Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

How does this look for a deal? There’s a $15 coupon code as well: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1457-KR

Seems to be fairly new, can’t find much info or benchmarks.

EDIT: Oh man I didn't realize EVGA did scratch-and-ding sales. Browsing that selection now.
Goddamn you for letting me see this man. I found a nice card for $150 but the RTX is looking right at me and all I can say is "it's not mature tech yet, it's not worth $250"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tuyop posted:

Just like, be careful not to get it on the pins. A little dab on the corner of the connector should do!

Or maybe zip ties depending on how the plugs interface.

The terrible interface is the problem. Basically the fans have really lovely 3 pin connectors that I guess in fairness aren't supposed to plug into anything but a motherboard. The closest I got to success was twist-tying the ends of all the fan connectors together, the ends of the daisy chain cable together, and connecting them. They would stay out of the case like this, but usually the process of moving them into the case and closing the case would cause one to fall out.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone have recommendations on a list for video editing? It's not a question I see come up often. I've looked at all the completed builds available and while some are powerful and would serve well for playing games, I need something thats just as capable of editing footage. That's my real focus. Gaming would be cool to have footage to edit, but i'm looking more at learning more about video editing since it's always been an interest of mine and now i'm in an industry where I can get my foot in the door.

No, not looking to stream or be a Youtube content creator. Most of the footage i'd edit would be live action of my own recording with the opportunity to make some gameplay vids as well.

I've looked into just buying a prebuilt from a company but i'd like to learn more about the hardware, be able to upgrade in the future and to save a little money. I'm free to spend anywhere from 3-5k. Not looking to do 4k yet though, so i'm thinking 3k is more reasonable and to save the 2k for a build 2 years from now, or for upgrades.

Anyone got any experience with a build for that? I like AMD. I need lots of RAM and I want like 2gb of storage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a list for video editing? It's not a question I see come up often. I've looked at all the completed builds available and while some are powerful and would serve well for playing games, I need something thats just as capable of editing footage. That's my real focus. Gaming would be cool to have footage to edit, but i'm looking more at learning more about video editing since it's always been an interest of mine and now i'm in an industry where I can get my foot in the door.

No, not looking to stream or be a Youtube content creator. Most of the footage i'd edit would be live action of my own recording with the opportunity to make some gameplay vids as well.

I've looked into just buying a prebuilt from a company but i'd like to learn more about the hardware, be able to upgrade in the future and to save a little money. I'm free to spend anywhere from 3-5k. Not looking to do 4k yet though, so i'm thinking 3k is more reasonable and to save the 2k for a build 2 years from now, or for upgrades.

Anyone got any experience with a build for that? I like AMD. I need lots of RAM and I want like 2gb of storage.

Get DaVinci Resolve and never look back. Is free. Closer to Final Cut Pro/old iMovie than Premiere.

Edit: oops, kind of wrong thread but still.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Get DaVinci Resolve and never look back. Is free. Closer to Final Cut Pro/old iMovie than Premiere.

Edit: oops, kind of wrong thread but still.

All good. I appreciate any advice. I'm basically self teaching myself via skillshare and trial/error.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ShowTime posted:

All good. I appreciate any advice. I'm basically self teaching myself via skillshare and trial/error.

If you're working with the Adobe suite / DaVinci Resolve / other pro graphics/rendering software Puget Systems publishes detailed benchmarks for them specifically. They'll sell you a system too, if you've got the dosh.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ShowTime posted:

This post falls under "not exactly what you're looking for but maybe some place to help in case no one here builds video editing machines."

https://www.videoproc.com/edit-4k-video/hardware-for-4k-video-editing.htm -- 4k, but it gives you an idea of what popular software needs to run

https://3dinsider.com/cpu-video-editing/ - helpful advice about why you should choose one CPU over another. Focusing on your CPU is really the important part, unless you have an amazing video card and an editor that supports using it.

Also if you're interested in a CPU that's been put out in the past three years, there's a good chance that you can search "Gamers Nexus" and the name of the CPU and they will have a breakdown video on what the CPU's strength and weaknesses are, and they almost always reference video editing.

E: Just on a personal note, for light video editing, I'm able to do pretty much everything I need on a 7 year old Macbook pro, which I just say to point out you don't have to make yourself poor to edit video (although, of course, when I bought it, that \was indeed a making myself poor decision)

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 29, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Some Goon posted:

If you're working with the Adobe suite / DaVinci Resolve / other pro graphics/rendering software Puget Systems publishes detailed benchmarks for them specifically. They'll sell you a system too, if you've got the dosh.

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks!

