Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Dragon Engine combat seems way less precise for some reason, there also seems to be a bit of input lag there. AoE attacks are really fun but overpowered (bikes being the ultimate weapon for ending standard mobs) but 1v1 feels worse than in the preious games. Maybe that's the reason they didn't add Ultimate Match/Climax Battles mode in any game after Kiwami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Terminally Bored posted:

Dragon Engine combat seems way less precise for some reason, there also seems to be a bit of input lag there. AoE attacks are really fun but overpowered (bikes being the ultimate weapon for ending standard mobs) but 1v1 feels worse than in the preious games. Maybe that's the reason they didn't add Ultimate Match/Climax Battles mode in any game after Kiwami.

bikes are the end-all of each yakuza game. kiryu comes into town for a week once every few years and the almighty legend ends up breaking 200 bicycles each night like a complete loving psycho. he's essentially a constant cloud of exploding bicycle parts that only relents when he feels like singing bakamitai yet again or finally getting around to the whole "haruka got kidnapped" thing. depending on the game, he might even feel like sending insurance premiums on scooters and motorcycles through the roof as well

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

probably, like, one person here who hasn't seen this but if you're them this is especially for you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Took a break from yakuza after beelining 0-> kiwami, just started kiwami 2 yesterday, already found the best substory

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

My Lovely Horse posted:

probably, like, one person here who hasn't seen this but if you're them this is especially for you

I had not seen this and I feel more complete thank you

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Wolfsheim posted:

Took a break from yakuza after beelining 0-> kiwami, just started kiwami 2 yesterday, already found the best substory

Still not the weirdest/horniest/best substory in Kiwami 2

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wolfsheim posted:

This one is very good, but its not the best that K2 has to offer. :colbert:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
good lord everyone’s just blocking in Y3

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
lets not pit that substory against be my baby. lets not underestimate kiryu having hearts fly off of him as a man in a speedo crawls around on the floor like an overexcited dog if a dog could work a camera

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Gotta say I'm on Majima's section of Dead Souls and he is playing Weekend at Bernies with a yakuza patriarch in order to complete a drug deal and at this point I cannot fathom disliking this game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

goblin week posted:

good lord everyone’s just blocking in Y3

Dodge behind people and hit 'em in the back, and learn Tiger Drop to annihilate the world

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

This one is very good, but its not the best that K2 has to offer. :colbert:

I would love to be proven wrong! I just made it to the cabaret club and met an old friend so I'm not that far in yet.

I will say while at first I was properly dazzled by the new engine and the ability to both walk into stores and throw street thugs into them I feel like the combat is a little too floaty compared to Y0/K1, and going from four different distinct style to a very pared down version of the dragon style was a little underwhelming. Does it give more variety as I unlock new moves, or am I supposed to use weapons way more because they gave me three slots? Also, can I repair weapons? Also also, are any of the nearby friend heat moves worth getting ASAP?

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Kojiro posted:

Gotta say I'm on Majima's section of Dead Souls and he is playing Weekend at Bernies with a yakuza patriarch in order to complete a drug deal and at this point I cannot fathom disliking this game?

I guess after 5 I should try out Dead Souls.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God loving drat the ending to 0 is long. If I'd known I'd be awake waiting for the unskippable credits to end three hours after starting the final encounter I'd have set some time aside for it.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

stev posted:

God loving drat the ending to 0 is long. If I'd known I'd be awake waiting for the unskippable credits to end three hours after starting the final encounter I'd have set some time aside for it.

all the games take leagues to loving end and usually the ending hypes me up to play another yakuza game lol

Wolfsheim posted:

I would love to be proven wrong! I just made it to the cabaret club and met an old friend so I'm not that far in yet.

