Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Heres an interlude: I will describe Boomer Prime so you can picture him perfectly.

Turn on MSNBC. Look at Bill Barr. Thats how fat my father is, hes 400 pounds. So maybe make Barr look a litte fatter. Now darken his eyes a bit, litte more weariness. Now add a large, unkempt, white Santa beard. Add bits of food for taste. Now imagine this 400 pound, Santa-beard Barr, and put him in a lazy-boy recliner. He is clothed in a 4XL white tshirt, and boxers. But he is so fat, the boxers are stretched to their limit, completely filled with fat. And while your eye may catch the one testicle escaping down a boxer leg, you will miss the ugly, bramble blackness that is his right shin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Boomers love Ronald Reagan, because if not for him defunding mental healthcare, they'd all be locked up in insane asylums right now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LabyaMynora posted:

Boomers love Ronald Reagan, because if not for him defunding mental healthcare, they'd all be locked up in insane asylums right now.

Reagan set the loonies free and now we have boomers, coincidence??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What does boomer prime do when someone tells him that no, in fact what he's asking for is impossibly stupid and not possible?

Asking for something and then constantly refining the request is massively boomer. "I wanted this. No I wanted it like that, do it again. No I don't like that, do it again. No I won't pay for any of the additional work. No I actually have no loving idea what I want but I'm not going to admit that, do it again!"

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Gaj posted:

Heres an interlude: I will describe Boomer Prime so you can picture him perfectly.

Turn on MSNBC. Look at Bill Barr. Thats how fat my father is, hes 400 pounds...

how is this man alive? and vigorous (enough) to be so involved in something so banal? (I'm sure it's because he's driven by seething boomer hatred and the boomer superiority complex. still a remarkable study.)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

how is this man alive? and vigorous (enough) to be so involved in something so banal? (I'm sure it's because he's driven by seething boomer hatred and the boomer superiority complex. still a remarkable study.)

He can barely walk. Im trying to egg my friend who worked with us to post the story about how he fell and nearly killed her. Recently he told me he is actually TOO ill to just visit the house for a day.... for for every other checkup on the house will be an over night stay. Please check past posts about my wheelchair bound mother for lols.

The normal logic in this situation, is that if you are too ill to drive 200 miles round trip to just check on a house for 2 hours...you should probably let your son be in charge of that since he can drive and likes the place.

No. Boomer Prime logic states that since hes too ill to make a round trip like that in a day, he will then instead just spend more time at the isolated house. Sick wife can never go to the house because she is just too ill for that long of a ride and cant get up stairs.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Laugh at him... to his face... big belly laughs and pointing at the dumb poo poo he says

I know this type all too well and the fact that people cater to them because they have money or influence is one of the main things wrong with this world. So you have to laugh at them

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gaj posted:

Roof Saga Mega Update.

Its been a wild two weeks. Where did we leave off, ahh yes. Soo my father, Boomer Prime, was insisting every day that he NEEDED to go upstate, to check on the house. Again, after having already met the roofer + crew. Well he went up on the 18th to meet with the roofer again and to get him to go up into the attic to take a look at whatever damage is inside. In 95 degree weather. Now the roofer, a close friend, was on vacation that weekend, but still told Boomer Prime that yeah he can jump up. This meant when the roofer went to the house to meet Boomer Prime, he brought his girlfriend.

So roofer is in the attic almost fainting from the heat while Boomer Prime begins to tell a series of increasingly racist jokes to the GF. Like "Ahhh lemme just say something about how if you get in a fight with Negroes you should hit them in the legs" (actual point of one of his jokes, he has spelled it out to me exactly). Gf is new and only faintly aware of Boomer Prime, and acts polite like she doesnt get the joke. So Boomer Prime tells another racist joke. And another. And then one last one, four 4 racist jokes in about 20 minutes.

Roofer comes down, Boomer Prime begins to give him a new set of demands which include:

An outlined, multipage contract with responsibilities.
A clause in said contract that roofer will put down tarps on the unfinished roof overnight. (because he wouldnt do this anyway right guys)
More insurances in the vein of a 20k to cover any injuries (roofer has a 1m policy lol)

Roofer is like yeah whatever I can start in a week whenever the rain stops. Boomer Prime is unhappy about this and begins to then confide in me his concerns about the roofer:

Roofer isnt buying materials because he is broke (est for materials is around 3k)
Roofer doesnt know how to roof and is waiting for a more experienced crew to be freed up.
Roofer doenst know to put down tarp on roof (this conversation has been had like 10 times already)
Where is the roofer getting the materials? Home Depot?!? HES GOING TO HOME DEPOT?!! Doesnt he have a shingle guy? Why is he going to HD and not buying from the manufacturer? -This was an actual train of thought.

