Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
for the fraiser roguelike i think the casts should be different classes, so during character creation you choose either fraiser, niles, roz, and you eventually unlock bulldog, daphne (focus on pys attacks of course) and martin (who uses eddie as a support)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Seinfeld was practically randomly generated content to begin with.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Motherfucker posted:

Seinfeld was practically randomly generated content to begin with.

no it wasn't

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Motherfucker posted:

Sorry fuckhead, don't like my vision for the toaster you paid for?? Feeling dissatisfied because I decided to only let you toast bread on the burn it all to gently caress setting?? Oh you want a product you paid money for to not suck dick??

Too bad rear end in a top hat. I'm a very sensitive person who needs my feelings protected because I'm... a developer :smug:

how's your essay going

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Snooze Cruise posted:

for the fraiser roguelike i think the casts should be different classes, so during character creation you choose either fraiser, niles, roz, and you eventually unlock bulldog, daphne (focus on pys attacks of course) and martin (who uses eddie as a support)

defeat Maris and return with the Amulet of Gentrification

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

beer gas canister posted:

defeat Maris and return with the Amulet of Gentrification

But we'd never see Maris! Unless you defeat her by defeating a proxie.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The inclusion of an RPG mode in Cogmind will almost certainly get me to buy it when I'm ready for it. I love debug mode and cheat codes and stuff though; I don't see anything wrong with letting the player decide what level of challenge makes a game fun for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

A Strange Aeon posted:

The inclusion of an RPG mode in Cogmind will almost certainly get me to buy it when I'm ready for it. I love debug mode and cheat codes and stuff though; I don't see anything wrong with letting the player decide what level of challenge makes a game fun for them.

Absolutely; TOME and other RLs have softer permadeath modes (lives), Cogmind literally has a save/load feature on the lowest difficulty. Celeste's punishing difficulty is core to its experience, but I do like the myriad ways it has of tuning thing downward if desired, going even the extra step of not disabling achievements nor postgame challenge modes. These are all good changes.

Cogmind itself is based on the concept of "what if everything about the @, from gear to abilities, where totally transient and where gained and lost constantly?" then being built on a homemade X@COM engine. The gameplay and fluff came afterwards; if someone just wanted a mech shooter there's probably a better game out there for them.

I might hate Synthetic (mostly due to its ghastly UI and inaccessibility) and rue not being able to enjoy its creamy shooter innards, but I'm not going to go around calling its dev a moron for making the game he wanted to play.

Incidentally, forums superstar "Motherfucker" has been probed roughly once a week during 2020 for his distinctive hot takes; wise men would mute him.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Serephina posted:

Incidentally, forums superstar "Motherfucker" has been probed roughly once a week during 2020 for his distinctive hot takes; wise men would mute him.
lol I just checked out homeboy's ban history and saw him spew an angsty wall of text about some Qud change he didn't like that ended with "you quit and go play dungeonmans" There is no way Unormal/HoL would ever check in anything that bad.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Kanos posted:

It literally doesn't work. As in, I launch it, and it hangs endlessly at the title screen(which is incidentally the same thing that seems to be happening to that person who left the 1/5 review).

It happened to me as well, that's xbox app's weirdness. You have to exit the full screen to get to the window requesting Microsoft account access. Alt-tab won't pick it up for whatever reason. And you might have to restart the game after that.

Apart from that, I enjoyed my first run in Nowhere Prophet, even though I hadn't really liked the game when it first launched and got a refund. But that was such a long time ago, I can't point out the exact things that have changed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

lol I just checked out homeboy's ban history and saw him spew an angsty wall of text about some Qud change he didn't like that ended with "you quit and go play dungeonmans" There is no way Unormal/HoL would ever check in anything that bad.
You can no longer scum random mutations at level-up with the precognition power is the change. The seed for them is generated earlier. That's the change.