Edit: Going off one of their lists, this is what i've got so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9CrtzN

Basically just a copy of this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...301,19992,12393

Some of the stuff they had listed weren't available. Still need to fill out a case and other things. Would love a good rec for the filler. The parts so far are about $2,500 and theirs is $3,400. Might be worthwhile to just buy from them to get a warranty, get someone else to assemble it and all the other filler.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 30, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Edit: Going off one of their lists, this is what i've got so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9CrtzN

Basically just a copy of this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...301,19992,12393

Some of the stuff they had listed weren't available. Still need to fill out a case and other things. Would love a good rec for the filler. The parts so far are about $2,500 and theirs is $3,400. Might be worthwhile to just buy from them to get a warranty, get someone else to assemble it and all the other filler.

For learning, check if your local library has Lynda.com access. Their tutorials have been top notch for me for Ableton, Illustrator, excel skills, even automation in Sharepoint.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Some Goon posted:

It can be finickier, but if its working fine I don't think there's any downsides, besides not having room to upgrade further.

sweet, thanks.

ShowTime posted:

i came into this thread for essentially the same reason. but if you're needing a PC to learn video editing, isn't spending 3-5k really overkill? i got a ~$500 pre-built that is handling adobe premiere (as well as multiple other programs up simultaneously) without any issues whatsoever. obviously you don't need anything as cheap as mine, but even for $500, you could build one that's significantly faster and more capable than my own

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 30, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ShowTime posted:

My dude this is complete overkill in my opinion. The value of money is relative and there's plenty of people with ridiculous trust funds, etc. but for learning you do not need high-end hardware and some of this looks like just poor choices, like a $400 PSU, what? Also why Intel?

Keep in mind that mostly what you need is a machine to keep things running smoothly while you're doing editing, and you're by and large only really flexing your CPU when you need to render tons of footage. If you're a professional and any slight delay translated directly to lost revenue then that's one thing, but if you're still learning 1) it doesn't make you money to be a tiny bit faster, 2) any of the very minor delays due to your machine are literally nothing compared to your own slowness due to inexperience, etc. 3) even if you fall in love with editing and spend literally all your time doing it, by the time you're good at it to the point hardware could be meaningfully impactful there's going to be a new gen of CPUs out and you won't even have the best available.

Seems to me like you're just going all-in and paying a ridiculous premium for top-end hardware that literally doesn't matter.

If I were you I'd grab an X570 MB, 3700X CPU or something around there (even this is arguably overkill; could well go cheaper), and by the time hardware maybe has even a slight meaningful difference on your workflow the new gen AMD CPUs will be out and you can upgrade if you feel seriously dragged down by your rig.

I'm currently messing around editing and processing cycling videos at 4K on a 3700X with 32GB RAM and the only times I even touch maxing CPU and/or RAM are when I'm processing/encoding/rendering.

Prebuilt is generally very overpriced and the warranty service not liable to be very useful for an individual (may well be voided if you even swap out parts, etc as well).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're just getting started editing 1080p, you can do it on a 15w laptop. I have no idea how the puget configurator had you end up with a $3500 machine good lord.

e: oh that's literally their bottom of the line configuration holy overkill. It's also excruciatingly adobe-focused.

e2: a U12S on a 10900K what the hell puget at least put a D15 in that honkin case

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 30, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're just getting started editing 1080p, you can do it on a 15w laptop. I have no idea how the puget configurator had you end up with a $3500 machine good lord.

e: oh that's literally their bottom of the line configuration holy overkill. It's also excruciatingly adobe-focused.

e2: a U12S on a 10900K what the hell puget at least put a D15 in that honkin case

It's for *professionals* doing 4K editing + prebuilt premium + I'm guessing small enterprise level warranty/support?

Then for that price you're still getting 2666 RAM lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's for *professionals* doing 4K editing + prebuilt premium + I'm guessing small enterprise level warranty/support?

Then for that price you're still getting 2666 RAM lol

Yeah it has all the markings of "this machine will run adobe products and adobe products only and sit in a corner and if anything goes wrong you call this number"

Which is great if that's what you need but if that's true you also shouldn't be getting advice from this thread. The sub-par cooling on an overclockable processor is actually just dumb though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ShowTime posted:

EDIT TO ADD: This wasn't meant as an attack on you, just that those Pugeot Systems recommendations are Real Bad and basing your PC build on them is Real Bad. :)

This is both stupidly overpriced and just real dumb on a basic level. Samsung drives are ripoffs and a $400 PSU is just dumb as all gently caress even with current price gouging/shortages. The 10900K is garbage for babies if your focus is actually doing real work and not winning at gaming benchmarks by 5% for double the price. Mixing M.2 and SATA drives to just get 1.5gb is just silly when you could just get a single 2gb SSD. The U12S is too little cooler for that CPU and a $300 motherboard is basically always silly.

