Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shenmue is a bit rough and the attitude is a little too earnest, but I do recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
From what I can tell the difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is that Yakuza is intentional comedy and Shenmue is unintentional comedy, if that makes any sense.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
okay am I crazy or is there not a way to repair weapons in kiwami 2

also should i get judgement for $23 on this PSN sale or should i actually play the other several yakuza games i already own

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wolfsheim posted:

also should i get judgement for $23 on this PSN sale or should i actually play the other several yakuza games i already own

Good price for Judgment at least and it's totally standalone from the rest of them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wolfsheim posted:

That's a great price. I think judgment is worse than pretty much every Yakuza game but I'm in the minority on that

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mycot posted:

From what I can tell the difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is that Yakuza is intentional comedy and Shenmue is unintentional comedy, if that makes any sense.

Shenmue is "what if the wacky weirdness of Yakuza was considered normal and played completely straight and self-serious"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dLREkbMGg

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mister No posted:

also, is the Omi Alliance a completely separate entity from the Tojo Clan? i'm assuming it is, but just wanted to make sure.
Yeah. The Omi-rengo is loosely based on the real-world Yamaguchi-gumi. They're the largest yakuza organisation in Japan and are based in the Kansai region (although in Kobe instead of Osaka).

The Tojo-kai is loosely based on the Sumiyoshi-kai, which is the second-largest yakuza organisation. Like the Tojo, they're based in Tokyo, and operate in Kabukicho (the district in Shinjuku which Kamurocho is a thinly-veiled version of).

Both real-world groups are tiny compared to their RGG counterparts--in the games Omi and Tojo have more than 20k members each, while the Yamaguichi-gumi and Sumiyoshi-kai probably have less than 15k members between them.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

longshot but has anyone played Y7 in Japanese? i'm tempted to buy it instead of waiting for the English release.

i'm decent at japanese (able to read Japanese novels, news articles) but would probably have trouble if the game is very colloquial.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

shrike82 posted:

longshot but has anyone played Y7 in Japanese? i'm tempted to buy it instead of waiting for the English release.

i'm decent at japanese (able to read Japanese novels, news articles) but would probably have trouble if the game is very colloquial.

im about to blow your mind

so you know how in english games, you can turn on english subtitles so you can read what's being said if you can't hear/understand it well? well, if you can read japanese, you can just switch on the subs for when it gets too gotoku for you lol

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 30, 2020

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Re: Shenmue

You know how Yakuza always feels like it's rushing you to the next plot point even though there are millions of side things to do? Shenmue has more of a cadence to it. You wake up, follow leads, kill some time here and there and come home before curfew. You'll develop little habits like stopping in the convenience store or grabbing a few capsule toys out of a machine you always walk past. Compared to Yakuza it barely has any fighting. Instead of the non stop bombast it's very straitlaced and earnest, almost in a corny way. I love the series, even 3, and I'd definitely recommend it, just be ready for something a bit slower and quieter.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Kiwami 2 :gonk:

I liked that you see him later in the Coliseum and his fighting style is 'infant' :laffo:

I also just finished the bit where you meet the Florist in his new high-tech government office but had to laugh when he mentioned bringing along his old crew and they're all inexplicably still wearing their homeless guy clothes from the last game. Yakuza is just so wonderfully dumb sometimes:allears:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a better encapsulation of the Yakuza substories than Be My Baby?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So far, just a little bit in to Saejima's story in Yakuza 5 and I like his character far more already. I didn't like him at all in Yakuza 4, but he's a lot better here. But boy does it feel like I'm the one spending three years in prison.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

screaden posted:

Is there a better encapsulation of the Yakuza substories than Be My Baby?

I think the pizza one from 0 is probably the single best one in the series for that because it’s so absurdly multilayered. 20 year old Kiryu going to Yakuza McDonalds for a pizza because it’s the closest thing he knows that sells western food then being unable to comprehend the idea of delivery so he asks the cashier to call Pizza Hut for him is already a great bit. but THEN you have to walk the pizza you had delivered to Smile Burger back while an intense track plays. And then the conclusion is weird as gently caress like most substories and a little uncomfortable but the Pizza-La guy’s silent fistpump as everyone enjoys a Pizza-La pizza is probably the most Yakuza-rear end thing I can think of.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Ok so I just finished Kiwami 2 and I don't actually have that much to say about it other than:

1) I miss Rush style
2) That was a very cool story with lots of twists and turns and the eleventh hour antagonist reveal(s) didn't piss me off like in the first one (seriously jingu sucks so bad)
3) Felt like the Jingweon Mafia storyline took up maybe slightly too much of the game's runtime, I'd have liked a bit more focus on the Omi guys, but they like, disappear from the second act of the game entirely.
4) The game softlocked on me as I was finishing a Clan Battle (and had just spent the last hour and a half doing nothing but that minigame) so I promptly said "cool gently caress this I'm going to see how this storyline wraps up on youtube I guess" because it was not fun the first time and I sure as gently caress am not gonna do all those missions a second time. Which is a shame, because I was excited to fight the old wrestlers. I'd even spent several hours doing the Cabaret Club storyline to get the money to blow on the Clan gacha to recruit all the modern New Japan guys like Okada and Naito. Oh well.

