Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, Office Space's speech about how little work Peter does in a typical day has the kernel of truth.

No one was 100% on task in the office, ever. So, to try to enforce that remote is trying to enforce a standard that never existed so that's never going to function properly.

And that's really the thing, bad management. If your management strategy was to measure the success of your directs by how much work you observed them doing in the office rather than their actual output, then yeah, you can't do that now. That's a good thing that you can't do that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That basically leads to two different outcomes (aside from the obvious of "do nothing"), you either do the redesign and shift a chunk of people to WFH to resolve the space issue, or you give up on the space completely (moving into smaller digs altogether) and make everyone else WFH.

Or they double down, cut salaries and benefits, and expand office space. These are the same people that often think if a warm body isn't in a chair then they're not working and stealing labor time or whatever, so it would be a little optimistic to assume they wouldn't make irrational decisions elsewhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sheep posted:

Or they double down, cut salaries and benefits, and expand office space. These are the same people that often think if a warm body isn't in a chair then they're not working and stealing labor time or whatever, so it would be a little optimistic to assume they wouldn't make irrational decisions elsewhere.

I think at this point the tide has shifted enough such that businesses that hold those views are going to have a hard time keeping a hold of employees down the line. If they go and cut salaries and benefits, that just puts them at even more competitive disadvantage.

Bonus bonus is that the companies that are embracing remote work can hire those employees from anywhere in the country while ones with old practices have limited their pool substantially.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My org has just sold 1/3rd of its active office space in the last 12 months. All those employees went 100% remote. The timing was incredible and makes them look even more big brained to the board.

You all should only be concerned when they figure out you can hire anyone that lives anywhere in the united states and the salaries can relax a bit for orgs who are use to hiring people in high cost of living areas.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I couldn't have picked a worse time to buy a 2-story office building with plans on leasing it out

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The way our email encryption works is you use a keyword in the subject like {encrypt} or {secure} and the system takes care of the rest.

Some genius has been using {encript} for the last two months. So because HIPAA we have to pull the logs/headers for every email this person has sent that used the incorrect spelling in the subject and ensure that the server on the other end used TLS.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

I couldn't have picked a worse time to buy a 2-story office building with plans on leasing it out

It seems like this has been almost continuously true for at least the last 10-12 years?

Maybe not in proper cities though?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like this has been almost continuously true for at least the last 10-12 years?

Maybe not in proper cities though?

I was joking :unsmith:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Bob Morales posted:

The way our email encryption works is you use a keyword in the subject like {encrypt} or {secure} and the system takes care of the rest.

Some genius has been using {encript} for the last two months. So because HIPAA we have to pull the logs/headers for every email this person has sent that used the incorrect spelling in the subject and ensure that the server on the other end used TLS.

I mean honestly at that point why not just encrypt all outbound? Especially if it's something that absolutely needs to be in place on sensitive emails.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My university has a perpetual space issue, which is made even worst right now that they are reducing the capacity for classrooms since they're still convinced there will be some amount of in-person instruction in September. They have been historically resistant to allowing remote work, you usually are forced to take a pay or title cut to do it. If they're smart they will be able to see this is a win-win but change moves slowly here and they probably don't want to give up all that sweet sweet parking permit revenue they get out of all of us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bull3964 posted:

I would love to see a lot of real estate in cities that was dedicated to cube farms be repurposed into affordable housing.

Be careful what you wish for, because here that's called Permitted Development Rights and it's just a way for unscrupulous property developers to create apartments that don't have to go through a planning department and don't have any minimum size or amenities requirements because they're sold as "well we have a housing problem", and it's going to create so much bad stuff in the near future.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 30, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

A colleague and I did some calculations on what our monthly team meeting costs.

We were surprised: there was the obvious like room hire and basic catering. Then you add in the hourly rate of the commute each person has to take to get there, then the mileage costs, etc. It was a sizeable amount and all of it disappeared in an instant when you moved to virtual meetings.

Try it yourself. It makes a compelling argument for the accountants.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moo the cow posted:

We were surprised: there was the obvious like room hire and basic catering. Then you add in the hourly rate of the commute each person has to take to get there, then the mileage costs, etc. It was a sizeable amount and all of it disappeared in an instant when you moved to virtual meetings.

How good is the catering, though?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
As someone on a restricted diet, I’m glad as fuuuuck that I don’t have to do any team lunches or anything anymore. Pretty awkward when you have to order, like, plain chicken with gently caress all please

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I miss Indian food.

:(

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Schadenboner posted:

How good is the catering, though?

Good enough to say 'drat, these are some good sandwiches and those samosas are fresh!'

Not good enough to drive 30mins in traffic getting there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our catered meetings come from the cafeteria. :barf:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Schadenboner posted:

I miss Indian food.

I, specifically, miss Indian buffets.

I can order individual items from any local Indian restaurant, but what I want is a little of this, a little of that, and maybe some of that, too, please.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ah buffets. When the normal indoor restaurant experience just isn't risky enough anymore. Let's add shared touch points and a lot of moving around to the shared air without being able to wear a mask.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bull3964 posted:

Ah buffets. When the normal indoor restaurant experience just isn't risky enough anymore. Let's add shared touch points and a lot of moving around to the shared air without being able to wear a mask.

Which is precisely why I miss them so much. Ah well. Maybe in 2022 we'll be able to go outside again.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

bull3964 posted:

good news! The hot line at Whole Foods is still open for some unexplicable reason here.

