Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nosfereefer posted:

otoh, quests will routinely throw thousands of units of plasteel at you

god i wish i could get one then >:C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That long range mineral scanner plus a quick transport ship will net thousands in a few minutes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what is this transport ship kimosabe

(that said, i never remember that the long range scanner exists, good call. i will have to do that next time i'm in-game, i can always just pod a team over and back.)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I keep two nerds on two scanners at all times and then I send out a strip mining assault team and they return with 1100 components.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Katt posted:

I keep two nerds on two scanners at all times and then I send out a strip mining assault team and they return with 1100 components.

I've not played rimworld since well caravan release? And it was a buggy mess then. How does all this stuff work?

Do you have to control both sides? What happens back at home base?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I've not played rimworld since well caravan release? And it was a buggy mess then. How does all this stuff work?

Do you have to control both sides? What happens back at home base?

Both maps operate in parallel at the same time. Including events etc.

Running 2 colonies at the same time can get a bit messy.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Coolguye posted:

god i wish i could get one then >:C

rule nr 1 about quest rewards is that you don't get what you need at any given time

e: ama about getting millions of uranium until i actually needed uranium. loads of health serums tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hopefully people loving stay on task with the long range scanner better. My entire issue with the deep scanner is that pawns Will. Not. DO IT. Priority 1 research, no research selected, prioritize command, work time slot, it literally does not loving matter. They will not stay on task long enough to find the goddamned minerals.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

otoh, quests will routinely throw thousands of units of plasteel at you

This is true, if you are lucky.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Coolguye posted:

Hopefully people loving stay on task with the long range scanner better. My entire issue with the deep scanner is that pawns Will. Not. DO IT. Priority 1 research, no research selected, prioritize command, work time slot, it literally does not loving matter. They will not stay on task long enough to find the goddamned minerals.
Assign them to mining job (possibly in a zone that doesn't include actual mining work other than using the scanner)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Assign them to mining job (possibly in a zone that doesn't include actual mining work other than using the scanner)

has nothing to do with it, if you attempt to assign the pawn to the job without being set to Research, it will complain that that the pawn cannot prioritize because they are not assigned to researching. this suggestion came up last time i complained about this and after a ton of loving around i see no evidence whatsoever that the mining job has anything to do with scanning at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I definitely had some scientists scanning full time without mining active, I'd realize I forgot to assign a research project because someone was actually USING the scanner for once. :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ShadowHawk posted:

code:
<WorkGiverDef>
    <defName>GroundPenetratingScan</defName>
    <label>operate ground penetrating scanner</label>
    <giverClass>WorkGiver_OperateScanner</giverClass>
    <workType>Research</workType>
    <priorityInType>50</priorityInType>
    <verb>scan</verb>
    <gerund>scanning at</gerund>
    <scannerDef>GroundPenetratingScanner</scannerDef>
    <requiredCapacities>
      <li>Manipulation</li>
    </requiredCapacities>
  </WorkGiverDef>

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Coolguye posted:

Turn off power to your research bench. Disable all work priorities except research. If your pawn STILL won't use the scanner, something is broken in your save file.

I've had no trouble controlling whether my pawn researches or scans by switching power on/off to each

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Work Tab might break researching down so you can prioritize scanning over researching. I got kinda sucked into XCOM and wurm online lately so I havent tried it

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Am I mistaken or didn't there used to be a way to play on the same generated world map, a la DF? Is it hidden somewhere or did that get removed completely?

I left a colony running when I had to do something and forgot about it and the dead colony pop up talks about "maybe someone else can use this in the future", and I just wanted to see how that worked.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Synnr posted:

Am I mistaken or didn't there used to be a way to play on the same generated world map, a la DF? Is it hidden somewhere or did that get removed completely?

