Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DeimosRising posted:

it's not really about the extra resolution for 4k, it's about getting hdr. it's definitely nothing like the jump to hd from dvd though

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah, I've grown so used to the loss of true blacks on flatpanel displays...it's unhealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Everybody talking about UHD and I'm still mad Criterion never did a single UMD release

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Everybody talking about UHD and I'm still mad Criterion never did a single UMD release

Imagine Playtime on a UMD.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zogo posted:

Very similar to the A Woman Is a Woman cover.

https://www.criterion.com/films/854-a-woman-is-a-woman

At least that uses different stills as part of the design, the Parasite one just barely tries to place the morse code over the original poster so you can see the main characters through it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My haul from this sale:

Kiss Me Deadly
One Sings, The Other Doesn’t
Bamboozled
His Girl Friday
Dance, Girl, Dance
Grand Budapest Hotel

I was gonna get the Bruce Lee set but then it was unavailable so I chose these instead and then the next day the Bruce Lee set was available again so I decided to get that too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Way of The Dragon isn’t great, but it’s nice seeing Bruce in a really comedic role and that Chuck Norris fight loving slaps.

Can’t wait to rewatch Fist of Fury and dig into the extras.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Whoever described The Cremator as a dark comedy is a loving liar, it's a straight up horror and it's also brilliant

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Cloks posted:

Imagine Playtime on a UMD.

Here’s a fun fact that will make everyone in here angry: the one time I watched Solaris was on my phone during a long car ride.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Here’s a fun fact that will make everyone in here angry: the one time I watched Solaris was on my phone during a long car ride.

Which one?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eraserhead is getting a UK release f yeah

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tarkovsky.

It was actually really cool in that context. I have the blu but haven’t had the urge to watch it again really.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Tarkovsky.

It was actually really cool in that context. I have the blu but haven’t had the urge to watch it again really.

That triggers the hell out of me but I also like that you had fun :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Stan Taylor posted:

I dunno watching Solaris on an endless drive somewhere has some poetry to it

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Picked up the Karel Zeman box set and I watched half of Journey to the Beginning of Time.

Man, I would have been obsessed with this movie as a kid.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That triggers the hell out of me but I also like that you had fun :)

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/villeneuve-deakins-traumatized-terrence-malick-film-iphone-1234573031/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Foam Monkey posted:

Got the Bruce Lee boxset, Tokyo Drifter, and Tokyo Olympiad. The last two are blind guys, but I figured it can’t hurt to try something new.

You should have gotten Tokyo Story instead of the Lee set and told everyone you were very confused what order the trilogy was supposed to go in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bourgeois director has bourgeois affectation

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Bourgeois director has bourgeois affectation

Look at what thread you're in before throwing stones from your glass living room.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Is the Criterion Princess Bride the best transfer out there? I have the 25th Anniversary Blu Ray and was wondering if there was any advantage to upgrading.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Is the Criterion Princess Bride the best transfer out there? I have the 25th Anniversary Blu Ray and was wondering if there was any advantage to upgrading.

Yes, it's a decent upgrade. https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12542&d2=12541&s1=124708&s2=124716&i=2&l=0

e: If you're in Europe, you might consider the German BD which is virtually identical to the Criterion.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 25, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Man Bamboozled hits the same depressing notes as Do the Right Thing where it's somehow more relevant than ever, xx years on.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I watched Grand Prix recently. The Saul Bass montages and sound are so good

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Just watched Until the End of the World. That was very, very good. I wish it had the theatrical cut so I could compare. As it was, I could have handled a few more hours, so I can’t imagine it cut down as much as it was.

I’m also through the first three Bruce Lee movies. Fist of Fury >> Big Boss > Way of the Dragon.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Fleetwood posted:

I watched Grand Prix recently. The Saul Bass montages and sound are so good

Now there's a movie that deserves a remaster/UHD.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I picked up When We Were Kings because it's my favorite doc and I'd owned the DVD for a decade. It really is I think straight up one of the best docs ever made and I've seen it a dozen times over the years. However, I hadn't seen Soul Power, the 2008 doc that's also included on the Criterion release and compiled from similar archival footage of the Zaire '74 music festival that accompanied the fight. I cannot recommend it enough, it is an incredible cross-cultural music documentary with some astoundingly hot performances.

This criterion disc is one hell of a double feature. Huge recommend.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Asnorban posted:

Just watched Until the End of the World. That was very, very good. I wish it had the theatrical cut so I could compare. As it was, I could have handled a few more hours, so I can’t imagine it cut down as much as it was.

I’m also through the first three Bruce Lee movies. Fist of Fury >> Big Boss > Way of the Dragon.

This is the right order. Enter The Dragon is between Big Boss and Way of the Dragon. Game of Death is utter garbage.

If you like old school Kung Fun like Shaw Brothers, Game of Death 2 is worth checking out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Fist of Fury was worth the price of the whole set imo(at 50% off at least).

Edit: this always said Fist of Fury, trust me

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zandert33 posted:

This is the right order. Enter The Dragon is between Big Boss and Way of the Dragon. Game of Death is utter garbage.

If you like old school Kung Fun like Shaw Brothers, Game of Death 2 is worth checking out.

Game of Death would have been prime MST3K fodder. It's a shame - the footage Lee completed would have been one of his best films ever. And the fact that you basically have to remove all charisma from the star means you end up with this huge vacuum. Lee had a great presence on screen. That ambivalent attitude he displayed was perfect, like he was saying "I see, I guess I'm just going to have to kick your rear end."

I love the interview with Robert Wall on the disc, where he just curses out the director at every opportunity.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

does anyone else have problems streaming CC on their computer? I tried watching on my desktop and the videos won't start because of some DRM issue

"Unable to play video.

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center."

https://support.vhx.tv/article/756-drm-and-hdcp

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Are you using Chrome? I had that problem some months ago, switching to Firefox or opera fixed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood posted:

does anyone else have problems streaming CC on their computer? I tried watching on my desktop and the videos won't start because of some DRM issue

"Unable to play video.

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center."

https://support.vhx.tv/article/756-drm-and-hdcp

Is your monitor connected via HDMI? I seem to remember this being mentioned as an issue recently.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I think that's the problem- the HDMI. drat

I've been trying different browsers and the error message is still popping up

edit: amazing– I switched out to an old HDMI that I had laying around and it worked, thanks

Fleetwood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 31, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fellini set has 15 discs, 14 films, is gorgeous: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/3626-essential-fellini

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell you how excited I am to own Nights of Cabiria.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
The day after the Varda set arrives. They've been killing it with box sets lately.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Still waiting on that Kurosawa set

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Still waiting on that Kurosawa set

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Anyone able to confirm if the version of Come And See on the Criterion Channel is the recent restoration?