Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The only thing you really need to know about FF7 Original in order to understand FF7 Remake is that it exists, I think, which is hinted at pretty hard by the Remake title. I'm pretty sure all the other questions raised in Remake were things that weren't addressed until the party left Midgard in the original anyway.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

anakha posted:

Wall Market didn't delay them from reaching the pillar since they still turned up at the right time to get involved. If they were held up to the point that they wouldn't have gotten to the pillar on time, the Whispers may have involved themselves. In fact. they turned up early enough that the Whispers tried to block them from getting to the pillar if you recall the first battle of Chapter 12.

So in other words they rewrote the story, changed events and shuffled the timeline to make a fun and compelling story happen that was mostly the same but switched things up as needed, and didn't need a single Whisper to make it happen?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Why are you guys insisting on full-spoiler-blocked discussion in the general remake thread when there's a Spoiler-specific thread Right Here?.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sure thing.

Point two: I get why chapter 17 happened that way in relation to previous chapters, it just feels weird to change all of those story beats in the first place. The pillar was emotional because these people die tragically, so they change it so one of them doesn't die and the impact of the loss is lessened... Then just kill him at a random point later on anyway, pretty much having him turn up for no reason other than to be killed, except instead of it being a consequence of his own actions, it's just dumped on us out of nowhere, without the knowledge of any other character so it has all the impact of 'then Wedge went to live on a farm'. Why complicate what happens in a way that is detrimental to the emotion of the original scene, do nothing with it, then go 'actually we're bored of him now, just get rid of him without anyone else seeing it and move to the next scene, we don't have time for emotional payoff'. Like, just kill him at the pillar, the whole point of him hitting the ground dead was to provide a dramatic turn that carries through the entire scene and beyond.

Point three: Square-Enix changed a bunch of stuff, including adding characters who weren't there originally, and didn't feel the need to explain it other than wanting to switch things up. Those two were existing characters from other media, but the Wall Market people like Sam weren't, as far as I know, and even if they were, their inclusion is a departure from the original, which for some reason doesn't require plot ghosts while other sections do. Wasn't the entire expanded Wall Market section causing massive delays to the cast that the ghosts would want to rectify? Or was it okay to just rewrite the whole thing, including the timeline of events, and absolutely no-one cared that they did it because it ruled and didn't need some weird meta explanation to butt in and explain everything away?

The new characters and plot beats didn't need Whispers because the new stuff didn't actively interfere with the Big Plot Points that needed to happen. It's clear that minor divergences don't matter, as long as the big important beats do.

Obviously the designers could've just written a different story without using the Whispers. Some people would've liked it, and some people would've thrown fits that they're "throwing out the perfect original story". Or they could've exactly retold the same story, and some people would've liked it, and some people would've been disappointed at the complete lack of creativity and rehashing a story that's already been told.

However, I think it's pretty obvious that the Whispers are there because the writers wanted to tell a story that sub textually analyzes the pressures and expectations of remaking a hugely popular and influential story, contrasted against an artist's desire to do something new instead of just retell what's already been done. And once again: some people like it, and other people are throwing fits. It's almost as if there was no "right way" to remake a classic hugely burden with fan expectations.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 29, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So in other words they rewrote the story, changed events and shuffled the timeline to make a fun and compelling story happen that was mostly the same but switched things up as needed, and didn't need a single Whisper to make it happen?

If the events of Wall Market remained true from the original, there would have been a lot of protests made. Chapter 9 being rewritten the way it was stemmed from a need to avoid the non-PC pitfalls of the OG. That the rewrite of Wall Market was very good is irrelevant to the changes in the remake's overarching storyline that from Squeenix's perspective required a separate vehicle like the Whispers to tell.

E: Yeah, the poster above is correct - take this to the Spoilers thread.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The true final boss's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCeXgLxK2o

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You are like taking the metaphor of the ghosts way too literally.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man Aerith and Cloud are such dorks, in the best way. Also the scene when they threaten Don Corneo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just started playing this and I'm sure this has been brought up before but when I look at Biggs all I can see is Charlie Sheen and I cant deal with it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Just started playing this and I'm sure this has been brought up before but when I look at Biggs all I can see is Charlie Sheen and I cant deal with it

It's actually never been brought up

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Moola posted:

It's actually never been brought up

Oh. Well, he looks like Charlie Sheen from his role in Platoon, and I guess maybe Hot Shots as well lol?? Anyway, now the game is ruined for you too

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You fool its been brought up before! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
He lies, it's definitely been brought up. Embrace the Sheen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fridge corn posted:

fridge corn posted:

Oh. Well, he looks like Charlie Sheen from his role in Platoon, and I guess maybe Hot Shots as well lol?? Anyway, now the game is ruined for you too

Huh, I looked that up and you've got a good point. I was thinking Bardock at first but your example has now supplanted my own.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Moola posted:

You fool its been brought up before! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!