I will say while at first I was properly dazzled by the new engine and the ability to both walk into stores and throw street thugs into them I feel like the combat is a little too floaty compared to Y0/K1, and going from four different distinct style to a very pared down version of the dragon style was a little underwhelming. Does it give more variety as I unlock new moves, or am I supposed to use weapons way more because they gave me three slots? Also, can I repair weapons? Also also, are any of the nearby friend heat moves worth getting ASAP?
you adapt to the floatiness a bit. i was abusing throws heavily for that reason until i was able to feel like i had an actual handle on kiryu. not that i ever got fantastic at it though. all those questions will be answered in time where i think you'll still end up happy. use weapons

anywhere near enemy spawns is good for friend heat moves. i mostly ended up doing the sotenbori bridge one a lot when I wasn't throwing people into the river otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of the friend heat moves really matter. they are only for random battles in the city, and for those you never lack for traffic cones and such. it's just for fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I may have been a little down about the start of Yakuza 5 since it starts so slow with sad dad Kiryu, but goddamn the end of Kiryu's part sold me on this game.

Also lol at Kiryu dodging goddamn RPGs

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

all the games take leagues to loving end and usually the ending hypes me up to play another yakuza game lol

It definitely had that effect on me since I booted up Kiwami first thing this morning.

40 hours and 27% completion though, 0? :suicide:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

stev posted:

It definitely had that effect on me since I booted up Kiwami first thing this morning.

40 hours and 27% completion though, 0? :suicide:

incredible how by the end of the games, I've squeezed every bit of enjoyment i can out of the game for then and feel like i kinda want to get it over with. then, somehow, jumping right back into another yakuza game feels great right off the bat. im excited to do a bunch of stuff i just got tired of but am no longer tired of as of 2 hours previous back when kiryu and a bunch of other dudes ripped their jackets and shirts off

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

I guess after 5 I should try out Dead Souls.

For me it worked best after 6, which is a kinda sad game overall- intentionally so, but still- and Dead Souls has been a big dumb blast which worked to counter the bits of 6 I didn't care for much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kojiro posted:

So what's the usual gameplay loop like?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

incredible how by the end of the games, I've squeezed every bit of enjoyment i can out of the game for then and feel like i kinda want to get it over with. then, somehow, jumping right back into another yakuza game feels great right off the bat. im excited to do a bunch of stuff i just got tired of but am no longer tired of as of 2 hours previous back when kiryu and a bunch of other dudes ripped their jackets and shirts off
With every single one of these games once I finished one I thought "phew, what a great 80 hours, but I'm tapped out for Yakuza now" and then the only thing that ever kept me from immediately jumping deep into the next one was if it wasn't physically available to me.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

MorningMoon posted:

So what's the usual gameplay loop like?

Oh the shooting is godawful, the lockon especially, but just set it to easy and you blow through the zombies like they're nothing- less so with Akiyama's pistols, but Majima can clear a room with a shotgun like no-one's business, and I just started playing Ryuji, whose gatling gun is just a hose of bullets you vaguely wave at zombies to make them dead. You only have to reckon with that in the actual zombie quarantine zones, and outside of those it's essentially Y4 with all of its minigames, no hand to hand fighting, a very pared down but goofy-fun plot, with chains of character-specific substories that take you in and out of the quarantine zones.

Basically it's worth it if you're a fan of the characters and the Yakuza sense of humour, and would like to see Goro Majima's Extremely Good Real Fun Day or watch Daigo attempt to have a very serious zoom meeting with the Omi to accuse them of creating zombies.
Not worth it if you're there for zombie horror, compelling gameplay or mechanical reasons.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 29, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kojiro posted:

Oh the shooting is godawful, the lockon especially, but just set it to easy and you blow through the zombies like they're nothing- less so with Akiyama's pistols, but Majima can clear a room with a shotgun like no-one's business, and I just started playing Ryuji, whose gatling gun is just a hose of bullets you vaguely wave at zombies to make them dead. You only have to reckon with that in the actual zombie quarantine zones, and outside of those it's essentially Y4 with all of its minigames, no hand to hand fighting, a very pared down but goofy-fun plot, with chains of character-specific substories that take you in and out of the quarantine zones.

Basically it's worth it if you're a fan of the characters and the Yakuza sense of humour, and would like to see Goro Majima's Extremely Good Real Fun Day or watch Daigo attempt to have a very serious zoom meeting with the Omi to accuse them of creating zombies.
Not worth it if you're there for zombie horror, compelling gameplay or mechanical reasons.

