Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I have gone down a real rabbit-hole looking into the economics of building a Pitch & Putt course. It's not as expensive as I imagined, outside of the initial land purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daric posted:

I have gone down a real rabbit-hole looking into the economics of building a Pitch & Putt course. It's not as expensive as I imagined, outside of the initial land purchase.

There used to be a 9 hole par 3 course in Edgewater. It's long gone I'm sure but I remember fondly going out there with my dad with some wedges and a putter playing a round.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Progress Report: Called lostgolfballs a second time, and actually reached a customer service guy. Took 10 seconds and he is emailing a shipping label and sending out the replacement 4 dozen. Great response, and assuming the replacement shipment is good, and I have zero concerns about it given the experiences of everyone else, I'll be good to go.

It's funny, but having a business make a mistake is the best way to see how good they are. Good feelings so far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We had one here that was connected to a driving range and it changed ownership twice and finally closed the pitch/putt permanently. I get the feeling those kind of places either get super heavy use or none at all, nothing in between.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

We had one here that was connected to a driving range and it changed ownership twice and finally closed the pitch/putt permanently. I get the feeling those kind of places either get super heavy use or none at all, nothing in between.

We had the same in my little neighborhood across the street from Champions Golf Course growing up. When the new owners took over they closed the pitch and putt and converted the land to a driving range, installed a giant patio, and opened a restaurant & bar. The restaurant and bar are super popular to the point where they eventually closed the driving range too and added volleyball courts across the grass.

Then every other driving range not connected to a private course closed in the area and there's nowhere for people to go hit balls. Now they've added the driving range back to the place but it's only 8 or 9 slots. Just a wacky deal.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Anyone have any experience with the G410 driver? I haven't hit a driver in 6+ years, normally tee off with my 3wd or 4iron. But today I swung by golf & ski and tried out a G410 LST and smacked it pretty well according to trackman. They only had a stiff shaft (I usually hit an x-stiff) and a 55g weight, and the guy thought I was going a little too high on most of my shots. He gave me a taylormade sim with a 75g x-stiff but it was a few inches longer and although I hit it okay I didn't quite feel the magic.

It's hard because this store apparently doesn't usually have x-stiff shafts in stock for the pings so I can't try before I buy (or I need to go somewhere else or figure something else out). And 2nd swing seems like their Ping x-stiff stock is always pretty low.

(these were my three best shots that I sent to my dad to lightly troll him about my swing. But I was pretty consistently putting it 250-270 total and on the fairway, if a bit high until we took it down to 8 degrees).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Petey posted:

Anyone have any experience with the G410 driver? I haven't hit a driver in 6+ years, normally tee off with my 3wd or 4iron. But today I swung by golf & ski and tried out a G410 LST and smacked it pretty well according to trackman. They only had a stiff shaft (I usually hit an x-stiff) and a 55g weight, and the guy thought I was going a little too high on most of my shots. He gave me a taylormade sim with a 75g x-stiff but it was a few inches longer and although I hit it okay I didn't quite feel the magic.

It's hard because this store apparently doesn't usually have x-stiff shafts in stock for the pings so I can't try before I buy (or I need to go somewhere else or figure something else out). And 2nd swing seems like their Ping x-stiff stock is always pretty low.

(these were my three best shots that I sent to my dad to lightly troll him about my swing. But I was pretty consistently putting it 250-270 total and on the fairway, if a bit high until we took it down to 8 degrees).

See my previous posts but I just got the 410LST. I loving love it. I got custom fitted though with a very non standard shaft through so I can’t comment on the stock ones. I hit every new driver out there and the Ping performed the best for me.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

mattfl posted:

See my previous posts but I just got the 410LST. I loving love it. I got custom fitted though with a very non standard shaft through so I can’t comment on the stock ones. I hit every new driver out there and the Ping performed the best for me.

thanks!

e: that post was super helpful, actually. The rep was somewhat trying to steer me to the Sim because when I missed I tended to miss on the heel, but I also just couldn't bring myself to like it. The angles felt weird and I didn't feel in control of it.

Also, I'm probably going to end up with a 75g x-stiff shaft so if you have any recs in that department that would be great. My driver swing speed was consistently 115 so roughly the same zone as you I think.

Petey fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2020

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Which shaft you put into your driver is probably more important in the overall results than which head you're using. Following that, it's nearly impossible to recommend a shaft based only on swing speed because what profile of shaft will be good for you is dependent on way more than just your clubhead speed.

