Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Terunofuji vs Tamawashi HOLY poo poo WHAT A MATCH

Here's an old match from 1990 they were showing today during the broadcast between live matches:

https://i.imgur.com/BlYvzsH.mp4

Terutsuyoshi vs Kotoshoho Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Thauros posted:

i just noticed while watching the pre show analysis that Terunofuji's shikona is written with the katakana ノ for no. Same goes for Tochinoshin and Kotonowaka upon further resarch. wonder why? would've thought the hiragana の would've been more likely. also i'm very thankful for the furigana so i can actually read the shikona on screen

There's 3 "no"'s you'll see - ノ の and 乃. Asanoyama has the third one in his shikona.

I had a vague memory that it was for a weird japanese/chinese word origin grammar thing, but apparently it just depends on the mood of whoever picks the shikona.

The original Kotonowaka spelled his shikona with all three during his career. Look him up in English in sumodb then hit the nihongo button up on the top to see.

(Thanks, sumo forum!)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
all those disbelieving staring faces for mitakeumi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been busy with work and have missed most of the sumo and this thread :smith: but it is setting up to have an exciting ending! And Juryo looks really exciting at the moment one guy in the lead on 9-3 and then six behind him on 8-4!!

Terunofuji facing Asanoyama tomorrow will be awesome. Asanoyama will be the first Ozeki Terunofuji has faced since May 22, 2017 when he faced thread favourite Goeido

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrQ8BIHtic

bessantj fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 30, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

anakha posted:

Speculation on Abi's possible forced retirement from sumo.

Osunaarashi got booted for arguably a lesser offense so the grumpy old men coming down hard on Abi is a distinct possibility.

i just want to talk about this for a second.

first of all, lovely behaviour on abi's behalf. it's not just his health he's responsible for. further, have some respect for your coach and training partners who have been prepping you for this tourney - at least enough to no go out and get poo poo faced during the event.

that said though, sumo should be helping mentor these young dudes. if he is often making lovely decisions, he's probably lacking in some mature guidance from an older rikishi / cocach.

regardless, if he gets booted entirely out of sumo for this i'd consider that a gross overreaction.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Japan has never grossly overreacted to a minor violation of their cultural norms.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Japan has never grossly overreacted to a minor violation of their cultural norms.

lol yeah what was i thinking

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of shikona talk, here's a cool thread going in to a lot of detail about it, highly recommend reading:

https://twitter.com/AgentSilk/status/1288775719850573825

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 30, 2020

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Teronofuji/Tamawashi: I thought someone was gonna get KOed. Tama didn't really know what he was starting when he slapped, I think. Tero was NOT amused.

Ishiura nearly achieved orbit with that ring exit. I hope he didn't injure himself landing half-on that stool.

Terutosuyoshi/Kotoshoho I was disappointed Salt Bae henkaed, but that was a pretty sweet move.

Asanoyama continues to be a goddamn beast. His balance is exceptional this basho.

Mikateumi may have broken Hakuho :ohdear: his heel slammed the tawara pretty hard.

I'm gonna laugh if we get another M17 winning the basho. And also cheer, because Terunofuji is great.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Speaking of shikoana talk, here's a cool thread going in to a lot of detail about it, highly recommend reading:

Really good read

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Somehow stumbled upon a dude streaming this tournament going on, been hooked. Enho is bae

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brut posted:

Speaking of shikona talk, here's a cool thread going in to a lot of detail about it, highly recommend reading:

I was just looking more into shikona yesterday after wondering why/how Endo just got to...keep his name. Which is the 38th most common Japanese surname. All these dudes named "Thousand-Era Mountain" and "Crane Dragon" and poo poo and here comes "Baker" (not what his name means, just the U.S. equivalent in commonness).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A hush falls over the crowd as both rikishi enter the dohyo

Truly a battle of champions today. Yokozuna West, "Glorious Ascending Dragon" stares down Yokozuna East "Steve"

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I was just looking more into shikona yesterday after wondering why/how Endo just got to...keep his name. Which is the 38th most common Japanese surname. All these dudes named "Thousand-Era Mountain" and "Crane Dragon" and poo poo and here comes "Baker" (not what his name means, just the U.S. equivalent in commonness).

