Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol that light mechs are even more fragile than in the computer games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
On the subject of getting obliterated by a bunch of enemy hovertanks, you might want to make sure the Against the Bot option that doubles enemy vehicle counts is off. It defaults to On and the newer AI is a lot better with vehicles than the old ones, it doesn't need the crutch.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hell, where did our employers even FIND a COM-1A to "gift" us? You're talking a very limited run light mech (only in production for ~20 years before they updated to the -2D) that was exclusively produced for the LCAF. And light mechs in general would have higher unsalvageable attrition rates than larger mechs. Yes, this is Battletech and mechs are used for centuries, but this is legitimately one you'd probably almost exclusively find in museums or private collections - and mostly in Lyran space at that.

Like, this is legitimately something to consider rerolling because it makes almost no sense, or else make up rules to find an interested collector to sell it to for more than its listed value.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

drat, that mission was brutal. At this rate I think the seed money may run out before the contract, can't wait to see the hard mission.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Currently doing test runs of and getting screenshots for the next mission now. At the suggestions of Lord Koth and Dachsundofdoom, I will be doing the following two things:

--Selling the new 'Mech we got (it's been pointed out to me that's it's primitive, so I'll sell it and reroll on the appropriate RAT (Mercenary/Periphery) for our new 'Mech)

--Turning off the option that doubles the number of vehicles that the bot can spawn with. It won't take effect this upcoming mission, but it will affect those that generate after.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 31, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it ok if I can sign up again to fill an underfilled role or a mech tech?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it ok if I can sign up again to fill an underfilled role or a mech tech?

Sure; just make sure to use a different name because fifteen MechTechs/administrators named all named "Bobby McBobson" gets confusing really quickly.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Lateinshowing posted:

Yeaaaah, sometimes the ATB missions are absolute dogshit. Still, I'm blown away as to just how much advanced tech it's throwing at you in 3025 from a faction that... well, I don't know them honestly but I wouldn't think they'd have almost any stores of it. Always throws TONS of vehicles at you which fair, vehicles aren't as good as mechs, but if you throw 2x the number and 3x the tonnage.... well, those vehicles are gonna gently caress something up really hard unless you get lucky.

Stinks that happened though. Light mech battles are always scary since even a medium laser at times can start causing internal damage and some light mechs *coughWASPcough* Don't even have the 9 head armor and 3 internal structure most have so can't survive let's say.... a lucky large laser to the head.

:science:

The Niops Association is a weird one in the force generator. There's a special callout line for it that boils down to "Instead of rolling on the generic periphery table, the Niops Association rolls 90% of the time on the Star League table". It's real painful to run into unknowing the first time but I didn't want to say so in the mission vote because you asked people not to spoil super optimal stuff, like I noted in the PM. :(

Also as you've done, the double-enemy-vehicles rule is real painful, and good for you turning them off. As Strobe noted the ATB rules were written with a really incompetent bot in mind and it never got updated now that Princess is actually decent at its job. :shobon:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'll join as a Mech Tech as Michael Dint.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I'll join as a Mech Tech as Michael Dint.

Done! And don't worry about your nickname too much; it's a joke that, before you took over this guy, refers to him botching a maintenance check so bad he degraded the quality of the 'Mech he was assigned to.

EDIT: I spelled the name you gave wrong. This has been corrected.

EDIT 2: Have all the screenshots I'll need. The mission...went surprisingly well. I will work on the update tomorrow.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 30, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think most of the mechs you get from the civilian table will be primitive or have some major primitive components. It's a lovely table because civilians have lovely rides.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HereticMIND posted:

Sure; just make sure to use a different name because fifteen MechTechs/administrators named all named "Bobby McBobson" gets confusing really quickly.

I'll have another go, then, unless MIAs can pop up again? Let's say, Fatima Sabater.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

goatface posted:

I think most of the mechs you get from the civilian table will be primitive or have some major primitive components. It's a lovely table because civilians have lovely rides.

Yeah, it is usually a better idea to sell them off immediately, or salvage some choice part and then sell them, than to hold onto one to try to make it work in your lance. Unless you're really desperate.

Unless you're like my overly long campaign where you keep them to refit with weird tech just because the regular models have gotten you bored and you're swimming in cash.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
drat that was rough, glad you pulled through!

I played a little ATB a few years back an I remember vehicle swarms would always mess my poo poo up, though to be be fair I also suck at Battletech and dont understand half the rules.

