Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ok there is indeed a mod to make the ravenfield bots chat like assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

luxury handset posted:

That rocks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mordja posted:

That rocks.

It's not quite the same without someone repeatedly typing the fourteen words into the chat but yeah, that's pretty good.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kanfy posted:

There's also a couple of cool postgame bonus bosses that are worth taking a shot at if one liked the game, I found them both fun and tough fights.

Seconded.

There's a rather sizable DoubleFine bundle going on right now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Black Griffon posted:

It's not quite the same without someone repeatedly typing the fourteen words into the chat but yeah, that's pretty good.

Now I want to make a mod that makes the bots encourage the player to make a race war mod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I went to the Workshop and sure enough there are over 1000 weapon mods. Most of them adding tacticool modern guns, but some college kid has an Aliens-themed pack.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Does someone have an uncle at Remedy that can tell them when the next Control DLC will drop?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I think they may have had a bit of a gaffe with 140.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

luxury handset posted:

LOL, I think I might buy that

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Radio General too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Det_no posted:

Radio General too.

lol they did that exact same thing last time they put rad in a humble bundle

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, any recommendations? I played it outta the box and refunded an hour later

I just downloaded what was the most subscribed at the moment. I am currently using the rifle from Aliens to kill spartans from Halo, on the moon, and titanfalling mechs with a beacon grenade. If that sounds cringey there are some really cool war maps and packs. I played a Vietnam map with period accurate uniforms, vehicles and weapons.

I loaded up a Dust2 remake and loaded it with 100 bots. It was insane and I find the AI to be better than I expected. Not great, but decent enough to feel like a fight. There's a lot of emergent moments that remind me of old school Battlefield.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh dang, I nearly bought that before seeing this post as one of the reasons I was considering that bundle was because of Anno 1404. And I mean, in hindsight, it is weird that a Ubisoft game was in a Double Fine bundle.

But regardless, that was an easy mistake to make. Nobody reads the small print when there's a big image with the title of a game. I imagine others will be confused when they try to find a key for this or that Radio General game. I don't feel sorry for their support people.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and they said I'd never amount to anything

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congrats, I myself recently got past weave 54 in Vermintide 2, so I know how you feel.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1288883058377023488

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Has anyone tried grounded? How is it?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been back and forth on Monster Train a few times: how different or interesting is its gameplay compared to Slay the Spire, which I've seen lots of comparisons to? Is it straight-up just "Do you want more StS but different?", or does it do enough innovative mechanical stuff to be worth a look on its own?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Monster Train is completely different from STS. You play cards and draft stuff. That's all the similarity there is really. Plays completely different.

Was actually just about to post this. Easiest run of my life. Choo choo!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been back and forth on Monster Train a few times: how different or interesting is its gameplay compared to Slay the Spire, which I've seen lots of comparisons to? Is it straight-up just "Do you want more StS but different?", or does it do enough innovative mechanical stuff to be worth a look on its own?

Check it out for sure, it's got more of a tower defense vibe to it where you have floors to defend before they get to your core. I was debating it myself for the same reason but while it feels similar in a lot if ways it's pretty unique with how it plays compared to StS. It's also much more approachable and lets you experiment with decks and builds and there's a lot of ways to finish a run whereas I never really felt that Slay the Spire let you gently caress around and try something crazy without getting shitpummeled because you picked the wrong meta or whatever.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

bamhand posted:

Monster Train is completely different from STS. You play cards and draft stuff. That's all the similarity there is really. Plays completely different.

your bottom floor is just someone doing a raging demon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

bamhand posted:

why do you not have googly eyes mode enabled

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How's Civ 6 as baby's first X4 and how necessary are the expansions?

Got the base game for free on Epic and they have a "Platinum Edition Upgrade" sorta cheap.

Comes with:

Civilization VI – Vikings Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Australia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Persia and Macedon Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Nubia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Khmer and Indonesia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI: Rise and Fall expansion
Civilization VI: Gathering Storm expansion

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Surprisingly polished in some ways, especially for an Obsidian game, but I haven't spent much time with it. Lots of conflicting reports about how much content there is right now, some people say 30 minutes (which sounds like just the tutorial), some say about 10 hours, others are saying it's much more than that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Civ 6 as baby's first X4 and how necessary are the expansions?

Got the base game for free on Epic and they have a "Platinum Edition Upgrade" sorta cheap.
It's cheaper to buy a steam key for the whole thing:
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/sidmeierscivilizationviplatinumedition/info/

There's a CIV VI thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775912
I think the consensus is, it's good, but flawed. The expansions flesh it out but don't really fix those flaws. But if you've not played such games before the flaws probably won't matter much, they're mostly about ways the AI can be broken.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mr Hootington posted:

Only played a little bit but it seems surprisingly well made for an early access survival crafting game. It's on xbox gamepass if you have that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I didn't like how Grounded's characters (at least the one I picked initially) are exuberant tweens who are weirdly hyped about being teensy and then get killed by huge bugs with a screen that says like "[tween] was torn apart by a spider!"

