Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The site in question was built and is maintained by a contractor, I normally don’t have to think about it.

This vp wants to put up some garbage for some clients but doesn’t want to use the existing crm portal because “they keep forgetting their passwords”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Thanatosian posted:

"Just" doing some pretty heavy lifting in that sentence.

"Just" was banned from being said in meetings at a prior job, for similar reasons.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

Three servers, named 'mail1', 'mail2' and 'mail4' and release them on the network.

The correct naming scheme is Mail01, Mail2016 and Frodo.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Hey let's all get together and rewrite WordPress in react.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Like most bad ideas, someone has already had this one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Amen. I used to be all excited when I got to work with massive 4U beast servers, but now idgaf. My company focuses on SaaS for any new applications as well as replacements for old ones, and my life is far better for it. I get to do far more interesting and useful work than spinning up a new VM. There’s still more than enough infrastructure work to go around for our team.

I can't be bothered going through a couple of months of quoting and procurement and then maybe another month of arranging time to ship boxes to a data centre and getting them racked, plugging everything in, deploying the software, managing in-life hardware failures that need remote hands to open racks for Dell to fix things or whatever only to do it all again a few years later when the support runs out, or having to find a use for equipment we deployed for a project that was cancelled because 'we've paid for it'. If I have to touch an OS it wants to be running on a platform that someone else is responsible for and I want nothing to do with hardware.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
SaaS my net-pos opex hole.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The birthday paradox but phone extensions matching the last four digits of the number

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Frontity more like Sad Titty.

Seriously though I'd rather use Sharepoint Online than deal with another 'Last Updated in 2016' Wordpress site.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CPColin posted:

"Just" was banned from being said in meetings at a prior job, for similar reasons.

The whole eng staff at the agency I worked at had to revolt against the use of the word “seamless” in proposals and contracts.

This was largely precipitated by one client basically insisting that their contracted “seamless” integration with their Access database meant we’d be duplicating Access itself in a web browser.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Lol Front Titty!

Take this one out back and shoot it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Context: in March we let everyone just take home their equipment from their office. Since then we’ve ordered a bunch of stuff specifically for being used at home. The monitors happen to be a different model than the ones that are standard in the office

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Does no one care about my mental health?!?!?!?!"
New thread title

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bob Morales posted:

"no one care about my mental health!!!!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
My bosses got me permission to go back into our offices a couple of days a week for my mental health. I even told them to let me know if it causes them any problems, and I can stop.

Tiny apartment with a roommate is not the best WFH situation, so goddamn happy. Also, I feel pretty lame for being happy over this, but between the AC and occasional scenery change, I'm really looking forward to it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I feel that, on my WFH day I feel like I tend to be the most depressed. I'd rather work where I feel like I have to be functional over the room my brain likes to be sad in.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Man you guys are crazy. I could do this forever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Woof Blitzer posted:

Man you guys are crazy. I could do this forever.

I've been 100% work from home for a few years now and never want to go back.

HOWEVER, I have a room that is ONLY used as an office for work. If I didn't I would probably find it more difficult.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Proteus Jones posted:

HOWEVER, I have a room that is ONLY used as an office for work. If I didn't I would probably find it more difficult.

I keep thinking how the technology has helped during this current time.

Like, if it were only 10? years ago, would we be able to do half the stuff that we can do now that is essential for WFH and being confined to home in general?

Especially given how quickly the transition was for a lot of people: if you had people working remotely and you had already set up the infrastructure, that is one thing - but how easy has it been when your vital docs/systems already had cloud access baked in to simple make the change.

if this happened 10-15 years ago, we'd be emailing docs back and forth to work on and using lovely dial-in voice teleconferencing for our meetings.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yup. We told the corporate office to go home one day and we all picked back up the next without any disruption. Between Teams and having majority SaaS apps already in place we were well positioned for the transition.

I for one don’t plan to go back in when we can, *maybe* one day a week just to get some face time with people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hate when the state inspectors or auditors show up, unannounced of course, then it's a mad loving scramble to get them 500 different reports RIGHT FUCKIN NOW

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The environmental benefits from a massive chunk of the workforce going WFH cannot be ignored either. Even if god came from the heavens today and snapped away the plague with an "oops my bad" apology this should be the new norm.