I just get a ton of indian food for pickup and then have leftovers for a few days. Or make my own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moo the cow posted:

The number normally kicked around is that the employee's salary covers only half of their "true" cost. The figure is obviously bullshit but that's how one should think about it.

Everything from the desk they sit at to the water they flush down the toilet costs money and it adds up fast. From a pure business cost perspective it makes a ton of sense to push WFH.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I mean honestly at that point why not just encrypt all outbound? Especially if it's something that absolutely needs to be in place on sensitive emails.

The way my org does emails, if you encrypt it, that forces the person receiving to sign in, creating extra hassle/delay. So in general we don't encrypt for day to day stuff (and leave out pii/phi or sub in pii for anonymous identifiers) and have to go through a rigorous manager approval process before sending actual pii/phi, including "is it necessary?", etc.

We use proofpoint encryption, for reference. Bonus points to proofpoint for enabling an "encrypt and send" option in outlook AND a subject line catch, using either, seamlessly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I miss Indian food.

I’m over it. Paying $14 for one serving of rice and a chicken dish, and another $3 for a dang tortilla

This is peasant food.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Everyone who can should work from home and everyone's hours, working for home or not, should be cut to like 20 hours a week. There is no reason for us to be working as much as we do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Everyone who can should work from home and everyone's hours, working for home or not, should be cut to like 20 hours a week. There is no reason for us to be working as much as we do.

I don't want to have to provide a home office for working, my commute is a 20-minute walk, and my gym is right next to my office.

Anyone who wants to should absolutely be able to work from home, and anyone who has to drive their car to work should totally be working from home, but let me have my drat physical/psychological separation of "home" and "job," please. :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I don't want to have to provide a home office for working, my commute is a 20-minute walk, and my gym is right next to my office.

Anyone who wants to should absolutely be able to work from home, and anyone who has to drive their car to work should totally be working from home, but let me have my drat physical/psychological separation of "home" and "job," please. :colbert:

True, poor phrasing on my part. I know we've had this same exact conversation before in the thread. My bad. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now, at this moment, that's not true.

If you are capable of working at home, you should be, full stop. Period. Too much is at stake right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Right now, at this moment, that's not true.

If you are capable of working at home, you should be, full stop. Period. Too much is at stake right now.

Also true, but I believe they were just referencing to me talking things in a "in the future" type way.

Geez, this is like talking to a thread full of engineers. :)

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

Also true, but I believe they were just referencing to me talking things in a "in the future" type way.

Geez, this is like talking to a thread full of engineers. :)

Yeah.

Obviously, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, but I think we can all agree that massive open-plan cubicle farms with their germ-distributing a/c should go the way of Hitler's bunker.

and I think Shed-Offices, or 'Shoffices' should become an option for those who want to separate home from work:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Moo the cow posted:

and I think Shed-Offices, or 'Shoffices' should become an option for those who want to separate home from work:

Show me how to glue that to my apartment and you have a deal. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That looks very small and also likely to turn into an oven on a warm day

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Moo the cow posted:

Yeah.

Obviously, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, but I think we can all agree that massive open-plan cubicle farms with their germ-distributing a/c should go the way of Hitler's bunker.

Look, I'm a Goon; I'm pretty sure I couldn't even turn around in that room, let alone sit down.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

That looks very small and also likely to turn into an oven on a warm day

Well, I picked a small one for comedy value, but even a modest one is much nicer than an executive cubicle

Kyrosiris posted:

Show me how to glue that to my apartment and you have a deal. :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I legit would like to have a work/hobby shed. Those look like excellent options.

Unfortunately we're renting a 2BR for now, though?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Moo the cow posted:

Not to mention that instead of regularly burning a tank of fossil fuel every couple of weeks, I am now seriously concerned that the fuel in my tank may be going off because it is too old.

A page back now, but don't be worried about this. It takes many many years for gas to go "bad", and even then most all vehicles will still start and run with no damage. It might not run the best, but you really don't have to worry about it. If you are really concerned you can toss some Sta-Bil in there.

Now, if you have a carburetor engine, that is a different matter. The 10% ethanol that is in practically all gas now loves to gum up carb's if left to sit for too long. So if you have something with a carb either drain the gas or put a stabilizer in it. Alternatively you could also put in a fuel cutoff, and just run the line dry from that point.

I would be more concerned with the seals and gaskets than the gas. If it is going to be 3-4 weeks between uses of the vehicle, I would start it once every 2 weeks or so and let it get up to temperature for a few minutes. This will circulate the fluids through the engine and keep everything nice and lubricated. If it may be months between uses, well I'd consider selling the thing and getting a small electric personally, but at the least take it out for a 10-15 minute drive once a month. This will help the seals and gaskets that aren't in the engine from drying out, thus leaking (shocks and axle's are very bad for this).

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Moo the cow posted:

Yeah.

I like this but it needs a mini-split. In the far flung future when I redo my garage I plan to put an office room in it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What color should they be?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Koskun posted:

Now, if you have a carburetor engine, that is a different matter. The 10% ethanol that is in practically all gas now loves to gum up carb's if left to sit for too long. So if you have something with a carb either drain the gas or put a stabilizer in it. Alternatively you could also put in a fuel cutoff, and just run the line dry from that point.

Or just buy boat gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

klosterdev posted:

Or just buy boat gas?

Sure, if you want to pay whatever cost they feel like charging for it. You can also find non-ethanol gas, around here it's about a buck more a gallon. I find it a lot easier to empty out the tank/turn a shutoff on the things I have with a carb in them (lawn mower, chainsaw, moped) than pay the extra for the gas.