How smooth (or not) your transition is, what your launch characteristics are, whether you hit a fade or a draw, how high you tee the ball, how far forward in your stance you tee the ball, ...etc. all will cater towards different shafts, even at the same weight.

You really need to go somewhere that has a variety of shafts to try out if you're even considering spending the money for a non-OEM shaft to pair with your driver.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thanks! I might go back in for a driver fitting there. I just did an iron fitting last time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

Which shaft you put into your driver is probably more important in the overall results than which head you're using. Following that, it's nearly impossible to recommend a shaft based only on swing speed because what profile of shaft will be good for you is dependent on way more than just your clubhead speed.

How smooth (or not) your transition is, what your launch characteristics are, whether you hit a fade or a draw, how high you tee the ball, how far forward in your stance you tee the ball, ...etc. all will cater towards different shafts, even at the same weight.

You really need to go somewhere that has a variety of shafts to try out if you're even considering spending the money for a non-OEM shaft to pair with your driver.

Yeah, I'm trying for a pga van fitting for that reason, but drat those appointments are tough to get.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is the quality Bryson content I want to see more of.

https://twitter.com/SamBorden/status/1288996643401093123

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

This is the quality Bryson content I want to see more of.

https://twitter.com/SamBorden/status/1288996643401093123

I enjoyed his attempt to get relief by claiming a dangerous animal exception. What a tool.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Petey posted:

thanks!

e: that post was super helpful, actually. The rep was somewhat trying to steer me to the Sim because when I missed I tended to miss on the heel, but I also just couldn't bring myself to like it. The angles felt weird and I didn't feel in control of it.

Also, I'm probably going to end up with a 75g x-stiff shaft so if you have any recs in that department that would be great. My driver swing speed was consistently 115 so roughly the same zone as you I think.

Like BCRock is super dependent on your swing. Before we even started messing with driver heads we went thru like 8 different shafts of various weights/brands until we narrowed it down to 2 that produced similar results and were in 2 different price ranges. I wound up in a Oban Devotion Reserve 75g X shaft which was the lower priced shaft but the higher price shaft was generally only 1 or 2 yards longer so I didn't feel it was worth the jump in price.

Once we had the shaft nailed down then we went on to driver heads. I really wanted to like the new Sim, but even with the right shaft I could not hit it well at all compared to the Ping or the new Callaway, so right away it wasn't an option. I hit the new Titleist well but didn't care for the overall look of the driver, the Ping and Callaway gave me the best results and were close enough in yardage/dispersion that it came down to looks/sound and I liked the Ping better than the Callaway.

It really is worth going to a proper club fitter that has a large selection of shafts/heads and proper equipment and getting fit. I used the local Club Champion here in Orlando and would recommend it to anyone. They have them all over so maybe see if they have one in your area.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Anyone else wish Mark Crossfield had not signed a deal with Srixon?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

I enjoyed his attempt to get relief by claiming a dangerous animal exception. What a tool.

Lmao. I think the main reason he bulked up was because Brooks kicked sand in his face.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Went to a 45 minute practice at the PGA superstore . Mainly, I wanted some more precise info on carry distances. Mostly unsurprised by the results, but was ready to call it worthless right off the bat.

Took driver, 3,5w, 5i and 19 and 22 hybrids for the info. Also had my 45 degree pitching wedge to warm up and check their numbers. On warmups, the wedge was consistently 145 instead of my expected, and played to on course, 155. Worrying.

5i was longer than expected, but consistent with my recent results.

3w longer than expected, but consistent with what I'd thought were outlier results, same for 5w. 19 hybrid dead on my normal numbers, 22 dead on.

Back to the PW. First hit, 155. Ok, but then consistently 145-150, with occasional 155, never longer. The good news was, that club never got more than a few yards off line. All the others were right, even though not slicing....just an alignment issue with the machine I guess.

I'm left with not much confidence in the results, although enjoyable. Gonna make me try that 3 and 5w off the tee more.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

145-155 is a pretty big PW, even if you're playing a set with jacked lofts. My PW is back to a 135-140 club since I picked up the MP20 blades and lately I've been doing better hitting 90% shots with my irons and wedges so that's what I've been playing. I've actually been crazy consistent with my 50 degree gap wedge for 100 yard shots with a 75% swing so on some holes I've been trying to leave myself 100 yards to the pin rather than just pounding driver as far as possible, with pretty good results.

