Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

There's suddenly a lot of things happening on that show which does feel like a nice change of pace - Wrestle House; Trey Miguel (he got his last name back!) / Eddie Edwards and Deonna / Kimber Lee were definite highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The verdicts for Anthem v Jeff Jarrett are in

quote:

*The jury ruled that Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC is liable to Plaintiff Global Force Entertainment, Inc. for federal trademark infringement of the registered mark GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING, violation of the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act, unjust enrichment, negligence, conversion, and federal unfair competition for infringement and Tennessee trademark infringement for usage of the GFW logo.

*The jury ruled that Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC is liable to Plaintiff Jeffrey Jarrett for violation of the Tennessee Personal Rights Protection Act.

*The jury ruled Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC was liable for federal trademark infringement of the mark GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING.

*Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC is liable for unfair competition for infringing upon the GFW logo.

*Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC is liable for Tennessee trademark infringement for usage of the GFW logo.

*The jury ruled in favor of Global Force Entertainment, Inc. on its unjust enrichment claim, ruling that Anthem used the GFW content for their own enrichment without having the license to do so.

*The jury ruled that that Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC was negligent in deleting the original footage of the GFW Amped content.

*Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions, LLC is liable for conversion for its deletion of the original footage of the Amped content.

*However, the jury ruled that Anthem Wrestling Entertainment, LLC’s liability in this action was caused by Jeff Jarrett’s own breach of his fiduciary duty and his duty of loyalty and that Mr. Jarrett is liable to Anthem Wrestling for such breaches, so there may be damages he has to pay to Anthem.

*The jury ruled that Anthem’s conduct against Jarrett/GFW was willful.

quote:

While the jury came back with those verdicts, they have yet to award damages or punitive damages and Anthem is attempting to have everything thrown out of court to restart the entire trial process all over again.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
oof, those court proceedings lookin awful familiar

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FIGHT FOR-EV-ER [clap, clap, clapclapclap]

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

J E DOUBLE F HA HA J A DOUBLE R E DOUBLE T

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Did Jarrett strut out of the courtroom

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your honor, counsel wishes to cite precedent in Dimes Drawn v. Guitars Broken

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Where's Joseph Park when you need him?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Can an internet lawyer please explain how "Anthem Wrestling Entertainment, LLC’s liability in this action was caused by Jeff Jarrett’s own breach of his fiduciary duty and his duty of loyalty and that Mr. Jarrett is liable to Anthem Wrestling for such breaches," exactly? If the lawsuit was about Jeff being fired and the merger being cancelled, OK, sure. But it's about Anthem/Impact using Jeff/GFW's IP without permission and negligently destroying the GFW Amp'd masters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

davidbix posted:

Can an internet lawyer please explain how "Anthem Wrestling Entertainment, LLC’s liability in this action was caused by Jeff Jarrett’s own breach of his fiduciary duty and his duty of loyalty and that Mr. Jarrett is liable to Anthem Wrestling for such breaches," exactly? If the lawsuit was about Jeff being fired and the merger being cancelled, OK, sure. But it's about Anthem/Impact using Jeff/GFW's IP without permission and negligently destroying the GFW Amp'd masters.

look the mounties always get their man

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Even Impact's lawsuits end on a gently caress finish.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Alaois posted:

J E DOUBLE F HA HA J A DOUBLE R E DOUBLE T

AIIIIIN'T HE GREAT?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maigius posted:

Even Impact's lawsuits end on a gently caress finish.

Hahahaha well done

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was expecting the jury to rule for Jarrett and award him damages of $1 but him maybe owing Anthem money is much funnier.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

I would suspect it was because he's the reason that they could no longer use that footage due to his being negligent as an employee to the extent that he was justifiably released.

(no clue on the destruction bit, though)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

I would suspect it was because he's the reason that they could no longer use that footage due to his being negligent as an employee to the extent that he was justifiably released.

