Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They could use the Showtime brand. People still care about Showtime, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They're gonna call it The Eye or EyeTV or Eye+ or something like that

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldSenileGuy posted:

They're gonna call it The Eye or EyeTV or Eye+ or something like that

If Apple can't call something iTV, there's no way in hell ViacomCBS can.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Really, nobody here watched Penny Dreadful: City of Angels? We finished it tonight. It was okay. A little cliched, a little predictable, very heavy-handed with the modern social commentary (especially the Trump analogue character), but neo-noir is still my poo poo regardless.

I didn't even know Kerry Bishe was going to be in it, but she was excellent, just as she was in Halt and Catch Fire. We're still binging our way through Scrubs (nearing the end of Season 6, into episodes I've never seen before), and I hear she's going to pop up there too!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't seen any of that but knowing Kerry Bishe is in it piques my interest for sure

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I actually thought Kerry Bishe was miscast in the role. She's not actually bad, and she's generally a drat fine actor. But not, I reckon, in that role.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't finished City of Angels yet as I am behind on basically anything in English atm

I very much want to tho

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Edward Mass posted:

They could use the Showtime brand. People still care about Showtime, right?

Showtime does currently have the best late night talk show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want more Kerry Bishe she's in an FMV video game called Telling Lies. It's not a long game but regularly goes on sale on Steam, but I think it's on phones too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0x9OaHDjig

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is Killing Eve even worth watching past the first season?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who stopped at the end of season 1, from everything I've read it sounds like not really. If you're jonesing for more I don't think you'll have a bad time continuing on assuming you're fine with a quality drop, but if you're good to move on I've been told that's the right thing to do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shageletic posted:

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who stopped at the end of season 1, from everything I've read it sounds like not really. If you're jonesing for more I don't think you'll have a bad time continuing on assuming you're fine with a quality drop, but if you're good to move on I've been told that's the right thing to do.

I loved Killing Eve Season 1, but thought 2 and 3 were awful crap, just made for meme-worthy moments and shippers. It felt like the same thing that happened to Orphan Black -- you had a show anchored by a wonderful actress or actresses and some interesting, twisty plot developments, but then they changed course to pander to their goofiest, loudest fans on social media.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Orphan Black was fantastic all the way through though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Nah

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Orphan Black was fantastic all the way through though.

The first season was fantastic, second and final seasons were decent, third and fourth were slogs.

I actually forget, did the references to Sarah's daughter being psychic ever get explained or justified in any way? That was the most jarring plot development for me in the later seasons of Orphan Black, especially because it's something that would have been huge even in the setting of the show, but no one seemed to ever notice or care and it was only brought up so she could once in a while go "Aunt [So-and-so] is in trouble!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
She was just hanging out with Walt too much.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

If you want more Kerry Bishe she's in an FMV video game called Telling Lies. It's not a long game but regularly goes on sale on Steam, but I think it's on phones too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0x9OaHDjig

I'll second the recommendation, I enjoyed Her Story but found it a little too precious and Telling Lies did a great job expanding that same basic conceit with multiple characters and settings but not being too opaque or overwhelming. Plus with the events of the past two months a story about a federal agent infiltrating a group of leftist activists hits especially hard.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone watched Hinterland? I watched the first episode thinking it was a normal show, but it was 96 minutes long and a complete story (perfectly average story). Then I noticed they were all over 90 minutes long. Is it worth it? Are there different casts each season? I really just like the setting, a cold rainy small Welsh town.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ariza posted:

Has anyone watched Hinterland? I watched the first episode thinking it was a normal show, but it was 96 minutes long and a complete story (perfectly average story). Then I noticed they were all over 90 minutes long. Is it worth it? Are there different casts each season? I really just like the setting, a cold rainy small Welsh town.