The boomer management where I'm at was super resistant to WFH prior to 2020 because they were petrified no work would get done. I like to think we've demonstrated that adults can actually be responsible. Since so much of our stuff is still on premises hardware some things got more difficult but we got through that too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

[...]face time with people.

That's exactly what I need to avoid until we have a viable vaccine for this. But then I'm in what my doctor called the "very high risk" demographic.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proteus Jones posted:

I feel like if I had a dedicated office space (which would require already having another dedicated loving-off space) it could work. Because right now I'm 60/40 WFH and the "dining room table pushed into a corner" in the room where BVMTH plays isn't a super great solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

That's exactly what I need to avoid until we have a viable vaccine for this. But then I'm in what my doctor called the "very high risk" demographic.

Living in a country that's treating a request to not spread disease as a human rights violation when one has a 20% chance of dying if infected is a loving thrill, that's for sure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Living in a country that's treating a request to not spread disease as a human rights violation when one has a 20% chance of dying if infected is a loving thrill, that's for sure.

Fortunately I found a grocery store that's able to deliver eggs without breaking half of them, so I'm pretty golden now. I just live in my house and scuttle out to grab the offerings on my front porch, hissing at the light.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm 'essential' in my new job so my happy rear end is in here buried in PPE and I gotta say the impression I'm getting is that there is some serious antipathy boiling up between the essential and WFH factions.

The phrase 'sitting on the couch watching Oprah and eating cheetoes' comes up an awful lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm 'essential' in my new job so my happy rear end is in here buried in PPE and I gotta say the impression I'm getting is that there is some serious antipathy boiling up between the essential and WFH factions.

The phrase 'sitting on the couch watching Oprah and eating cheetoes' comes up an awful lot.

That's crazy and sort of pisses me off a bit.

I have the exact same oversight that I had when working at an office site.

"Your work done?"
"yes."
"good"

"Your work done?"
"no"
"bad"

It's those managers (mostly boomers I find), that feel this insane urge to micromanage WFH people because they may be STEALING COMPANY TIME. They'll install keyboard monitors, network sleuthing, and require always on webcams to make sure a worker doesn't spend five minutes on personal matters that didn't matter in the office. loving meanwhile they're engaging industry wide wage theft agains the majority of IT workers...

gently caress, sorry. I just found a hot button of mine apparently

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

grillster posted:

Thanks - that may get me closer to the solution. Currently neither meta or alt+F1 are working, which I think is the computer telling me "yes, it's time to nuke and reinstall."

It's just so nice being able to pop the menu with the meta key.

If you assign alt+F1 as a shortcut to the start menu, it should react when you press the OEM key on your keyboard, at least. Because of that weird hack.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

xzzy posted:

The environmental benefits from a massive chunk of the workforce going WFH cannot be ignored either. Even if god came from the heavens today and snapped away the plague with an "oops my bad" apology this should be the new norm.
The air outside is definitely noticeably clearer and I don't even live in an area with high pollution.
Not to mention that instead of regularly burning a tank of fossil fuel every couple of weeks, I am now seriously concerened that the fuel in my tank may be going off because it is too old.

Proteus Jones posted:

Normal people should be scared witless. I can't imagine how it would feel to be in your situation

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like if I had a dedicated office space (which would require already having another dedicated loving-off space) it could work. Because right now I'm 60/40 WFH and the "dining room table pushed into a corner" in the room where BVMTH plays isn't a super great solution.
Yeah, I must admit to my privilige in having a dedicated space.
Although, in the longer term, it would mean that people aren't forced to live in some overpriced shoebox, simply because it is within commuting distance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think some anthropologist determined that commuting 15-20 minutes is like natural or some poo poo. Like even hunter/gatherers positioned their camps such that this was how it worked.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I had a (mid/late 20s) manager who was like this too. Though from her it was the show "Loose Women". I think it's projection. And I also wonder how she's dealing right now given they're all definitely WFH now.

Like she was totally fine trying to defend asking me to burn 3 hours and £100 every day for the sake of optics from above (and I never really believed it originated there either).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Going from a bad to good manager is the greatest feeling. Instead of a jack-in-the-box I have a manager who listens to problems and addresses them appropriately.