Hopfully the lance Nasir commands getting blown up around him doesnt become his curse Like it seems to be for all my light lance commanders in ATB

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lord Koth posted:

Hell, where did our employers even FIND a COM-1A to "gift" us? You're talking a very limited run light mech (only in production for ~20 years before they updated to the -2D) that was exclusively produced for the LCAF. And light mechs in general would have higher unsalvageable attrition rates than larger mechs. Yes, this is Battletech and mechs are used for centuries, but this is legitimately one you'd probably almost exclusively find in museums or private collections - and mostly in Lyran space at that.

Like, this is legitimately something to consider rerolling because it makes almost no sense, or else make up rules to find an interested collector to sell it to for more than its listed value.

MekHQ seems to do this a lot. I started playing again recently and not only did one of the civilian units I had to protect pilot the only prototype of a 'Mech that has ever existed, I just got gifted another one from my employer.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Something like a COM-1A as a very rare thing works, but unique variants/prototypes being on the tables seems a bit dumb.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

seaborgium posted:

MekHQ seems to do this a lot. I started playing again recently and not only did one of the civilian units I had to protect pilot the only prototype of a 'Mech that has ever existed, I just got gifted another one from my employer.

Coming to CommTech Holovision this summer: The Grey Goons Traveling Antique Battlemech Show and Armed Response Service.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

CAMPAIGN ONE, UPDATE ONE: CUT THOSE TEETH! (PART THREE: MISSION TWO--BREAKTHROUGH)

I start by removing the COM-1A we just got from Charlie Lance and selling it. As I noted before, the Commando is a weird light 'Mech that doesn't fit in with the rest of both the lance and what light 'Mechs are supposed to do overall (ie be scouts). I also GM'd some funds in to represent us finding a private collector of rare and obscure primitive 'Mechs.

This, unfortunately, leaves Charlie Lance shorthanded, which we need to take care of before the next set of missions get generated.

So I roll on the Mercenary/Periphery RAT and come up with a Quickdraw. It messes with Charlie Lance's weight class (even though it was already weird to start with after the absolute hell Mission One was), but it adds a bit more staying power and is mobile enough to keep up with the rest of the lance. As soon as a better light 'Mech comes along (like a Hermes, Mongoose, or a Panther; hell, I'd even take another STG-3R), though, this thing is either going to be sold off or be rotated into the Reserves. Right now, it's filling a spot for Charlie Lance. (Might swap Nasir and Izzy around in the meantime; not sure)

I also designate Lyra as the overall unit commander and promote her accordingly. This is purely for making sure our reputation score is calculated properly and that any rolls that require a commander can be made.

Enough housekeeping, let's get rolling.

(Again, this synopsis will be heavily truncated as I have too many screenshots)

To give me some breathing room and to make this fairer, I shunt a few of the tanks off of the board and have them deploy well into the game (turn 11, I think the screenshot says). This also gives me a timer, because when these tanks roll up, I do not wanna be around. Besides, those Demons are enough trouble as they are and the 'Mechs doubly so (the MAD-1R is green as grass, which is a saving grace, but the FLS-8K has double heatsinks, which makes its laser barrages especially potent, not to mention its speed is more than enough to keep chase with my 'Mechs).

Again, Shifting Wind Direction and Shifting Wind Strength are turned on to help further weigh the scales in my favor. Who knows, maybe a tornado will sweep in and wreck those Demons for me. :v:

Map of Mission Two (ABOVE--Plain View, BOTTOM--Elevation View)

Deployment order

I drop into the southeastern corner, having already planned out the route I'm going to take. Just gonna ride the eastern edge the best I can and (hopefully) not take too many hits on my mad dash north. Nothing too fancy, just gotta leg it.

OPFOR takes the center, as expected. Based on my previous experience, even with their handicap, I'm still skittish about this mission. Especially since one of their Demons is on a ridgeline overlooking the eastern canyon I want to cut through.

The friendly Clint, in a rather questionable move, deploys right next to me. I say it's questionable because I'm not sure how my ally will play this. Are they trying to go for a diversionary attack to buy me time? If so, why deploy so close to me?

I ignore the shudders going down my spine and get ready to start turn one.

The OPFOR moves south in a bid to try and intercept me while the friendly Clint shoots forward to meet them, possibly in an attempt to buy me time with a dumb sacrifice play. I can already tell that this mission is off to a great start.

