Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

btw I have the FF7 remake pressing and it sounds like straight poo poo, obviously I didn't expect much from a picture disk but it's pretty bad overall (and they left off hollow what the gently caress?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Photex posted:

btw I have the FF7 remake pressing and it sounds like straight poo poo, obviously I didn't expect much from a picture disk but it's pretty bad overall (and they left off hollow what the gently caress?)

My copy is fine, pretty decent for a picture disk, and I have heard similar from people with much better setups than I have, so maybe the quality is just variable?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Goddamnit still no Live a Live soundtrack curse you Squeenix :argh: Though for that to happen they'd have to bother bringing the game to the west. In other vinyl news Sacred Bones Records put up a bunch of Mort Garson for preorder yesterday if you need more Moog synthesizer in your life.

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/

I wound up preordering some off their Band camp page instead.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

JAMOOOL posted:

honestly I'm not even sure what some of these are, I've ordered a lot of stuff in the last month or so that just hasn't arrived due to (I assume) the massive USPS backlog. I'll open em up tonight when I'm in the right frame of mind and get back to y'all

This is one of the few things i've been looking forward to during this whole shops are closed stay at home poo poo. I keep ordering records and things are delayed, or i forget what I ordered so its like surprise record day once in a while.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i cant say much to the quality of that chrono picture disc (i think its a picture disc?), but the music they're pressing on it is really good. some really nice arrangements, viper manor in particular is great.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Photex posted:

Mine does too. The remake disc has a ton of surface noise. Ironically the old soundtrack disc sounds better.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Mine does too. The remake disc has a ton of surface noise. Ironically the old soundtrack disc sounds better.

I noticed that too and I thought it was just my brain telling me "You paid $80 for this..you need to enjoy it somewhat" but yeah the Remake disc is very very bad.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh hey. A dollar bin staple is getting a fancy reissue.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7011-exotica

Great album. But if you pay $30 for it yer doing it wrong.

In other news finally got my 7inches off the floor. Also pictured about 70% of my collection...the rest live on the floor. Mostly in crates. Mostly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Oh hey. A dollar bin staple is getting a fancy reissue.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7011-exotica

Great album. But if you pay $30 for it yer doing it wrong.

Needs more Whipped Cream.

fake edit: Is that a Fender Mustang?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

fake edit: Is that a Fender Mustang?

Squier Jagmaster. It's my wife's. A friend gave it to her years ago. She never learned to play. I too have a bunch of guitars that I don't know how to play.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Squier Jagmaster. It's my wife's. A friend gave it to her years ago. She never learned to play. I too have a bunch of guitars that I don't know how to play.

What are they? I MUST KNOW.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

What are they? I MUST KNOW.

Behold. The Hall of Unplayed guitars

Yamaha Classical was my mom's that she bought in the 80's when she was a grade school teacher.
Univox Hi Flyer/w Peavey practice amp I bought for an 1/8th of grass and $100 in my 20's
Stella parlor guitar bought at a pawn shop for $30 I was really into old country blues as well as punk blues like Jon Spencer, Jackknife, Bob Log so I used the Stella as a slide guit and the Univox as my electric. I never got very far with either.
Jagmaster was given to my wife loooong time ago. The thing is heavy as gently caress so I don't think she messed with it that much. A couple years ago she expressed interest in taking guitar lessons and those neat little Epiphone Les Pauls had just come out so I bought it for her. Great little beginner guitar. Looks cool and really inexpensive.
Not pictured is the '72 re issue Tele I had for a while when I was in music production class. I eventually sold it to a buddy who actually plays in a band.

Every once in a while I get a little drunk and make terrible sounds through my little Pignose amp.

This post probably belongs in the Stupid Music poo poo thread.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 30, 2020

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What's the big green Al Green box?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
are there any decent Kallax knockoffs that fit vinyl records? I moved in with my friend when Covid hit and my records have been stuck in U-Haul boxes ever since. Ikea delivery in NYC is an absolute shitshow (and has been for years, ever since they started outsourcing to what might actually be the worst-rated company on Yelp), so I'd like to avoid it. I know Target has similar cube shelves, but I think they don't actually fit records :smith:

if anyone has some creative record storage solutions they're happy with that are compact, cheap, and would fit about six boxes worth of LPs, I am interested. thought these looked nice but not sure I have room in my life for 100 pound solid wood furniture right now.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

are there any decent Kallax knockoffs that fit vinyl records? I moved in with my friend when Covid hit and my records have been stuck in U-Haul boxes ever since. Ikea delivery in NYC is an absolute shitshow (and has been for years, ever since they started outsourcing to what might actually be the worst-rated company on Yelp), so I'd like to avoid it. I know Target has similar cube shelves, but I think they don't actually fit records :smith:

if anyone has some creative record storage solutions they're happy with that are compact, cheap, and would fit about six boxes worth of LPs, I am interested. thought these looked nice but not sure I have room in my life for 100 pound solid wood furniture right now.

