Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Ima gonna go with Grey / Anastasia from now on.

Yes, I know the book is not actually about consensual kink but is actually about a very rich guy using positional authority to get a woman drunk a lot and doing poo poo to her that she’s not into. I’m just making a funny dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
All the accountants are sitting back with a smug look on their face as this argument rages.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Yes, I know the book is not actually about consensual kink but is actually about a very rich guy using positional authority to get a woman drunk a lot and doing poo poo to her that she’s not into. I’m just making a funny dammit.

but enough about how mongodb replication works under the hood

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Time to change the subject. Where's our Mitch Meltdown update???

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

My favorite piece of trivia about this is that the story was originally twilight fanfic

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Geemer posted:

You're both right and I'm sorry for bringing this poo poo into the thread. I've been pretty stressed lately and it's loving with my mind. Thanks for putting the mirror in front of me.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I can only speak for myself, but I was not offended. :sun:

Take some time to de-stress, smoke some weed if that's your thing.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Time to change the subject. Where's our Mitch Meltdown update???

Yeah HEY SFWARLOCK WHERE'S THAT UPDATE.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

dragonshardz posted:

HEY SFWARLOCK WHERE'S THAT UPDATE.

That poo poo needs to go in the OP!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sfwarlock posted:

Oh, and I have a Mitch update/meltdown. stay tuned.
:f5::f5::f5:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been specializing in a system that has Overlord, Middle-Managers, Supervisors and Peons

Where does Sales fit in?

Kyrosiris posted:

Furthering that, if the attitudes that created "white = good, always okay; black = bad, never okay" fade away through social pressure and it no longer being "well that's how it's always been" level thought, then real change might come on its heels.

Plus, these sorts of changes are good at getting chuds to reveal themselves. :v: We actually had some dude go off in a public slack channel about "who even cares, black people don't work in tech" after our CEO announced the formation of an internal change board to look into how to gracefully rename things like whitelist/blacklist, etc.

The group is headed up by a black woman. The announcement came right after one of my teammates who's a black guy got a promotion announced. :v:

(He ended up getting fired after the "hey what the gently caress was that" inquiry ended up with him doubling down on it)

A satisfying outcome, but the outright bigots are easy. It's the subtle ones that are dangerous.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stop this derail right now please.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CLAM DOWN posted:

Stop this derail right now please.

But sfwarlock hasn't told us the conclusion yet! :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

But sfwarlock hasn't told us the conclusion yet! :ohdear:

This is where I come clean: I'm Mitch. You're all hosed now.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

YOU GOT HIM!

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought Canadians were chill?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
While we wait for sfwarlock, I bring a small update from my previous job.

According to student moles, and in the most technical of terms... "poo poo's really super hosed"

Apparently the new Tech Coordinator has NO clue how to do anything tech related.

They have lost control of emails. Upwards of 700 spam and phishing emails to every mailbox every day.

They can't do anything because he somehow managed to push out an image of a decade old laptop to every network attached computer on campus.
He texted me wanting to know "where in all these drawers you keep the Windows Disk?"

He doesn't know what VLSC is.
He doesn't know what AD is.
He doesn't know what RADIUS is.
He doesn't know... anything.

And he has no desire to learn or figure it out.
He has given up a week into this job.

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving amazing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

According to student moles, and in the most technical of terms... "poo poo's really super hosed"

Apparently the new Tech Coordinator has NO clue how to do anything tech related.

They have lost control of emails. Upwards of 700 spam and phishing emails to every mailbox every day.

They can't do anything because he somehow managed to push out an image of a decade old laptop to every network attached computer on campus.
He texted me wanting to know "where in all these drawers you keep the Windows Disk?"

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.

I love this, I need more.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Was this someone who actually applied for the job or a homeless guy off the street?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She mentioned before that they were recruiting new grads from community college for the position.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She mentioned before that they were recruiting new grads from community college for the position.

Probably lying like mad to convince them, too.

(Also I had the WEIRDEST moment of joy on larches' behalf reading that.)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's not the new persons fault. Obviously larches sabotaged the position and department before leaving

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have no idea how much money they'd have to spend for an MSP to come in and fix it all.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenNight posted:

I have no idea how much money they'd have to spend for an MSP to come in and fix it all.

$yacht, at minimum, I bet.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the new "coordinator" is just a teacher they threw into that position because really, how hard could it be? :suicide101:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Somebody with a relative who is Good With Computers

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenNight posted:

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but we had an MSP (sort of, mostly consulting) on payroll for stuff. We paid them about $38k a year for 24/7 on-call. It was really cheap vs hiring another warm body to sit in the department.