My turn rolls around and I have all my 'Mechs run along this vector. In retrospect, I should've had them jump instead of trying to run; would've made their target modifiers much more manageable and made them harder to hit.

My butthole starts to clench when I see these pop up. Yes, those target numbers are absolute poo poo, but need I remind you that I was still having flashbacks to my Wasp's head exploding?

Thankfully, both miss.

I don't. This is for my Wasp, you sonuvabitch!

OPFOR keeps trying to get a bead on me, so they leave some of their tanks in overwatch positions overlooking the eastern canyon.

I have most of my 'Mechs start to enter said canyon along the eastern edge. While the tanks on the ridgeline do have shots at me, I'm going too fast for most of them to hit on anything lower than a twelve.

The allied Clint keeps charging forward towards the OPFOR, again possibly to make a stupid sacrifice play. It didn't work out for the Jenner, and I highly doubt it will work here.

OPFOR gets some good hits on me, which makes me sweat just a tiny bit, especially about that Demon. Man, I need to take that thing out before it becomes a major thorn in my side.

I give better than I get, however, and make the Flashman pay for its hubris by triggering a PSR. It makes it, but that doesn't matter as much; I've proven that I can make this thing feel pain. I shouldn't get distracted, though; I need to keep heading north.

The next turn is more of me running away towards the north as the Clint tries to buy me time by distracting the OPFOR. It kinda works, for the most part, which surprises me in retrospect. Hell, the MechWarrior is even getting lucky by only being hit by grazing shots.

But drat if the OPFOR isn't making me work for this. This was on Turn Three. I got back up the next turn and kept heading north.

My Griffin, the friendly Clint, and one other 'Mech (I think it was the Phoenix Hawk) all decide to continue laying on the hurt on the Flashman in retaliation on Turn Three and force another PSR that it makes. This luck can only last for so long, though. Its heat curve is looking pretty ugly at this point, too.

On Turn Four, I maneuver my second Wolverine to cover the rear as the Griffin and the first Wolverine advance. The OPFOR give chase as the allied Clint valiantly tries to distract them.

In an action that I can only describe as an action designed to bait me, the Royal variant Demon charges forward and threatens the rear arc of my weaker Wolverine. Every alarm bell in my head is ringing and I'm considering restarting the mission. But then I stop myself from panicking and think my options through. If I continue going north as planned, the Demon has an uncontested shot up my Wolverine's rear end. If I gamble and call the tank's bluff, I might be down a 'Mech or at least have one that's in need of severe repairs upon mission completion if it backfires. However, if my gamble works, I can immoblize/mission kill a very scary tank and hamper the enemy from chasing me further. (I won't be able to salvage it, but that's neither here nor there)

I decide to go for the riskier play and jump my Phoenix Hawk right behind the tank. It's a dumb move, but gently caress it, I'm in no mood to quit now.

The Flashman and the Demon tank ravage my Wolverine, but it stands strong and is able to make its PSR. Next turn it needs to run, though.

My gamble with my Phoenix Hawk works. I've taken one of the more dangerous guns off the board by immoblizing it. My heart finally starts to beat again.

My Griffin keeps the pressure on the OPFOR's Flashman.

I begin moving away from the eastern edge and drop my first, weaker Wolverine into the little gully you see. At the bare minimum, it messes with the OPFOR's aim.

The OPFOR Flashman has decided to show me his rear end, so I jump my Griffin and my second Wolverine to take advantage of his faux paux. Revenge is going to be SWEET!

The allied Clint is still trying to gum up the OPFOR, making itself a juicy target and attempting to distract them into shooting at it.

A spirited exchange of fire happens between the Flashman, Clint, and I. Luckily, the friendly Clint doesn't take as much pain as I had anticipated and my Wolverine doesn't suffer any return fire. However, this puts the Clint in a bad postion armor-wise. I'm actually getting serioiusly worried for its long term health.

I keep my 'Mechs traveling through the gully. I'm also starting to jump more and back up so I can minimize the chances of a sneaky OPFOR tank running up behind me. Thank GOD turns don't consume jump Movement Points!

The Clint is still vaingloriously making itself a nuisance for the OPFOR. Its luck is going to run out sooner rather than later.

Can't say it isn't working, though. And what's more, every attack against it this turn missed. How. HOW.

