Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who has physique on Mike Perry?
This poll is closed.
No One 13 30.95%
Francis N'gannou 29 69.05%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One of the reasons our UFC threads are so good is I never see the term "casual" thrown around like an insult the way I do in literally every other terrible mma discussion outside of here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

I don't know why exactly this exists but uh, sure, why not:

https://i.imgur.com/5UTp5Bz.mp4

Is that Cameo?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jojo looking pretty muscled these days. She's filling into the 125 lb frame.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Is that Cameo?

Nah this was posted by the UFC on BT Sports twitter account, those tweets are sometimes region-locked which is why I reuploaded.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Orange Carlisle posted:

Watching Weidman's fall has been one of my least favorite career arcs in MMA

Eh, Weidman was a bit overrated. Beating old Brazilian men and Kelvin Gastelum isn't that great of a resume. I mean, he had a decent fight with Luke Rockhold until he tried spinning poo poo.

Yoel Romero slowly breaking his spirit with superior wrestling was fascinating until he murdered him with a knee to the head. That was the real beginning of the end.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Forceholy posted:

Eh, Weidman was a bit overrated. Beating old Brazilian men and Kelvin Gastelum isn't that great of a resume.

:stare:

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Is Weidman on the list of fighters who declined as soon as USADA started? The Rockhold fight and the beginning of his horrific brain damage streak was Dec 2015, USADA started June 2015.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

We discussed that a page or two back. The consensus was that less than doping, the IV ban for hydration probably affected his weight cutting technique.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It's a bit narrow to say all Weidman did was beat up old Brazilians, but it's also a fair criticism since Silva, Machida, and Belfort were all out of their primes. However they are all time greats.

Also, the guys Weidman did lose to are good fighters and he had moments of looking good against all of them. (I think).

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Whoops, went back and read it.

Also about Whittaker's striking, was the Till fight the first time he's used takedowns/feinted takedowns to set up his overhands? I don't remember him doing that against Adesanya or even against Thompson, so maybe he's starting to gameplan against rangey kickboxers.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Toksai posted:

Whoops, went back and read it.

Also about Whittaker's striking, was the Till fight the first time he's used takedowns/feinted takedowns to set up his overhands? I don't remember him doing that against Adesanya or even against Thompson, so maybe he's starting to gameplan against rangey kickboxers.

To be clear, I wasn't faulting you for not knowing it was discussed recently. Just wanted to point out that it was easily searched if you wanted to see the full discussion rather than taking my word on a summary :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

beep by grandpa posted:

One of the reasons our UFC threads are so good is I never see the term "casual" thrown around like an insult the way I do in literally every other terrible mma discussion outside of here

you would say that, casual

also, i can't remember the last time I saw an unironic "do you even train, bro?" post. pspmma is good

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I know this is the UFC thread but this news feels bigger than the B-League thread: Tito Ortiz is running for Huntington Beach city council so we may soon have constant access to public Titospeak in an official capacity.

He wants to outlive his constituents. Five days a week, he supports his community three days a week. He can tell Huntington Beach how they're feeling right now. This fall, vote for Tito Ortiz this April.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Does anyone have Tito's email. I am in the market for career opportunities and figure I could give campaign management a crack.

e: speechwriting might be more in my wheelhouse, I have more relevant experience to that and it would be fascinating to get firsthand knowledge into the language processing part of Tito's brain, when I can see the words I gave him to speak and then hear what corresponding sounds come out of his mouth.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 29, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Does anyone have Tito's email.

Nobody does, least of all Tito Ortiz.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Cutelaba playing possum then getting salty when the fight was stopped falls under the same category as when fighters crawl in the opening moments of a fight to stop hail Mary head kicks - not illegal but very dumb and you will get no sympathy from me when it backfires

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

“Tito” posted:

Hello steamed fellow council people and the honorable major. I am, of course, councilman Ortiz and I just wanted to let you all know that my proposal to add four or five new playgrounds to the playground didn’t pass because it had two broken amendments that require surgery but I wanted to push through with the votes we had. Also, the budget for it tore during the vote but I’m not here to make excuses, just to explanate what went down in this very council room of the day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1288535854189703169

I still have no context for this.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

just a reminder that an MMA promotion with delusions of grandeur once hired Tito Ortiz to be its in-ring interviewer.

why yes, this promotion was also financially backed by Donald Trump, why do you ask

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bluedeanie posted:

Does anyone have Tito's email. I am in the market for career opportunities and figure I could give campaign management a crack.

e: speechwriting might be more in my wheelhouse, I have more relevant experience to that and it would be fascinating to get firsthand knowledge into the language processing part of Tito's brain, when I can see the words I gave him to speak and then hear what corresponding sounds come out of his mouth.

I hope you're get a this job and the first speech is just the GDT OP you wrote that time

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I hope you're get a this job and the first speech is just the GDT OP you wrote that time

you better be talking about the UFC 209 OP he wrote in the style of one Nicholas R. Diaz

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bluedeanie posted:

I'd suggest using titodick.jpg as a yard sign if you get the job. "If elected, Tito will stand up FOR YOU!"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Toksai posted:

I feel like he did against Yoel? The Jack Slack video showed him doing the same with jabs on Natal.
Since Till's southpaw, it makes sense to try to get more range off of the feint. Though he was throwing those shots with such abandon -- it seemed like he really wanted to get Till out of there early.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Brut posted:

I still have no context for this.

