Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of that clip, does anyone have a sound file of "hey Adora" I want to use that for my message alert on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

Speaking of that clip, does anyone have a sound file of "hey Adora" I want to use that for my message alert on my phone

Which one? She says it dozens of times and a different way each time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
whichever would be most uncomfortable in a family setting will do nicely.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Yes this.

Honestly any of them, but the heeeeey Adora is my fav

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
This one.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Motherfucker posted:

Here's a compilation.

For my money, the most uncomfortable was Hello, Adora. but that's probably not the most uncomfortable in specifically a family setting.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I bring a gift from the PYF meme thread.

Sestze posted:

I love all scream_at_cat.jpgs. i save just about every one i come across (some may be reposts)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

I bring a gift from the PYF meme thread.

:perfect:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The detail of Scorpias claw is so good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just realized I never posted my S5 thoughts! I finished the show a couple weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it.

-I think the show peaked in Seasons 3 and 4.

-I, sadly, never quite bought that everyone was willing to support Catra's redemption. I 100% bought that Catra herself was truly sorry, but I never could wrap my head around how everyone could believe her about it. I feel that Catra burned every bridge beyond repair, except maybe with Scorpia. This slightly tainted my opinion of most of the season, and is the sole reason I put it below Seasons 3 and 4. If I could turn my brain off and just accept it...

-Horde Prime was a great villain. I loved when he was threatening Glimmer over dinner.

-Shadow Weaver's last line, "you're welcome," was deliciously snarky.

-Hordak's "I have a name." was so. loving. Good.

-I'm so happy Hordak and Entrapta got another shot. Easily my favorite couple on the show.

-Wrong Hordak is delightful.

-Assimilated Catra has a cool design, and her fight with Adora was one of the most emotionally charged scenes in the show. So good.

-Scorpia is the best princess and so is Entrapta. All other opinions are wrong.

-Netossa's plan to take down all the princesses owns. I love that it's like 80% "fire". I guess she's secretly Batman?

-Omg I love invisible cat thing. Never did catch its name. Such a cool design.

-Spinny is powerful! Why the hell weren't they using her before now? She's easily up there with Mermista, who I considered the most powerful princess. Well, other then Scorpia, who just wrecks everything, often by accident.

-Did I read the "I love you" scene between Bow and Glimmer right, that it was totally platonic (at least on Bow's side)?

-Whoa, that sure was a Big Gay Kiss. Bravo for the show going there, explicitly.

-I'm disappointed we didn't get even one He-Man episode. I was hoping that She-Ra would show up, save the day in a completely over-the-top manner with ease, and swoop out. Even if He-Man himself wasn't there, it would have been amazing to have She-Ra interact with his supporting cast and set some groundwork for an eventual spinoff series.

-Honestly, I really just wanted one scene of Skeletor being a huge jerk for no reason and laughing about it. The laugh is key.

-Please tell me they're gonna make a He-Man series, or a She-Ra sequel with him and his cast.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There's supposedly going to be a Masters of the Universe series handled by Kevin Smith on Netflix, but it'll have nothing to do with this show. Noelle Steveson said repeatedly in interviews when asked about He-Man that she wanted She-Ra to be able to stand on its own merits and she had zero intention of ever incorporating He-Man into the story. Which she didn't and it was great.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

She did say she was open to a Christmas episode crossover if Smith was down though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

-Did I read the "I love you" scene between Bow and Glimmer right, that it was totally platonic (at least on Bow's side)?

What's the reverse of gay blinders where you see a hetero couple and assume they're just good friends?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I absolutely had straight blinders for Bow and Glimmer until I saw the dream sequence where they were arm-in-arm

Not for Entrapdak, though. I choose to blame all my childhood viewings of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, but I am into the whole "mean guy softens because he loves a sweet girl" thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That was the one couple that didn't feel legit to me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

I absolutely had straight blinders for Bow and Glimmer until I saw the dream sequence where they were arm-in-arm

Not for Entrapdak, though. I choose to blame all my childhood viewings of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, but I am into the whole "mean guy softens because he loves a sweet girl" thing.