This morning I had a practice round for a Member-Guest tournament that is tomorrow and Sunday, and has ~110 teams with a lot of money thrown around in the Calcutta and other side bets. I drove the ball worse than I have all year but we still were several shots under par which is encouraging. After the round I went to my home course and played another 18 and just kept the clubface closed on my backswing on every drive and was driving it very well so I'm pretty optimistic for this weekend.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

145-155 is a pretty big PW, even if you're playing a set with jacked lofts. My PW is back to a 135-140 club since I picked up the MP20 blades and lately I've been doing better hitting 90% shots with my irons and wedges so that's what I've been playing.

Was going to say the same thing. A 155y PW is in newly jacked-up Bryson territory for distance. PGA tour average carry with a PW is ~135y.

My Srixon Z785 PW is 46* and a nice full swing is carrying 135y because I swing a little bit faster than tour average, but launch the ball a bit higher than tour average.

Edit: Looked back at some old posts and noticed that you are/were playing at 7K feet, so that would explain it if that's still the case...

BCRock fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 31, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hit irons long. PW, 155, 9 165, 8 175, etc... But, I'm also at 5600 feet for most rounds, 7200 occasionally.

My 50 degree is 130, can be stretched, 54 110, some leeway, and my 58 100, no stretch.

Edit: I went thru a phase of always hitting to my favorite approach distance, someone on this forum talked me into getting as close as possible, now I'm back to either trying to get it on or at least to chip range, or leaving a full swing in. Much better results.

https://twitter.com/Skratch/status/1289289574292901889?s=19

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 1, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn’t get the reference, had to look this up
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1288949354737422340?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

On the one hand I would want to stab Bryson to death if I was playing with him, and it's brutal TV to watch.

On the other, there's a twisted part of me that loves that he's studied the hell out of the rulebook and is exploiting the hell out of it wherever possible.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I mean, a burrowing animal hole would refer to like a mole or gopher, not a couple of fire ants.

Also he’s from Dallas. I can assure you he’s had plenty of experience with fire ants. This was some bullshit.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Last 3 rounds since I’ve figured out my new driver. Who knew golf would be easier when you’re confidant you can hit fairways!

Today should’ve been lower, I 3 putted on a par 5 where I got on in 2 and 17 is a drivable par 4(290) where I put it just in the rough off the green pin high and proceeded to put my chip 20’ by on what suddenly became the fastest green we played on all day and missed the comeback for birdie :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shot a 43 , best nine hole round of my life. Switching to a blade putter has made a huge difference and making myself take practice shots on every stroke. Golf is the absolute best when you're playing well.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 2, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lostgolfballs update 2.

Got the replacement batch. I'd say they either sent me 4 dozen new balls, or really fantastic refurbs.

First, no ball marks on any ball. Second, 49 all number 1. Is that usual?

I'm playing tomorrow, and I'll be able to take a look at durability, which is the only concern, really. Handling them, they really feel like new golf balls.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
That’s how it usually goes, it really seems like they got their wires crossed in your initial order.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

That’s how it usually goes, it really seems like they got their wires crossed in your initial order.

Great! I was hoping that would be the answer.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Can anyone help me think about driving irons / crossover irons?

I haven't historically hit a driver, hybrids, or fairway woods because I seem to have trouble controlling them. I have good distance and loft with my regular irons; I mostly tee off the deck (or hit my second shot from the fairway on par 5s) with my 4iron to ~220 total or so with reasonably good control.

I hadn't heard of driving irons / crossover irons before today when I was seeing if I could get a classic 3iron from my current make/model of clubs to add to my bag. After reading more about them I'm wondering if they could be a good solution but it's hard to separate the marketing gimmicks. But if they swing more like irons, but with lofts comparable to a hybrid or fairway wood, I think that would be helpful for what I'm going for.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Can anyone help me think about driving irons / crossover irons?

I haven't historically hit a driver, hybrids, or fairway woods because I seem to have trouble controlling them. I have good distance and loft with my regular irons; I mostly tee off the deck (or hit my second shot from the fairway on par 5s) with my 4iron to ~220 total or so with reasonably good control.

I hadn't heard of driving irons / crossover irons before today when I was seeing if I could get a classic 3iron from my current make/model of clubs to add to my bag. After reading more about them I'm wondering if they could be a good solution but it's hard to separate the marketing gimmicks. But if they swing more like irons, but with lofts comparable to a hybrid or fairway wood, I think that would be helpful for what I'm going for.

I hit my 3i much better than my 3 driving iron. I'm consistent enough off the tee with the driving iron, but not off the fairway or settled in the rough.

I'd see if you can try a couple at a PGA superstore or golf Galaxy.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Weirdly I feel like driver is one of the easier clubs in the bag. I can’t imagine favoring a high iron over driver, with its huge head and massive MOI. Perhaps you just need the right driver?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’d assume the driver is the most difficult club to hit for the average person.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I’d assume the driver is the most difficult club to hit for the average person.