Jojo is on Saturday's card, BT sports is a UK channel, so they're promoting her in an incredibly odd yet endearing way

I think. it's hard to know what UFC's marketing department is doing at any given moment

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kimbo305 posted:

Is that Cameo?

As a hoot, I checked to see which fighters were on Cameo and how much they charge.

Ion Cutelaba charges $400 per video

Not to be outdone, Dan Hooker's price tag is $1000, which is the exact same as Manny Pacquiao and one dollar more than Floyd Mayweather.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

rideANDxORdie posted:

Cutelaba playing possum then getting salty when the fight was stopped falls under the same category as when fighters crawl in the opening moments of a fight to stop hail Mary head kicks - not illegal but very dumb and you will get no sympathy from me when it backfires

I don’t remember him even looking that much like he was out on his feet or playing possum. He was just swaying and throwing wild punches, which is pretty baseline for him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jojo is on Saturday's card, BT sports is a UK channel, so they're promoting her in an incredibly odd yet endearing way

I think. it's hard to know what UFC's marketing department is doing at any given moment

Well yeah that answers all the obvious questions, but not how they came up with having her quote a bunch of old UFC moments, though I'm not trying to say it is a bad idea either.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

As a hoot, I checked to see which fighters were on Cameo and how much they charge.

Ion Cutelaba charges $400 per video

Not to be outdone, Dan Hooker's price tag is $1000, which is the exact same as Manny Pacquiao and one dollar more than Floyd Mayweather.

tito is just $175. if we ask him to say bluedeanie is his speech writer, that's a verbal agreement

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what? You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?

beep by grandpa posted:

Expecting everyone to have some crazy understanding of martial arts and needing a verbal resume ready just to talk about mma is the worst part about mma. Goons or guys at my gym only for the sake of my own sanity.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1gkh02ILDk
Smesh

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Some mma Twitter person is claiming khamzat flew to Dublin after the NYC dolly incident looking to smesh. Could be bullshit, but Kavanaugh posted video stills of two fellas stealing bikes from outside SBG that *could* be the guy? hosed if i know

https://twitter.com/ThaWeasle/status/1288592625021456384?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Some mma Twitter person is claiming khamzat flew to Dublin after the NYC dolly incident looking to smesh. Could be bullshit, but Kavanaugh posted video stills of two fellas stealing bikes from outside SBG that *could* be the guy? hosed if i know

https://twitter.com/ThaWeasle/status/1288592625021456384?s=20

Khamzat posted that himself

https://twitter.com/KChimaev/status/1288579642031407104

But I'm pretty sure it's a joke and people are just running with it.

Also I've already seen 2 fake Khamzat twitter accounts, that even tricked some journalists (@kchimaevv and @khamzatchimaev).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I figured a grain of salt may be necessary when my source is named after a 1990s paulie shore alter ego lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Per a Russian interview, khamzat said he was stopped by cops i guess

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...impression=true

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Hmm, I'll listen to it in about an hour and see if he seems serious.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

moctopus posted:

Also, the guys Weidman did lose to are good fighters and he had moments of looking good against all of them. (I think).

He looked good in the early going against Rockhold and then got loving brutalised after the wheel kick attempt from too close. He was probably winning the fight against Romero until Romero did Romero poo poo. He was doing alright against Mousasi until he tried to game the system with hands on the ground. I think he's a spectacular athletic and fighting talent who rode those talents to the top, with a high but not quite high enough fight IQ to stay there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Chris Weidman was very good for a period of time, I don't think we need to perform retroactive MMA calculus on everyone he ever beat just because he eventually stopped being good. It's a fickle rear end sport and some people just have short peaks for a variety of reasons.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Brut posted:

Hmm, I'll listen to it in about an hour and see if he seems serious.

Just listened to it, seems like he was serious. Said it was a while ago when his English wasn't good enough to understand them properly, got held at the airport for a little while eventually they let him through, then got picked up by some local police he's not sure which, held for 8 hours but not questioned, eventually got put on a plane back to Sweden either without explanation or at least without one that he understood. Doesn't sound like he's super proud of the decision, seems to have a much better understanding now that he shouldn't gently caress his career up now that he's got people watching him.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann booked for UFC 253

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Brut posted:

Just listened to it, seems like he was serious. Said it was a while ago when his English wasn't good enough to understand them properly, got held at the airport for a little while eventually they let him through, then got picked up by some local police he's not sure which, held for 8 hours but not questioned, eventually got put on a plane back to Sweden either without explanation or at least without one that he understood. Doesn't sound like he's super proud of the decision, seems to have a much better understanding now that he shouldn't gently caress his career up now that he's got people watching him.

thank you for the deeper meaning/nuance, sincerely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Memento posted:

He looked good in the early going against Rockhold and then got loving brutalised after the wheel kick attempt from too close. He was probably winning the fight against Romero until Romero did Romero poo poo. He was doing alright against Mousasi until he tried to game the system with hands on the ground. I think he's a spectacular athletic and fighting talent who rode those talents to the top, with a high but not quite high enough fight IQ to stay there.

It's been a bit but he seemed to fade pretty bad around that era too. Like he got tired and just made a real bad choice.