Boomer Prime then tells me, he wants the roofer to agree to more in the contract:

20K Bond to the house, so that if initial roofing job exceeds 20k, or if the original roofer is fired and a new roofer must be paid to finish the job. Aka my Boomer dad wants the roofer to put 20k in escrow in case Boomer is displeased.
A promise not to sue, or to put a lien on the house if the roofer is not paid.
Permits, my Boomer Prime wants the roofer to get permits for the roofing job, and additional scaffolding (on a one story house). Unfortunately NY state doesnt process roofing permits for single family dwellings.
An extra stipulation that the roofer is to put "construction paper" down around the perimeter of the house to collect any debris from the roof. This is so nails, bits of shingle or tar dont get into the lawn. We must protect the lawn.

So I got stoned and told the roofer all this and he also got stoned and laughed and told me gently caress it hes not answering the phone for 2 weeks. Hes still on the job hes just not going to talk to Boomer Prime until he settles down a little bit because holy lol 20k bond and acquiring permits which do not exist.
Now this generally all happened over the course of the week, and theres more but ill post a second bit later tonight. Teaser: my dad got into a car accident (3rd in as many years) coming back from the house and doesnt know how to handle the repairs!

Friend, your father has some legit metal health issues. Like, the kind that cannot be worked out in therapy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bonzo posted:

Friend, your father has some legit metal health issues. Like, the kind that cannot be worked out in therapy.

Nah this is the classic combination of sticking to now out of date stuff they learned in school/when they worked on a building site one summer, combined with those rogue trader reality (Made up bullshit that always happens to a relation of a friend’s friend) TV shows.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gaj posted:

So I got stoned and told the roofer all this and he also got stoned and laughed and told me gently caress it hes not answering the phone for 2 weeks. Hes still on the job hes just not going to talk to Boomer Prime until he settles down a little bit because holy lol 20k bond and acquiring permits which do not exist.
Since you and the roofer both are in on the joke, you're actually dealing with him getting the job done in a reasonable way and you're just feeding your father papers written in crayon that says whatever he wants them to say, right?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Since you and the roofer both are in on the joke, you're actually dealing with him getting the job done in a reasonable way and you're just feeding your father papers written in crayon that says whatever he wants them to say, right?

Me and the roofer are getting this done in a reasonable way. If I we were to go up and start roofing tomorrow, Boomer would drop everything, leave my mother alone, and run up to "supervise" and probably insist I drive back with him home. I got rid of my car while moving to the city cause hey who needs that!

Boomer Prime is also insistent that No One will tell me the right, good information for free. And that he needs to manage this project because he will tell me how to roof properly and hes the only one who will teach me for free. Im only letting this run on so he doesnt die on the drive up.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

G-III posted:

Make that "operating the senior euthanasia chambers from Soylet Green" and then it would be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0side9z8qM

I hope those sarco capsules are legal here when I’m ready

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Have you considered sabotaging his car so he's stuck and you can get this done without him?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
It is something that is on the emergency plan list.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Gaj posted:

It is something that is on the emergency plan list.

Ping pong ball in the gas tank, won't stall immediately but after driving for about 10 minutes.

Almost undetectable unless you drain and lower the tank.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1281345629491322880

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
boomers love giving you insane medical advice like you should totally let your dog lick your wound they have healing properties in the spit. no they dont they have tons of bacteria in their mouth and i know for a fact she ate poop today.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I wasn't aware it was possible to dictate those kinds of terms. Generally the trope of the deceased making their heirs jump through a lot of hoops for an inheritance isn't real. Like no court is going to make you spend the night in a haunted house. They're just going to give you your money.

A lot of times people willingly spend the money because we've got some broke brain mentality that expensive funerals equal love. My mom told us not to spend a lot of money, but we figured we'd disappoint her one last time anyway.

its not really dictating terms its hiring a lawyer to make sure your funeral is payed for out of your life insurance. noone is making the heirs jump through hoops its gonna be x gets the house y gets my jewelry and z gets nothing and my funeral is payed out of my insurance. what ever is left over the funeral home will cut you a check for which probably wont be much because if given free reign every funeral home will do the most expensive everything.

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

learnincurve posted:

Nah this is the classic combination of sticking to now out of date stuff they learned in school/when they worked on a building site one summer, combined with those rogue trader reality (Made up bullshit that always happens to a relation of a friend’s friend) TV shows.