Like, wow. This is a thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've got a great manager but I still get twitchy hen he wants to talk unexpectedly. It's a healthy organization overall, so most of the potential problems were screened out at the hiring phase. The worst that happens is Global sits on tickets forever, but I haven't had to get managers involved yet.

I love my pod and I love my 4 days WFH schedule - half my day on-campus is in labs. I can paint gunpla between meetings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Schadenboner posted:

I think some anthropologist determined that commuting 15-20 minutes is like natural or some poo poo. Like even hunter/gatherers positioned their camps such that this was how it worked.

Go walk around your neighborhood for 20 minutes after you get up and then got straight to your home office.

Problems solved!

This is going to become more permanent for a lot of people though. My sister works for a hospital system (in a non-medical capacity) and her and her coworkers have basically been told "We're getting rid of your offices, we'll just have an occasional in person meeting in one of the member hospitals when this is all over." I was already transitioned 100% WFH 6 months before the pandemic due to our company shutting down most remote offices.

Even when this particular crisis is over, cube farms with open floor plans have been shown to be a liability in DR planning and many places are going to be faced with the prospect of lowering density in their offices (because this will happen again.) This can be problematic for a few reasons. One, it costs money to redo floor plans. Two, if you lower density but want to keep the same number of people in an office, you need more space.

That basically leads to two different outcomes (aside from the obvious of "do nothing"), you either do the redesign and shift a chunk of people to WFH to resolve the space issue, or you give up on the space completely (moving into smaller digs altogether) and make everyone else WFH.

It will be interesting to see how cities adapt. I know restaurants downtown were hit hard by restrictions, but even when they've been relaxed a bit it hasn't helped because the foot traffic isn't there from office dwellers and a good chunk of that isn't coming back. I would love to see a lot of real estate in cities that was dedicated to cube farms be repurposed into affordable housing. I could even see apartment/condo complexes having shared "WFH" office spaces for people who want a change in scenery. What if your coworkers weren't the people you shared employers with but people that you socialized with in your community that are all working remote, separately, but together?

Really though, this needs a re-branding. Work From Home is limiting. Work from Anywhere should be the name. In a year or two when it's hopefully safe to travel again, I'm planning on taking full advantage of that. Yeah, I'll still take vacations when I'm fully off work. Why stop there though? Can't schedule time off right now? Doesn't stop you have having a change of scenery. Pack it up and fly off to some city you've never been and spend the week exploring it outside of work hours. Being in the east works to my advantage there too since my work day would end at 3pm on the west coast. It would give me an opportunity to sample a lot of places and decide where I would want to come back to for a full vacation.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We just say "remote".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moo the cow posted:

Normal people should be scared witless. I can't imagine how it would feel to be in your situation

For the most part I'm fine. I just take appropriate precautions for the times I do need to venture forth. I have a bunch of KN95 masks and a bottle of hand sanitizer.

I'm able to keep my personal space pretty safe. I also live alone since my partner died a few years ago (it took awhile, but I've broken through to the other side of that darkness). Most of my friends are scattered across the country and we have a chat room set up in Signal and play online games at times. I'm alone but not lonely.

My outlook is, barring getting brain worms and going out unprotected, I'll be fine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Moo the cow posted:

Yeah, my outlook changed starkly when my dad passed due to this poo poo because the people at his nursing home flagrantly disregarded protocol. He was one of like two dozen people that caught it and like half died.

Then again, Houston itself is a hot-spot in the state so it's just A Statistic at this point.

Half the reason I'm able to keep my head on as straight as I am is that our company and CEO specifically are very adamant about "your safety is paramount, the overwhelming majority of our people can do their full workday remote, stay the gently caress home".

There's also some other team members who've lost loved ones to this poo poo and we're all kinda keeping each other company (via Slack and infrequent Zoom meetings) the best we can. :unsmith:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

tactlessbastard posted:

TBH it’s true though, I have to admit that basically is how I’ve been working. It’s not like most people’s jobs need focused attention most of the time, especially when you’ve been doing that job for like 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially in this line of work. The less you appear to be doing the better you are at your job.. because you automated everything and it tells you when it needs fixed.