Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hegel Exercises posted:

i'm getting a sneaking suspicion that mentioning russian bias gets you chat banned, because i think the only thing of note i chatted about last night was how that new replacement for the khaba they're testing is going to be more russian bullshit like every other russian ship they've added to the game and i logged into a 48 hour chat ban :thunk:

it's literally a tashkent :confused:

The automatic chat ban system is supposed to consider whether you said a bad word, and the list of bad words includes "gay" so "bullshit" very likely counts.

General Battuta posted:

Surely not all the Russian ships are bullshit? The cruiser are delicate and blow up almost on suggestion, the battleships are admittedly very obnoxious to fight but are also totally one-dimensional and unrewarding to play, the destroyers hardly seem like all-stars. The Smolensk is awful, yeah, and the Stalingrad can be terrifying in certain narrow circumstances. But I haven't noticed any general avalanche of Russian points in the end-game stats.

They aren't. Nevsky has too much range, a few of the battleships are overpowered, Smolensk is a terrible addition to the game (but not overpowered the way Wargaming defines overpowered) and that's about it. Petropavlovsk has some pretty dumb design concepts (really small target with 50mm armor, spaced citadel just because every ship in 2020 gets a spaced citadel, and stealth radar that's made irrelevant by the short duration) but it does literally nothing if you angle so who cares. Stalingrad is good at punishing broadsides, and it has a unique niche so it'll always be good in competitive, but it's unremarkable if you don't broadside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

ahh that must be it, i said bullshit russian premiums.

anyone else notice an uptick in epicenter maps? i have and slightly miffed because I loving hate that game mode -- it's boring

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hegel Exercises posted:

ahh that must be it, i said bullshit russian premiums.

anyone else notice an uptick in epicenter maps? i have and slightly miffed because I loving hate that game mode -- it's boring

It can be less exciting than a standard domination map, but its much better than a standard battle by far.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Hazdoc posted:

It can be less exciting than a standard domination map, but its much better than a standard battle by far.

:hmmyes: no lie here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does anyone have a good rundown of the game in present day? I was in the closed beta for this and played off and on for a few years but never very much and haven't fired it up in almost 2+ years now.

Restarted it today and it felt pretty fun. I have a bunch of japanese destroyers and cruisers and US CVs and Battleships. Not much else in any country. Am I still gonna be good or?

Also I don't have anything higher than tier VI or VII lol.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

That Works posted:

Does anyone have a good rundown of the game in present day? I was in the closed beta for this and played off and on for a few years but never very much and haven't fired it up in almost 2+ years now.

Restarted it today and it felt pretty fun. I have a bunch of japanese destroyers and cruisers and US CVs and Battleships. Not much else in any country. Am I still gonna be good or?

Also I don't have anything higher than tier VI or VII lol.

IJN cruisers are pretty solid, USN BB aren't terrible either. T6 and 7 are rough but then you get the NC :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hegel Exercises posted:

IJN cruisers are pretty solid, USN BB aren't terrible either. T6 and 7 are rough but then you get the NC :unsmith:

What's the current hotness for DD's? I for some reason am equally up both Japanese DD lines, can't recall why I was doing that now.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

That Works posted:

What's the current hotness for DD's? I for some reason am equally up both Japanese DD lines, can't recall why I was doing that now.

France, Britain and Pan-Euro have lines that came out recently for DD's and I think they're all solid for different reasons.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

That Works posted:

The Japanese line that ends in Harugumo is good (from tier 8 up). The line that ends in Shimakaze isn't bad, but your performance depends on people being dumb enough to walk into your torpedoes so you can have bad games without doing much of anything wrong.

Outside of Japan UK is probably the best newbie DD line, but you could also try US or Germany. Avoid Pan Asia.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

e: nvm, bitching is unhealthy :)

I got the Friesland tonight, holy poo poo :stare: i legit feel bad for the roma who gave me broadside at ~10km

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 30, 2020

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I’ve got a choice to either get the Daring or Harugumo next. Both are researched, but only have the credits for one. I think the Daring would be better, but I do need to get the Haru just for the research points.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

New dockyard coming in 0.9.8, this time for the USS Anchorage, a tier 8 cruiser. Will function "pretty much the same as the Hamburg" event, except there is no halfway ship this time; instead you get 100 000 free XP for the halfway point.

E: Belfast is also returning as Belfast '43, a new tier 8 premium with the old Belfast's features but adjusted for T8. The old Belfast will remain as is.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 30, 2020

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

CitizenKain posted:

I’ve got a choice to either get the Daring or Harugumo next. Both are researched, but only have the credits for one. I think the Daring would be better, but I do need to get the Haru just for the research points.

Daring by a country mile IMO.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

New dockyard coming in 0.9.8, this time for the USS Anchorage, a tier 8 cruiser. Will function "pretty much the same as the Hamburg" event, except there is no halfway ship this time; instead you get 100 000 free XP for the halfway point.

E: Belfast is also returning as Belfast '43, a new tier 8 premium with the old Belfast's features but adjusted for T8. The old Belfast will remain as is.

For reference, Anchorage is a T8 buffalo, with 15s reload, no radar, smoke, and 9km torps.

Belfast '43 is not the same setup as old Belfast, it has no hydro, and it has British DD smoke instead of British Cruiser smoke

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bonus codes:

RNFLEETAIRARM -- 400k credits
BACKPFEIFENGESICHT -- supposedly german cv container mission

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Bonus codes:

The probably one and only time I have been able to catch one of these while they're still active.

