Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There's zero reason to show gameplay until you actually have to. No one is going to care that Fable only had a 60 second CGI reveal if they show off gameplay 18 months from now that looks sweet. If you show gameplay before you want to then you get Craig the Ambivalent Brute, but unfortunately Halo has to launch this Fall.

Fable, Forza, Avowed etc., and some of the Sony games, could almost certainly show some early gameplay now. There's just no reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are selling a console with a 2 year hype campaign tho

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Real hurthling! posted:

I played sod2 for like 3-4 hours and was already tired by a -no kidding- 12 actual mississipi second countdown every time you scavenge items silently (90% of the game)

Then i fell through the world and my xb1s crashed
Yeah the scavenging thing needs work badly. It just takes so long

It also got irritating with how one of the good larger bases on one map is right at the corner of an intersection where at least one horde is always spawning. Sometimes it's two. So it's real fun every time you return to base and then have to fight off hordes breaking down your gates.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

They are selling a console with a 2 year hype campaign tho

GamePass and Halo are the most immediate concerns, so that's what the conference focused on, and I don't think selling boxes is going to be an issue for the first couple of years anyway. Lots of people have essentially an entire library of games already paid for for the next year or two, and I think it's reasonable to expect them to want to buy a new Xbox with the "savings" to play better versions of those games.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Then why release a box at all if they don't want to sell it

What a dumb argument

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

isnt gamepass like 10 million subs, i dont think its a good idea to lean on it to sell follow up hardware to the gen where both your competitors have or 100% will crack 100 million units

Anno
May 10, 2017

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Then why release a box at all if they don't want to sell it

What a dumb argument

They do want to sell it, and they'll sell a good amount of them. Just not as many as Nintendo or Sony.

Stux posted:

isnt gamepass like 10 million subs, i dont think its a good idea to lean on it to sell follow up hardware to the gen where both your competitors have or 100% will crack 100 million units

That's like 1 out of every 5 people who've purchased an Xbox this generation, and it's a compelling reason to stay within the ecosystem and buy the next iteration of the console. Obviously some of those people are PC players, but I can't imagine it's a huge number comparatively. They know they aren't going to compete with Sony or Nintendo in selling hardware but they'll work on doing what they can while expanding outside of the console ecosystem.

Like, who knows if 5 years from now their strategy has worked. But at least it's an interesting one, and at least they have one at all. That's a big improvement over last time around.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 30, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They absolutely had a strategy last time around.

Anno
May 10, 2017

They obviously had one when the console was being developed and launched, I just think it sank immediately. There was never any momentum towards following through on their “own the living room”/multimedia strategy or whatever. It was a console handicapped in every way from the jump.

Who knows, maybe the current bet blows up in their face, too. I just don’t think it will. All three console makers are playing different angles this time around so at least it’ll be more interested to watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Anno posted:

They obviously had one when the console was being developed and launched, I just think it sank immediately. There was never any momentum towards following through on their “own the living room”/multimedia strategy or whatever. It was a console handicapped in every way from the jump.

Who knows, maybe the current bet blows up in their face, too. I just don’t think it will. All three console makers are playing different angles this time around so at least it’ll be more interested to watch.
I still don't understand how you want to make it your primary living room device but there was no DVR functionality on launch

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Initial surveys in the UK at least have an 84/15 PS5 to Series X interest ratio, apparently.

It actually kind of makes sense in that literally everything Xbox showed in their presentation can be played without the new Xbox, or even without any Xbox if you’re willing to stream it or have a gaming-tier PC.

If you own an Xbox One currently, there is literally nothing coming out in the next year-ish (possibly longer) that will be inaccessible to you.

Halo Infinite is also demonstrating the same problem the Xbox One had at launch where games weren’t a significant improvement over the later games of the preceding generation and cross-gen titles were just not meaningfully different on the XB1. Like you could have told me that Halo Infinite footage was the Xbox One X version, because we’ve seen games look like that on XB1X.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The no true Series X exclusive thing is completely bewildering to me, but as someone who quite likes Obsidian's games and can't get back into my Xbox account for all manner of stupid reasons, I'm glad of it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does it even really matter when basically every major third party title is going cross-platform play?