You can still reset the seed with some kind of rare consumable, though, I think.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The dev removed it as an exploit and that seems to be the main upsetting point for him. He's as upset at the reason it was removed as the removal itself, because it apparently marks the start of a slippery slope where Unormal reveals he hates all fun and admires all the Crawl devs have done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the RPG Mode in Cogmind actually feel more like a proper viable gamemode or does it lean more towards being "easy mode"?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

Does the RPG Mode in Cogmind actually feel more like a proper viable gamemode or does it lean more towards being "easy mode"?

RPG mode makes you sacrifice your entire backpack (so no utility swap items) so that your equipped items are more durable. Oh, and your hp bar is tiny and you can totally die 1:1 to something big. For an experience player that's a bit of a relief as you can craft a single rare item midgame and sit on it with no worries, but the game as a whole is still perfectly capable of shoving a foot up your arse. I would never call Cogmind 'easy'.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Everyone touts Cogmind's RPG mode as a solution to the game's problems but it feels like a nasty "oh, since you plebs don't appreciate my vision I'll give you easy mode" type thing.

Listen to the hatred and scorn dripping from Kyzrati's vile tongue as he speaks of the fetid multiple difficulty levels in Cogmind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtlZnLqmwfc&t=1184s

19:44

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Going back to In Celebration of Violence, the recent thread talk made me dust it off and play it enough to have my first run that just went insane and fun. Constantly surrounded by a field of pissed of foliage and flies, ice everywhere, all while breaking anything in my way with a gravestone on a stick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

Listen to the hatred and scorn dripping from Kyzrati's vile tongue as he speaks of the fetid multiple difficulty levels in Cogmind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtlZnLqmwfc&t=1184s

19:44

Kind of hilarious how in the end, it seems Packetmantis was just projecting his own preconceptions.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Kind of hilarious how in the end, it seems Packetmantis was just projecting his own preconceptions.

It's not like he put no thought into rpg mode either

https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2020/01/special-mode-design-rpglike/

Anyway, wasn't trying to dig on mantis, I just thought it was legitimately funny because it's so far off base, you don't put in the hours to add multiple difficulty settings and an entirely different core mode out of spite, you do it out of respect (or hell maybe I'm projecting and he did spend dozens of hours in a hate filled coding rampage :v:).

We could also just, like, ask him since he posts here :haw:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Don't forget the Cheers! crew (no DLC)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

angry about @s

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I haven't looked into too many 7DRLs, but I know some folks here have. My understanding is that the better ones pursue a focused idea and offer a bite size exploration of it.

Is there a list of the more interesting ones somewhere or could people mention ones they thought did something cool? I'm assuming they aren't generally fantasy dungeon focused without some kind of gimmick but I could be wrong.

Talking about how a Frasier RL would express itself has me interested in more weird and experimental designs, even if they aren't robust and fleshed out.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Call Your Grandma posted:

Don't forget the Cheers! crew (no DLC)

I want to play as Woody and Coach (RIP)! Both would be some type of idiot savant.

Carla would definitely be a berserker class.

This is a great idea. We need more classic sitcom roguelikes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wildtortilla posted:

I want to play as Woody and Coach (RIP)! Both would be some type of idiot savant.

Carla would definitely be a berserker class.

This is a great idea. We need more classic sitcom roguelikes.

Already picturing this in the Dungeonmans art style.

Quest item for Norm could be that paint sprayer that explodes and turns everything white, including him.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Already picturing this in the Dungeonmans art style.

Quest item for Norm could be that paint sprayer that explodes and turns everything white, including him.

Yes Yes Yes! A Painter class!!

Diane can read obscure poetry to put enemies to sleep!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Sorry, didn't know this was a Cogmind lovefest zone, drat. (Also I'm not a guy, stop assuming everyone online is.)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i'm holding out for the Hogan's Heroes mod for Dwarf Fortress

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you are going to make some weird post about a dev being an rear end for made up reasons people are going to call you out on it. ive barely played cogmind and dont have any real love for it. your post was just extremely stupid.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If anyone remembers Approaching Infinity, it looks like it is finally escaping the black hole of Shrapnel Games and getting a spot on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/551620/Approaching_Infinity/

But is it way, way too late for this game to be relevant to this thread? Will it have a price point under $40? Hard to say until August 5, when it unlocks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

doctorfrog posted:

If anyone remembers Approaching Infinity, it looks like it is finally escaping the black hole of Shrapnel Games and getting a spot on Steam.