The trick with Akiyama is that when you first lock onto a zombie he immediately aims for the head and then the aim drifts towards their center of mass. So you tap fire immediately after tapping the lock on button, but don't stay locked onto anything for too long. If you get used to that you get perfect head shots on everything and drop stuff super fast.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Except when the lock on decides it really wants to aim at a mote of dust or a really interesting wall, sure

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the combat system really, really doesn't handle enemies that come at you from behind well. unfortunately, it is a zombie game where you fight large swarms that spawn almost endlessly. so, get used to your best friend, a wall.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As a PC player with no unfinished Yakuza games to play until November, are there any good alternatives besides Shenmue? All I want to do with my life is play Yakuza

Also, The Way of the Househusband appears to be almost Kiryu manga, which sounds cool?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not, really. he isn't very similar to kiryu at all.

it's still an excellent and funny manga, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
There's some overlap to be sure. If not Kiryu, then certainly someone he'd have known and probably gotten along with (that is to say, they'd have a shirtless fight and then be allies)

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i just finished Yakuza 0 over the last week and hot drat it's so sick, everyone around me is going to get sick of listening to me talk about the mighty exploits of Kiryu, Pocket Racer Extraordinaire.

i didn't finish a lot of the side stuff because around when i was planning on catching up on it, the game hit a point where it swings like 5 plot twists at you within like 5 minutes and i couldn't stop myself driving the main plot forward. if you owned both 0 and Kiwami, would you recommend that i go back for any particular completion percentage in 0, or just move on to Kiwami so i can see what happens to Kiryu?

the only thing that got me with the ending; did Kiryu specifically join back under Dojima proper? it seemed that way because Nishi tells him to come to the Kazuma family, which would make sense to me because Dojima just spend the last 40 hours almost wrecking the Yakuza presence Kamurocho and also trying to kill and frame Kiryu. am i correct in assuming that the only reason Kiryu joins under Dojima specifically is because that's where he is come Kiwami?

also why is Dojima still even in charge of a family? Kuze lost a finger for expelling Kiryu, but Dojima gets to stay in charge after losing almost all his lieutenants, potentially starting a coup against the Tojo and almost losing control of the city to a civilian real estate agency?

also, is the Omi Alliance a completely separate entity from the Tojo Clan? i'm assuming it is, but just wanted to make sure.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yeah, Omi Alliance is a rival family and the only other one as powerful as the Tojo Clan. You're going to be seeing a lot of them as you play the series.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kiwami is good but not nearly as good as 0 and a lot of the side stuff is recycled from 0. get your fill of the side activities in 0 and play kiwami for the story imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dojima kept his position, but lost all his power. he ended up as a figurehead, which is why he had time to indulge in his hobby of abducting and raping random women (which kiryu was aware of and never stopped).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mister No posted:

i just finished Yakuza 0 over the last week and hot drat it's so sick, everyone around me is going to get sick of listening to me talk about the mighty exploits of Kiryu, Pocket Racer Extraordinaire.

i didn't finish a lot of the side stuff because around when i was planning on catching up on it, the game hit a point where it swings like 5 plot twists at you within like 5 minutes and i couldn't stop myself driving the main plot forward. if you owned both 0 and Kiwami, would you recommend that i go back for any particular completion percentage in 0, or just move on to Kiwami so i can see what happens to Kiryu?

the only thing that got me with the ending; did Kiryu specifically join back under Dojima proper? it seemed that way because Nishi tells him to come to the Kazuma family, which would make sense to me because Dojima just spend the last 40 hours almost wrecking the Yakuza presence Kamurocho and also trying to kill and frame Kiryu. am i correct in assuming that the only reason Kiryu joins under Dojima specifically is because that's where he is come Kiwami?

also why is Dojima still even in charge of a family? Kuze lost a finger for expelling Kiryu, but Dojima gets to stay in charge after losing almost all his lieutenants, potentially starting a coup against the Tojo and almost losing control of the city to a civilian real estate agency?