I really dont have any interest in PS exclusives, the only reason for me to buy one is if the next COD or battlefield games arent cross-play, which COD already has and Battlefield will likely do as well (NFS Heat is on frostbite engine, that has cross play, and its not anywhere near as popular as Battlefield is)

so if I *really* wanted to, I could buy a series X, still play all my xbox one X games, and still play MP games with my non-xbox friends. I still have 2 years og gamepass ultimate too. The new PS5 controller doesnt look like a significant improvement over anything already on the market and my elite V2 will work on the series X too.

I realise I could also keep my one X and buy a PS5 and the outcome is still the same (buy PS5, keep my one X, games, GP ultimate sub and controller). My point is, why would I buy a playstation if Im not into their exclusives and Im content with the value I get from Xbox and its services?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

When phil took over he basically destroyed a games pipeline that was kicking sonys rear end in the launch window imo (recall that "ps4 has no games" was the meme thru 2014) and replaced it with "wait til e3" and a lot of shady bullshit.

Yes. It's worth reminding that this generation had a pretty rocky start with loving Resogun being the best PS4 launch title. It's a big reason why indie games sold so well on it initially.

Real hurthling! posted:

Sorry to ramble.

My main worry about Gamepass is if it will push the Games as Service model even further than it currently is. Halo following that path and Fable hinting at it doesn't inspire confidence.

Barudak posted:

Gamepass has more than 10 million subscribers in Q1(?) and last quarter they had their "best subscriber growth ever". They've also mentioned its profitable for them which I don't find particularly unreasonable given the totals and what we know they paid even for bigger titles like DMCV.

That said from a pure marketing standpoint their messaging is still messed up as hell and its utterly baffling to me that they havent figured out why over 7 years

I find it hard to believe that they are profitable.

10 million subscribers paying a bit less than $10 per month on average comes out to the average cost of one major AAA title.

univbee posted:

Initial surveys in the UK at least have an 84/15 PS5 to Series X interest ratio, apparently.

It actually kind of makes sense in that literally everything Xbox showed in their presentation can be played without the new Xbox, or even without any Xbox if you’re willing to stream it or have a gaming-tier PC.

If you own an Xbox One currently, there is literally nothing coming out in the next year-ish (possibly longer) that will be inaccessible to you.

Halo Infinite is also demonstrating the same problem the Xbox One had at launch where games weren’t a significant improvement over the later games of the preceding generation and cross-gen titles were just not meaningfully different on the XB1. Like you could have told me that Halo Infinite footage was the Xbox One X version, because we’ve seen games look like that on XB1X.

There isn't anything interesting on the Xbox Series X period. Its main selling point was that it's the most powerful console in existence and Microsoft has been trying to avoid that fact like the plague as it is clear they want to release many SKUs of the console.

American McGay posted:

How many PS5 trailers showed gameplay? I'm not trying to troll I just honestly don't remember and the two presentations seemed pretty similar to me.

Rachet and Clank
Sackboy
Astro Boy
Horizon 2
Oddworld
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Kena: Bridge of Spirits

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 30, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

Does it even really matter when basically every major third party title is going cross-platform play?

I really dont have any interest in PS exclusives, the only reason for me to buy one is if the next COD or battlefield games arent cross-play, which COD already has and Battlefield will likely do as well (NFS Heat is on frostbite engine, that has cross play, and its not anywhere near as popular as Battlefield is)

so if I *really* wanted to, I could buy a series X, still play all my xbox one X games, and still play MP games with my non-xbox friends. I still have 2 years og gamepass ultimate too. The new PS5 controller doesnt look like a significant improvement over anything already on the market and my elite V2 will work on the series X too.

I realise I could also keep my one X and buy a PS5 and the outcome is still the same (buy PS5, keep my one X, games, GP ultimate sub and controller). My point is, why would I buy a playstation if Im not into their exclusives and Im content with the value I get from Xbox and its services?