How could you do this to me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It seemed pretty straight-forward to me. They involve themselves when something might derail the end outcomes, so changes don't matter unless they would actually alter said outcomes. And since it's from the perspective of the planet, it's likely mainly concerned with the end results of the original FF7 plot (that obviously have ramifications for the planet as a whole).

It's the difference between someone taking a different route to arrive at the same destination and taking a different route that goes somewhere else entirely.

There are still some questions someone could have, though it's not too hard to come up with plausible answers to them. Someone could wonder how the Avalanche folks dying is necessary to the end outcome, but it's plausible that if they live it could affect Cloud and company leaving Midgar at the same time they originally do.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fridge corn posted:

How could you do this to me

:evilbuddy:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just got to Chapter 14 where the game opens up again. Time to grind a bit. I managed to finally get weapon proficiency for everyone while doing some of the side quests.

The boss in the previous chapter was pretty disappointing, he lived up to his name. So far all the boss fights have been really hype from the battle itself to the music and cinematics.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It’s so similar it has to 100% be intentional

I remember back in 2001 or something they asked one of the artists where they can design so many brand new realistic characters for FFX. And the designer was like “yeah it’s just an actor. I can’t tell you which one because then you’ll see it too”

Everything about Avalanche is so 90s down to the music and the scene with them parachuting down to midgar. Haven’t figured out which 80s/90s actress Jessie is yet

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thinking back on it I wonder if he was talking about Auron in FFX clearly being Jeff goldblum

doos
Jan 1, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thinking back on it I wonder if he was talking about Auron in FFX clearly being Jeff goldblum

I always thought of him more as 1980s Michael Keaton.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Then who was Wakka supposed to be

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bender

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It’s so similar it has to 100% be intentional

I remember back in 2001 or something they asked one of the artists where they can design so many brand new realistic characters for FFX. And the designer was like “yeah it’s just an actor. I can’t tell you which one because then you’ll see it too”
Tidus literally being Meg Ryan confirmed

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1291675455188279298

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1291649523815575552
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1291644880184209408

theyre also putting out lets see music boxes and an album of the distant worlds orchestra tour. and i'm sure a million other things

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 7, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ah yes... uh, you see.... hmm. The important things is... uh... Sin is... ah... Sin is Jecht...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think Auron could also be Toshiro Mifune

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

DarkLich posted:

In summary, he only made sense as a villain in this game if you were familiar with the original game.

If you come at it from a first time player perspective, Seph does clarify that he killed Cloud's mom at some point in the past, giving him an automatic villain status. But yes much of his presence is playing off the context of whispers and timeline preservation, which specifically rewards those who played the OG.

Sindai posted:

Remake's version of Wall Market is very different from the original. It was actually about as bad as you might expect of a 90s game which is why it was almost completely changed.

I liked the changes, except for the new music which is loving horrendous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arkage posted:

Hmmmm, ah, um, ahuh, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arkage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT2VbBAWJbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhhV-rIOuA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibr2ZRCqVEI

That's a big nope there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guys I think he's just saying he didn't like the Wall Market music specifically. Maybe even just the dance number song.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
No I agree, the song that plays when you're walking around wall market is nowhere near as good as the original

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm kinda low-key really irritated by the fact that they use the Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7 so liberally like when you're walking around sector 7 slums and stuff. I dont think you ever hear that track in the original until you leave Midgar and hearing it for the first time is a big part of that moment imo

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The designers talked about that in a recent interview, they wanted sector 7 to have a real homey feel to it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well they hosed up!!!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya the music is great, I also collected most of the original music in game, both are great imo.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Guys I think he's just saying he didn't like the Wall Market music specifically. Maybe even just the dance number song.

Gonna assume it's this track which I find pretty obnoxious too even though I love the Remake OST overall.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

Gonna assume it's this track which I find pretty obnoxious too even though I love the Remake OST overall.

I really dislike it, but I'd like to clarify; it's just such a huge departure from the tone of the original wall market that I find it very distracting.

The rest of the soundtrack is of course 99% baller as gently caress, especially the tracks in the tunnels leading up to wall market. Speaking of, I just find it so weird they did a fantastic remix of the ORIGINAL wall market theme, but then made something totally different for the actual theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT_egN4Mw8

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FuriousGeorge posted:

Lol no that song owns

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

I really dislike it, but I'd like to clarify; it's just such a huge departure from the tone of the original wall market that I find it very distracting.

The rest of the soundtrack is of course 99% baller as gently caress, especially the tracks in the tunnels leading up to wall market. Speaking of, I just find it so weird they did a fantastic remix of the ORIGINAL wall market theme, but then made something totally different for the actual theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT_egN4Mw8

And that's just the amped-up combat version, they could've just used this for Wall Market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6jz-A9fsc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hand over Hand has been on my running playlist for months and I think is the only video game track on there atm.