Just off the top of my head, this gives you a functionally equal CPU for half the price, better CPU cooler, more storage for the same price on one M.2 drive instead of 2 drives for no reason, and an overkill PSU that's still like $250 less than the one in your build (!!!)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($239.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.26 @ Amazon)
Total: $1348.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 07:59 EDT-0400

e: Hell you could take it down a notch with a 3600, B450 board and smaller PSU and be just as well off.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($154.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($239.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1158.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 08:06 EDT-0400

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 30, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
No, this is all incredibly helpful and the reason I came here. Great advice and things to consider. I'm definitely someone who favors convenience on some things, but at the same time, want to be uncomfortable to learn more. So I don't mind having things to research, learn about and do myself. I'll keep looking at the builds suggested and go with something this weekend.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like there's a decent selection of B550 Micro ATX motherboards? I thought the format would be dead but the ones by MSI look especially good. I think the companies skipped X570 and waited for B550. Too bad the case selection still sucks.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

sean10mm posted:

The 10900K is garbage for babies if your focus is actually doing real work and not winning at gaming benchmarks by 5% for double the price.

And even if you did want/need the extra performance, GamersNexus found that they were able to fairly easily get the 10600k to match the 10900 with some basic overclocking. Saves you like $200 out the gate.

Don't get me wrong, Puget's benchmarks and blog are great, but they're really more for "is there an actual significant difference between AMD and Intel/Nvidia in this specific professional application" and their machines specifically are specced with the assumption that they will be making someone money and need to be running as fast and reliably as possible.

ShowTime posted:

No, this is all incredibly helpful and the reason I came here. Great advice and things to consider. I'm definitely someone who favors convenience on some things, but at the same time, want to be uncomfortable to learn more. So I don't mind having things to research, learn about and do myself. I'll keep looking at the builds suggested and go with something this weekend.
As others have said, if you're editing 1080p then you really don't need much. Even if you're editing 4k it's not that crazy. The big difference comes from rendering time so if you have the money and don't want to wait forever for a finished project to export then getting something like a 3900x or 10900 can make sense but you'll still be good with a 3700x. 32gb ram and a 20XX series GPU are good recommendations too if you're doing 4k or VFX work that needs RAM or vRAM when rendering or can take advantage of Nvidia's new Turing encoder (again, this is an area where Puget has some good blogs that'll tell you if that's the case for your software of choice).

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 30, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

And even if you did want/need the extra performance, GamersNexus found that they were able to fairly easily get the 10600k to match the 10900 with some basic overclocking. Saves you like $200 out the gate.

Don't get me wrong, Puget's benchmarks and blog are great, but they're really more for "is there an actual significant difference between AMD and Intel/Nvidia in this specific professional application" and their machines specifically are specced with the assumption that they will be making someone money and need to be running as fast and reliably as possible.

As others have said, if you're editing 1080p then you really don't need much. Even if you're editing 4k it's not that crazy. The big difference comes from rendering time so if you have the money and don't want to wait forever for a finished project to export then getting something like a 3900x or 10900 can make sense but you'll still be good with a 3700x. 32gb ram and a 20XX series GPU are good recommendations too if you're doing 4k or VFX work that needs RAM or vRAM when rendering or can take advantage of Nvidia's new Turing encoder (again, this is an area where Puget has some good blogs that'll tell you if that's the case for your software of choice).

That's actually why I wanted something on the higher end, rendering. A lot of it. I wanted something that 6x months from now will take care of everything I wanted and deal with me doing trial and error. I kept reading that some differences in hardware can result in a 3x-4x length of time for rendering, so I wanted something capable of doing that at speed. I also do want to record gameplay footage as even just beginner footage to edit. So I want a pc not only capable of rendering footage, but recording footage at max settings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ShowTime posted:

That's actually why I wanted something on the higher end, rendering. A lot of it. I wanted something that 6x months from now will take care of everything I wanted and deal with me doing trial and error. I kept reading that some differences in hardware can result in a 3x-4x length of time for rendering, so I wanted something capable of doing that at speed. I also do want to record gameplay footage as even just beginner footage to edit. So I want a pc not only capable of rendering footage, but recording footage at max settings.

If you really want to go hog wild, the benchmarks I can find say to go to a 3950X, or a newer threadripper if you just don't care about money.