Dont like sony's exclusives = get a pc and keep your 1x for 360 games in my opinion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Laserface posted:

My point is, why would I buy a playstation if Im not into their exclusives and Im content with the value I get from Xbox and its services?

You wouldn't, but given the state of the market, you're in the minority and Microsoft would, I Imagine, be looking to expand beyond that. The bigger question is why would someone who's into Microsoft's exclusives buy a Series X anytime in the next two - three years?

Everything about the Series X has the feeling of Microsoft doing it because they feel obligated to, rather than because they want to.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Dont like sony's exclusives = get a pc and keep your 1x for 360 games in my opinion.

A bit of a secret is that "high end PC gaming" has been growing substantial over the years to the point where there are more or less as many people playing big budget console games on PCs as there are Xbox One owners. Games like Resident Evil 2 and Nier: Automata sold as much on PC as it's XBox One or PS4 counter parts, with Dark Souls being king on PC.

People always say PC and consoles don't compete with one another and while that has historically been true, it's becoming less and less the case.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 30, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

A bit of a secret is that "high end PC gaming" has been growing substantial over the years to the point where there are more or less as many people playing big budget console games on PCs as there are Xbox One owners.

Yeah but theres nothing that wont run 1080p60 on midrange machines. I love my 1070 still. Probably keep it 2-3 more years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah but theres nothing that wont run 1080p60 on midrange machines. I love my 1070 still. Probably keep it 2-3 more years.

Keep in mind "mid-range" is still considered high end, at least relative to the market. The vast majority of people game on laptops. It's why I singled out high end PCs explicitly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it hard to believe that they are profitable.

10 million subscribers paying a bit less than $10 per month on average comes out to the average cost of one major AAA title.

Microsoft isn't launching a triple A game a month* (arguably a year hiyooooo!) though. They paid 19 million for DMCV, which even assuming they average half the monthly price for their subscription still would have left over 31 million for the month for whatever else they signed.

*Also triple A games cost way more than this when you factor in all costs as well as the fact games still sell off of gamepass in droves a la Sea of Thieves

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh i get you now! Yeah i was gonna say i thought steam data had very low %'s of sick rigs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I have done PC gaming in the past and despite being totally capable of building PCs, I prefer consoles. There is not a single thing anyone can say to me to convince me that I should be gaming on a PC instead, given the titles I wanna play.

I prefer controllers over mouse/kbd, I prefer couch to desk, I have a desktop mac I use for any heavy computing already (which isnt much) and while i could convince my non-techy friends to get into PC gaming I definitely do not want to become their tech support either.

Ive got a nice 4K OLED and the one X is serving me well right now, I definitely am in the 'wait and see' category on the series X since my TV is only 2 years old and I dont really want to be upgrading that for a while (so things like VRR, HDMI 2.1 etc that the new console brings doesnt apply to me)

4K60 gaming is doable on what I have now. The only reason I have to upgrade to a Series X is if the next battlefield, COD or Bioshock games are next-gen exclusives, which doesnt sound like its going to be the case at all, and I would only upgrade if/when those games come out.

so yeah, I guess MS made a convincing case for keeping my current hardware?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my pc is on a tv in the living room im 10 feet from it and my panel right now typing this. its an experience that is very close to being perfect but issues pop up here and there. its cool that more and more pc games have hdr support for tvs too. its not for everyone though but it lets me play on xbl with better fps/load times than the xb1s i used to use

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 30, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nothing is going to be 'exclusive' per se, except if you want the game to not look or perform like rear end. At least I hope thats the case. gently caress trying to make games work for the OG xb1, that's like making a game scale from an apple watch to a pc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

Microsoft isn't launching a triple A game a month* (arguably a year hiyooooo!) though. They paid 19 million for DMCV, which even assuming they average half the monthly price for their subscription still would have left over 31 million for the month for whatever else they signed.

*Also triple A games cost way more than this when you factor in all costs as well as the fact games still sell off of gamepass in droves a la Sea of Thieves

I was more so referring to the fact that some people expect Gamepass and it's inevitable competition to take over as the primary source of game distribution.