I keep to the gully and keep moving and jumping backward along this vector. Nothing fancy, just keeping my eyes on the prize while also being mindful of the OPFOR's proclivities.

The Clint's luck is about to run out, sadly. It lasted longer than the Jenner did, though! So, silver lining!

It refuses to go down without a fight, though. A hip hit on the OPFOR Flashman forces a PSR...

Which it fails.

Aaaaaand the Clint is about to get its rear end blasted. These actually caused me physical pain when I read them.

It goes down in a ball of fire as its engine goes. Can't say it didn't do well; it actually was a big help.

With the allied Clint down, I spend the next few turns running northward.

The OPFOR Flashman has a helluva time trying to get up on Turn Eight, though. Man, this is so satisfying.

This helps remind me that no, I'm not outta the woods yet.

I finally reach the northern edge. Time to get the hell out!

Time to put this to bed!

MISSION TWO: VICTORY

POST MISSION

I buy another Orion, rotate the Crusader out into the Reserves, and hire another MechWarrior and MechTech. At the very least Bravo Lance is more tanky now.

I'm just glad these two missions are done.

~~~~~~

Active Roster as of Mission Two

If you wanna submit any new callsigns for the survivors of Mission Two, be sure to bold your suggestions!

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 31, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm not about to try to start backseat piloting, but do you want some, uh, pointers?

Regardless of the above, I think you might find it a beneficial idea to take a look at Glancing Blows (and its counterpart, Direct Blows). Short version:

- Any attack that scores the to-hit number exactly does half-damage, rounding down (or -4 on the cluster chart).
- For each three points of margin of success on a to-hit number, a weapon does an additional point of damage (or gets +2 on the cluster chart). i.e. a PPC that needed a 6 to hit and rolls a 12 will do 12 damage instead of 10.

Generally they turn the lethality down hard on both sides, because just look through one of the round reports and see how many of those shots hit on exact numbers and imagine them doing half damage. This is a major boon for missions that aren't direct combat, but it does make stand-up fights take longer. Your mileage may vary.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Adios, Clint. You did your job.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Normally I'd be offended that my incredible Mechwarrior skills were wasted on a tank, but I think I'm okay not facing down a massive wall of lasers powered by Star League tech. That Flashman reminded me of that BlackKnight variant from the HBS game that could disintegrate a 'mech in a single round if it fired everything at once. I'll wait until I'm piloting something a little tougher before going toe-to-toe with one of those. Like an Atlas.

And, as previously stated, due to a dare, my callsign and real name are one and the same.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Normally I'd be offended that my incredible Mechwarrior skills were wasted on a tank, but I think I'm okay not facing down a massive wall of lasers powered by Star League tech. That Flashman reminded me of that BlackKnight variant from the HBS game that could disintegrate a 'mech in a single round if it fired everything at once. I'll wait until I'm piloting something a little tougher before going toe-to-toe with one of those. Like an Atlas.

And, as previously stated, due to a dare, my callsign and real name are one and the same.

Yeah, Star League era tanks are no joke. That particular one (Royal variant Demon) was a right bastard because of its Streak SRMs on top of having a Gauss rifle strapped to its turret.

The Flashman, by contrast, wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be. Sure, the laser barrages that did hit me definitely hurt, but I was able to kite it and keep its target numbers shot to hell. I could manage fighting it.

I seriously bet that the next few missions are going to see very high turnover.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 31, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I once had a mission where I took a lance of tech level one medium/heavy mechs against six clan Demons and some supporting hovers.

It was savage but you better believe the single mech that walked away from that did so with five Clan gauss rifles.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Saros posted:

I once had a mission where I took a lance of tech level one medium/heavy mechs against six clan Demons and some supporting hovers.

It was savage but you better believe the single mech that walked away from that did so with five Clan gauss rifles.

Please tell me you promoted that MechWarrior and upgraded their ‘Mech.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Really good mission after the last one, got to show off even vs. Star League tech.

Mech of the Mission is the hard working Clint which lasted much longer than it should have.

Enemy "Mech" of the Mission is Demon Tank #2 for blowing it up. Some day this will actually get to be a mech.

No real feelings on your own guys this mission for a callsign. Solid teamwork but nothing really stands out.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Did... did that Flashman use it's Antimissle system... as an attack? I didn't think that was even possible.

