Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He's been doing podcasts with a ventriloquist doll lately. There's a clear pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Paladinus posted:

He's been doing podcasts with a ventriloquist doll lately. There's a clear pattern.

Honestly, I think that just quarantine and this pandemic getting to him. I have done some weird poo poo at home these pass few months. I just don't post it on Twitch.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DrNewton posted:

Honestly, I think that just quarantine and this pandemic getting to him. I have done some weird poo poo at home these pass few months. I just don't post it on Twitch.
Ah you're not familiar with 'Me1 vs Me2 Snooker with Richard Herring' a video podcast where Richard Herring plays snooker with himself with comentary by Richard Herring.

Its first episode was in 2011.

I used to be a big fan of Herring's podcast but ultimately most british comedians have revealed themselves to be pretty poo poo at this point so I kinda lost interest in hearing them interviewed. He's reasonably funny and I'm sure he'll be fine on Taskmaster.

Looking forward to Johnny Vegas the most though, creative/lazy is peak taskmaster contestant IMO.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've got Vegas pegged as prone to bursts of ill-considered energy, but that may be formed from clips of decades-old stand-up sets.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Mr Phillby posted:

Ah you're not familiar with 'Me1 vs Me2 Snooker with Richard Herring' a video podcast where Richard Herring plays snooker with himself with comentary by Richard Herring.

Its first episode was in 2011.

I used to be a big fan of Herring's podcast but ultimately most british comedians have revealed themselves to be pretty poo poo at this point so I kinda lost interest in hearing them interviewed. He's reasonably funny and I'm sure he'll be fine on Taskmaster.

Looking forward to Johnny Vegas the most though, creative/lazy is peak taskmaster contestant IMO.

Yeah in my mind Me1 vs Me2 isn't so crazy. Again I spend a lot of time alone. I listen to his podcast too, he is putting effort to find less lovely guests, and had a lot more women and non traditional comedians which I like.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've kind of fallen off with RHLSTP lately but I think that the audio-only series of AIOTM are legit brilliant.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I don't think it's an act. I think like Adam Buxton he's pretty mad that he's the less famous of a double act.
It's not something he can let go - it doesn't consume him 24/7 but he goes on about it enough it's clear it bothers him a lot.

"Kidding on the square" kinda thing where he's making jokes but it's not all joke.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I think it's 100% from a real place, just exaggerated for comedy.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

A few years ago I kind of got obsessed with an idea for a sitcom that would star Richard Herring, Andy Zaltzman and Adam Buxton all living in a flat together. It would be called "The Triad of Failure".

This concept has legs. If you wanted to expand the cast you could throw in the two non-Greg Davies members of We Are Klang. Oh and Mathew Horne too - he must be loving foaming. Maybe Ben Miller too what with Alexander Armstrong making all that Pointless/documentary cash.

I must be missing some other obvious ones...

Fake edit: Strangely, Vic Reeves probably counts now.

Real edit: Rob Newman. Although Baddiel might have slightly been edged out by Skinner these days. Tough call.

franco fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 31, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

franco posted:

This concept has legs. If you wanted to expand the cast you could throw in the two non-Greg Davies members of We Are Klang. Oh and Mathew Horne too - he must be loving foaming. Maybe Ben Miller too what with Alexander Armstrong making all that Pointless/documentary cash.

Only because he's mostly operating as Jim Moir now and seems to get to do exactly what he wants.

Miller got to spend however long in the Caribbean doing Death in Paradise until he chose not to so I'm sure he's fine.

And James Cordon should be where Matt Horne is, it's just Matt Horne should be there too.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think all this labelling of people as failures because their friends happened to end up being successful is pretty weird, hth

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If I were Alexander Armstrong I'd be deeply resentful that my comedy partner used to be married to the mum from the Inbetweeners.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

franco posted:

Real edit: Rob Newman. Although Baddiel might have slightly been edged out by Skinner these days. Tough call.

Oh yeah, a lot of the plots would involve debates on who else to let into the gang. David Mitchell is more talented, liked and less lovely than Robert Webb, but is he really so massively more successful enough to say that Robert is a failure in comparison?

And were Matthew Horne and Corden really comedy partners? Horne was cast in Gavin & Stacey (which Corden co-wrote), and then the two of them got a sketch show based off that, but I heard rumours that they loving loathed each other.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

And were Matthew Horne and Corden really comedy partners? Horne was cast in Gavin & Stacey (which Corden co-wrote), and then the two of them got a sketch show based off that, but I heard rumours that they loving loathed each other.

I'd say they were for a while - neither of them were really known before they teamed up and they also did that terrible film. They've both said that the loathing is made up and they're still friends but who knows?