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh i get you now! Yeah i was gonna say i thought steam data had very low %'s of sick rigs

Yes. Steam has almost 100 million active users but only around half of them have computers that are able to even run the latest and greatest releases. That still totals to ~50 million PC gamers who participate in the PS4/Xbox One lineup.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nothing is going to be 'exclusive' per se, except if you want the game to not look or perform like rear end. At least I hope thats the case. gently caress trying to make games work for the OG xb1, that's like making a game scale from an apple watch to a pc.

I mean to be fair there are a fair amount of Switch ports that work well. I can see Microsoft ditching the OG Xbox One by late 2022 and the Xbox One X the year after.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 30, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well this sucked away any passing interest I had in flight simulator, holy boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAz_eSDoWqY

My 75 year old dad, who cares about flight simulators like zoomers care about fortnite, surprisingly has no interest in it either. He literally wanted us to talk about his flight simulator bullshit at his funeral.

"Not terribly interested to try it. Looks nice, but I have a lot invested in X-Plane and am quite happy with the level of realism I get with orthophoto scenery, custom overlays, custom airports, high quality aircraft, and high quality device emulation. For example, the Garmin GTN 750 I have in some aircraft runs actual Garmin software that is nearly 100% accurate to the real-life device. Pilots can train with it."

For once I thought we may be able to bond with something lol

Edit: ok this makes it look better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATahhemFbH0

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 30, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One thing I haven't seen talked about too much is how much Xcloud is going to factor into next gen.

IF they can get it working with the entire Xbox library, and I really think if anyone can, it's MS, then there'll be even LESS reason to buy a Series X.
Like if they do a Gamepass and Xcloud bundle, why would I spend whatever on a new console when I could stream any new game for €10?
I do realise game streaming is quite bad but if MS can get it working a bit better than Stadia then I think that's gonna be a huge factor.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

do you reckon microsoft made money back yet from buying mojang?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Well this sucked away any passing interest I had in flight simulator, holy boring

My 75 year old dad, who cares about flight simulators like zoomers care about fortnite, surprisingly has no interest in it either. He literally wanted us to talk about his flight simulator bullshit at his funeral.

"Not terribly interested to try it. Looks nice, but I have a lot invested in X-Plane and am quite happy with the level of realism I get with orthophoto scenery, custom overlays, custom airports, high quality aircraft, and high quality device emulation. For example, the Garmin GTN 750 I have in some aircraft runs actual Garmin software that is nearly 100% accurate to the real-life device. Pilots can train with it."

For some people, flying jetliners at proper altitude and airport profiles is great, but for most of us, that is incredibly boring.

Fly low and fast in something small, find pretty scenery, do stuff you wouldn't be able to do in real life.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah, that last video makes it look super fun. Athough I can't imagine doing anything other in this game than to take out a stunt plane and zoom between buildings and landmarks.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Xakura posted:

For some people, flying jetliners at proper altitude and airport profiles is great, but for most of us, that is incredibly boring.

Fly low and fast in something small, find pretty scenery, do stuff you wouldn't be able to do in real life.

Yeah I'm more of a geography/city planning nerd so the satellite map stuff is what appeals to me. Hope towers are actually 3d outside of the CBD areas like my inner city hood.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

quote:

Minimum systemrequirements
You will be able to install and run FS2020 when your system meets the minimal requirements set by Microsoft. Please note that Flight Simulator won't look at superb as it looks like in the movies published by Microsoft, as they used an ideal system for this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, or Intel i5-4460
GPU: Radeon RX 570, or Nvidia GTX 700
VRAM: 2 GB
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: 150 GB
Internetspeed: 5 Mbps (0.6 MB/s)
Recommended systemrequirements
Do you want a smooth Flight Simulator 2020 experience? If average graphics are good enough for you you need at least the speciaifcations below for your computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, or Intel i5-8400
GPU: Radeon RX 590, or Nvidia GTX 970
VRAM: 4 GB
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 150 GB
Internetspeed: 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s)
Ideal systemrequirements
Do you want to get the most out of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and would you like to be stunned by all details this new Flightsim has to offer, including its breathtaking sceneries? Then you do need a heavy PC, including fast internet connection.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X, or Intel i7-9800X
GPU: Radeon VII, or Nvidia RTX 2080
VRAM: 8 GB
RAM: 32 GB
HDD: 150 GB SSD
Internetspeed: 50 Mbps (6.3 MB/s)