But is it way, way too late for this game to be relevant to this thread? Will it have a price point under $40? Hard to say until August 5, when it unlocks!

*slams game onto wishlist*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I bought and played some Jupiter Hell because I liked the look of it after seeing it get some mention in here. Managed to clear it on Medium on my 4th run, but it was a very close run thing - 4hp, about 10 bullets left, no consumables of any kind remaining. Weirdly the best gun I got was from the first zone.

I like the risk/reward of going into Side Branches and Special Zones. You can kind of accumulate resources pretty well, but towards the end it gets a bit dicey to try and 100% clear everywhere and take the branches. And if you lack damage, ammo seems to become a big issue when you're in demon-y places.

One thing somebody with more experience could explain to me though, what's up with stuff like Sniper Rifles? There are even builds that seem to promote it. I'd love to play a more long range stealthy kind, but it just feels like...there's no point? You can't even see enemies at their max range unless I'm making a fundamental mistake. And like 90% of all combat takes place within like 6 squares or less. Also quite like to play melee build, can you do that from the start or do you have to spec into it first? Seems quite...dangerous?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

packetmantis posted:

Sorry, didn't know this was a Cogmind lovefest zone, drat. (Also I'm not a guy, stop assuming everyone online is.)

Since you're bad at reading tone, lemme break it down:

What happened was not:

You: "I'm not a fan of Cogmind and don't like it very much."
Thread: "Wow, look at this dumbass over here, can you imagine not liking this objectively superior game"

Instead, it was:

"The developer added an alternate gameplay mode, and one could easily tell that by doing so, he was being snotty and rude to the players."
"You're wrong, actually he did it as a response to criticism, and had a good time doing so."

It's one of like five or six alternate ways to play Cogmind, too, and as far as I'm aware there was no disdain involved in the creation of any of those, either.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Looks like a more polished Prospector, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I haven't looked into too many 7DRLs, but I know some folks here have. My understanding is that the better ones pursue a focused idea and offer a bite size exploration of it.

Is there a list of the more interesting ones somewhere or could people mention ones they thought did something cool? I'm assuming they aren't generally fantasy dungeon focused without some kind of gimmick but I could be wrong.

Talking about how a Frasier RL would express itself has me interested in more weird and experimental designs, even if they aren't robust and fleshed out.

Funny you should bring that up... The Cogmind dev literally just finished a series on exactly this topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Vti3s65nY

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I actually bought it at $40 and don't regret it, mostly because that type of game is extremely my poo poo. I would've expected more space-y roguelikes but AI is still pretty good albeit with its own flaws. It definitely will be less expensive according to the dev plus lots of new stuff for the Steam release.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

I actually bought it at $40 and don't regret it, mostly because that type of game is extremely my poo poo. I would've expected more space-y roguelikes but AI is still pretty good albeit with its own flaws. It definitely will be less expensive according to the dev plus lots of new stuff for the Steam release.

Whoah neat, is it good?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Awesome, I've been vaguely interested in the game for years but didn't feel like throwing $40 at some weird digital distro. Wishlisted.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Jeza posted:

I bought and played some Jupiter Hell because I liked the look of it after seeing it get some mention in here. Managed to clear it on Medium on my 4th run, but it was a very close run thing - 4hp, about 10 bullets left, no consumables of any kind remaining. Weirdly the best gun I got was from the first zone.

I like the risk/reward of going into Side Branches and Special Zones. You can kind of accumulate resources pretty well, but towards the end it gets a bit dicey to try and 100% clear everywhere and take the branches. And if you lack damage, ammo seems to become a big issue when you're in demon-y places.

One thing somebody with more experience could explain to me though, what's up with stuff like Sniper Rifles? There are even builds that seem to promote it. I'd love to play a more long range stealthy kind, but it just feels like...there's no point? You can't even see enemies at their max range unless I'm making a fundamental mistake. And like 90% of all combat takes place within like 6 squares or less. Also quite like to play melee build, can you do that from the start or do you have to spec into it first? Seems quite...dangerous?

