Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

BabyFur Denny posted:

This article seems to be of a different opinion:

A lot of female players who have come forward claiming to have been part of the consultation have suggested that the articles being posted are cherry-picking information in order to spin their own narrative agendas, and that discussions have progressed on much further past the point of discussion that was "leaked" to The Guardian.

From my experience, the idea that "player safety takes priority over inclusion" isn't actually in line with the messaging and support that the Welsh Rugby Union are putting forwards to it's clubs, and I imagine that messaging is in line with the IRB's overall messaging, which is absolutely still a message of "rugby is for everyone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

quote:

yes it is but how is it fair if a 6ft 6 120kg transgender person goes on to play rugby and a player tries to tackle them when they are running at full speed. they are going to get injured even with amazing technique. I think they should not be stopped but I think a lot of thought and research needs to go in to it first so as not to put either side at risk of injury but also to make sure that everyone can be included.

its not a bad argument I have seen amateur players break their necks when they have tried to tackle a much larger player. The professional game is something completely different. I have also had it where someone has tried to tackle me last season and they were much smaller and I ended up dislocating their shoulder, breaking their nose and knocking themselves out.

I think ive found the dumbass at my work

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I think ive found the dumbass at my work

Someone better tell Aotearoa Mata'u to get off the pitch, shes 6ft tall and 133kg.

The number of people this applies to is vanishingly small. If they want to do anything set testosterone limits, which they probably already have, and leave it at that. Using the injury angle is just pathetic pearl clutching.

Cycling has post-puberty transgender Athletes competing the same as everyone else.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I wish I was more literate when it comes to the science, but in contact sport is the difference in muscle and bone density not the main factor? Is that not what they decided on?

I hate that its excluding women from playing the sport but is the research as flawed as some people are saying it is, or is there a real issue at the heart of it?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I wish I was more literate when it comes to the science, but in contact sport is the difference in muscle and bone density not the main factor? Is that not what they decided on?

I hate that its excluding women from playing the sport but is the research as flawed as some people are saying it is, or is there a real issue at the heart of it?

So there is a genetic difference. But the heart of the issue is that you are generally not going to be getting 100+kg men transitioning I would say. Although I could be wrong and that might be me being super ignorant.

I also think part of the issue is societal where we still view women as these frail creatures. We sheild them from contact sports in highschool, and force them to play other sports while men get to play the "rough" sports and the ones that want to play rugby etc are seen as weird (and assumed gay a lot).

Also bigoted assholes basically use the absolute extremes.

Again, I am genuinely sorry if this offends anyone, that was 100% not my intention

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

So the "increased injury risk" doesn't take into account anything about how often players will play against trans women. That is a huge factor. Proper risk analysis takes into account how likely an event is to occur. So even if an event it horribly awful(which let's be clear trans and cis women playing rugby together is not) you don't protect against it if it almost never happens. This is the whole rationale behind flood tables and not protecting areas against 100-year floods.

So again if 1% of rugby players are trans(a level that would have then represented at 2-3 times the general population) an increase in injury in interacting with those players specifically is minuscule. Honestly, player technique, general fitness, and other factors probably matter way more.

Most importantly this is just another bigoted attempt at othering an already attacked community. Trans women are women and should play with other women. Full stop.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Just the previous World Cup we saw Cheslin Kolbe, a whopping 5 foot 7 and 70 kgs, make tackles like a lone cheetah trying to take down an elephant and no one screamed about player safety or how he shouldn't have been on the field.
There are a lot of athletes in all kinds of sports that have something natural that gives them an advantage and no-one screams that they shouldn't take part due to an unfair advantage, but it is strange how people seem to zone in on it when it comes to players who are trans or intersex.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We throw kids in school at other kids the same age who are a foot or more taller and twice as heavy. This is considered good and cool.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is a pretty exciting half of rugby.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Are the Chiefs the most unlucky side ever or are they really as bad as their 0-6 record so far?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

Are the Chiefs the most unlucky side ever or are they really as bad as their 0-6 record so far?

They're nowhere near as bad as their 0-6 record so far indicates. They've fallen into a losing habit, unfortunately.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Eight Nations is a real thing, taking place in the Autumn test window (November 14th - December 5th)

Group A
England
Ireland
Wales
Fiji

Group B
France
Scotland
Japan
Italy

Each team plays the other 3 teams in their group, with the Grand Final, 3rd Place, 5th Place and 7th Place playoffs on December 5th. I'm hoping they have a lovely little plastic cup for 7th place.