Man, half the time I just put that fucker away and pull out 3 wood. I lose maybe 20 yards, but gain every fairway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Koepka driving it in the water on 18 meant I went 1/3 on bets this weekend. No bueno.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Interesting to see this driving iron talk just now. I played 18 yesterday with my new one-length irons for the first time, and was consistently hitting my 4i 195 (with good contact, of course), and I never hit my old Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4i that far. Like, ever. And those shots went either ramrod-straight or had a slight draw (mis-hits tended to pull badly). So anyhoo, my one-length utility 3i should arrive some time this week, and I think that if I hit it as well as my 4i it may entirely replace my driver for the time being. I'm so bad with my driver that even straight hits go a hair over 200 yards, tops. I just can't swing the loving thing, and I won't until I spend a lot of time with an instructor. I'm just startled at how well and far I was hitting a 37.25-inch 4i yesterday. Fingers crossed that the 3i treats me as well. To be fair, the 4i is a super-game-improvement Cobra SpeedZone, and the 3i will be a harder-to-hit Cobra King.

Drivers suck*

*I suck at swinging a driver.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Interesting to see this driving iron talk just now. I played 18 yesterday with my new one-length irons for the first time, and was consistently hitting my 4i 195 (with good contact, of course), and I never hit my old Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4i that far. Like, ever. And those shots went either ramrod-straight or had a slight draw (mis-hits tended to pull badly). So anyhoo, my one-length utility 3i should arrive some time this week, and I think that if I hit it as well as my 4i it may entirely replace my driver for the time being. I'm so bad with my driver that even straight hits go a hair over 200 yards, tops. I just can't swing the loving thing, and I won't until I spend a lot of time with an instructor. I'm just startled at how well and far I was hitting a 37.25-inch 4i yesterday. Fingers crossed that the 3i treats me as well. To be fair, the 4i is a super-game-improvement Cobra SpeedZone, and the 3i will be a harder-to-hit Cobra King.

Drivers suck*

*I suck at swinging a driver.

You might wanna check the lofts on your irons.

Your Cobra Speedzone 4i has a loft of 19.5°

Your old JPX 900 4i is 21° so it makes sense you are hitting the Cobra farther :)

What loft did you get the 3i in?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

I'm guessing their QC got a lot better in the past few years?

I've ordered from them in the past, and especially since I play with a yellow ball, it was very easy to tell that some of the balls had been sitting at the bottom of a pond for awhile.

I'm thinking about this now since I just paid $75 with shipping and taxes for 2 boxes of non-premium golf balls (Q-Star Tour). I'm also not entirely sure why I bought those balls because the Q-Star is a decent ball and the Z-Star is a great ball, but the Q-Star Tour isn't the middle ground it claims to be between those balls. Maybe it's my Srixon yellow bias.

mattfl posted:

You might wanna check the lofts on your irons.

Your Cobra Speedzone 4i has a loft of 19.5°

Jesus, the loft on my driving iron is 21°

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'm guessing their QC got a lot better in the past few years?

I've ordered from them in the past, and especially since I play with a yellow ball, it was very easy to tell that some of the balls had been sitting at the bottom of a pond for awhile.

I'm thinking about this now since I just paid $75 with shipping and taxes for 2 boxes of non-premium golf balls (Q-Star Tour). I'm also not entirely sure why I bought those balls because the Q-Star is a decent ball and the Z-Star is a great ball, but the Q-Star Tour isn't the middle ground it claims to be between those balls. Maybe it's my Srixon yellow bias.

Jesus, the loft on my driving iron is 21°

My 2 iron which is technically I guess my driving iron is 17°

21° is my 4 iron lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship (betting) thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935299 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Played a little bit of twilight golf last night, course was so backed up I ended up playing holes 1-4, then went back and played 3 balls on holes 2-8, it was about 8:20 by that point.

Then I jumped back to the 2nd hole and played one ball for real and finished the 9th hole at like 9:10.

Played those last 8 holes at even par, but was playing like garbage before that. I figured out the issue on the 8th hole(the 1st time I played the 8th hole).

Swinging too dadgum hard. Backswing was fine, but trying to swing too hard on the downswing. As soon as I just went for a smooth downswing I was just piping it again. So I’ve coined a new mantra that I just kept repeating to myself over and over, ‘Smooth is Strong’. Feel fee to use that and send royalties directly to me.

Putter like garbage all night.