Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The age of From is fading and an endless age of Elden Ring information blackout begins ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

WaltherFeng posted:

For a lot of people the bosses in Sekiro are the best fights in the game since they are quite a bit more varied and challenging than regular mooks.

The boss fights in just about all from games are huge highlights, but it's like eating a meal comprised of nothing but bacon. For me the boss fights are great in no small part because they break up the rest of the gameplay and are spread throughout the entirety of the game and there's downtime in between for exploring and loving around. Doing them all at once and skipping the rest of the game seems insane but whatever floats y'alls boats.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I mean I wouldn't mind a miniboss mode too because a lot of Sekiro's are just as good as the bosses.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I'm happy about the update, but the pessimistic part of me wonders if this is a product of Activision and FROM breaking up.
Cause I can see this update being 100% developed on the Activision side of things. It's all just a few skins, and existing content stitched together.

That being said, boss refights/boss rush is going to be awesome.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

BadMedic posted:

I'm happy about the update, but the pessimistic part of me wonders if this is a product of Activision and FROM breaking up.
Cause I can see this update being 100% developed on the Activision side of things. It's all just a few skins, and existing content stitched together.

That being said, boss refights/boss rush is going to be awesome.

Why would they have a FROM employee talk about it then?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Lead in for DLC perhaps? :pray:

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Why would they have a FROM employee talk about it then?

Because I am blind and clearly cannot read

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The boss fights in just about all from games are huge highlights, but it's like eating a meal comprised of nothing but bacon. For me the boss fights are great in no small part because they break up the rest of the gameplay and are spread throughout the entirety of the game and there's downtime in between for exploring and loving around. Doing them all at once and skipping the rest of the game seems insane but whatever floats y'alls boats.

Play furi.

Also a meal made up of just bacon is loving delicious

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is very cool and I am glad of it, but nevertheless, LET ME FIGHT TOMOE YOU COWARDS

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Admittedly boss refights are cool and will allow for practicing techniques and stuff.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Also let's not forget the ghost system and fashion-souls-ninja-kinda thing that they're doing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As someone who plays Souls with basically the same gear each time and doesn't experiment, I'm actually looking forward to being able to unlock skins

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tirranek posted:

Lead in for DLC perhaps? :pray:

One can only hope.

OP updated

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I found DoH. Managed to kill red eye Dojo guy. Struggling with isshin/everything at this point

There's a wall right past the first super macho man you fight with an L shaped upper corridor. At the end is a door that doesn't open from that side. How the gently caress do you get on the other side of that?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're willing to play around with game files, there's a very full-featured boss rush mode mod someone made and uploaded to Nexus. Being able to refight everything at will really helped nail down the deflection patterns on Owl and Owl2 for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

*heaves a sigh*

*slowly rises from kneeling position on ancient tatami-mat floor*

*spends several minutes watching interplay of autumn-leaf shadows on far wall*

*unsheathes blade with single flick of thumb*

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't believe they're updating it, I just loaned my copy of the game to a friend like a GIANT IDIOT!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you're willing to play around with game files, there's a very full-featured boss rush mode mod someone made and uploaded to Nexus. Being able to refight everything at will really helped nail down the deflection patterns on Owl and Owl2 for me.

Ya I already have it on pc. I don't mind mods but I am just gonna check how the outfit looks as well but I know there is mods for that too. Still happy for console people to get boss rush.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

codo27 posted:

There's a wall right past the first super macho man you fight with an L shaped upper corridor. At the end is a door that doesn't open from that side. How the gently caress do you get on the other side of that?

If you're talking about the spot after the first ogre and where you fight Shigekichi of the Red Guard later on, you have to jump down the canyon to where the headless is, and make your way up out of his room to reach the other side of that door.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like how they say

quote:

Sculptor’s Idols will also offer the ability to change the Wolf’s outfits, with three to become available with this update, including “Tengu” and “Old Ashina Shinobi. Two of these outfits are unlocked via Gauntlets, while the third is unlocked just by beating the game once.