Wales, Fiji and Japan will play all of their matches at neutral venues in England, as those countries can't currently guarantee fans at sporting events before December. As this takes place during the designated Autumn Test window, all clubs must release players for international training and games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Group A seems a bit stacked.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I mean this is Scotlands opportunity to win a trophy based on those groups.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status/1288126830424158208

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53587404

Exeter Chiefs decide that being turboracists in today's climate is just fine with them. :psyboom:

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Who wants to be they asked exactly 0 Native Americans about their branding being respectful or not?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It blows my mind you could be the Exeter Centurions or Exeter Vikings or something.

But no why do that I guess.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Their defense is that the club name comes from an old colloquial term, and was bestowed on the club, by other local clubs, as a mark of respect. It's not related to, or an attempt to profit from imagery related to native american cultures. They will, however, keep their name, logo and gimmick, which all just incidentally happen to profiteer from imagery related to native american culture.

I guess the shareholders and sponsors are all either completely fine with the situation, or uninterested in moving their sponsorship to another team. I must take this opportunity to once again remind you that their main financial sponsor is a gentleman who dons an otter suit during half time, and chases people around the pitch, so that one person can win a wheel of cheese.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The weirdest thing is that I don't see any sort of value in the brand. When talking to somebody about Rugby, and they mention "The Chiefs", I won't assume they're talking about Exeter.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

algebra testes posted:

It blows my mind you could be the Exeter Centurions or Exeter Vikings or something.

But no why do that I guess.

In all fairness, "Chiefs" in a vacuum is a fairly neutral term. It's almost entirely the imagery and logo that's the problem.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

In all fairness, "Chiefs" in a vacuum is a fairly neutral term. It's almost entirely the imagery and logo that's the problem.

Yeah the word is fine it's just literally everything they've ever done to use it for promotion that's the problem. It kinda why there isn't the same level of protest against Saracens.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Yeah the word is fine it's just literally everything they've ever done to use it for promotion that's the problem. It kinda why there isn't the same level of protest against Saracens.

Saracens might be an issue if they were a team in Turkey or something.

But that's besides the point.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Not sure if this is a positive or negative step forward, but the WRU is requiring all registered players to re-sign their online contracts and anti-doping agreements on August 1st.

All players now have to declare both their sex and gender.

The following text only displays if you select something that isn't M/M or F/F :

quote:

Please be aware that if your sex and gender differ, the Welsh Rugby Union will be in touch with you directly to help provide to you the best possible playing opportunities.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two six Nations games followed by four new winter tournament games in the space of 7 weeks. The Ireland men's team is going to be pretty hosed up by the end of November.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vagabundo posted:

And it's branding that they've only used for about 20 years. It's not like they're keeping a logo they had for 100 years. They literally just decided " lol.. We're the Chiefs, so we should have an American Indian chief like in the cowboy movies".

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/T2Rugby/status/1288809224236077057

Fiji's coaching setup is looking pretty great.

If they can get their set piece sorted, they're going to be a hell of a side under Cotter.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is this the thread for general rugby as well? I started playing again last fall after taking a few years off since college.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That was a bullshit call. He was totally trying to catch that and they had three people covering the two attackers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I don't know the letter of the law, but I think technically it went backwards so would be a try.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My amateur team’s fall season is formally cancelled, which honestly is for the best. Looking forward to playing again sometime in the future, but not likely to happen anytime soon in the US.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Awful, awful decision.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
http://chng.it/J2MnjcG8gV

Petition for World Rugby to stick to IOC standards and continue to allow trans women to play.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/3095741/israel-folau-courts-more-controversy-standing-teammates-kneel-black

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Israel Folau continues being an rear end in a top hat even after switching codes

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That almost try was bloody good from both sides.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The Premiership returns tonight. Looking forward to the fast paced, high skill... who are we kidding, this'll just be the same grinding forwards-dominated nightmare it has ever been.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

The Premiership returns tonight. Looking forward to the fast paced, high skill... who are we kidding, this'll just be the same grinding forwards-dominated nightmare it has ever been.

No, it'll be worse cause half the good players have left.

Baths leftovers do not look promising.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

tarbrush posted:

No, it'll be worse cause half the good players have left.

Baths leftovers do not look promising.

Then on the other hand Bristol signed Radrada and Exeter brought in Jonny Gray :psyduck: the rich get richer but the bottom teams have really gotten alot worse.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Then on the other hand Bristol signed Radrada and Exeter brought in Jonny Gray :psyduck: the rich get richer but the bottom teams have really gotten alot worse.

https://twitter.com/topofthemoonGW/status/1291088594518659072

An absolutely insane tackle completion rate. Exeter are going to be hell to play against this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Can we all take a moment to send thoughts and prayers for Huw Jones being asked to play at fullback for Glasgow for the first time and having to try to tackle not only Duhan van der Merwe but also Eroni "The Sledgehammer" Sau this weekend.

F