milk crates? im sure in nyc you could just find discarded ones but container store sells slightly oversized ones specifically for records. then if you replace them with proper shelves later you have milk crates to store tools and stuff in

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

milk crates? im sure in nyc you could just find discarded ones but container store sells slightly oversized ones specifically for records. then if you replace them with proper shelves later you have milk crates to store tools and stuff in

looks like container store's milk crates specifically say "do not fit vinyl records," but they do sell these kind of expensive guys: https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/plastic-bins-baskets/12?productId=11006360

i've started scanning my records with discogs to try to figure out exactly how many records I have (and reorganizing my post-move box hell so that I can see the actual volume they take up), so I can figure out exactly how much storage to get... at least that's a start. suspect I would need at least 6 of those boxes to fit my collection though, and at $35 a pop at that point I might as well be buying real shelves

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

screaden posted:

What's the big green Al Green box?

https://store.fatpossum.com/products/the-hi-records-singles-collection-box-set

I picked it up during the Fat Possum sale for 45% off.

Huh. I remember getting some crates from the Container Store but saw this on their site.

"The Container Store did carry a larger sized crate made to hold vinyl records but they discontinued as they had explained that the mold broke and that they would not have it fixed."

Checked some of the other sites and the larger crates that hold records don't really seem to exist any more. Crazy.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 30, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

looks like container store's milk crates specifically say "do not fit vinyl records," but they do sell these kind of expensive guys: https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/plastic-bins-baskets/12?productId=11006360

weird, i have two in my closet that I used for months until I got a new shelf. i did buy them in store a few years ago so maybe they changed up. sucks.

e:

sporklift posted:

"The Container Store did carry a larger sized crate made to hold vinyl records but they discontinued as they had explained that the mold broke and that they would not have it fixed."

lol well there ya go

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Walmart has (had?) some that are blatant Kallax knockoffs with the dimensions and everything. 2x2 and 4x4, in black and light wood grain. When I looked at them in store, they seemed on par with my Kallax in build quality.

edit: here's my post about it originially:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3417644&pagenumber=523&perpage=40#post488525617

I'm not sure if they're discontinued or if they sell them under a different SKU now.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 30, 2020

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

abraham linksys posted:

These look like the Kallax knockoffs and say the cube size is 13x13

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-H...ull&athena=true

https://www.target.com/p/13-34-9-cube-organizer-shelf-weathered-gray-threshold-8482/-/A-17161945

Wonko the Sane
Nov 23, 2004
When I moved into my new place a few months ago, I got the Better Homes & Gardens ones from Walmart.  They were sightly more expensive than the Kallax, but I didn't have to drive several hours to an Ikea and back.  I've since added a few more, but they mostly have books and movies on them (please excuse the record player, it was a gift and I'm too cheap to replace it until I have to).

Wonko the Sane fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have the Walmart ones, they’re fine. Was way cheaper for me to get them delivered than get the ikea ones delivered too.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 30, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Wonko the Sane posted:

please excuse the record player, it was a gift and I'm too cheap to replace it until I have to
I stole my record player, there's no shame here.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My udiscover order came in today. The Getz/Gilberto and Neneh Cherry sound great but drat that Black Star is a picture disc and sounds like hot garbage.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

My udiscover order came in today. The Getz/Gilberto and Neneh Cherry sound great but drat that Black Star is a picture disc and sounds like hot garbage.

Is it the mos def black star or Bowie?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

Is it the mos def black star or Bowie?

The hip hop album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wonko the Sane posted:

When I moved into my new place a few months ago, I got the Better Homes & Gardens ones from Walmart.  They were sightly more expensive than the Kallax, but I didn't have to drive several hours to an Ikea and back.  I've since added a few more, but they mostly have books and movies on them (please excuse the record player, it was a gift and I'm too cheap to replace it until I have to).

Are those movie posters with Wendy Carlos' sheet music printed on them?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

Walmart has (had?) some that are blatant Kallax knockoffs with the dimensions and everything. 2x2 and 4x4, in black and light wood grain. When I looked at them in store, they seemed on par with my Kallax in build quality.

edit: here's my post about it originially:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3417644&pagenumber=523&perpage=40#post488525617

I'm not sure if they're discontinued or if they sell them under a different SKU now.

Haha, $60 for the 2x2 and $120 for 2x4. Very specifically at the price point of “we know you live far away from an Ikea so it’s much more expensive than theirs, but just a little cheaper than theirs + shipping :)

Edit: These are the prices brickseek shows for my area in wa27’s post last year, I imagine the prices vary depending how close the Wally World is to an Ikea

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouch that’s gone up, I paid $79.99 + tax for my 2x4 last August according to Walmart.