What exactly IS your budget? Phone posting so maybe I just scrolled past it.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My mom came to me asking about upgrading her office PC because "It's old and slow" she some how keeps enough stuff open all the time to have it throttle on ram with 8gb so I guess I should be looking at a system with 16g of ram. She also does not game so I was looking at like https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Hgj48d/budget-homeoffice-build for her. But sometimes I know there are prebuilts that are cheaper than parting it out yourself any changes to that or suggestions?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sean10mm posted:

If you really want to go hog wild, the benchmarks I can find say to go to a 3950X, or a newer threadripper if you just don't care about money.

What exactly IS your budget? Phone posting so maybe I just scrolled past it.

3-5000 USD for a rig and he's not even doing 4K footage

ShowTime posted:

You're not going to be doing a lot of rendering. Rendering is done at the end of your work and unless you're a professional pumping out hours of edited 4K footage and rending it to master-versions for client delivery every day you're not going to be doing a significant amount of rendering which would justify a 3-5000 USD setup.

I have to emphasize again that it's your money, but this is like someone asking for pointers on parallel parking while *insisting* that the can only parallel park properly with a Lamborghini.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fallorn posted:

My mom came to me asking about upgrading her office PC because "It's old and slow" she some how keeps enough stuff open all the time to have it throttle on ram with 8gb so I guess I should be looking at a system with 16g of ram. She also does not game so I was looking at like https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Hgj48d/budget-homeoffice-build for her. But sometimes I know there are prebuilts that are cheaper than parting it out yourself any changes to that or suggestions?

What's in her current computer? Paging will make any computer nigh unusable, so just putting some more ram and an SSD in will probably have it working fine, unless its like a C2D or the like.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

3-5000 USD for a rig and he's not even doing 4K footage

You're not going to be doing a lot of rendering. Rendering is done at the end of your work and unless you're a professional pumping out hours of edited 4K footage and rending it to master-versions for client delivery every day you're not going to be doing a significant amount of rendering which would justify a 3-5000 USD setup.

I have to emphasize again that it's your money, but this is like someone asking for pointers on parallel parking while *insisting* that the can only parallel park properly with a Lamborghini.

3-5k for a setup to "future proof" it as much possible, but I do get why that would be overkill and why I said 3k is closer to my expectation now. I'd rather save the extra 2k for upgrades or another upgrade a year from now. But I don't mind spending 3k for something that will last for awhile or be easily upgrade able.

And i'm not getting upset at the feedback. I genuinely appreciate it. Some of the setups posted are what i've been looking at lately. At this point i'm just taking everything in and looking over it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ShowTime posted:

3-5k for a setup to "future proof" it as much possible, but I do get why that would be overkill and why I said 3k is closer to my expectation now. I'd rather save the extra 2k for upgrades or another upgrade a year from now. But I don't mind spending 3k for something that will last for awhile or be easily upgrade able.

And i'm not getting upset at the feedback. I genuinely appreciate it. Some of the setups posted are what i've been looking at lately. At this point i'm just taking everything in and looking over it.

i am of the opinion that i think you shouldn't bother with the $3k+ rig. i think you could make an absolute beast of a video editing computer with $1,500 like one of the posters above provided. something like that i'd figure would last you AT LEAST five years. then when you decide to upgrade, you can build another one for the same price (or you could theoretically just upgrade a couple of parts if necessary). and remember, that's if you build one for $1,500, which means that an equivalent pre-built PC could be anywhere between $2k- $2.5k.

my own budget was originally $1k, but i managed to find my PC for cheaper and while it's not ideal, i'm handling 1080p video just fine. and like i said above, it's not by any means an optimal set up for the price either.

edit: though i should also point out that i'm a bit biased against buying super expensive equipment unless absolutely necessary. unless you're already a profession editor doing major T.V. or motion picture work, i don't think there's any need to buy those kinds of systems.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 30, 2020

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

ShowTime posted:

I do plenty of 3D rendering in Arnold and also happen to be quite a heavy user of Nuke and Mari.

I replaced my 5820k with a 3950x and it’s been a massive upgrade. Scenes render over four times faster than my old processor and the production applications feel snappier.

If you don’t want to splurge on an expensive Threadripper setup, then I can personally recommend the 3950x. For the applications I use I certainly wouldn’t want to go below a 3900x. The quality of life improvements with 24+ threads are fantastic (e.g. rendering something at my desk in 5 mins versus 20+ minutes).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OK, I decided to go full stupid with this just for fun and still couldn't hit $3k. Guess my tastes are too plebeian lol :haw:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($689.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($286.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($729.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($209.83 @ Amazon)
Total: $2723.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 14:50 EDT-0400

Important notes, even if you want to go XTREME:

Don't actually splurge on a megabux video card now when the RTX 30xx is supposedly around the corner and ~rumored to be~ much better.
Don't actually splurge on a PCIe 4.0 4x M.2 SSD right now, they don't actually do anything yet IRL except do a bit better in synthetic benchmarks. I mean literally don't do this, get an SN750 or 8200 Pro or something. In theory future models of PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD might actually do something more significant with the theoretical bandwidth advantage, but right now it's literally just showing off that you got the new thing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sean10mm posted:

The 10900K is garbage for babies if your focus is actually doing real work and not winning at gaming benchmarks by 5% for double the price.