As it was written is seemed much less like a hetero pairing and more like 2 ace/demi/sapio people who've never been concerned with love or romance and just found the perfect person to fit into their life. Hordak maybe a little more extreme since emotions to him are such new thing but he was definitely feeling intense things when it came to Entrapta.

Wittgen posted:

That was the one couple that didn't feel legit to me.

It was kind of sudden but there was literally no indication they were queer. The rift between them after Glimmer went power-crazy definitely seemed quite a bit more intense then just "you were my friend"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 29, 2020

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

pentyne posted:

It was kind of sudden but there was literally no indication they were queer. The rift between them after Glimmer went power-crazy definitely seemed quite a bit more intense then just "you were my friend"

I agree it felt sudden but was hardly unexpected. Rewatching the early episodes I think the signals are clear, but it's not in focus. Bow's introductory act is to visit Glimmer's bedroom window and launch a heart covered note into it. We also learn they regularly sneaks into and out of same. Being a kid's show the romantic intent angle is reduced to mere implication, but it is definitely there.

ConfusedUs posted:

-I, sadly, never quite bought that everyone was willing to support Catra's redemption. I 100% bought that Catra herself was truly sorry, but I never could wrap my head around how everyone could believe her about it. I feel that Catra burned every bridge beyond repair, except maybe with Scorpia. This slightly tainted my opinion of most of the season, and is the sole reason I put it below Seasons 3 and 4. If I could turn my brain off and just accept it...

-Assimilated Catra has a cool design, and her fight with Adora was one of the most emotionally charged scenes in the show. So good.
Agreed!

Again, going back to the early episodes, I'm surprised how consistent the show is. I know it was approved basically as a complete 52 episode run but I'm curious about how in depth was their plotting and planning. Certainly a finale and climax should have lots of exciting, high energy, and dramatic events but I feel season 5 could have improved with a few more episodes showing progression. Could just be my interpretation, I knew it was ending and was wishing for more. I'm sure a second viewing will be different.

Also, just because, courtesy of Netflix's UK & Ireland's Youtube account: Catradora: The Catra and Adora Story In Full

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I mean... look, I assumed bow was gay as hell and thus the whole heart shaped note through the window sneaking thing just did not even register.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Bow uses a heart motif all over the place. That is pretty flimsy. Even something more substantive like how jealous Glimmer got at princess prom doesn't really address what I am getting at though.

I don't think Bow and Glimmer showed romantic chemistry. It's fine that they got together, but my reaction was and remains, "Really? Well, sure, whatever." For all the other pairings, it was a far more enthusiastic feeling of of course those two would fall in love.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Even though I knew there was literally zero chance of it happening, I too spent the entire show quietly hoping for Skeletor to appear, because we all know it would have been amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it helps Catra being accepted that she gets beat up multiple times by her new allies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It didn’t even register to me that Bow was interested in women at all. The only person he ever shows any interest in beyond friendship is Seahawk. The Glimmer thing at the end felt super flat and like pointless tidying up. They should have just left them as BFFs (which you can still totally read them as).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I liked it as a parallel to how gay couples get treated in cartoons, where they aren't officially confirmed so the network has plausible deniability.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Senerio posted:

I liked it as a parallel to how gay couples get treated in cartoons, where they aren't officially confirmed so the network has plausible deniability.

Yeah they had much more than Korra/Asami got.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I took their scenes at the end to be one-sided; romantic intent from Glimmer but an entirely platonic response from Bow. It's either that or Glimmer is going to be the most unbelievable beard on the planet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the reversal on how people view queer and straight relationships nowadays

Two characters of the same gender that interact once in a while - "They're totally dating and in love and here's what their kids will look like because True Love."
Two characters of different genders that show clear romantic interest in one another - "Never gonna happen."

Adored the relationships in She-Ra though and wish more series would take notes :allears:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The_Doctor posted:

It didn’t even register to me that Bow was interested in women at all. The only person he ever shows any interest in beyond friendship is Seahawk. The Glimmer thing at the end felt super flat and like pointless tidying up. They should have just left them as BFFs (which you can still totally read them as).

