Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

default font.

i feel like it had to be like 2004 or 2005.

when did we go serifless

will serifs ever come back

was this a universal switch or just a north american concentrated one

and now im seeing that maybe corbel is replacing arial as default???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Wikipedia posted:

Calibri…In Office 2007, it replaced Times New Roman as the default typeface in Word and replaced Arial as the default in PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and WordPad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you don't manually change everything to Adobe Garamond Pro you're subhuman

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

dirby posted:

Calibri…In Office 2007, it replaced Times New Roman as the default typeface in Word

I think the cultural switch happened a few years before this, starting in the late 90s serif fonts started to seem less "cultured and distinguished" and more "smarmy guy in pleated pants and big glasses who spilled Zima on his iMac."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I remember being taught some time in the mid-'00s that serifs are for print and sans is for screens.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I work for the Federal Judiciary, so we still use Times Roman as the default for legal documents. In fact, our court mandates that Times Roman 12pt be used for all filings.

Except for prisoner/pro Se filings; those usually come in handwritten.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DamnCanadian posted:

I work for the Federal Judiciary, so we still use Times Roman as the default for legal documents. In fact, our court mandates that Times Roman 12pt be used for all filings.

Except for prisoner/pro Se filings; those usually come in handwritten.

What is their opinion on double spacing?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It was in 2003, when the latest release of Microsoft word defaulted to calibri.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

when did we go serifless

Could it be when we perma'd seraph? :dumbrim:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It was in 2003, when the latest release of Microsoft word defaulted to calibri.

actually,

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Still don;'t know what a serif is

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a type of angel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I shot the serif

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Gaius Marius posted:

do you know what a sans is?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I shot the serif

But I did not shoot the descender

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I remember being taught some time in the mid-'00s that serifs are for print and sans is for screens.

i remember this as well. pretty sure most newspapers and magazines still print in serif fonts

apps like ms word probably made the switch around the same time when most documents became more likely to be read on a screen and sent via email instead of printed out

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 16, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Tiggum posted:

That explains why a lot of my company's writing standards switched from Times New Roman to Arial. It happened shortly after most of our corporate files became mostly electronic (and e-signed).

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
What font is something awful?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I would say the demarcation point was 2007 when MS office changed the default font from Times New Roman to Calibri.

Serifs are the little tails at the corners of letter forms, they are an artifact from romans carving in stone, the serifs prevented the stone from chipping in the corners of letters.
When printing came along Serif fonts were used because the perceived baseline made them easier to read in blocks of small text.

San-serif (“without serifs”) typefaces are more pleasing to the eye in larger sizes so as we’ve transitioned from print to screen where text is generally larger and more spaced out san-serif fonts have become more popular for reading.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What's the Latin word for fonts whose lowercase "L"s, uppercase "i"s and 1s are visually distict from each other and not just tint differences in height.

Ill, it makes me when I see code/serial numbers displayed like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If I was head of MS or something I’d change the default logo to Jokerman to see how many small businesses and old people admit defeat and use it for signage/menus/correspondence