It's the same cast every season but each episode is like a movie with a case per episode. I enjoyed the show quite a bit. The location is absolutely gorgeous.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Having watched all 3 seasons, this is exactly right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Luther series 5 worth watching? I was thoroughly unimpressed with series 4, especially given how series 3 ended.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m all caught up on Doom Patrol season 2. Infinitely more hosed up plotwise than season 1. Good lord this stuff gets dark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

I'll second the recommendation, I enjoyed Her Story but found it a little too precious and Telling Lies did a great job expanding that same basic conceit with multiple characters and settings but not being too opaque or overwhelming. Plus with the events of the past two months a story about a federal agent infiltrating a group of leftist activists hits especially hard.

Should I play Her Story first? I know the stories aren’t repeated but sometimes going backwards in UI/gameplay stuff is a doozy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Should I play Her Story first? I know the stories aren’t repeated but sometimes going backwards in UI/gameplay stuff is a doozy.

If you're interested then I say go for it, it's a game you can play through in an afternoon and it's been in the Humble Bundle so you might already have it. Regardless of which you play first, I recommend playing it with a pen and paper handy and taking notes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

If you're interested then I say go for it, it's a game you can play through in an afternoon and it's been in the Humble Bundle so you might already have it. Regardless of which you play first, I recommend playing it with a pen and paper handy and taking notes.

I’ll pick em both up for next Monday when I have a lot of weird downtime, thanks!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finally caught the first episode of Perry Mason and all I have to say is god drat that dude has a giant hog. Also, its good!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Hell, I have some old graph paper kicking around, I’ll go all out.

E:after im done listening to the Talking Heads at least.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 31, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I understand a sketch show having hit or miss bits, especially on something like early MadTV, but how the gently caress did “Pat Kilbane likes coffee so much that it makes him put googly eye glasses on and do a store-brand Jim Carrey shtick” happen multiple times? It is easily the worst recurring sketch in these early seasons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i57KNyGCReU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i wish that images could be thread titles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished Season 3 of Bojack Horseman. It consistently impresses me how things you think are going to be one-off gags continually weave themselves back into the story in sometimes absurd, sometimes enormously hosed-up ways. I also think there must be a lot of endurance runners writing for this show because 1) most runners are inherently anxious people, and 2) the themes consistently return back to running as a form of escape or self-improvement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dhm/status/1288961714814423042

Whole thread is hilarious

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 31, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

To be fair, A&W Cream Soda is good stuff

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Finished Season 3 of Bojack Horseman. It consistently impresses me how things you think are going to be one-off gags continually weave themselves back into the story in sometimes absurd, sometimes enormously hosed-up ways. I also think there must be a lot of endurance runners writing for this show because 1) most runners are inherently anxious people, and 2) the themes consistently return back to running as a form of escape or self-improvement.

I’m super jealous of anyone that’s watching Bojack for the first time. It’s an insanely good show and it gets better and better as it goes on. I remember watching the first season on release day and knowing it was gonna be something special pretty quick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Someone should do a fan edit of The Office where they turn the entire thing into a dry 22-minute documentary on the paper industry, cutting out all the character and drama. Just some monotone How It's Made style voiceover in lieu of any significant dialogue outside of out-of-context soundbytes about how sales work. Maybe framing it as an internal training video for sales folks.

I'd give it a shot but that would mean I'd have to watch more of that show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Someone should do a fan edit of The Office where they turn the entire thing into a dry 22-minute documentary on the paper industry, cutting out all the character and drama. Just some monotone How It's Made style voiceover in lieu of any significant dialogue outside of out-of-context soundbytes about how sales work. Maybe framing it as an internal training video for sales folks.

I'd give it a shot but that would mean I'd have to watch more of that show.

I honestly don't know if over the course of the entire series there's enough actual material on the paper industry to fill out 22 minutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Umbrella Academy S2 is a huge improvement over S1 so far. And I liked S1! I’m two episodes in and the pacing is substantially improved and I like the new time period quite a bit. The Swedes are great villains, too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: holy poo poo the use of the swedish pop cover in episode 5, I was dying laughing.

Umbrella Academy season 2 is pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first 7 minutes of season 2 because everyone said it was pretty great and......yeah it was pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Doom Patrol season 2 has gotten very, very dark, but then they throw in stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeGipivb5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAMr79Xvho