And I'm purely basing this on popularity/financial success, not if anybody is talented or not, or if I personally like them :)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
On the more recent vic and bob stuff vic always seems pissed and bit out of it and Bobs the one coming up with the actual jokes and puppeting him about. He’s definitely the funny one of the two, athletico mince is amazing. I think vic seemed to get more of the credit in the past because bob plays more of the straight man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Comrade Fakename posted:

Cordon is quite famously known as an absolute arsehole off screen, so that’s not a huge stretch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ineptmule posted:

I think all this labelling of people as failures because their friends happened to end up being successful is pretty weird, hth

Adam Buxton is certainly doing better than me so it is quite odd.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
just want Limmy on taskmaster

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

franco posted:

Rob Newman is doing exactly what he wants though? He went out of way to walk away from stadium comedy and do super political complex left wing stuff.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Padje posted:

just want Limmy on taskmaster

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think failures is a bit strong, but both Richard Herring and Adam Buxton certainly get a lot of mileage out of being the "less successful" one.

Also I think it's clear from seeing Vic and Bob do seperate things that Bob is just a naturally funny person in any setting, whereas Vic really needs Bob to work off.

Edit: I'd love to see Frank Skinner and Bob Mortimer do something together.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lemon posted:

I think failures is a bit strong, but both Richard Herring and Adam Buxton certainly get a lot of mileage out of being the "less successful" one.

Is Joe Cornish *that* successful? He’s directed a few films, but nothing groundbreaking, award winning, or blockbusting.

It’s a bit surprising that Adam hasn’t had any TV work though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's also childhood friends with Louie Theroux.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wooger posted:

Is Joe Cornish *that* successful? He’s directed a few films, but nothing groundbreaking, award winning, or blockbusting.

He’s bigger as a writer, I think. He wrote Ant-man, the big Spielberg CGI Tin-Tin, and he’s writing/directing an upcoming adaptation of Snow Crash. He’s doing alright, you know?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He'll be fine. His former comedy wife is now a major success as something different, not lauded as a comedy philosopher-king.

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Watched At Last the 1948 Show on Britbox was it a thing online before the release? Its like new Python appeared from the aether.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rascallion posted:

Watched At Last the 1948 Show on Britbox was it a thing online before the release? Its like new Python appeared from the aether.

Got a DVD of what was known to exist at the time (couple of quid at MVC I think) over a decade ago, came up a bunch in Python retrospectives from that time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

As TV filmed pre-Covid starts to run out, the CW in the US is premiering the UK Taskmaster from this weekend.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

wooger posted:

It’s a bit surprising that Adam hasn’t had any TV work though.
Attack the Block is a brilliant film that IMO is underrated. However the Kid Who Would Be King was middle of the road and bombed at the box office.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lemon posted:

Yea - I'm not labelling them as failures. They're the ones doing it.
Over and over and over and over and over. Although Buxton doesn't do it as much as herring for sure.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rascallion posted:

It is very python, they even copy over a few jokes and scenes into future Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlOV7K-xOU

This has had a few versions done over the years.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The_Doctor posted:

He’s bigger as a writer, I think. He wrote Ant-man, the big Spielberg CGI Tin-Tin, and he’s writing/directing an upcoming adaptation of Snow Crash. He’s doing alright, you know?

The last film he directed was one of the biggest box office flops of the year it came out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kid Who Would be King yeah? Which is weird as I remember it being advertised well enough, and getting decent enough (albeit not amazing) feedback. I wonder what went wrong.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kid Who Would be King yeah? Which is weird as I remember it being advertised well enough, and getting decent enough (albeit not amazing) feedback. I wonder what went wrong.

It was fun. Decent-ish Kids as Arthur+knights story.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Taear posted:

Yea - I'm not labelling them as failures. They're the ones doing it.
Over and over and over and over and over. Although Buxton doesn't do it as much as herring for sure.

Adam Buxton's suffered with mental health issues, I wonder if that's effected his work output? He had that kids TV thing though (what was it, Bug?) and turned up in a bit part in the film they made of Stardust.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Isomermaid posted:

Adam Buxton's suffered with mental health issues, I wonder if that's effected his work output? He had that kids TV thing though (what was it, Bug?) and turned up in a bit part in the film they made of Stardust.

He also has a massively successful podcast

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ah, its a shame hes struggled mentally, Adam Buxton is such an adorable person. Even when I disagree with him I just want to give him a hug.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm sure Joe is doing better financially but honestly Adam Buxton is much more a household name. They are a bad example of a success/failure duo.

Richard Herring epitomises it but that's mostly because he chooses to lean into it for comedy. Anyway that taskmaster lineup looks better than any of the recent series for sure.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If I've never seen Taskmaster and am planning to watch this new one are there any 'essential' seasons I should go back and watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

101 posted:

If I've never seen Taskmaster and am planning to watch this new one are there any 'essential' seasons I should go back and watch?

All of them have their moments.
Just watch it from s1Ep1 and enjoy.