Basically taunting us like there will be another update or DLC down the line

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I also killed my first headless tonight. Unfortunately not much desire to seek out the others or the shish kebab or whatever the others are called. Why are so many underwater? :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The underwater ones are the easy ones

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

*looks at 100% cheevs and 500h played*

Oxxidation posted:

*heaves a sigh*

*slowly rises from kneeling position on ancient tatami-mat floor*

*spends several minutes watching interplay of autumn-leaf shadows on far wall*

*unsheathes blade with single flick of thumb*

yeah. yeah

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was just diving for items I'm never gonna use and I just nope right outta there as soon as I see them. Fuckers.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
No lie, the headless fights are my least favorite thing in all of sekiro and may be my least favorite enemy fromsoft has ever done. There's just nothing appealing about them at all. Throw in they're also the most commonly reoccurring miniboss and it just gets worse

Think of how bad you have to screw up an enemy such that players PREFER the underwater level version

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Literally just get rid of the consumable. That's it, that's all you'd have to do (ala the water enemies). It's not like the rewards are so transcendental that you'd need to gate them behind a limited consumable until the point where they're not limited.

Like they poo poo candy on you the whole game but to get the special candy that spends another limited resource instead of your massive pool of normal candy you have to use an incredibly limited resource to get it? It's nonsense.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

rideANDxORdie posted:

No lie, the headless fights are my least favorite thing in all of sekiro and may be my least favorite enemy fromsoft has ever done. There's just nothing appealing about them at all. Throw in they're also the most commonly reoccurring miniboss and it just gets worse

Think of how bad you have to screw up an enemy such that players PREFER the underwater level version

I think From knew exactly what they were doing there since they went to they went to the trouble of animating them anally fisting the player character

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Honestly, I just wish consumable buffs lasted twice as long. Yeah, needing confetti for the fights is bullshit, but it's made even worse by needing 2 or 3 charges to finish a fight.

Actually, I would be fine with the length of the candy buffs if activating them was instant. My biggest problem is you can't really use them during a fight. SSI isn't going to wait while you to sit down and contemplate the flavor.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

skasion posted:

I think From knew exactly what they were doing there since they went to they went to the trouble of animating them anally fisting the player character

Whilst this is probably a little true they’re actually pulling out Wolf’s soul.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

but thru his butt doe

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
At this point I am completely over timed buffs as a mechanic. If you’re going to have buffs in your game, I would really prefer them to have some other drawback than constantly needing to reapply them. It’s just busy work. Idk how this would work in a game like Sekiro where everything is done through consumable items, but in games with a mana bar, buffs should just consume a constant, set amount of mana as long as they’re active, effectively reducing the maximum amount of mana that you can spend on other things.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Soul is stored in the rear end.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The first time that happened, my brain just didn’t process it. I thought it was yanking my head off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

skasion posted:

At this point I am completely over timed buffs as a mechanic. If you’re going to have buffs in your game, I would really prefer them to have some other drawback than constantly needing to reapply them. It’s just busy work. Idk how this would work in a game like Sekiro where everything is done through consumable items, but in games with a mana bar, buffs should just consume a constant, set amount of mana as long as they’re active, effectively reducing the maximum amount of mana that you can spend on other things.

Soul is stored in the rear end.
I never liked timed buffs in From games and never used them. They seem entirely designed for replays - and people LOVE replaying From games - so I can't be too critical as I'm probably not the target demo.

But confetti was a timed buff everyone had to interact with... I would be happy to not see that specific implementation return.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Idk I just used the purple umbrella + prosthetic attack and murdered them fine?

I agree about the buff being timer limited though. I end up simply not using them because of their limited duration.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

They are putting their entire hand inside of his anal cavity.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

SHISHKABOB posted:

They are putting their entire hand inside of his anal cavity.

Yeah and then they take out Wolf’s shirikodama

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I hated the Headless fights until I realized if you just stay up in their poo poo you can draw out their teleport anal attack which is super easy to punish the poo poo out of.

I hated the shichimen warrior fights way more, I never could reliably knock them out of the air.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo I might have to get off my rear end and finish my iron code playthrough

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
As much as I love them From seems to have some really weird tendencies, since the issue with weapon buffs being so short-lived is definitely in other From games. Also like mentioned above the idea that the reward for the headless is a candy that just uses a different finite resource makes it so underwhelming. Some times it feels like they're super worried about niche things being op - weapon arts are like this too, especially right at release when spiral cloud passage cost like 6 spirit emblems to do slightly more damage then a whirlwind slash over a long three second animation. IDK why any weapon arts outside of the ultimate ones and mortal draw cost spirit emblems when Ichomonji whips so much rear end for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Colonel Whitey posted:

The boss fights in just about all from games are huge highlights, but it's like eating a meal comprised of nothing but bacon.
people would absolutely eat meals of nothing but bacon if it wasn't unhealthy