From what I understand the only person you need to convince is your stablemaster, I believe the NSK doesn't really care as long as what you pick (even if it's your real name) doesn't overlap with an already in use shikona.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foehammer007 posted:

Somehow stumbled upon a dude streaming this tournament going on, been hooked. Enho is bae

should have just asked in-thread my dude.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

should have just asked in-thread my dude.

I think they're saying they accidentally stumbled upon a Sumo stream while looking for something else, and that is how they got introduced to Sumo.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Brut posted:

I think they're saying they accidentally stumbled upon a Sumo stream while looking for something else, and that is how they got introduced to Sumo.

Yeah I got linked to a karla_marxist stream, been watching there. It's crazy how its like eight hours of sumo a day for 15 days

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Foehammer007 posted:

Yeah I got linked to a karla_marxist stream, been watching there. It's crazy how its like eight hours of sumo a day for 15 days

Haha yeah, if I ever get to go in person and get tickets I'm showing up at 9 AM or whenever it is with like several pounds of food/water and just sitting there the whole day watching all divisions. Btw since I think Karla keeps the Japanese commentary the whole time, if you want the English one when it comes on "mbovosumo" switches to that when it becomes available (typically the beginning of the top division, but sometimes a couple bouts after).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

Haha yeah, if I ever get to go in person and get tickets I'm showing up at 9 AM or whenever it is with like several pounds of food/water and just sitting there the whole day watching all divisions.

I wholeheartedly recommend this. Also don’t pack in, just buy awesome food and drinks there. You’re also allowed one exit and re-entry if you get cramped, but I just walked around the kokugikan instead.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Hakuho just pulled out. Right knee injury.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brut posted:

NHK is Nihon Hoso(broadcasting) Kyokai, they just point cameras at things and interrupt with news broadcasts.

NSK is Nihon Sumo Kyokai (aka JSA, Japan Sumo Association), they're the ones your beef is with, thought more specifically the Torikumi Hensei, which is the specific subset in charge of the torikumi.

I wish the acronyms were a little further apart :shrug:.

Yes! This was total late-night brain fart posting. Of course the word "sumo" is the one whose pronunciation doesn't change between languages lol. Good info for the thread too. Stupid torikumi hensei :arghfist::mad:

Excellent series of bouts today. Terrible news about Hakuho, but definitely not sad to have Asanoyama and Terunofuji contesting the cup. Too bad they already scheduled that matchup, that would have made an excellent final bout of the tournament.

Day 12 standings:

code:
31	anakha	
39	Banana Canada	
39.5	bartolimu	
37.5	bessantj	
30	Charles Gnarwin	
44	Diplomat	
39	Elissimpark	
42.5	GoatSeeGuy	
35.5	Jobbo_Fett	
35	Kenning	
39	Lid	
32.5	Marching Powder	
35.5	Martytoof	
33	Mekchu	
40.5	QuasiQuack	
36.5	ratmosphere	
38	Scythe	
28	sivad	
33	Spokes	
46	Thauros	
35	Tiny Bug Child	
36	whats for dinner	

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just hit me that i've followed sumo since the july 2018 basho and i've seen more m17s win yusho than ozeki.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ratmosphere posted:

Hakuho just pulled out. Right knee injury.

Yeah he looked like he took a hard tumble in that match the other day.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Mekchu posted:

Yeah he looked like he took a hard tumble in that match the other day.

I was worried at first and thought he looked better as he was walking backstage. Guess it blew up on him overnight :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

asanoyama takes the cup if the sumo god is honourable. terunofuji takes the cup if the sumo god is honourable but in an older, more insane way that is actually considered pretty rad by today's youth who like irony and other such things but will turn on him when the god also makes clear he is genuinely like, really racist.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1289066213830787074

Ouch.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

big oof

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Thauros posted:

just hit me that i've followed sumo since the july 2018 basho and i've seen more m17s win yusho than ozeki.

loving lol.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I wholeheartedly recommend this. Also don’t pack in, just buy awesome food and drinks there. You’re also allowed one exit and re-entry if you get cramped, but I just walked around the kokugikan instead.