Who in life teaches you to leave your MS ridden spouse, who requires 24/7 attention, so you can dictate instructions to a roofer and your own kid?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Dear Watson posted:

I hope those sarco capsules are legal here when I’m ready

Given how 2020 has gone and will continue to go, these capsules are looking to be a better idea as the days go by.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

snergle posted:

boomers love giving you insane medical advice like you should totally let your dog lick your wound they have healing properties in the spit. no they dont they have tons of bacteria in their mouth and i know for a fact she ate poop today.

its not really dictating terms its hiring a lawyer to make sure your funeral is payed for out of your life insurance. noone is making the heirs jump through hoops its gonna be x gets the house y gets my jewelry and z gets nothing and my funeral is payed out of my insurance. what ever is left over the funeral home will cut you a check for which probably wont be much because if given free reign every funeral home will do the most expensive everything.

Yeah, but there’s nothing stopping you from choosing a $400 cremation versus a $10k casket and hiring those dancing pallbearer guys.

Or be like me and pour your grandmother and father’s ashes into old paper towel tubes that you taped up and buried in an abandoned cemetery with a headstone you bought online.

It took 4 tubes, which was surprising because they were small people.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I used to be pissed at Reagan closing the institutions, but then I learned more about them, and it was really a case where they were indeed horrifically abusive hellholes that needed to be shut down, and Reagan was able to use the wave of public furor at the mistreatment of the mentally ill to simply cut all infrastructure. He did it under the guise of ending an oppressive institution, which yeah he did - he just didn't replace it with anything either.

Boomers believe that families should care for their own mentally ill folks with their own resources - family knows best! In general, they believe the family should provide, not society. All of that fits into their broke-brained narrative that the nuclear family needs to be the controlling unit in American society. It splits outside the family and inside the family into two easy-to-understand areas with a clean line.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 29, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but there’s nothing stopping you from choosing a $400 cremation versus a $10k casket and hiring those dancing pallbearer guys.

Or be like me and pour your grandmother and father’s ashes into old paper towel tubes that you taped up and buried in an abandoned cemetery with a headstone you bought online.

It took 4 tubes, which was surprising because they were small people.

It seems like you could just hire a couple of dancers and the parade marshal guy if you're getting cremated?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like you could just hire a couple of dancers and the parade marshal guy if you're getting cremated?

Hire a fire marshal instead of a parade marshal and have a ceremony/cremation combination.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I used to be pissed at Reagan closing the institutions, but then I learned more about them, and it was really a case where they were indeed horrifically abusive hellholes that needed to be shut down, and Reagan was able to use the wave of public furor at the mistreatment of the mentally ill to simply cut all infrastructure. He did it under the guise of ending an oppressive institution, which yeah he did - he just didn't replace it with anything either.

Boomers believe that families should care for their own mentally ill folks with their own resources - family knows best! In general, they believe the family should provide, not society. All of that fits into their broke-brained narrative that the nuclear family needs to be the controlling unit in American society. It splits outside the family and inside the family into two easy-to-understand areas with a clean line.

This is why Boomer Prime stays home and monitors my mothers weekly infusions. Shes had the same nurse for 5 years and they get along fine. But Boomer Prime has to stay home and watches the nurse put in the IV, and then stays the entire time while 2 bags slowly drip in. Ill give you a hint the nurse is from Africa. We have to take care of our own. This is why they refuse to hire a home aide, and instead insist on hiring a cleaning lady. A Ukrainian cleaning lady. Who is ten years older than my parents, so that makes her 84. Oh and her cataracts, so shes half blind. Oh and shes shrunk a lot and is 5ft 3in?

So the only stranger who they allow in the house is an 84 year old blind dwarf who cant really clean cause she cant see that shes leading black streaks on what she cleans cause she cant tell if shes got a clean towel. They had insisted that she is fine as a home health aid, and that there is no need to get a professional and someone else. So I brought up the possibility of my mother falling on this little old blind lady. That can very well happen if someone trips or slips while my mother is trying to get in/out of the wheel chair to use the bathroom. They would both be pinned to the floor and stay there until someone came home. Before the plague Boomer Prime wouldnt come home until 6 because he was "working".

Mind you hes working at a failing business that he has to have my mother pay for. Like hey spouse can you spot me this months rent 3k honey k thankx? Hey employee 1 needs payroll can I get 2k? Oh man the Department of Buildings has a 100 dollar fee hey wife I need a check.