(no clue on the destruction bit, though)
But they didn't own the footage. If we're negotiating a deal—merger, sale, licensing agreement, whatever—that would end up with you being able to use my IP and the deal flames out because I go on a bender and you cut ties, you don't get to claim ownership the IP because you not getting it was my fault...right?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

But they didn't own the footage. If we're negotiating a deal—merger, sale, licensing agreement, whatever—that would end up with you being able to use my IP and the deal flames out because I go on a bender and you cut ties, you don't get to claim ownership the IP because you not getting it was my fault...right?

I'm just spitballing, but it could have been that they had invested a certain amount into rebranding under the reasonable expectation that JJ would be competent and present that, while they definitely were not legally justified in using his IP without a deal after he was gone, his actions were also damaging to them on some legally recognizable level.

Do you recall when they announced his termination? Was it initially a suspension? Was there a delay after events? Could JJ have been stringing them along for awhile to get them to use the IP for as long as possible before pulling out and suing and/or upping the price for which he would let them use the IP? It could be that they were operating under the expectation that he was coming back for part of the period of time that they used his IP. Obviously, if the usage of his IP was predicated upon his employment, it should have ceased as soon as that employment ceased, but I don't know how long he was in limbo for, when he told them that he was revoking the IP, or what procedure was even necessary to revoke their rights. Am I correct that they never formalized the right to use it, even while he was there, but just figured that it would be no big thing since he worked there and said it was fine?

Either way, it's incredibly slopped on Anthem's part to have even begun rebranding before they had a deal in place to purchase or get a long term license for the IP employed. Their immediate desire to run away from the TNA name wasn't an unnatural one, but they clearly got ahead of themselves and are now, seemingly to at least some extent, reaping what they sowed with their incompetence. It was all very needless since the value of GFW was largely nil to the public, and they could have picked any other name and, aside from a couple weeks of unification matches, it would have had equal value.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Watched the Impact replay today. It was actually quite entertaining. I don't know if I'd honestly call it GOOD, but it was... fluffy. Popcorn faire. The low-octane wrestling is taking some getting used to, I've gotten so used to PPV calibur matches just being given away on TV that readjusting to the idea of "just a TV match, save the good stuff for the big shows," is kind of hard. Not that there's nothing good in the TV matches, Purazzo's style allows for some really fun sequences even in a low key match like the one she had this week for example, but the pace is in general lower and the impact of everything is lower and that's weird when you're used to watching WWE, AEW and NJPW.

I do like how the show feels very distinct from AEW and New Japan. It feels very much like its leaning hard into being cartoonish, even with its more serious elements like, say, EC3's promo or the Good Brother's main event. Sometimes goofy, sometimes melodramatic, but always pastel in one way or another. I mark that as a big point in its favor because it makes it different from the other stuff I watch and therefore I'm not sitting there asking "Why am I wasting my time on this when I could watch *blank* and get it better" I don't think I could get this particular thing anywhere else, and for the moment at least I'm enjoying that thing enough to keep sampling.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but uh...

https://twitter.com/TheTreyMiguel/status/1284938272976887809

https://twitter.com/ProjectDITS/status/1289480458879696898

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1289637024350183425

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hey, for the first time possibly ever Impact is including having people give them money as something to celebrate.

It only took 18 years, but finally, progress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao and of course Lacey can't do the destroyer bump

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, some might say that the Canadian Destroyer has been overexposed. That everyone can do it and has and now they're forced to do crazier and crazier versions of it to get a reaction.

But Lacey is here to remind us that no, not EVERYONE can do it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

STAC Goat posted:

Sure, some might say that the Canadian Destroyer has been overexposed. That everyone can do it and has and now they're forced to do crazier and crazier versions of it to get a reaction.

But Lacey is here to remind us that no, not EVERYONE can do it.

She's no Buff Bagwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsHja1TU1c0

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

I'm just spitballing, but it could have been that they had invested a certain amount into rebranding under the reasonable expectation that JJ would be competent and present that, while they definitely were not legally justified in using his IP without a deal after he was gone, his actions were also damaging to them on some legally recognizable level.