Oh also HereticMIND, how is XP gained by the various pilots/techs/everyone else? You doing it by kill? By mission (and coming back alive)? I know it's kinda nitty gritty but better to know these things so people understand the pace of advancement. Also are you playing with just gunnery/piloting or are you going to work in the pilot special abilities (PSA)?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some advanced rules bullshit probably.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Woo, survived my first mission. I don't mind being the tank guy, but I hope I live long enough to get my own custom loadout :V

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, the was a great job, considering what was in the OPFOR. From the overall results, it looks like the Marauder and one of the Demons never really had a great firing position? Thankfully the Veteran pilot was in the offboard Burke instead of the Royal Demon.

Lateinshowing posted:

Did... did that Flashman use it's Antimissle system... as an attack? I didn't think that was even possible.

Glancing at the AMS rules, it's apparently a Total Warfare rule that it can be used as a Machine Gun with 1 hex range if both players agree (which here was presumably a Total Warfare "ON" setting).

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'll give a suggestion for a callsign of 'Duck' for Mikheal Lyte piloting the Wolverine, since he tried to 'duck and cover' after getting a barrage from the Flashman.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So what does wind actually do? You had some settings for it, but I didn't see any mention through the mission.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fat Samurai posted:

So what does wind actually do? You had some settings for it, but I didn't see any mention through the mission.

It mostly affects missiles, giving you a + to your to-hit depending on the strength of the wind. Lasers are unaffected.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Wind also matters -a lot- if you're using the advanced fire and smoke rules.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Lateinshowing posted:

Oh also HereticMIND, how is XP gained by the various pilots/techs/everyone else? You doing it by kill? By mission (and coming back alive)? I know it's kinda nitty gritty but better to know these things so people understand the pace of advancement. Also are you playing with just gunnery/piloting or are you going to work in the pilot special abilities (PSA)?

Above is a breakdown of how I'm doling out that sweet, sweet XP. 3 XP for each completed mission, 7 for every kill, 1 for every 12 on a successful task and 1 for every 2 rolled on a failed one, 4 XP for every 2d6 months greater or equal to ten, 6 for the selected negotiator on each contract, 3 to every admin (awarded on Monday for the previous 4 weeks), and it costs 10 to get a point of Edge (basically the luck stat).

As for pilot special abilities, those will come up when they come up.

El Spamo posted:

I'll give a suggestion for a callsign of 'Duck' for Mikheal Lyte piloting the Wolverine, since he tried to 'duck and cover' after getting a barrage from the Flashman.

Please bold your suggestion for callsigns, please!

Now, if you'd excuse me, I need to get back to work on the next update (which will probably be another housekeeping one).

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 1, 2020

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy
Hi Sis!

I know it wasn’t too long since my last letter to you but I’ve got some important news. The powers that be have decided to promote me to Captain of the Grey Goons. I know! I don’t quite believe it yet myself but we were running without one for a while and I guess they needed someone to officially look over the Marik intel reports and worry about what kind of monstrous Star League era mechs the Niops will throw at us next. Not that the League military care. They seem to have no qualms about sending a light or medium mech right down their neck as a distraction while we act all professional and get the objectives done. They charged a Clint right at a Flashman and it mostly worked out for them! Luckily they don’t expect us to do the same yet, but I wouldn’t rule out them doing so in the future.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing well and the AMC is treating you… well I won’t say well but at least better. It can’t feel too great being stuck guarding some Davion mining interest while pirates are raiding other planets in the Alliance with near impunity. I know we’ve been over this plenty of times Kris, but if you ever do get tired of sitting on your hands and want to grab your own destiny with them instead, I can put in a word with a certain mercenary captain and you’d be a shoe in for a position.

Anyway, I’ve got a fair bit of work to do. Charlie Lance is a bit of a hodgepodge at the moment and that needs to get sorted out and I need to find out if Mukai was able to get in contact with the Niops people about a POW. Of course, by the time I get around to sending this letter and certainly by the time it reaches you in the Alliance it will all be over with one way or another.

Keep safe out there,

Lyra.

-------

