Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PittTheElder posted:

Can you try oppressing the humans instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JABvRWBIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Schadenboner posted:

I'm trying out Surviving Mars. It seems p.deece but (barring late-game content I haven't found as of press time) I'm concerned by the lack of opportunities to suffer not the xeno to live?
:shrug:

There are no xenos outside the couple mysteries, but even with those it's questionable if they're actually alive or just autonomous machines.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Arguably earth-born colonists are xenos

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Biggest issue with Surviving mars for me was that once you reach a certain point, all there's left to do is micro colonists/domes, and the interface for that is really really annoying to use.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Biggest issue with Surviving mars for me was that once you reach a certain point, all there's left to do is micro colonists/domes, and the interface for that is really really annoying to use.

Agreed, also even though there's multiple factions/corporations you can start a game as to get a different kind of start, I felt like after one playthrough I had exhausted all the gameplay and lacked any drive to start another one.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Finally finished my first run through a few days ago - the actual crisis ended up feeling quite underwhelming in the end but that’s what I get for playing on easy. I got the Prethoryn - I was expecting the other species they were supposedly fleeing from to show up in the final act, but in the end it was just those two waves that my fleets killed in a single engagement.

I decided to go kick over the awakened fallen empire just because I was getting bored - they have a few buildings/ megastructures that were much more effective than anything I’d researched - are those exclusive to fallen empires?

The actual end of the game was completely underwhelming though - I was expecting a fanfare or something but it was just a pop up window saying “hey, you win I guess”.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DoctorTristan posted:

Finally finished my first run through a few days ago - the actual crisis ended up feeling quite underwhelming in the end but that’s what I get for playing on easy. I got the Prethoryn - I was expecting the other species they were supposedly fleeing from to show up in the final act, but in the end it was just those two waves that my fleets killed in a single engagement.

I decided to go kick over the awakened fallen empire just because I was getting bored - they have a few buildings/ megastructures that were much more effective than anything I’d researched - are those exclusive to fallen empires?

The actual end of the game was completely underwhelming though - I was expecting a fanfare or something but it was just a pop up window saying “hey, you win I guess”.

It's sort of like the end of Tropico games other than the first one? In the first one you get a cheering crowd (or you in a row boat escaping the island if you have a less-than-successful retirement) and your advisor delivering a (pre-scripted but fairly specific) speech about the regime you ran, in later ones it's just the dossier.

It's like: thanks you guys.

:sigh:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If you synth ascend should you keep any bio pops around?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kraftwerk posted:

It’s more growth speed. Ideally you want to search around for a species with good traits you can mod around since you won’t have full biological engineering.

I think you take a growth speed penalty but it’s still more growth and gives you more pops to mod around for specialization if you’re into that.

In MP you can also do funny things like have multiple players with different ascension types trade pops around to create superspecies that are erudite cyborg psionics.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

There's no harm in it, just make sure they're not being assimilated.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I usually just assimilate everyone so I only have to deal with having two pop types - biologicals I turned into robots, and the robots I built before I could turn biologicals into robots.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gort posted:

I usually just assimilate everyone so I only have to deal with having two pop types - biologicals I turned into robots, and the robots I built before I could turn biologicals into robots.

The fact that you cannot assimilate robots is bullshit!!!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
That reminds me - I genetically modified my whole species a few times but it didn’t always work completely. I’d apply a template to the whole species, but every few years I’d find a few pops appear without those modifications. What can cause this? Is it because they emigrated before the modification then returned after it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DoctorTristan posted:

That reminds me - I genetically modified my whole species a few times but it didn’t always work completely. I’d apply a template to the whole species, but every few years I’d find a few pops appear without those modifications. What can cause this? Is it because they emigrated before the modification then returned after it?

Usually it's because you had a colony developing while the species mod was being done. When a colony is 'ready' it spawns a pop of the type that was used to build the colony ship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

I've seen a couple of reasons. Like you made a colony ship with some pre-modification pops in it, then you modified the species - the guys in the ship don't get modified, then they colonise the planet.

Or you had a migration treaty, a bunch of your pre-modification pops migrated to the other empire, then post-modification some pre-modification pops migrated back again.

All you can really do is be careful with colony ships and migration treaties around the modification time, or be prepared to re-mod your pops every so often.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's also possible that you have an unwanted template selected for the species that's growing on the planets.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Thanks, I guess I’ll just keep periodically eugenics-ing my pops then.

I also ended up with some pops who were both cybernetic and psionic - was that due to my robot uprising or something else? (I went for the psionic ascension, never deliberately did anything cybernetic AFAIK).

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

DoctorTristan posted:

I also ended up with some pops who were both cybernetic and psionic - was that due to my robot uprising

That can definitely do it, if the uprising was a Driven Assimilators empire. Finding psionic pops as Driven Assimilators is always great, including the 6-planet tomb world cluster inhabited by the Ketlings (Silent Colony, Decayed Hub, et al.).

Or, as Gort mentioned, migration treaties can cause this -- if a psionic pop migrates to an empire which assimilates biological pops to add the cybernetic trait, it that new species variant might make its way back to your empire sooner or later.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lysidas posted:

the 6-planet tomb world cluster inhabited by the Ketlings (Silent Colony, Decayed Hub, et al.).