I'm curious if the CDN/Azure for this same is the same CDN/Azure that hosts Office 365, Xbox Live, etc. a bunch of people hammering this poo poo at 50Mbps on Day 1 is going to bring some Countries ISPs peering links to Microsoft to a grinding halt. Ready for some Office 365 outages/slowness.

Probably a good beta test for Xcloud

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 30, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anno posted:

There's zero reason to show gameplay until you actually have to. No one is going to care that Fable only had a 60 second CGI reveal if they show off gameplay 18 months from now that looks sweet. If you show gameplay before you want to then you get Craig the Ambivalent Brute, but unfortunately Halo has to launch this Fall.

Fable, Forza, Avowed etc., and some of the Sony games, could almost certainly show some early gameplay now. There's just no reason to.

Lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

My main worry about Gamepass is if it will push the Games as Service model even further than it currently is. Halo following that path and Fable hinting at it doesn't inspire confidence.

Gamepass has yet to make a day one offering of a single player only game. Halo: Infinite is in fact the closest they will come to that, but Halo's popularity is almost entirely predicated on its multiplayer and there could well be a microtransaction component to it like there is with Halo 5.

When Sony was being pressured by customers to include its games on PS Now they made it pretty clear that they weren't going to because it didn't make sense to economically with the games they were selling. Much as people like God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima etc. they are games with fixed endpoints and no multiplayer.

I'm not even sure I could see any games exclusively leveraging this model. Like a lot of people who play certain competitive online games like sports, fighting and major shooter titles (Call of Duty) are financially poor. They probably got a PS4 via some miracle (e.g. they or their equally poor parents bending over backwards and raising $200 for a Black Friday or used console). If they get hyper-focused on one particular game they need a way to definitively "own" that game. Gamepass doesn't offer that especially if the game in question eventually gets rotated out.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I do realise game streaming is quite bad but if MS can get it working a bit better than Stadia then I think that's gonna be a huge factor.

From beta testing xCloud it seems to be on par with Stadia in terms of performance.

There is absolutely no way cloud gaming is going to be some exclusive or even heavily used system relative to the population as a whole, internet simply isn't reliable enough for everybody. I'm doing tech support for students where I work just trying to get Microsoft Teams working reliably for remote lectures and some of these connections they have at home are impressively dogshit. It's not an accident that Microsoft is offering it as an extra to an existing subscription and not charging separately for the feature exclusively, it's just not possible to guarantee performance with the internet being what it is.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

univbee posted:

Gamepass has yet to make a day one offering of a single player only game.

Outer World's

And Outer Wilds thinking about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

From beta testing xCloud it seems to be on par with Stadia in terms of performance.

There is absolutely no way cloud gaming is going to be some exclusive or even heavily used system relative to the population as a whole, internet simply isn't reliable enough for everybody.

Yeah for sure, I'll never believe in game streaming but if it means I can play some of the newer Xbox games on my One S without buying a new console, I'd be all over that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Streets of Rage 4
Carrion

Depending how you feel about late arrivals to the system Yakuza games, DQXI

Regardless of how you feel about them Yakuza 7

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gah, I thought I included the new $60 AAA caveat but hosed up that post, like I do with all my posts. Was Outer Worlds that price?

It’s good that there are decent day one offerings in the lower-price bracket, though, no argument there.

Barudak posted:

Regardless of how you feel about them Yakuza 7

Yakuza 7’s not coming to Game Pass Day One.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

you wouldnt, youre the exact market theyre aiming for. its just not a very large market overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free