also, is the Omi Alliance a completely separate entity from the Tojo Clan? i'm assuming it is, but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah I finished 0 last night, having not played any of the others. It definitely felt like they were desperately trying to get Kiryu and Majima into the positions they're in at the start of Y1 in the last 10 minutes of the game. Majima in particular felt like complete whiplash, especially since I'm not familiar with the batshit crazy version of the character. Like he basically looks into the camera and says 'having experienced heartbreak I will now become the Joker, this is my origin story'. Kiryu has no justification whatsoever for going back to the Dojima family and doesn't even try to think of a good reason to do so.

e: Holy poo poo Kiwami has autosaving and saving wherever you want? That's innovation right there.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I took the ending of 0 to be that while the Dojima family was basically neutered into doing guard duty for the Kazama family, they still wanted someone who would be unflinchingly loyal to Kazama working on the inside to prevent them from scheming again. I think that's what it implies that meeting between Kiryu and Kazama in jail is near the end?

Speaking of 0 I just got to the bit in Kiwami 2 where you first encounter Majima and liked that Majima basically took the lesson of the empty lot saga and Kiryu's 80s business dealings and jumped into property development himself, so they've essentially flipped and Kiryu is now a Sotenbori cabaret czar and Majima is a Kamurocho real estate guru. :allears:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Play as many of the side stories in 0 as you can handle. I tapped out on some of the telephone club ones but it has the best all around wacky side story collection of any of the games, by far. K2 has a few that are incredible but not nearly as many really good ones

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rt4 posted:

As a PC player with no unfinished Yakuza games to play until November, are there any good alternatives besides Shenmue? All I want to do with my life is play Yakuza

Also, The Way of the Househusband appears to be almost Kiryu manga, which sounds cool?

Check out Sleeping Dogs for sure if you like Asian crime cinema. It's basically HongKongGangWarSimulator.exe and rules. Plus it's not Yakuza but you still get to absolutely beat people the gently caress down in it.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

stev posted:

Yeah I finished 0 last night, having not played any of the others. It definitely felt like they were desperately trying to get Kiryu and Majima into the positions they're in at the start of Y1 in the last 10 minutes of the game. Majima in particular felt like complete whiplash, especially since I'm not familiar with the batshit crazy version of the character. Like he basically looks into the camera and says 'having experienced heartbreak I will now become the Joker, this is my origin story'. Kiryu has no justification whatsoever for going back to the Dojima family and doesn't even try to think of a good reason to do so.

e: Holy poo poo Kiwami has autosaving and saving wherever you want? That's innovation right there.

Majima: ok, so, my take on wacky Majima is that he didn't actually go crazy or anything like that, PTSD or whatever. I don't really think we saw much of his *real* personality at all in the game, save maybe towards the end when he decides to go declare war on Dojima. the "calm collected, water off a duck's back" Majima was just a coping method to deal with the guilt over his brother and his lack of freedom, just as much as "nothing actually matters, let's get weird" Majima is to deal with the things he learned throughout 0 from the people he involves himself with.

with Lee he saw that trying to protect others gets you killed, with Nishi he sees that living for yourself gets you killed, and with Sagawa pure ambition can't even save you. (I figured the point of him saying that Sagawa was invincible right before Sagawa gets offed was too hammer in *something* but I'm not sure how on the mark I am.) ultimately though, I think the lessons learned is, "it doesn't matter what you do, caring about anything will get you killed" .

I think the main difference between Majima and Kiryu in 0, is that Kiryu has "positive" forces in his life that keep his worldview in perspective. Majima doesn't have a brother he can go hang out with, or a father figure working to keep him safe.

I'm gonna go ahead and get deeper into Kiwami because I'm not sure how much Majima plays into the later games, but I have a feeling eventually there will be something like the Makoto situation that hits him hard enough that the mask will drop again.

anyhow thanks for coming to my Ted talk about my poor analysis of a goofy anime game guy.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Check out Sleeping Dogs for sure if you like Asian crime cinema. It's basically HongKongGangWarSimulator.exe and rules. Plus it's not Yakuza but you still get to absolutely beat people the gently caress down in it.

I played the poo poo out of this already. Anyone itt should also play Sleeping Dogs if they haven't yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s really nothing else on the market like Yakuza, which is what makes it so special.