Is this part of A Bigger Thing?

Never mind, I knew about this one, just haven't seen it in a while.

Found a Unique Systems Guaranteed mod so I'll probably get to more now, though?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 29, 2020

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Got it, thanks. Guess I have them to thank for my Psionic cybernetic manic physicist with his AI assistant - he was giving something like +240% to my research.

Is it ever worth deliberately provoking a robot uprising for min-maxing reasons?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Is this part of A Bigger Thing?

It's a bunch of the unique systems - this one

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorTristan posted:

Got it, thanks. Guess I have them to thank for my Psionic cybernetic manic physicist with his AI assistant - he was giving something like +240% to my research.

Is it ever worth deliberately provoking a robot uprising for min-maxing reasons?

A robot uprising in your own nation? No, it can roll as robots with no unique civic or as determined exterminators and it results in a strong player spawning who will go to war with you and take your poo poo.

I don’t think there’s a way to provoke it in another player’s borders unfortunately, although that would be very funny.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

A robot uprising in your own nation? No, it can roll as robots with no unique civic or as determined exterminators and it results in a strong player spawning who will go to war with you and take your poo poo.

I don’t think there’s a way to provoke it in another player’s borders unfortunately, although that would be very funny.

I figured that was probably the case - just seemed a bit of a waste of the whole mechanic since it’s so easily avoided and most players will only ever trigger it once.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorTristan posted:

I figured that was probably the case - just seemed a bit of a waste of the whole mechanic since it’s so easily avoided and most players will only ever trigger it once.

stellaris.txt

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

At least the AI sometimes triggers it on its own. Seeing some dumbass space fascists being eaten by an assimilator rising up against them is some dark comedy

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It was funny assessing the the damages after putting one down “poo poo that’s a lot of red, how’d they gently caress up these systems that badly already?”

Nope, turns out I just got a few hundred extra synth pops to assimilate.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone having trouble uplifting species? I got the tomb world rats, humans, and some other cave dwellers all in my borders with the Uplift technology researched, but I don't see any of them in my species panel nor an option to uplift them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

And Tyler Too! posted:

Anyone having trouble uplifting species? I got the tomb world rats, humans, and some other cave dwellers all in my borders with the Uplift technology researched, but I don't see any of them in my species panel nor an option to uplift them.
Uplift is for presapients, not primitives. Presapients will show up on random habitable planets, while primitives are the sorts of worlds where you build an observation post over.

Whenever you find presapients and have uplift researched, it will notify you there are species you can uplift if you don't have the alert disabled.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Uplift is for presapients, not primitives. Presapients will show up on random habitable planets, while primitives are the sorts of worlds where you build an observation post over.

Whenever you find presapients and have uplift researched, it will notify you there are species you can uplift if you don't have the alert disabled.

Ugh that's so dumb. Waiting for a species to actually develop into the space age takes centuries, and invading them gives 10+ years of culture shock if you're not purging.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Personally I really hope a future expansion revamps the entire system of interaction with primitives, the options right now just feel like a rough draft.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

And Tyler Too! posted:

Ugh that's so dumb. Waiting for a species to actually develop into the space age takes centuries, and invading them gives 10+ years of culture shock if you're not purging.

Check your observation posts - you can enlighten species using them, or even integrate them into your empire with the right genetics technology (you're literally the reptilians from conspiracy theories at that point, it's pretty funny).

That all being said, I just invade them if I have an empire that is capable of it. The culture shock isn't even part of the pops if I remember correctly; you can resettle them elsewhere and they're perfectly content and productive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, culture shock is a planet modifier. You can totally resettle the pops elsewhere and they'll be suddenly OK with everything. Yes, it's dumb.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Ugh, stupid aliens just get it over with and invade Earth. I'd take 10 years of culture shock and living in an advanced civilization over this.

*Aliens invade*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh, stupid aliens just get it over with and invade Earth. I'd take 10 years of culture shock and living in an advanced civilization over this.

*Aliens invade*

I still look fondly on my first hive mind game. I was playing with the species portrait that is the super cute butterfly people and Sol was in my little starting area as a medieval society. I conquered them and turned humans into livestock. It was delightfully hosed up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I should try playing Barbaric Despoilers again. I miss having thrall worlds full of livestock.

:sigh:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I still look fondly on my first hive mind game. I was playing with the species portrait that is the super cute butterfly people and Sol was in my little starting area as a medieval society. I conquered them and turned humans into livestock. It was delightfully hosed up.

Livestock would have been much better for that joke. I just didn't have an empire on hand to make the picture.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Zurai posted:

Yeah, culture shock is a planet modifier. You can totally resettle the pops elsewhere and they'll be suddenly OK with everything. Yes, it's dumb.

Yup. Just played a game with warmongering space chimpanzees (continental) with a ton of dry worlds in the area. Also primitive, highly adaptive mushroom people living on an arid world.

We went apeshit on them and then sent them to found new colonies immediately.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Or just be machine intelligence robots and purge the galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dirk the Average posted:

Check your observation posts - you can enlighten species using them, or even integrate them into your empire with the right genetics technology (you're literally the reptilians from conspiracy theories at that point, it's pretty funny).

There's also a small chance of one of your dudes going Avatar on you.

You then get to demonstrate how that movie should have ended.