Do you recall when they announced his termination? Was it initially a suspension? Was there a delay after events? Could JJ have been stringing them along for awhile to get them to use the IP for as long as possible before pulling out and suing and/or upping the price for which he would let them use the IP? It could be that they were operating under the expectation that he was coming back for part of the period of time that they used his IP. Obviously, if the usage of his IP was predicated upon his employment, it should have ceased as soon as that employment ceased, but I don't know how long he was in limbo for, when he told them that he was revoking the IP, or what procedure was even necessary to revoke their rights. Am I correct that they never formalized the right to use it, even while he was there, but just figured that it would be no big thing since he worked there and said it was fine?
It was contingent on the merger. And there were emails that came out in discovery where Impact execs were making cracks about how they didn't think Jeff had the balls to sue, stuff like that.

quote:

Either way, it's incredibly slopped on Anthem's part to have even begun rebranding before they had a deal in place to purchase or get a long term license for the IP employed. Their immediate desire to run away from the TNA name wasn't an unnatural one, but they clearly got ahead of themselves and are now, seemingly to at least some extent, reaping what they sowed with their incompetence. It was all very needless since the value of GFW was largely nil to the public, and they could have picked any other name and, aside from a couple weeks of unification matches, it would have had equal value.
Even if it felt like a weird choice on the surface, it made some sense: It was a brand that had been on their programming before and the trademarks were already cleared.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alaois posted:

lmao and of course Lacey can't do the destroyer bump

I'm not even sure I want to blame Lacey for that. That's rough.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Lacey does get a lot of the blame there because she just doesn't get herself over at all. That's always been the book on the Destroyer, hasn't it? That so much of it is really the victim taking a flip. That's why so many people used to discount it as an unrealistic looking move. Lacey just doesn't get over at all.

But some of it I think is also just on the setup/execution. Trey goes through the middle rope and over the top of Swann and its up to Swann to grab on and help make it happen. Naomi does a slide under the rope and like loses all momentum as she grabs Lacey and tries to make it happen. Its awkward and slower and I don't think Lacey was in as good a position as Swann to flip. But also Lacey ain't Rich Swann and I seriously doubt she could have executed that even if Naomi had done it like Trey. Assuming she could have, which I at least have more faith in than Lacey's part.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's really just not a spot they should have gone for if lacey can't safely get that bump.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1290650045335900160

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

good signing by impact

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Sliding belly down on the mat kills all Naomi's momentum and like others said even if she went through the middle rope I don't think Lacey could have executed it on her end.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fightful says they're doing a two-night event, Emergence, for their shows on the 18th and 25th https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/impact-running-two-night-emergence-special-event-women-s-match-headlines-exclusive

Nothing known so far except apparently Deonna Purrazzo defending the Knockouts title against Jordynne Grace, with some kind of stipulation, is the main event of the second night

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

J-Ro posted:

Where's Joseph Park when you need him?

My sources are telling me he is looking for his brother. You know, Chris? Abyss?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, Joseph Park was a great reinvention. I remember people here didn't realize he was Abyss!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

WrasslorMonkey posted:

My sources are telling me he is looking for his brother. You know, Chris? Abyss?

They used a couple seconds of Abyss' footage for a bit in last week's Wrestle House and I popped. I hope he's getting a comfortable paycheck from the big trump fundraiser now.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1290693985996922881

Myers has been teased for the last couple of weeks, wonder if he's the one challenging Edwards.
Also yay for more Wrestle House.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’d guess Edwards defends against Eric Young, to continue the ‘beat the other four guys from Slammiversary in one-on-one matches’ theme. Brian Myers probably would be for Emergence, while Ethan Carter III is the obvious opponent for Bound for Glory.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1290819959388622848

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Came back from work and I'm halfway through - Heath got robbed.

Give Wrestle House the Best Weekly Wrestling Show award for 2020.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

J-Ro posted:

Came back from work and I'm halfway through - Heath got robbed.

Give Wrestle House the Best Weekly Wrestling Show award for 2020.

I disagree. Instead, rename this sub-forum Wrestle House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

^^^ I'm ok with that, too.

Eddie worked hard during those last tapings, drat.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1291184716834410496

Unless there's something bigger planned, I feel like they could've waited with that no DQ match for Emergence?

Deonna promising Kimber a title shot if she gets a win over (and softens) Jordynne before the title rematch is one of my favorite wrestling tropes.