Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dan is actually a weirdly good comparison, now that I think about it, because I absolutely loving love Dan to the point where he's basically my Alpha 2 main, but I also think anyone who would advertise a SF game based on it including Dan is smoking crack because your average person is gonna have a way better idea who Ryu or Ken or Chun-Li or Zangief or Guile are comparatively, whereas Dan on the box would just make people go "...wtf, why is Ryu pink and douchey looking now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Even though this game sucked I still had a blast playing it with my friends back in the day. Whenever I think about I still wonder why there is still not a decent Star Wars fighting game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicToast posted:

Whenever I think about I still wonder why there is still not a decent Star Wars fighting game.

realistically speaking i think a lot of the problem is that lightsaber fighting, as depicted in the movies, is... difficult to make into fighting game mechanics, and especially so when you consider that there's two very, very different styles of lightsaber combat depicted in the series. a Bushido Blade clone would basically work for OT-style duels, but more or less leaves the prequels out entirely, whereas something like Jedi Academy 1v1 reflects the prequels really well with everyone doing goofy flippy poo poo, but basically can't handle the slower OT ones.

and then you have to consider that people would want, like, Han and Chewie and stormtroopers and other non-lightsaber-wielding characters in it, and then you just end up with Masters of Teras Kasi again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bushido Blade reskin called Sith Sword for the OT, ultimate warrior for the prequels called Ultimate Jedi.

The sequel trilogy would, of course, be a Re-Masters of Teras Kasi

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say this, Masters of Teras Kasi isn't, like, a fundamentally bad idea so much as it's just badly executed. It's trying really hard to be a Namco 3D fighter (Tekken, the Soul series, etc) but it just fails to nail what makes those games great.

A remake of it with the actual Tekken or Soulcalibur team as devs, and patterning itself after Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur 6 as opposed to Tekken 1 and Soul Edge, would probably be, at worst, fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I loving love the Chonrei twins

You are the first and probably last person to ever feel this way

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I will say this, Masters of Teras Kasi isn't, like, a fundamentally bad idea so much as it's just badly executed. It's trying really hard to be a Namco 3D fighter (Tekken, the Soul series, etc) but it just fails to nail what makes those games great.

A remake of it with the actual Tekken or Soulcalibur team as devs, and patterning itself after Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur 6 as opposed to Tekken 1 and Soul Edge, would probably be, at worst, fine.

Closest thing we got was Yoda, Darth Vader and Starkiller as guest characters in SoulCalibur 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy2F8s5yLAA

It was so weird.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Revengers of Vengeance had the best box advertising.

Count the fonts and jokes. Its gotta be a great game.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

put it this way: the "main" characters of Fatal Fury that I'd be leaning on for advertising are Terry, Andy, Joe, Mai, Geese, and Krauser. they're not the only good characters, I loving love the Chonrei twins and (as mentioned) Duck King, but those six are going to be pretty much the only Fatal Fury-era characters that people who aren't relatively hardcore SNK fans actually recognize, and even then, Andy, Joe and Krauser are potentially a little obscure compared to the other three on the list.

seeing characters outside those six be proudly advertised by name on the box is... more than a little strange to me.

e: and, as it turns out, googling around told me the actual reason they're being advertised. Special was an updated rerelease of Fatal Fury 2, as we all know, but one of its specific perks over FF2 was re-adding Geese, Tung Fu Rue, and Duck King from FF1 to the roster (and having them be playable, since the OG Fatal Fury was kinda on some Street Fighter 1 bullshit), and Geese makes that a selling point all by himself, let alone the other two. they're not advertising it to generally go "HOLY poo poo PISS, WE HAVE DUCK KING," they're advertising the FF1 characters as a specific addition over 2, and that at least makes sense.

I was joking because my avatar is Duck King, I'm aware he's not exactly a marquee character. He kind of sort of could have been though, SNK held a poll to let fans choose one character to be in KOF96, and Blue Mary beat out Duck King. Honestly I'm surprised Duck King did that well, but I want history to be changed so he won and he would then be dropped after 96 and Blue Mary gets added back in anyways.

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

Yo what the hell this game also has shmup sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MscSvgNpx0

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

HerniaFlange posted:

Yo what the hell this game also has shmup sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MscSvgNpx0

Yup it's a janky fighting game with a janky RPG mode and you can earn money through various ways like the shooter Hilariously there's almost no documentation on how anything works even on GameFaqs. First playthrough I figured out the armor shop just let's you buy more and more equipment and equipping it just stacks bluffs. Got a nice gag ending with the wolf guy. Tried playing it again as a different character and found another item in a shop that turned both players invisible forever, which kind of ended that playthrough since fighting invisible is terrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

they're kind of bland-looking and I'm not actually sure what their deal is in the story, but they're fun as gently caress to play as in the Real Bout games (though I'm a way better Terry) and that makes up the difference

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

:staredog:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah the Jins are cool. They should come over to KoF. They can hang out with Bao and make a team of tiny occasionally-possessed supernatural Chinese kids.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Every new KOF game, I get excited at the prospect of SNK opening up the vault to bring back some obscure characters, like Jack Turner from Art of Fighting or Hon-Fu from Fatal Fury 3, but instead SNK just creates like a dozen new characters whole-cloth that may only have one appearance and then are archived away never to be seen again.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Mercury Crusader posted:

Every new KOF game, I get excited at the prospect of SNK opening up the vault to bring back some obscure characters, like Jack Turner from Art of Fighting or Hon-Fu from Fatal Fury 3, but instead SNK just creates like a dozen new characters whole-cloth that may only have one appearance and then are archived away never to be seen again.

Just a problem related to the sheer number of franchises and individual games released in their mid/late 90s heyday. At least Hon Fu has had quite a few cameos, someone at SNK really liked him in the early 2000s

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They brought back friggin Hwa Jai in 13, it's not as if they're completely negligent of all those old weirdos.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I might be the only person who thinks Zero Divide 2 is really loving good. The first game has a jank frame rate but the second one runs at 60fps constantly and feels smooth as hell. It's like the PS1 answer to Virtua Fighter.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqXoSoo9cw

pretty interesting video about the Fighter's History lawsuit

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I was watching Angry Video Game Nerd's newest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm9J8o6zrSI
and discovered a new fighting game I never heard about, Final Fight Revenge. Crazy thing was the game did not reach home consoles until 2000, and it only released on the Saturn which was already dead at that point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think more what I learned from that video is the last 2d fighting game he played was on the SNES/Genesis

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Capcom only sued data east because karnovs revenge is more fun than any street fighter game

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are there any good Youtube channels that dig through old fighting games?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Darthemed posted:

Are there any good Youtube channels that dig through old fighting games?

Super Best friends play (before they split up) had a couple of mini series covering old fighting games - I swear it was stuff like Weaponlord. Those guys really understand fighting games, so it's a bummer it is over.

I'd link but I'm on mobile.

Edit: one of the series I think was called fighterpedia.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 29, 2020

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Not really a channel that goes into explicit detail of any particular fighting game in a video or two from the past, but there is this one where psychochronic uploads a lot of ancient fighting game tournament footage from old fighting games, including also cmvs, and other stuff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some tweets from 2018, freshly translated into English, where Hitoshi Ariga shares some memories and development sketches from the making of Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle for the SNES.