) with Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Carl Weathers and a few other faces you'll recognize. It's a little cheesy/dated at times and very loosely based on a true story, but certainly worth watching.

Akapursch posted:

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this). [snip]

I'll second UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST's recommendation of Layer Cake. Less fantastical/absurd than something like Snatch and more heist-feeling(?) like an Oceans movie, but less silly and way more 'We're so drat cool" almost to the point of parody in some scenes but it never quite gets there. Still a funny movie at times with enough clever moments and famous faces to keep you interested.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

The Gold Rush, Runaway Train.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It's not a movie but The Terror is so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.