Well, that went pretty well all things considered! Congratulations to Alpha Lance on a job well done! That was a hell of a first week, and it doesn't sound like it's going to get much easier, but at least we might get another shot at some of that salvage.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

CAMPAIGN ONE, UPDATE TWO: A MOMENT TO BREATHE

After those two missions, I have advanced time and all is quiet. There's an infantry unit waiting to be hired in the Personnel Market, but I ignore them and take another look at the Unit Market to see if there's anything we need.

Hmmm...that DRG-1N looks extremely tempting, especially at that price (85% of the full price? Yes please)...but it's on the Black Market, which means there's a very high chance that it's a scam. I'll hold off for now...actually--know what? I'll make it a vote at the end of this update, see what you guys think.

Two new missions popped up--one that will most definitely happen, the other more flexible on our schedule but it has been issued to us by our sponsor. We can do both on the same day, but we need to figure out which one we do first, just like last time.

Let's take a look at the Probe (Defender) mission first.

Looks like the Niops wants to get more of a read on our forces and, as such, has deployed a small scouting party to poke and prod at us to see which way we jump. Winner of this little skirmish gets some salvage. Let's see who our employer has sent along for the ride, shall we?

Another Jenner? Man, the FWLM must like putting people in those coffins. The MechWarrior is also roughly the same as the last one, skill-wise. Alright, who did the Association send to test our mettle?

A bunch of tanks? Huh. Guess they don't wanna risk having us salvage some good stuff from their 'Mechs. I mean, it tracks with what I would do.

Let's see what our sponsor wants us to do.

As it happens, one of the senior partners of our sponsor's firm has a grandkid serving with the FWLM unit we're attached to. We have a very vague idea of where the kid is and not much more than that; the client wasn't able to get those details for us. We're to make contact and await further instructions from there. From the way things are shaping up, it looks like we're going to play bodyguards for the grandchild.

If we win, we get a nice payout and a roll on the Mercenary/Periphery RAT for a random 'Mech if we do it within the next two weeks (game time), on top of whatever salvage we collect. Plus, we might get other goodies from our sponsor if we pull this off.

I think that just about does it for this update; a shorter one than usual, sure, but a welcome one. With those outta the way, it's time to vote.

-------------

Which mission do we do first? (Both missions will happen; one just has a bonus if we do it within a certain amount of time)

1) PROBE DEFENSE

2) SPONSOR'S MISSION: BODYGUARD

When we do the Bodyguard mission, who do we send?

1) ALPHA LANCE

2) BRAVO LANCE

Should I gamble and see if we can't grab that Dragon from the Black Market?

1) IT'S GUN POWER -- WE NEED IT

2) IT'S A SCAM -- WE DON'T NEED IT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Refer to the Table of Contents if you need a refresher on the current make up of our lances and our active roster while considering your votes!

:siren:VOTE ENDS IN 48 HOURS!:siren:

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We should do the Bodyguard first, send David Cage and the rest of Alpha Lance (because I want XP), and that Dragon is definitely a scam.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I agree on Bodyguard and Alpha Lance but the Dragon is 100% legit.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

We should do the Bodyguard first, send David Cage and the rest of Alpha Lance (because I want XP), and that Dragon is definitely a scam.

Agreed. Why Alpha? So in the case that the VIP is in a light mech, and decides to charge forward, our lance will be able to stay with him.
As for the Dragon, it's less that it's a scam, and more that it's a dragon (where'd you want it, anyhow?).
Aside, seems to be a cheap phoenix hawk for sale - and you did want something lighter to replace the quickdraw. Anything wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

Agreed. Why Alpha? So in the case that the VIP is in a light mech, and decides to charge forward, our lance will be able to stay with him.
As for the Dragon, it's less that it's a scam, and more that it's a dragon (where'd you want it, anyhow?).
Aside, seems to be a cheap phoenix hawk for sale - and you did want something lighter to replace the quickdraw. Anything wrong with it?

Two reasons why I want that Dragon:

--It's a decent brawler for its weight class and can take LOTS of punishment. The downside is that it's pretty slow (4/6). It'd be in the Reserves as a backup in case one of our heavier 'Mechs in Bravo goes down.

--Having a Dragon on hand is a very good thing to have

The reason I didn't spring for the Phoenix Hawk is because it's less of a scout and more of a striker (it goes in, does a ton of damage, and then leaves; it doesn't have the staying power of, say, an Orion), which would potentially mess with Charlie Lance's mission profile (ie Charlie Lance's purpose). Sure, the Phoenix Hawk would be able to keep pace with the rest of the unit, but it just doesn't fit. It's not because I blanked out and missed it at all; what are you talking about.