I left a colony running when I had to do something and forgot about it and the dead colony pop up talks about "maybe someone else can use this in the future", and I just wanted to see how that worked.

its the seed when you generate a world

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Synnr posted:

If you have the Real Ruins mod then save the game and it'll upload your map. Otherwise, no, it doesn't stick around or exist when the world is regenerated.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synnr posted:

the same generated world map, yes. the same mutated world map, not to my knowledge.

the same generated world map is the seed when you generate the map. it's typically a randomly chosen word like 'diligent' or 'dongwater' or whatever.

the mutated world map after you have played a game on it i don't believe you can restart on though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You can defacto restart by simply waiting after your colony is dead for some random dude to wander in then immediately making a caravan and going to a new site couldn't you?

Note I've never actually done this but I think it should work. If no one turns up you might be able to use the dev console to spawn someone in.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

You can defacto restart by simply waiting after your colony is dead for some random dude to wander in then immediately making a caravan and going to a new site couldn't you?

Note I've never actually done this but I think it should work. If no one turns up you might be able to use the dev console to spawn someone in.

You can do either or both of those things, though since the colony was presumably lost with more than one colonist to defend it respawning may be a rough ride.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
when using the anime Androids mod I had a raid/sickness wipe out all my colonists while an android was in the printer, and she popped out just as the last person died. Had I built her to have skill in construction or shooting/melee she might have survived, but I made a doctor bot instead :/

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Complications posted:

You can do either or both of those things, though since the colony was presumably lost with more than one colonist to defend it respawning may be a rough ride.

That’s why I was suggesting immediately caravaning out to start anew, yeah.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 31, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If you’re going to abandon your old base you may as well just regenerate the world and start with a new group, no? If you don’t want to lose your research you can just use the dev tools to give yourself the research you had before, but if you’re losing your colonists and your base I struggle to think what besides your research you’re even keeping.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm assuming what he was wanting was that feeling of continuity you get in DF by having multiple forts in the same world. Otherwise, yeah you're quite right just start again.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can someone explain again, as if to a slow child, how to play OldRim so that, at least, Psychology, Prepare Carefully and Androids work?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Tias posted:

Can someone explain again, as if to a slow child, how to play OldRim so that, at least, Psychology, Prepare Carefully and Androids work?

What is OldRim? The only hits I get on google are about the old edition of Skyrim.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
cool cool cool

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah I just wanted to see how it looked to find abandoned colonies but I guess it's not a thing. You could explore your own abandoned forts in DF and such.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Synnr posted:

Yeah I just wanted to see how it looked to find abandoned colonies but I guess it's not a thing. You could explore your own abandoned forts in DF and such.

pretty sure there's a mod for that(tm)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Largejaroalmonds posted:

What is OldRim? The only hits I get on google are about the old edition of Skyrim.

Everybody’s been talking about spaceships, maybe a question about nonSOS2 RW?

But those mods all play well together, so I am unsure what issue there is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think its specifically asking about doing a 1.0 install instead of 1.1.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Synnr posted:

I'm running a mod Real Ruins which adds in ruined versions of buildings from other people's games, though usually not whole complexes. But it's still pretty cool and occasionally very useful, basically this game's version of Dark Souls ghosts with bonus loot scavenging on top

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fire it up my guy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

light up the night starts playing on the radio

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Synnr posted:

Try Rimcities

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tias posted:

If you mean an old version of the game and you have Steam:

Go to the library. Scroll down to Rimworld's entry. Right click Rimworld, click properties. Click Betas. On "Select the beta you would like to opt into" pick the version you want to play.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

jokes posted:

Fire it up my guy.

How? If I try to molotov into it they all just rush my guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dig a tunnel entrance, and build like, half a dozen doors in it (spaced out, not directly adjacent as that slows pawns down I think). Set them all to hold open.

Then run in, lob a firebomb in there where there's something to burn and ideally catch the nest on fire, an incendiary launcher can be a good help for this. Then run out through the tunnel with the doors and set them all to close again, as your pawn runs through they should close them all behind them and the bugs will have to smash through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Do NOT, however, when mixing melee and ranged, give one of the ranged pawns a grenade launcher. And that's why I still save scum.