Yeah, this 100%. The food's pretty decent, too, and it's all part of the experience. January's Juryo bouts were legit interesting, and it's always cool to see up-and-comers, some of whom are capable of really great moves that you may not expect. It all moves at such a speedy clip and there will likely not be enough time to grab souvenirs once it's all over because they get people out fast. It's all orderly, but my roommate and I didn't realize they really hustle people out of the Kokugikan the second things are over.

Getting there early also gives you a chance to walk around and check out all the various stands. There's not a ton of variety (and there are more souvenirs outside if you're desperate to get something), but you can take the time to check out some of the absolutely k-rad types of moves that are illustrated and named above all the concession stalls. Some of them are wild; they've seemingly accounted for and named just about any move you could think of, up to and including just straight-up going airborne and hurling your body at the other rikishi.

I can't loving wait to go back. We'd better get our poo poo together with COVID; I'll be damned if I let a bunch of selfish, stupid assholes keep me from taking a vacation after the PS5 launch. I've got coworkers to get stupid drunk with and amazing food to stuff into my face, dammit.

[edit] Day 12 was wild. There were some genuinely shocking wins today, and I'm glad that it's not just a runaway result, though it's sad to hear that Hakuho was suffering way more than he let on. Hope the dude heals up and snags his 45th basho next time.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 31, 2020

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Brut posted:

Informative but two nitpicks: Interesting she didn’t mention Wajima when talking about rikishi who used their real names. Wajima was yokozuna in the 70s and had a great rivalry with another yokozuna, Kitanoumi.

Also the 鵬 in 白鵬 doesn’t mean “phoenix” but “peng” a different mythological bird whose only common trait is that it is a mythical bird. I’m sure I’ll get some hate from pointing it out but whatev. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peng_(mythology)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have just seen today's results. I am losing my mind.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Terunofuji is the Revenant. :stare:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

drat, there were a bunch of really great matches today. Kaisei vs Nishikigi was kind of a standout to me with how many close shaves there were. Also Aoiyama rolling off of the dohyo and onto his feet was pretty drat impressive! So, with Terunofuji beating Asanoyama, is he pretty much all but guaranteed the yusho now?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

please let another m17 ranked man claim a yusho within a single year

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whats for dinner posted:

I was worried at first and thought he looked better as he was walking backstage. Guess it blew up on him overnight :(

Edit - Posted before I saw that twitter news post by Brut. That does not sound pleasant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think part of it is the injury part of it is having two good rikishi on his tail. IMO if he had fallen the same way in a win yesterday he'd probably still be gingerly in the race. Not saying it's not a real injury but I think he's just "ok shut it down" now that he's not uncontested.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Teru! Also- that should have been a day 15 match.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I think part of it is the injury part of it is having two good rikishi on his tail. IMO if he had fallen the same way in a win yesterday he'd probably still be gingerly in the race. Not saying it's not a real injury but I think he's just "ok shut it down" now that he's not uncontested.

This also wouldn't be the first time he noped on out of a basho when it was obvious he wasn't going to easily clinch the yusho. It's not like anyone can claim he hasn't earned all the honors possible, so that's sort of his prerogative, but hearing he was getting stuff drained daily and popping pain meds certainly does lend it an air of truth.

I'm not exactly complaining; it's fun watching him destroy everyone, but it's even more fun when things are up for grabs and those last few days can wildly swing in anyone's favor.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Really pleased with Tochi-kochi. And also with Teronofuji's excellent match. Sad about Enho MK, but hopefully he won't fall too far.

Is it just me paying more attention, or is it a freakin' blood bath in the bottom M ranks this basho? Tons of low-win records. Are we likely to see a higher than average churn to/from Juryo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Really pleased with Tochi-kochi. And also with Teronofuji's excellent match. Sad about Enho MK, but hopefully he won't fall too far.

That the first kk from Totchi since May 2019.