Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who has physique on Mike Perry?
This poll is closed.
No One 13 30.95%
Francis N'gannou 29 69.05%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think Derek "charges everywhere with his chin up" Brunson is going to get hosed up by Edmen Shahbazyan this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Wide Man get spinal fusion surgery? I'd be interested to know where that figures in the timeline of his decline.

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what? You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?

Hollandia posted:

Didn't Wide Man get spinal fusion surgery? I'd be interested to know where that figures in the timeline of his decline.

According to this article he pulled out from UFC 199 (June 2016) because he couldn't even properly relieve the pain anymore and got surgery shortly after, planning to fight again with a 12 week turnaround from the surgery. The article also says other athletes who underwent the same/similar surgery it's more of a 9-12 month thing. So the only fight he's had before the surgery that he lost, his loss to Rockhold at UFC 194 (Dec 2015), and I don't think it's unrealistic to assume his back could have already been compromised during that fight. His first fight after the surgery was Romero's flying knee at UFC 210 (April 2017). His decline kind of seems to line up with the surgery/emergence of issues.

Zomblified fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 30, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JaySB posted:

Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann booked for UFC 253

1 round

taking the under

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Weidman's fight against Machida was also a loving war which may have permanently diminished both fighters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

moctopus posted:

It's a bit narrow to say all Weidman did was beat up old Brazilians, but it's also a fair criticism since Silva, Machida, and Belfort were all out of their primes. However they are all time greats.

Also, the guys Weidman did lose to are good fighters and he had moments of looking good against all of them. (I think).

The idea that Silva was out of his prime isn't really borne out by anything, since Silva was coming off 4 flawless performances in a row. There was literally no indication that he was slipping at all. He's absolutely slipped since but that win was astonishing at the time. The other two absolutely were though. He beat Machida just by gameplanning for him really well. Machida's fall has mostly been having an unusual style but there's now way more tape on him. I'm pretty sure Brunson caught him with the same punch that a couple of other people did but i can't remember who the other was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weidman was good but was definitely not as good as Fatherdog used to think he was.

The only reason I don't believe Khamzat is that he probably didn't want to beat Conor up, he'd have probably legit murdered him.
Similar reason to why it was laughable when Conor was implying Khabib was scared of him. Mate, if you're from Dagestan, Chechnya or adjacent areas, I don't think there's much that can scare you.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

No dude people from dagestan and chechnya are despite, the evidence from the ufc, normal people and flying to a country where you don't have the language looking for a fight is genuinely dogshit stupid. Like everything else mcgregor related it's someone doing something stupid for the potential of a whiff of even a percentage of a crumb of mcgregor money.

"Local police picked him up, he didn't know which one" there's only one type of police in Ireland.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I want to see him fight real competition and see how he does when he faces someone he can't just takedown. He could be as good as Khabib, but he's got a long way to go to prove that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I can’t find the quote now but Khabib once got asked if he got scared before a fight and his response was something like “when I was a child we lived in a tent with attack helicopters overhead, in the cage it’s just a man”

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I can’t find the quote now but Khabib once got asked if he got scared before a fight and his response was something like “when I was a child we lived in a tent with attack helicopters overhead, in the cage it’s just a man”

Took me a little while to find it but that was Adlan Amagov: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2014/03/why-mmas-so-called-russian-invasion-may-not-be-as-russian-as-you-think

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

I really liked Amagov. He's basically the only guy I know of that's won a fight due to that knee stomp/oblique kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgKjtFZdUA

Then he retired because he was tired of cutting weight, and moved into a life of crimes

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/6/8/15761826/report-ufc-vet-adlan-amagov-involved-in-moscow-shootout

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
anyway, here's makwan amirkhani's dog wearing a hat

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDQpUYGprYg/

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

I really liked Amagov. He's basically the only guy I know of that's won a fight due to that knee stomp/oblique kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgKjtFZdUA

Then he retired because he was tired of cutting weight, and moved into a life of crimes

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/6/8/15761826/report-ufc-vet-adlan-amagov-involved-in-moscow-shootout

ah the Amar Suloev career branch

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Some WMMA news:

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1288949544344903686

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1288948376474660871

If you don't know who Stoliarenko is, she was on TUF, but she also competed in lethwei and had the best, bloodiest fight of the year, one day before Zhang and Jedrzejczyk fought

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1236156606703980544

(seriously, check out Stoliarenko vs Verzosa if you haven't or even if you have seen it)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

...Did they tell both ladies Dom Cruz will be commentating their fight right before the cameraman walked in?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

Some WMMA news:

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1288949544344903686

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1288948376474660871

If you don't know who Stoliarenko is, she was on TUF, but she also competed in lethwei and had the best, bloodiest fight of the year, one day before Zhang and Jedrzejczyk fought

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1236156606703980544

(seriously, check out Stoliarenko vs Verzosa if you haven't or even if you have seen it)

angie hill loving owns. good for her

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

...Did they tell both ladies Dom Cruz will be commentating their fight right before the cameraman walked in?