Except for Adobe products and only Adobe products, they're still terrible at multithreading. Puget assumes a pretty specific software suite that still benefits from intel's single threaded performance, which is pretty short sighted imo but whatever they're still in business.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

sean10mm posted:

OK, I decided to go full stupid with this just for fun and still couldn't hit $3k. Guess my tastes are too plebeian lol :haw:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($689.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($286.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($729.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($209.83 @ Amazon)
Total: $2723.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 14:50 EDT-0400

Important notes, even if you want to go XTREME:

Don't actually splurge on a megabux video card now when the RTX 30xx is supposedly around the corner and ~rumored to be~ much better.
Don't actually splurge on a PCIe 4.0 4x M.2 SSD right now, they don't actually do anything yet IRL except do a bit better in synthetic benchmarks. I mean literally don't do this, get an SN750 or 8200 Pro or something. In theory future models of PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD might actually do something more significant with the theoretical bandwidth advantage, but right now it's literally just showing off that you got the new thing.

Fwiw this is what I built a few months ago for my production setup:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (£683.42 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£79.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (£228.29 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£283.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£124.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case (£116.00 @ Currys PC World)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£135.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1652.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 20:20 BST+0100

I already had a 1080ti and there’s no need to replace that. I also got 64gb of RAM because there’s no such thing as too much RAM in production.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ShowTime posted:

If you want to go bonkers then steam10mm's and Rollie's builds are the way to go. The 3950x is a beast that gives you a crazy amount of performance and doesn't require a ridiculous motherboard like you'd need if you went Threadripper or Intel X series. A single large SSD for the current project your working on, possibly a big ol' HDD for cold storage once a project is done (or just use external drives), and 32 or 64gb RAM if you're fine spending the money. Even with all of that you shouldn't break $3k

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Except for Adobe products and only Adobe products, they're still terrible at multithreading. Puget assumes a pretty specific software suite that still benefits from intel's single threaded performance, which is pretty short sighted imo but whatever they're still in business.

My understanding is the problem with the 10900k is that if you don't care about core count that much, then it competes with much cheaper Intel parts like the 10600K that you can overclock like a nut if you just cool them enough.

You can OC the 10900K too, but the power draw just gets genuinely terrifying. Like over 300 loving watts from what GamersNexus saw. :wtc:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Make up the gap with a 3 year service contract! You could easily charge $8k for that system!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sean10mm posted:

You really need to go the Alienware Area 51 or iMac 10hexacore monster builds to crack the bank

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

xzzy posted:

Make up the gap with a 3 year service contract! You could easily charge $8k for that system!

3d printed gold leaf badge to cover up the Fractal Design logo on the case :homebrew:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Or those falcon northwest Mach V luxury builds with custom painted cases.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any downsides to using all 4 RAM slots? I don't need more than 16 GB (2x8), but if I needed to go 32GB in the future can I just fill in another 2x8 in the remaining two slots or is there some benefit to going 2x16 instead of 4x8?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

PageMaster posted:

Are there any downsides to using all 4 RAM slots? I don't need more than 16 GB (2x8), but if I needed to go 32GB in the future can I just fill in another 2x8 in the remaining two slots or is there some benefit to going 2x16 instead of 4x8?

Running 4 sticks can be finickier, but as far as I'm aware that's about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought that 4 slots was slower than 2 slots, all else being equal. I thought I learned that in this thread, in fact!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I thought that 4 slots was slower than 2 slots, all else being equal. I thought I learned that in this thread, in fact!

This feels like one of those times where there might be a few edge cases where it's a bad idea to fill slots, particularly if the ram is different, but actually 99.99% of the time it's absolutely fine. The Motherboard comes with 4 slots for a reason, manufacturers aren't playing a big con on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What do you all do to vent these sick gaming rigs? The computer is in the bedroom and it’s just like a 400w heater at load, right? And the bedroom is obviously hotter because of this.

Air conditioning isn’t really an option. Should I build some elaborate duct out from the back of the PC to the window? Is this what liquid cooling is for? Like it sounds like the radiator just has to be somewhere else because ultimately the waste heat will end up in the bedroom, so the liquid cooling would also need some ducts.