Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I mean, I don't disagree but have you considered playing a budget UW deck? It costs nothing, it's packed with really cool birbs that will make you smile and when Ugin comes down you just cast Laughty Denial and get to hang out a full extra turn with your awesome pals before winning the game. (you can even high five the birbs that have arms! :3::hf::wotwot:)

hmm yes but you get a lot more high fives if you play mono blue with octopi and lofty denial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Funkdreamer posted:

They should do an alternate win-con event where you can't die to damage or decking. Proooobably with Thassa's Oracle banned.

Edit: Etrata, Atemsis, and Vraska should all be in there too

And every deck will have four platinum angels.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you have to complain about a creature you should be pointing literally all of your ire towards Uro

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Eej posted:

If you have to complain about a creature you should be pointing literally all of your ire towards Uro

gently caress you I will always complain about Ulamog not having an animation.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Carillon posted:

While we're complaining about cards I'd like to bitch about Ugin. It just sucks all the remaining fun out of the game to me.

Yeah.. there's lots of games where I've been way behind against an interesting-looking deck, and then just Oogey'd them out of existence. Does feel fun-policey sometimes, and the drawback of the card - costing 8 - just isn't that big of a hurdle right now (you can often even get to Ugin + counter backup mana if you're in a dedicated ramp deck).

I don't think Ugin is wrecking the competitive meta, but he definitely poops on the casual meta in Arena.

I'll admit I do enjoy it when someone's spamming "Good Game" because they have 50 things out while you have 3 life left and no cards.. and then Ugin shows up and you just win anyway.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What the gently caress, I waded through so much bullshit and was going to get mythic but when I won the match it came up as defeat!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

What the gently caress, I waded through so much bullshit and was going to get mythic but when I won the match it came up as defeat!

did you try to win by milling?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Picture this: Faerie Vandal + Curious Obsession.

The only thing bigger than my brain is my ego :smug:

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Pfft. I've been mutating sea-dasher octopus onto Faerie Vandals since Ikoria came out. I wish the draw 2 deck was fun. It's not good, but I'd like to play it more if it were at least fun.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

fadam posted:

For the Bo1 part I think Goblins, RDW, or Temur Rec pre-boarded for those two are the best options. The combo decks I think are really going to struggle with how high velocity the format is.

I spent an hour testing breach in BO1 anyway to confirm this for myself last night and it was not fun at all to get slapped about constantly by every form of aggro, I won one game because they conceded as I started going off but as I'm so new to the deck I was pretty sure I was going to fizzle.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
This makes up for Spooky Dinos, not playing either of those again.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jmzero posted:

Yeah.. there's lots of games where I've been way behind against an interesting-looking deck, and then just Oogey'd them out of existence. Does feel fun-policey sometimes, and the drawback of the card - costing 8 - just isn't that big of a hurdle right now (you can often even get to Ugin + counter backup mana if you're in a dedicated ramp deck).

I don't think Ugin is wrecking the competitive meta, but he definitely poops on the casual meta in Arena.

I'll admit I do enjoy it when someone's spamming "Good Game" because they have 50 things out while you have 3 life left and no cards.. and then Ugin shows up and you just win anyway.

Snap concede to Ugin is the new snap concede to Agent.

The big problem is the ramp though. Spiral > Uro > Nissa > Ugin is pretty backbreaking for anything that's not running counterspells or winning on turn 4. Fortunately two of those are going away in September.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Grazer is also rotating out with Spiral and Nissa, thank god. I dunno who the gently caress thought the ramp decks one-drop should also have the best defensive body on a one drop possible.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We do retain at least one one-drop ramp creature that can block fliers (Goose) but it's at least a point smaller and can only ramp once without spending mana to reload it, so it's not anywhere near as long-term useful as Grazer.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
There's a world of difference between land based ramp and creature based ramp and that's the actual part that's a problem with ramp right now so I'm looking forward to this rotation.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Grazer, though, was great for being a card where a certain subset of people would argue your head off about how it was fundamentally, structurally and universally a bad card. Though some just meant it was bad in limited.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm also somewhat glad that Paradise Druid is leaving. While hardly a major problem on it's own, god do I hate a bird that you can't bolt.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Paradise druid going is a mixed blessing, it's annoying to play against but it's also the single best mutate and aura target.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/brewers_kitchen/status/1288899771298656257?s=21