Eastern Bloc folks (especially fighters) are renowned for their smiling, photogenic qualities 🙃

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

In a shock to all, Ray Borg is out of his fight tomorow

So is Eric Spicely

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

LobsterMobster posted:

So is Eric Spicely

Borg's record since the DJ fight

Of those cancellations four are not due to Borg withdrawing. One reschedule, Two opponent withdrawing and one cancellation of the event due to Covid. Before he withdrew four times as well. I know we feel bad for his kid, but this is getting weird.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

Oh brother.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Ray Borg on the Ian McCall train to nowhere at this rate. Except I feel worse for Borg, since he doesn’t seem to have a wealthy family to fall back on.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ray Borg on the Ian McCall train to nowhere at this rate. Except I feel worse for Borg, since he doesn’t seem to have a wealthy family to fall back on.

now i want to see how long it would take for a borg vs mccall fight to come to fruition

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricSpicely/status/1289216724743499777

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ray Borg also did not bring the curse upon himself by being a horrible person, as far as I know.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CarlCX posted:

Ray Borg also did not bring the curse upon himself by being a horrible person, as far as I know.

Imagine upgrading to Rob Emerson

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I respect the transparency. Hopefully it doesn't cost him a job.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Guess what ref thought that Herb Dean took too long to stop Trinaldo-Herbert

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Another established actor trying to squeeze out the competition.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, Yamasaki would know what a late stoppage is since he's seemingly an expert in that field of refereeing.

Edit - Also my take is, yeah it was a late stoppage but I also think Herb is getting overworked as of late due to the lack of quality referees that can be relied upon but apparently the system is set up where only a handful of good referees get gigs meaning the lower skilled ones aren't getting the practice/time in they need.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 1, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Yamasaki believes he was purposefully persecuted because of his performance on that night, but tries to not let that get under his skin. Ever since the incident, the Brazilian Mixed Martial Arts Athletic Commission never called Mario again to referee fights, which he believes is directly linked to the event and all the criticism it generated.

“Fighters suffer the same kind of discrimination. But in my case, it was meant to cause controversy and sell more pay per view packages. It’s no use crying about it, but I’m not worried. I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. I’ve been through it all. I even used to be their sweetheart at one point. Maybe the Athletic Commission was unfair to me, because they gave in to the UFC’s will. They’re the ones who hire me, not the UFC. In theory, the UFC can’t stop me.”

Oh good, he hasn't accepted he was a bad referee a bunch of times and is just blaming all the criticism he got on some conspiracy of "boosting ppv sales on making GBS threads on a bad referee"

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He's still my favourite ref. Black Beast vs browne is an all time great.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

only a handful of good referees get gigs meaning the lower skilled ones aren't getting the practice/time in they need.

It would make the visuals worse and maybe cause confusion, but having two refs jn there, one junior and only able to advise the senior, could help train more refs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Get refs in multiple positions in the ring. One the crawls around on the cage floor to monitor kicks and grappling.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Get refs in multiple positions in the ring. One the crawls around on the cage floor to monitor kicks and grappling.

get a ref in that mission impossible harness suspended above the cage

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Machine learning.

Feed it Mazagatti footage as what not to do.

And every JBJ fight for eye pokes.

Our new AI digital ref.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Weidman was good but was definitely not as good as Fatherdog used to think he was.

I sent fatherdog a message on twitter, asking him if he will come back when lowtax is gone, but he never replied :-(

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

SA Forums Poster posted:

I sent fatherdog a message on twitter, asking him if he will come back when lowtax is gone, but he never replied :-(

this is what he said when this most recent lowtax stuff came up in our groupchat:

"anyway I'm 100% not going to read SA threads again but if anyone asks about me specifically, you can let them know that I occasionally miss talking with them in the PSP that was, but I don't regret seeing the back of somethingawful as a venue."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

this is what he said when this most recent lowtax stuff came up in our groupchat:

"but do I regret seeing the back of somethingawful as a venue? Nope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like fatherdog and wasn't trying to throw shade fwiw.

He just really really liked the wide man