E: when I click thru it says $96 currently for black but $88 for the espresso. Maybe two similar listings, or it prices based on area?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-8-Cube-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/40831067

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 31, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This just might be the silliest record in my collection.

(maybe the one that's just train sounds?)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

caligulamprey posted:

This just might be the silliest record in my collection.

I always enjoyed picking up novelty vinyl. Used to own a fair amount of terrible 80s soccer teams “hit” singles (it was a thing and was always pretty awful), TV tie ins, a 7” from the ET fan club of ET talking which was mainly just to laugh at when it was scratched with etc.

All of which pale in comparison to the awfulness of my 12” single of this. I might have even had 2 copies, so it could be looped until the end of time.

https://youtu.be/sWwuwaYXXGA

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

All of which pale in comparison to the awfulness of my 12” single of this. I might have even had 2 copies, so it could be looped until the end of time.

https://youtu.be/sWwuwaYXXGA

I have doubles of Careless Whisper and I would loop the sax solo until people started looking confused. Then I would just play out the song. I thought it was funny...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had a fancy CD player in the 90s that would let you repeat sections of a track, and my roommate at the time looped a 30 second bit of dueling banjos for almost 24 hours. Alcohol may have been involved.

Wonko the Sane
Nov 23, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Are those movie posters with Wendy Carlos' sheet music printed on them?

They are. I'm a pretty big fan of her, Kubrick and TRON, so when I found them at a comic con I couldn't resist. Here's a closer picture I took after framing them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/MilanRecLabel/status/1289221345419509760?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wonko the Sane posted:

They are. I'm a pretty big fan of her, Kubrick and TRON, so when I found them at a comic con I couldn't resist. Here's a closer picture I took after framing them.

These are great. I'm a big fan of Wendy Carlos/Kubrick/Tron too. You have good taste.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 31, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
This record arrived this week. So happy to finally add it to my collection, and the package is pretty immaculate.

HOWEVER, when I listened to it I discovered a significant scratch through the end of A National Acrobat and beginning of fluff :gonk:

Hoping the seller will make things right in some way. It was listed "Mint" =|

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Return that and get the Mac Sabbath flexi disc instead IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kFfLRcHjU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

After reorganizing my records, I went to actually play one, and remembered why I hadn't in a while: my Audio Technica LP120 has an issue where one channel of its output is missing and is instead just a loud buzzing noise :negative:

I've had issues with a missing channel before due to an unbalanced tone arm, but buzz is present even when the needle isn't in contact with the record. Google is a bit confusing and has a lot of people talking about various "hums" that sound a lot less overbearing than what's happening with my setup, and I can't find any issues about it specifically happening in one channel (I know it's one channel because when I unplug one half of the red/white cable it disappears).

My setup is just the red/white out from the turntable, to a cable that feeds them into a single 3.5mm, into a sound bar. I don't actually have any equipment that can just take red/white inputs (left my bookshelf speakers behind in the move), but I used this setup before the move and I remember it working fine, so I don't think it has to do with the sound bar or the cables. Seen some people talking about grounding issues, but I'm not really sure what the deal is with that.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Not really sure how to best debug this. I was actually thinking of trading down to a more compact turntable anyways, so if this turns out to be an issue with the turntable I can't fix it's not the absolute worst thing, but it'd be nice to know more before dropping money on... I dunno, probably a U-Turn Orbit Basic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

After reorganizing my records, I went to actually play one, and remembered why I hadn't in a while: my Audio Technica LP120 has an issue where one channel of its output is missing and is instead just a loud buzzing noise :negative:

I've had issues with a missing channel before due to an unbalanced tone arm, but buzz is present even when the needle isn't in contact with the record. Google is a bit confusing and has a lot of people talking about various "hums" that sound a lot less overbearing than what's happening with my setup, and I can't find any issues about it specifically happening in one channel (I know it's one channel because when I unplug one half of the red/white cable it disappears).

My setup is just the red/white out from the turntable, to a cable that feeds them into a single 3.5mm, into a sound bar. I don't actually have any equipment that can just take red/white inputs (left my bookshelf speakers behind in the move), but I used this setup before the move and I remember it working fine, so I don't think it has to do with the sound bar or the cables. Seen some people talking about grounding issues, but I'm not really sure what the deal is with that.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Not really sure how to best debug this. I was actually thinking of trading down to a more compact turntable anyways, so if this turns out to be an issue with the turntable I can't fix it's not the absolute worst thing, but it'd be nice to know more before dropping money on... I dunno, probably a U-Turn Orbit Basic?

It sounds like a grounding issue. Is your phonograph grounded?