Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ugusername posted:

On the whole thinking that a loser student of the winner of previous tournament should win is on the same wave that traditionalist karate master should job to quirky dudes. Kengan is all about subverting stuff. I am ready to eat my words but this is prime material for Rihito to grow up even more. And he did really good. Path of martial arts is hard yo.
It's how you plate your dish. Even in Asura there were times when someone won in an upset contrary to reader expectations that did not land well and this is unfortunately an example of that and the 2nd in a row. Rihito shouldn't get an automatic win just because his mentor is Gensai but there are some decisions with this fight that make it just as aggravating as Carlos getting his world rocked but still getting a win. Like Gensai himself showing up despite last being seen in America to both say Rihito has a chance at winning and then two chapters later looking just as disappointed as I felt to see Rihito getting choked out. And why the use of poison here? Wouldn't a head strike or chin blow to induce a concussion be more palatable while also keeping someone on Purgatory's side as looking legit?

Rihito can lose this fight just fine but not like this. It doesn't make Falcon look that great despite his reputation and dominance in this match, because anyone who has to debilitate their opponent to win is conceding they were outmatched in the end. And it makes Rihito's hype from the Mokichi match hollow because his technical side was what hampered him for the most part and it wasn't until he went back to a more reckless side like in Asura that he started to really make headway once he landed his counter hit.

So far, these fights are a step down from the ones in this own series that precede it. Akoya vs Ryuki is still my gold Standard for Omega because it lands the right combination of character, story, and actually satisfying combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Brought To You By posted:

It doesn't make Falcon look that great despite his reputation and dominance in this match, because anyone who has to debilitate their opponent to win is conceding they were outmatched in the end.

That's the Kengan mindset

In the Purgatory ring, the winner is the winner. There is no such thing as outmatched in pure strength because pure strength isn't what is being measured. The better fighter won.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope one of the kengan fighters just pulls out a gun in their match to cinch the win

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tonfa posted:

That's the Kengan mindset

In the Purgatory ring, the winner is the winner. There is no such thing as outmatched in pure strength because pure strength isn't what is being measured. The better fighter won.

This is about what might be satisfying for the reader not what makes sense in universe. And Kengan people use dirty tricks and insane gimmicks fairly frequently as well as having a ruleset that just lets them get away with killing their opponents under the right circumstances. Even a poison appendage isn't new to kengan fighters since Kaburagi did this to some extent.

If you honestly found this fight's final act satisfying don't let me take it away from you. But I'm still waiting for someone on Purgatory's side who is enjoyable to see in a fight. Or is it that something that stopped and started with Jose and I was just supposed to take the hint when he lost to Yumigahama?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i like kengan when theres punching and kicking or hot chicks in swimsuits

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I am indeed enjoying this arc because the Kengan guys are in hostile territory and are losing because they don't realize their opponents do not subscribe to the Manly Man Hotblood Punch Club attitude.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't help but feel like this is just gonna end with Purgatory winning the tournament and also having no fighters left because they've been totally beat to poo poo by the Kengan guys

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Comparing the Falcon to Kaburagi is a little weird. The Falcon's tricks are still reliant on him actually fighting the opponent, whereas Kaburagi's tricks were reliant on outside involvement and never actually fighting his opponent until he felt they were totally debilitated, at which point he would beat their rear end. The moment that Ohma beat Kaburagi's tricks he literally pissed his pants and surrendered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kaburagi's w/l record wasn't particularly impressive. his whole deal was that even if someone beat him, they'd still get hosed up if not ruined. so, he had a lot in common with falcon's original occupation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Yeah Muteba described this guy as a top 3 nonlethal disabler in the world, it's not like he's some comedy jobber Rihito should have chewed thru

Same, I was either going to be very impressed or 'Understandable, have a nice day' with this one. Either Rihito did some serious hard work to make up for having absolutely 0 martial arts in only two years to keep up with and beat the Falcon or the many years of experience separating the two of them wouldn't be something he could overcome that quickly.

Hey wait, is this just a if it's 3-5 then one team wins no matter what or are people going to have to go for second rounds?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't like these fights wahh wahh
I don't know if i want to keep reading wahh wahh
I don't like my favorite sideline character being beaten wahh wahh

y'all knew Rihito was being set up as a boss to beat Falcon and knowing that y'all shoulda known that it aint gonna happen

we haven't even seen Rihito and Ohma link up again despite them being basically beat buds at the end of Ashura

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Imagine trying to convince people that Rihito losing is the subversion of their expectations. :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

one thing i dislike about this tournament so far is the (seemingly on purpose) ambiguity on the two winners so far

in asura, the majority of wins happened at the end of the chapter - the climax for that particular chapter.. there were lots of cliffhangers for comebacks, but victors were certain by the end of the chapter

like, all of wakatsuki, cosmo, fang, gensai, fast love man, jun, lazy almost fang, all these guys at least all had their fights conclude within the same chapter pretty much every time

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lt. Lizard posted:

Imagine trying to convince people that Rihito losing is the subversion of their expectations. :v:

idk what that italicized word means so gently caress you

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

remember when Rei won a lot against fan favorites but then he got his rear end beat by Gensai in the end. While there are upsets, Kengan will come good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If Julius loses i'll close this thread

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I'll support you in that choice.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Plutonis posted:

Does this include if Julius loses via killing his opponent?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Julius is definitely just going to casually toss his opponent out of the ring

Yes including the huge dude on the Purgatory side

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want julius to fight the wu person who uses his release and julius just steroid muscle beats him

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I want Julius to pick a man up and twist his head off like a bottle cap

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want Julius to flip the arena.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man the watsuki julius fight owned so hard

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want Julius not to fight the other huge dude and instead have a two different proper David and Goliath fights.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope Not Meguro goes apeshit

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I want Julius to win because he learned ballet from Sawada.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean the most absolutely important thing is more of this.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
:hmmyes:

Now, when does that drat issue drop?!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Julius is going to lose because he was wearing more than a speedo before the fight :colbert:

I believe in Julius

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

I mean the most absolutely important thing is more of this.

Man might have an rear end, but fishing grandpa's thiccness is legendary.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New chapter is out - https://mangadex.org/chapter/975797/1

Okay own up, which of you guys talking about Julius is the mangaka?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

New chapter is out - https://mangadex.org/chapter/975797/1

Okay own up, which of you guys talking about Julius is the mangaka?

I brought Julius bc I saw the raws

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Heck yeah, battle of the big boys.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Big old sluggernauts going at it is. Also well uh, I hope you learned something from that experience Al.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Julius is going to fight a bad guy from fist of the north star lol

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

bird guy: "I challenge you to a duel"
beard: "you literally can't even stand up"
bird guy: "Here I come!"
beard: "no."

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hell yeah, this match is gonna end in one of those ringouts where the whole drat ring is destroyed but when the dust settles, julius is balancing on one tiny piece on his big toe (because he learned ballerina fighting during the timeskip)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

literally no way he loses, im investing everything into juliuscoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fellis posted:

Hell yeah, this match is gonna end in one of those ringouts where the whole drat ring is destroyed but when the dust settles, julius is balancing on one tiny piece on his big toe (because he learned ballerina fighting during the timeskip)

Sounds like sumo to me.