No we cant afford to get a health aid or a visiting day nurse because we take care of ourselves and we are family. Strangers are dangers.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The same logic led to my husband's mother slowly rotting away by herself from Alzheimer's while my father-in-law kept firing nurse after nurse that we would arrange. He insisted he could take care of her by himself, but he couldn't do it. The family shattered from it, unfortunately. We don't really talk to him anymore.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
He thought he could cure her with coconut oil and would send us YouTube videos about the curative effects, meanwhile she's getting the shits from such an oil-heavy diet and her poor body can't hold in nutrients to save its life, literally

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
boomers love to pretend family is everything while sabotaging all meaningful family ties by being awful. boomers never have any friends because they're awful, so they have to use genetics as a basis for relationships because otherwise nobody will talk to them at all.

i have never had a family member who was as good for me as friends and the nuclear family blood related garbage can piss off

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Like he actually thought he was conducting 'experiments', that he would find a cure and prove it to the world, he just had to believe hard enough. Telling him that's not how scientific testing works and that it's incredibly immoral to use your disabled wife as a guinea pig for your pet theories when she cannot consent fell on deaf ears and would in fact infuriate him into doubling down. He'd gotten her power of attorney squared away so we were pretty powerless.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eldercain posted:

boomers love to pretend family is everything while sabotaging all meaningful family ties by being awful. boomers never have any friends because they're awful, so they have to use genetics as a basis for relationships because otherwise nobody will talk to them at all.

i have never had a family member who was as good for me as friends and the nuclear family blood related garbage can piss off

I have a near-boomer coworker, and when she overheard me telling someone else that I quit talking to my father 10+ years ago she had a little mini-freakout. She even said, "blood is thicker than water," and since it was work, I basically just had to sit there and smile and be like, "Yeah, okay. Whatever."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I have heard that the whole phrase is 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the waters of the womb', meaning people you fight next to on the battlefield and who protect you are closer to your heart and greater family than anyone you are genetically related to.

If you're willing to fight and die alongside/for someone, or trust them with protecting your life - that's pretty much the strongest bond there is.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Boomers will die the way they lived.

Screaming and crying as they don't get their way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

Boomers will die the way they lived.

Screaming and crying as they don't get their way. get everything they ever wanted

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wisdom

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is the domain of the wiz, which is extinct

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

purple death ray posted:

Is the domain of the wiz, which is extinct

Somebody beat the Wiz?!

I thought nobody beat the Wiz! https://youtu.be/pRf_A07Elyw

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
Just finished reading Friedan’s “Feminine Mystique” she called it in 1963 that a generation of mothers who did nothing but serve their kids and give them everything they wanted was creating a generation incapable of maturity and self-actualization.

The mom’s desperate to fill the emptiness in their dull housewife routines created a generation of monsters bent on destroying their world as a means of filling the emptiness in their own hearts.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Gaj posted:

This is why Boomer Prime stays home and monitors my mothers weekly infusions. Shes had the same nurse for 5 years and they get along fine. But Boomer Prime has to stay home and watches the nurse put in the IV, and then stays the entire time while 2 bags slowly drip in. Ill give you a hint the nurse is from Africa. We have to take care of our own. This is why they refuse to hire a home aide, and instead insist on hiring a cleaning lady. A Ukrainian cleaning lady. Who is ten years older than my parents, so that makes her 84. Oh and her cataracts, so shes half blind. Oh and shes shrunk a lot and is 5ft 3in?

So the only stranger who they allow in the house is an 84 year old blind dwarf who cant really clean cause she cant see that shes leading black streaks on what she cleans cause she cant tell if shes got a clean towel. They had insisted that she is fine as a home health aid, and that there is no need to get a professional and someone else. So I brought up the possibility of my mother falling on this little old blind lady. That can very well happen if someone trips or slips while my mother is trying to get in/out of the wheel chair to use the bathroom. They would both be pinned to the floor and stay there until someone came home. Before the plague Boomer Prime wouldnt come home until 6 because he was "working".

Mind you hes working at a failing business that he has to have my mother pay for. Like hey spouse can you spot me this months rent 3k honey k thankx? Hey employee 1 needs payroll can I get 2k? Oh man the Department of Buildings has a 100 dollar fee hey wife I need a check.

No we cant afford to get a health aid or a visiting day nurse because we take care of ourselves and we are family. Strangers are dangers.

I like your father less and less with every post.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gaj posted:

Im only letting this run on so he doesnt die on the drive up.

Why

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Because I would have to tend to my barely mobile mother, while also arranging for Boomer Prime's apartment and office to be cleared out. Hes an art/document pack rat and Ill have to rush though a literal loft of stuff. Id had to make sure my mother has 24/7 caretaker while I rush to clear out a factory space, and get a roof repaired.

Heres an old, lovely picture of the office. It used to be an old boys club until the 60s. Its an entire floor space for your basic NYC tenement. All the walls are covered in art and historical papers. Boomer Prime may be a horrible monster, but he has very good taste. One of my friends compares him to Jabba, a horrible disgusting personality you wouldnt want to sit down with, but boy he has good taste in Rancor pits. Those are original 30s art deco globe lighting. The shape on the left is Boomer Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I worked very very briefly at an ancient lawyer's office inside an old used car dealership that looked exactly like that but shittier