Wittgen posted:

Bow uses a heart motif all over the place. That is pretty flimsy. Even something more substantive like how jealous Glimmer got at princess prom doesn't really address what I am getting at though.
I don't think Bow and Glimmer showed romantic chemistry. It's fine that they got together, but my reaction was and remains, "Really? Well, sure, whatever." For all the other pairings, it was a far more enthusiastic feeling of of course those two would fall in love.

pressedbunny posted:

I took their scenes at the end to be one-sided; romantic intent from Glimmer but an entirely platonic response from Bow. It's either that or Glimmer is going to be the most unbelievable beard on the planet.

I think these are all fair interpretations, and that personally I'm leaning towards the BFFs angle. Glimmer is definitely expressing more than Bow, and it is somewhat unclear what his response is. He was definitely 'enthusiastic' about Sea-Hawk so who really knows. With this show, assume gay unless otherwise specified. :v:

Re: the heart motif; You're absolutely correct that we later learn just how much he leans into that symbol but the launching of a heart-filled note is the first act we see. An intentional act by a careful creator? I think the ambiguity was intentional and I think it works. That's one of the things I like about this show, there's at least two ways to read most of the relationships.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
IIRC Glimbow was decided after one of the first script reads for the finale, where either Glimmer or Bow's VA asked if they were dating or not because they couldn't tell, and the response was 'eh why not', so that might factor into it feeling a little quick.

I thought it was likely after that one quick shot where Bow reaches for her in his sleep, but I will say I just saw them as friends before that.

Also Bow could be bi.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Pyrotoad posted:

IIRC Glimbow was decided after one of the first script reads for the finale, where either Glimmer or Bow's VA asked if they were dating or not because they couldn't tell, and the response was 'eh why not', so that might factor into it feeling a little quick.

I thought it was likely after that one quick shot where Bow reaches for her in his sleep, but I will say I just saw them as friends before that.

Also Bow could be bi.

I remember reading the Glimbow thing on Twitter too.

Also, there’s a scene in S5 where everyone is sitting around and Bow’s playing his lute, and Glimmer’s cuddled up to him, draped on his shoulder. That seemed like they really wanted to set up their intimacy.

I wonder if the reading script got recorded before the storyboards for these scenes were drawn, because the VA’s question and the subsequent read might’ve lead to the storyboard artist adding in these little unvoiced details.

And yeah, Bow could be bi.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

experienceBeej posted:

And yeah, Bow could be is bi.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Everyone's bi for Seahawk :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Everyone's bi for Seahawk :colbert:

It’s Etheria, everyone’s bi.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Oh absolutely. Even my dumb rear end figured that out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I mean... look, I assumed bow was gay as hell and thus the whole heart shaped note through the window sneaking thing just did not even register.

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, I dunno either. I don't remember him using a lot of heart arrows later on in the show and he could've just picked a different one at the time instead if he felt like it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s Etheria, everyone’s bi.

Not Catra and Adora, they're gay as all hell

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I never got relationship vibes from Bow and Glimmer, just "best friend" vibes, and honestly I thought it was cool that the show could portray a teen boy and a teen girl being sleepover-style best friends without introducing romantic tension between them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At this point confusion is such an endemic response to Bow/Glimmer becoming a couple at the end, to the point that even the VAs were confused and had to clarify, that I think we can safely call it a failure of the writing. It’s not blinders, it’s not some clever inversion, the two just plain have no romantic chemistry whatsoever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno, the Princess Prom episode can sort-of be read that way.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, the Princess Prom episode can sort-of be read that way.

in hindsight there is zero other reading and i felt kinda dumb for missing it

there’s other stuff too but since adora is also in the scenes you could be forgiven for thinking it’s abt both of them and not just Bow (it’s mostly abt Bow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Glimmer and Bow’s romance is fine. It’s low-key and entirely out of focus, but that’s how it is sometimes when two lifelong friends get together after preemptively sorting their drama.

Like Catra and Adora, the most explicit teasing of it prior to the final season actually comes very briefly in the first. I don’t know if that was intentional or not, but I actually appreciate that it wasn’t constantly at the forefront of their relationship.