I don't have the Remastered Collection yet but once it hits my arbitrary "now it's cheap enough" price threshold I'll pick it up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a recurring theme in this series is that foreign organized crime is so much scarier and more dangerous than good old down home organized crime. the jingweon got so much more focus than the omi because k2 is a very racist game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont wanna spoil myself so im not quoting your post but i dont miss rush style because it was basically 99% of every boss fight

edit: until you have the stats and ability to go beast mode and just block and backcrack

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 30, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Who needs Rush when you have Bike. Very serious.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Started 0 on legend, got all the way to fighting my way to Kuze, got beat, and learned it doesn't checkpoint, sending me all the way back to my very first save of the run. That's a harsh lesson I needed to learn on being a bit more cautious.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mordiceius posted:

So far, just a little bit in to Saejima's story in Yakuza 5 and I like his character far more already. I didn't like him at all in Yakuza 4, but he's a lot better here. But boy does it feel like I'm the one spending three years in prison.

I really liked both Saejima and Akiyama way more in 5 than 4.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want to make a confession. I have every Yakuza game since the third. Including imports of isshin and Kenzen. I've only made it past the first chapter in zero. And I only got to the fourth chapter in it. Please forgive me. Pool and darts are just too great a temptation for one such as me.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I want to make a confession. I have every Yakuza game since the third. Including imports of isshin and Kenzen. I've only made it past the first chapter in zero. And I only got to the fourth chapter in it. Please forgive me. Pool and darts are just too great a temptation for one such as me.

Send me ishin and kenzan & I'll personally make sure you're forgiven

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean, as long as you're having fun, what's the problem?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It only really hut me when I realized I had 49 hours in Yakuza four and hadn't gotten past akiyamas story

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh man, just wait until you get to the cabaret club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7KVUdv69A0

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

It only really hut me when I realized I had 49 hours in Yakuza four and hadn't gotten past akiyamas story

i would say that you are playing the games as intended. the people who just zip through the story without stopping to smell the flowers have something wrong with them

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Spending the most time with the best boy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
some wacky takes on shenmue in this thread!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

some wacky takes on shenmue in this thread!

I agree. Anyone who enjoys Shenmue is wack.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder if YLAD 2 will feature Akiyama and Saejima again, would kind of suck not to use them again

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

The real question is what jav stars will appear in 8

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a recurring theme in this series is that foreign organized crime is so much scarier and more dangerous than good old down home organized crime. the jingweon got so much more focus than the omi because k2 is a very racist game.

I haven't played original since it came out but I think they toned down the racism a lot for K2. Like, Osaka cop not being Korean by birth was treated like a huge source of relief.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I agree. Anyone who enjoys Shenmue is wack.

Trip report: I played through Shenmue waiting for this neat open world to become interesting but it appears nearly all of the content is just filler? They recorded lines for every single character, but the vast majority of them don't actually say anything meaningful, even by JRPG standards. I beat the game and 3/4 of the gameplay was either driving a forklift (in a tedious, simulated work way) or asking strangers for directions.

Now I'm playing Shenmue 2. It's bigger and has some more modern conveniences like a minimap. The fact that it's so much larger just makes the uselessness of the open world even more infuriating. Where are all of the sidequests that should be here? Am I just supposed to talk to every single person until something happens? Still, I can't pull myself away from this terrible game

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rt4 posted:

Am I just supposed to talk to every single person until something happens?

Pretty much. Shenmue is all about “run around, talk to everyone. Hope something happens, but it probably won’t. The one person you need to talk to, you spoke to during the morning when you needed to talk in the evening.

How did you like the hunt for sailors?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Side quests in Shenmue are pretty nonexistent for the most part until 3 explicitly added a bunch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shenmue was very innovative for its time but yakuza does it better.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shenmue is definitely in the "ambitious but broken" category in a way that is usually reserved for PC games

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There is a loving vision to Shenmue. Too bad the execution is trash.

Also lol @ the fact that Shenmue 1 is supposed to be part 1 of like a 16 episode journey.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m sick to death of trying to explain why I like Shenmue and stuff. It’s trying to do something pretty different from Yakuza and I wish people would stop saying “Yakuza does what Shenmue was trying to do”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, Shenmue and Yakuza are virtually nothing alike outside of "there's a city/town the main character walks around" and even then, the way they approach that is different.