So, snipers feel a little weird since Eagle Eye doesn’t increase LOS. I’m somewhat bad at the game but I’ve recently cleared a scout sniper on medium and splatted on hard. Here are my preliminary thoughts, I’m no expert. I can definitely be wrong.

First, an actual sniper rifle can one-shot some of the lesser mid-late threats. The main thing is critical hits can double up if your crit chance is over 100%. Talking at least 50 damage minimum with mediocre but relevant gear. As well, they are relatively less effected by heavy armor.

Second, visors have some great potential, but I’ve barely seen the tip of the iceberg.

Third, angles do increase the distance- even if you’re firing around a corner and only two tiles light up, you’re firing at range 3, I believe.

I’m going to look up some videos to see if I can clear it on hard, but on medium here’s what I’ve observed:

The Sniper perk is pretty essential, but Deadly Precision is a bit of a waste unless you get aim-related traits on a your hat (every visor I’ve gotten so far, at least one a game) or any gun you’re using. It’s pretty easy to start a majority of fights with a 70+ crit chance, which quickly transitions into a 170% crit chance.

Deadly Precision only really shines with some traits on your gear, stealth, or some short range weapons- I’m currently trying scavenger, gun hoarder, and hell runner before level 7 instead. But from stealth or aim assist it isn’t hard to get a 200% crit alpha strike. Otherwise you’re losing your sniper bonus at the same time.

While the Sniper trait only increase the crit on rifles, the effective range increase can make an SMG fairly flexible, though it’s really there for when something is on the other side of a door. Since a sniper is so ammo efficient and your main, you can afford a more wasteful holdout weapon.

I like the hunter rifle, but I prefer the 7.62 sniper in general. As you noted, the range is a bit excessive, especially once you factor in Eagle EYe and Sniper. The formula for range:

For every cell that exceeds e the chance-to-hit decreases by 100%/(m-e+1) and becomes zero when the distance exceeds m.

From this you can see that effective range is really the critical difference between a single shot and burst rifle, while the maximum range decreases the drop off after that.

A 7.62 AR has a base effective range of four, which makes utilizing that 100%

My next run I’m going to see how an AR plays out with the master sniper trait in comparison.

And then compare that to a fresh sniper run to see if there really is a point; but I will point out that the scouts energy resource is a little weird - stealth is reliable but I’m not sure about leveraging it frequently without thinking hard about it.

If I revisit this topic I’ll probably be more to the point because I’ll have an Opinion, rather than just poo poo I tried. OTOH, I'm keeping an eye on a threatening hurricane so I may just gently caress off the forums for a while.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 31, 2020

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Rogue Your Enthusiasm:

- dungeons are restaurant lunches, dinner parties, golf courses
- enrage mechanic vs opponents
- area bosses are shopkeepers, dry cleaner, head waiter, etc.
- main bosses include Suzie, Ted Danson, Mocha Joe. Recruit Jeff and Leon as NPC allies
- item qualities: "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good shoes"

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 31, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I’m no expert for Jupiter Hell, but I do know that getting the double-barrel shogun and the Army of Darkness perk is crazy op. When you get the perk, it converts all shogun damage to armor piercing and then maxes out the range of shoguns. Then if you have reload dance, it auto reloads on every kill. You clear groups real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

victrix posted:

Funny you should bring that up... The Cogmind dev literally just finished a series on exactly this topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Vti3s65nY

Oh drat, I think that's the first video I've seen of anyone playing my submission. That's really cool!

And also makes me appreciate just how much having access to an in-person playtester or two would have helped while working on it.

I never posted about it in this thread, did I? Check it out here!

It's my attempt to make a real-time roguelike that keeps the strategic pace of a classic turn-based roguelike. You start with two basic abilities (dash and slash), and pick up unidentified rods and potions that gives you extra options. Once you use one fully up it gives you a permanent stat boost, too.

10 levels, 26 monsters (one per letter of the alphabet), and the ability to stop time at will. Let me know what you think!