Anyways, they saved my bacon more than once. I told my replacement to use them every possible chance. They're an invaluable resource.

He hasn't called them once.

dragonshardz posted:

(Also I had the WEIRDEST moment of joy on larches' behalf reading that.)

:carol:

Marcade posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the new "coordinator" is just a teacher they threw into that position because really, how hard could it be? :suicide101:

The guy apparently used to be some techy boy for one dorm at a community college. Now he runs the technology for an entire school district.

I say "runs" loosely, and mostly mean he's hiding in his office with all the mold not doing poo poo.

Just like I used to do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

larchesdanrew posted:

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.

and this took just HOW long to pull off? :psyduck:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shugojin posted:

and this took just HOW long to pull off? :psyduck:

I moved on the 2nd.

They hired this guy two weeks ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.

Reply: "I cannot help you, and may God have mercy upon your soul."

larchesdanrew posted:

I moved on the 2nd.

They hired this guy two weeks ago.

0.o
It would take me longer than that just to try and figure out what/where everything was. I wouldn't be pushing buttons for like a month.
I'm just a desktop guy, and I know what all those things you listed are. I just... wow.

Even an experienced person would need some time to get the lay of the land, without benefit of a hand-off or knowledge transfer. And they just dumped this n00b in there. Yikes.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Agrikk posted:

I've never seen the animated children's movie Anastasia, and I thought for a minute I had totally misunderstood the premise of that movie.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

larchesdanrew posted:

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.
Looks like he figured out SCCM at least.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

Looks like he figured out SCCM at least.

Actually my money is on "he turned on the norton ghost server laptop that still had dhcp enabled that everyone forgot about and plugged it into the employee network"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

The guy apparently used to be some techy boy for one dorm at a community college. Now he runs the technology for an entire school district.

I say "runs" loosely, and mostly mean he's hiding in his office with all the mold not doing poo poo.

Just like I used to do.
There needs to be a word for that sense of satisfaction you get when you leave a place and hear that you were the only thing keeping all the tech running. I hope this has sent your confidence through the roof larches.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An (internal) EEOC investigation into Boss^4's conduct came in.

I was asked to meet with the investigator today and a lot of my answers were along the line sof "I have not personally witnessed, nor heard secondhand, that particular behavior, but it would not surprise me."

Boss^4's tenure also coincides with a lot of HIGH EXPECTATIONS (that are poorly communicated) and treating people differently based on their job title rather than their actual job skills.

So...we'll see how things shake out!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

I made it 4.5 years.

I am the record holder.

Please, please, say your reply text was "That doesn't concern me"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please, please, say your reply text was "That doesn't concern me"

The reply text should have been "Please do the needful".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GreenNight posted:

The reply text should have been "Please do the needful".
and revert

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

There needs to be a word for that sense of satisfaction you get when you leave a place and hear that you were the only thing keeping all the tech running. I hope this has sent your confidence through the roof larches.

Honestly, at this point seeing my entire old life quite literally going up in flames (there was a fire, but I gotta ration these tales, ya know) doesn’t fill me with all that much satisfaction. Just a really deep sadness that I spent so many years in a series of the professional equivalent of abusive relationships.

None of that was made more evident than working for a place that actually appreciates me. I’ve gotten so many compliments for my work this week. I’ve had people I haven’t had much contact with checking in to see how I’m settling in. I had a client get pissy and begin purposefully misgendering me and they were officially off-boarded within, like, half an hour of my bringing it up to the owner.

It’s the very opposite of everything I’ve experienced in the last 15 years of being in this industry and it’s really helping me to actually appreciate myself. Who ever would have thought that internalized disappointment is so heavily motivated by external relationships.

Anyways, point being I am powerful and unstoppable and I am flourishing.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

larchesdanrew posted:

None of that was made more evident than working for a place that actually appreciates me. I’ve gotten so many compliments for my work this week. I’ve had people I haven’t had much contact with checking in to see how I’m settling in. I had a client get pissy and begin purposefully misgendering me and they were officially off-boarded within, like, half an hour of my bringing it up to the owner.

That says something really good about your new place.

(It's the type of employee-protection that everyone is entitled to, but sadly, few receive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, point being I am powerful and unstoppable and I am flourishing.

Pack everything up and go home, folks.

You will never see anything better on the internet than Larches saying this.