Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pylons posted:

The way I justify it in my head is that if the competitor wants the match to go on they won't end it on a DQ. So someone like Moxley should never end a match on a DQ.

Yeah, I'm kind of ok with it. Like I can't remember if they've had a DQ yet but I think they probably have to book a couple of matches where someone is beatdown or hurt or the match is genuinely "over" and they call a DQ so we can establish the rules. But like I'm ok with the basic idea that the ref says "Do you want to continue?" and as long as the answer is "yes" we keep going. Only a weasel heel really wants the DQ W.

Like I think back to that first Dynamite main event and how many people were upset that they didn't call a DQ when Moxley attacked Omega and dragged him out to the back. But you know, the Bucks wanted to keep competing so they kept the match going. That makes a certain sense to me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I always kind of assumed tornado tag matches were No DQ by default

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I sort of assumed tornado tag matches were already no dq

E: yeah that poster gets it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it feels weird because Darby is the face and Starks is not portrayed as a deathmatch guy like Janela or Luther, so it comes off as the good guy attacking the unsuspecting bad guy with a weapon. also Darby is an abusive rear end in a top hat in real life, and it reinforces that.

Janela took the bump last year and didnt seem nearly as hosed up as Starks was. the board slipped off Starks' back which left the long slash marks. a flat tack bump isnt nearly as bad.

it's hard to compare exactly what darby/janela and darby/Starks did differently but Darby seems incredibly reckless with his owns bumps and keeps injuring himself and now he's getting other people hurt so gently caress him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Starks isn't a deathmatch guy but he is a "set myself on fire wrestling a broom on a youtube video" guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Reality Protester posted:

it feels weird because Darby is the face and Starks is not portrayed as a deathmatch guy like Janela or Luther, so it comes off as the good guy attacking the unsuspecting bad guy with a weapon.

I think you can rationalize it as justified considering Cage and Starks have been doing cheap attacks. Didn't Starks hit Darby with a chair on Dark to start this?

Darby's not really the kind of face who worries about that kind of thing anyway. Which is certainly much of his appeal to those he still appeals to.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 31, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

he's not even injured you fuckin weirdos it's just a few scrapes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So it's NOT ok when Rey Mysterio shoot 619s Cody, shattering his face but it is OK for Darby to construct a shoot tack skateboard and shoot drive the tacks into the back of Ricky Starks? Hypocrisy much AEWailures?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Tazz was going off that Darby brought a weapon into what was not a no dq/hardcore match and he was 100% correct.

It was definitely announced as a No DQ match at the start of the show. It was in the graphic, and the announcers said it.

Edit:

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 31, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I dont like Darby so I'm definitely biased and im okay with that

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I was with ya’ll on the spot was dangerous but this level of over thinking about is beyond me. I wish the episode had been better so there’d be something else to discuss.

MJF cut an all time promo at least

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

*saunters up to AEW counter*
I would like one Starks/Moxley singles feud, please.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

smarxist posted:

Mox and Darby are going to destroy each other and i'm going to hoot and holler

Mox and Darby are going to write a love letter to Minoru Suzuki in a wrestling match.

STAC Goat posted:

See I would like Darby to go away because he seems like an abusive rear end in a top hat so when he does spots like that something says "oh, that's an abusive rear end in a top hat doing that" instead of "what a spot."

aka that Kobe Bryant year where he was being tried for rape and announcers felt weird praising his work ethic.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i hope with ftr signing their contract they can afford more than styrofoam beer coolers. we had a cool old metal one as a kid and the plastic onces can be really nice.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

AEW in general seems to play fast and loose with the idea that anyone can possibly get DQed. Inner Circle interferes, guys like Darby and Havoc use weapons. The unstated rule seems to be "if the match can continue we won't stop it."

Yeah it rules.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Things that I really enjoyed last night:

WARHORSE
WARHORSE's Music
The Tag Title Match
MJF's Amazing Promo: I'd Vote For Him
The Tornado Tag and Taz's Body Guys specifically

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

ftr are going to force the first ever dq and I'm sad it won't be in front of an audience because the heat would blow the roof off

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sorry if this point has already been raised, but I actually kind of like them bringing in what's her face who doesn't know how pinning works if they are doing a meta "Nyla gets saddled with a partner who is comically terrible, but it doesn't matter and she's still going to win or get close to it," thing. She's perfect for that. Just give her a single moment as comedic as the botched pin every match and then have it be just Nyla the rest of the time.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

can’t wait until #9 is revealed to be kairi hojo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Lone Goat posted:

he's not even injured you fuckin weirdos it's just a few scrapes

he died

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was a no DQ match, they mentioned it was a No DQ match. You guys are weird.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

also DQ finishes suck

every match from now on should be No DQ

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Every match should be no DQ but also end in a no-contest when one wrestler kicks too much rear end.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dimebags Brain posted:

WARHORSE
WARHORSE's Music

The thing is, they have to bring WARHORSE back because it would be immoral to let that song be a one-time use.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Critical posted:

ftr are going to force the first ever dq and I'm sad it won't be in front of an audience because the heat would blow the roof off

PAC already got the first ever DQ in the iron man against Kenny.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dimebags Brain posted:

WARHORSE
WARHORSE's Music
The Tag Title Match
MJF's Amazing Promo: I'd Vote For Him
The Tornado Tag and Taz's Body Guys specifically

yea same

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I miss Pac :(

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Seams posted:

I miss Pac :(

He’ll be back someday and somehow will have more abs than ever before

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Cameo posted:

I hope he gets abs on his back

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sorry if this point has already been raised, but I actually kind of like them bringing in what's her face who doesn't know how pinning works if they are doing a meta "Nyla gets saddled with a partner who is comically terrible, but it doesn't matter and she's still going to win or get close to it," thing. She's perfect for that. Just give her a single moment as comedic as the botched pin every match and then have it be just Nyla the rest of the time.

If they tell her to botch the pin she’ll do it right and win!!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when cameron walked into the picture she did it in a really awkward messed up way and had to turn around weirdly and i thought maybe that was already an intentional mistake??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not only do I not understand the Cameron thing but I don't understand why AEW expected us to recognize her. And why people did. I'm apparently very out of touch with the Funckadactyls era of wrestling.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cavauro posted:

when cameron walked into the picture she did it in a really awkward messed up way and had to turn around weirdly and i thought maybe that was already an intentional mistake??

brilliant plan picking up the historically incompetent worker, every time she fucks up we'll try to figure out if it's a work! next level poo poo big tony

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

might i say cameron was on actual wwe tv longer than shawn spears

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Not only do I not understand the Cameron thing but I don't understand why AEW expected us to recognize her. And why people did. I'm apparently very out of touch with the Funckadactyls era of wrestling.

I'm very ashamed that her brief catchphrase "Girl Bye" was in my brain enough that I was able to immediately recognize her when she said Girl Hi.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

The Cameo posted:

Now I wanna see Balor vs Pac vs Ishimori

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Seams posted:

i don't wanna see someone phone it in against two greats

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Seams posted:

vs Tony Nese

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
First person to eat a carb loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

i hope with ftr signing their contract they can afford more than styrofoam beer coolers. we had a cool old metal one as a kid and the plastic onces can be really nice.

But styrofoam explodes so cool

It’s all like KABOOM styrofoam and ice everywhere!