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this rules lmao

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just played against a very strange deck.
Blue white manabase with beacons and the UWR triome.
The main card they played was Garruck cursed huntsman. Followed it up with spark double and all the proliferate cards, to get those wolf tokens bigger with garrucks ultimate.
Managed to ultimate 3 times in successive turns without doing anything useful before or after. Though he did manage to trick me into discarding my first shatter the sky.

That is their garruck, I run mass manipulation in my wishboard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sound on by the way!

Video also represents my last week or so getting to Mythic for the first loving time! Really wish I'd just put the time in before Jumpstart came out!

Finished on one of the Sacdos decks (non-Citadel version, but I also tried that one) after getting to mid diamond with Vampires, mostly before Jumpstart launched.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Grazer is the worst card for me to see when playing u tempo. Just stone cold shuts me down so I gotta go super wide and try to counter everything to ping away over so many turns. Brazen borrower returning grazers feels real bad y’all!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can also just not play a deck that is flummoxed by a 1 mana 0/3 with Reach

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

grazer makes hypnotic spectre and thief of sanity cry, which is really its biggest sin. It is otherwise a good card.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Eej posted:

It’s a real good deck tho and v fun

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sound on by the way!

Video also represents my last week or so getting to Mythic for the first loving time! Really wish I'd just put the time in before Jumpstart came out!

Finished on one of the Sacdos decks (non-Citadel version, but I also tried that one) after getting to mid diamond with Vampires, mostly before Jumpstart launched.

Congrats!

uggy posted:

Grazer is the worst card for me to see when playing u tempo. Just stone cold shuts me down so I gotta go super wide and try to counter everything to ping away over so many turns. Brazen borrower returning grazers feels real bad y’all!

If you’re losing with mono blue you gotta up your AlphaBrain supplements

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I said nothing about losing! I am only a winner

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My apologies *samurai bow*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

sorry my brain is far too large to play anything but mono blue shitters and i'm all out of ideas

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If The Mountain Goats guy can make Mythic with this fuckin pile:
https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1288948152201027585?s=20

There's absolutely no excuse for any of us to not do it every season. Lets try our best out there everyone!!

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 30, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

If The Mountain Goats guy can make Mythic with this fuckin pile:
https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1288948152201027585?s=20

There's absolutely no excuse for any of us to not do it every season. Lets try our best out there everyone!!

He's the lead for The Mountain Goats. If that deck had a 50.0001% win rate he'd still make because come on, what else is he doing?

edit: the gently caress, there are 75 goddamn cards and I didn't even notice

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

He's the lead for The Mountain Goats. If that deck had a 50.0001% win rate he'd still make because come on, what else is he doing?

John Darnielle is probably significantly more productive than the vast majority of people who post in this thread, myself included. How dare you. He just dropped a new album a few months ago!!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

John Darnielle is probably significantly more productive than the vast majority of people who post in this thread, myself included. How dare you. He just dropped a new album a few months ago!!

I know, and i loving love his books, they're so good :(

I'm just bitter that I can't netdeck my way to mythic and he puts a deck with 28 lands and a bunch of bullshit and cruises to victory.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I know, and i loving love his books, they're so good :(

I'm just bitter that I can't netdeck my way to mythic and he puts a deck with 28 lands and a bunch of bullshit and cruises to victory.

I sincerely doubt he cruised lol.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Have you read his books though? Wolf in White Van is incredible.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have not, but I’ve always wanted to.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I found a situation where you can get 30 cards for only 4 wildcards:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I was four wins away from Mythic and now I'm back to Diamond 3 RIP PERU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

VictualSquid posted:

I found a situation where you can get 30 cards for only 4 wildcards:

Idgi