I mean, I'm about to go to work so I can't see what they are but WG didn't reject them outright this time

Also ranked battles are suck. I want to reach 10 and then I'm done

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Unlock Thunderer, first match two brothers with a cyclone :cripes:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Der Shovel posted:

Bonus codes:

First one accepted, second one already invalid

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Belfast is back! And in pog 1943 form!

At tier 8 with torpedos and RN DD smokes and radar!

Also Oklahoma at T5 with “strong secondaries” further adding fuel to my theory that the USN BB split was supposed to be brawlers.

Maybe this means we'll get a T6 Enterprise '42 with Wildcats, Dauntlesses, and Devastators :kiddo:

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 30, 2020

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Or T10 USS Lexington CV-16, with jets.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Preechr posted:

Or T10 USS Lexington CV-16, with jets.

:hmmyes:

For such a historically significant class of ships the absence of Essexes is glaring.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hegel Exercises posted:

:hmmyes:

For such a historically significant class of ships the absence of Essexes is glaring.

Sooner or later they'll bring back odd tiered CVs and there'll be Essexes again.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Complications posted:

Sooner or later they'll bring back odd tiered CVs and there'll be Essexes again.

yay :unsmith:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CitizenKain posted:

Daring. Harugumo got nerfed into the ground and then power crept after that, there's not really any reason to play it anymore. It's arguably worse than the Kitakaze. Then again the Kitakaze is immensely overpowered, so that might not say much.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 31, 2020

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

TheFluff posted:

Daring. Harugumo got nerfed into the ground and then power crept after that, there's not really any reason to play it anymore. It's arguably worse than the Kitakaze. Then again the Kitakaze is immensely overpowered, so that might not say much.

I stopped playing for a bunch of months, what happened to Haru?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cobbsprite posted:

I stopped playing for a bunch of months, what happened to Haru?

Nothing recent, I'm mainly referring to the change that made it take full pen damage from BB AP (the Khabarovsk is the only other DD that also does this). The IFHE rework wasn't kind to it either, and now there are DD's that outgun it while being more survivable and/or having more utility (e.g. Småland, Marceau).

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Harugumo is still a damage monster. It’s just vulnerable to battleship AP where other dds are not, and ships like Smaland and Friesland are competitors in the damage category.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, either Khaba and Haru need to lose the vulnerability to battleship AP, or the other huge gunboat (at the very least the T10 ones) destroyers need to gain it. There's basically zero mechanical sense in Kleber/Marceau not having that same disadvantage.

This isn't the biggest balancing issue, but it's yet another example of incredibly haphazard work by their balancing team.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

So the oddest ship got a buff recently: Mikasa. Due to recent changes in low-level matchmaking the game will auto-populate the match with bots who... like to bum rush you... in a ship with short range but hilarious secondaries... so you'll wind up with this:

The match will always pair you with another Mikasa because no other T2 BB exist sometimes it's a player sometimes it isn't. Either way, easy way to get some flags and its stupid fun.

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2020

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

I probably wouldn’t bother with it at all, but there is a a couple thousand research points behind it. Maybe I’ll wait for a tier 10 discount if they do those again.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Harugumo is still fun and it isn't a bad ship at all, it's just more balanced than some of the other gunboats. It's a sidegrade from the Kitakaze but that's because the Kitakaze is a tier 10 ship in its own right.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
i remember the haragumo being op poo poo and people complaining that it not getting the other DD's overpen change wasn't enough to bring it line
oh how the mighty have fallen

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've actually been playing a few games in my Daring recent for a bit of a change as I dont really play T10 games that much. The thing is a lot of fun, it's got a lot of tools to use, good guns, decent torps, lots of smoke, hydro etc I would recommend if you want a fun and competitive boat to play.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NTRabbit posted:

First one accepted, second one already invalid

Yeah it's the WG special: codes that are valid only for a couple of hours and if you missed them because you were at work or asleep, too bad.

If it's any consolation, the code didn't actually seem to do anything. I had it accepted but didn't get the container mission vOv

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CitizenKain posted:

I probably wouldn’t bother with it at all, but there is a a couple thousand research points behind it. Maybe I’ll wait for a tier 10 discount if they do those again.

They do have t10 discounts, but never over 15% off anymore, and you should have a perma 15% off if you're in a clan anyway so there's no difference.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

ugh speaking of need to get back into a clan, i'm missing those discounts.

joined the discord, 10_Vigilant_Gaze in game if BOATC has room :kiddo:

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 31, 2020

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm thinking of getting back into this after a 2 year break. The last time I played CVs were the old version and there were no subs. Can anyone summarise the big changes? Also are there any incentives/referal codes worth using for a returning player?

Also I seem to have 5.5k doubloons - what are they best used for again?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

5 flags: HELLENICNAVY

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into this after a 2 year break. The last time I played CVs were the old version and there were no subs. Can anyone summarise the big changes? Also are there any incentives/referal codes worth using for a returning player?

Also I seem to have 5.5k doubloons - what are they best used for again?

There are still no subs. Carriers will strike you a lot more often but the individual strikes are usually less devastating. Carrier planes teleport home after their strikes instead of having to fly back. DDs are hosed by the greater air presence because they're spotted more often and carriers have rocket planes now. There are a lot of big gun supercruisers, and battleships with high caliber guns, so don't show your citadel and expect to get overmatched a lot. Almost every match will have radar in it.

Premium time is the best use of money but if you have doubloons you can just hang on to them and use them for misc expenses like demounting modules, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Two "Subscriber" camos. 22YRSOFWARGAMING