It's pretty but I couldn't get one of the tutorial events to work and will probably never touch it again. Gamepass is great for being super non committal, anyway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ErrEff posted:

Surprisingly polished in some ways, especially for an Obsidian game, but I haven't spent much time with it. Lots of conflicting reports about how much content there is right now, some people say 30 minutes (which sounds like just the tutorial), some say about 10 hours, others are saying it's much more than that.

Hub Cat posted:

Only played a little bit but it seems surprisingly well made for an early access survival crafting game. It's on xbox gamepass if you have that.

Ok sounds good. I wil have to try the gamepass.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So I'm guessing the gamepass version of grounded different than the early access?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
yeah microsoft has a time machine and published the 1.0 version a year in advance

turns out the spiders were the good guys

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Monster Train is great! It has similar button feel and quality of life features compared to Slay the Spire.

Instead of playing one guy's attacks, you play tower defence vs known enemies (like StS) with predictable attacks (like StS).

In between fights, you choose from only two paths, each with different sets of shops, events or upgrades, before going onto the next battle.

So if Slay the Spire is "one character, incrementally fine tuning a deck over a long series of battles" then Monster Train is "tower defence with big changes to the deck in between a small number of big fights"

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 31, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Forest: well I beat it, with the help of dev mode and power crystals, and I gotta say. The endgame is not what I expected at all, it felt like it was part of a completely different game? Spoilers ahead:

The level design had good points - some really creepy segments with the caves and bits in the lab - but the rest was too many long corridors or repeating areas, and then the actual plot! You've been looking for Timmy this ENTIRE time and you find him dead. This is a surprise somehow to the main character, despite it taking like a month to get down here. Then - and this is where I went "no, you stupid jerk" - to the screen: he hooks Timmy up to the magic zombie device and it needs a sacrifice so he goes to find one! And finds a boss fight! And brings back a little girl and it's all "we need a live sacrifice" and I'm just

this motherfucker wrote "Find a Live Sacrifice" in his to-do notebook

this super-protective father is so destroyed by grief and insanity that he is going to find and kill a child

and the end game choice is either to go through with this and bring down another plane, OR don't do that.

I turned it all off because I am not going to kill a child, jesus... and the game spat me back out onto the island and I basically unlocked NG+ and horde mode and whatever. Apparently if I want to see the credits I have to CHOOSE to shoot down a plane full of innocents, find a child and then sacrifice them. That's how I get access to the plot cutscenes and the credits of the game AND the achievement to finish the game. The developers want you to do that.

I'm actually kind of angry at it, even though I can see how the narrative does a perfect loop wherein you fight cannibals until you become the cannibal and it's great for horror blah blah but THEY MADE IT A CHOICE. I never once ate human meat, I never once built an effigy, I did what I need to survive and find Timmy and I found him and let him go, because he's dead.

Anyways! I'm thrilled to actually beat it, the gameplay was great (except for the logging) and I loved shooting cannibals and whacking them with clubs. The caves were great and I had a joyous time exploring. Again, shoutout to power crystals for being a great co-op partner to do this with, as I would've been too scared to play it otherwise.

If you like horror and/or survival crafting and/or cave exploration, I'd highly recommend the Forest, especially as a co-op experience. And the story is even actually interesting, even if it makes some weird choices at the end.

And on that note, happy birthday to me! :toot: Wrapping the Forest as the clock ticks over and I become 29, what a way to ring in the new year. May this one be filled with more co-op and better games, and less pandemic nonsense.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
^Holy smokes. I didn't expect that kind of plot progression. Pretty neat. E: Oh, and happy b-day!
-

These are extremely cool. I especially like the Rotted Greatwood and the Nameless King.
-

END ME SCOOB posted:

Saya no Uta/Song of Saya. It's on Steam now, actually.

You can never have enough flesh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well, through all this back and forth I've been convinced I might as well give Ravenfield a try. Mission accomplished, I guess.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Tiny and kickass pixel-y aRPG Chronicon will be coming out of early access on August 21st

quote:

Chronicon will fully launch as 1.0.0 on August 21st!

The Early Access price will remain with a small launch discount for a few days, to give everyone who's been waiting for full release a last chance to pick it up at lower price point. Afterwards, the game price will increase a few dollars to its intended full price.

What's next?
I hope to be able to continue support to game for a long time with fresh free smaller content updates, as well as paid DLC with major content updates. You can expect more info on this later this year!

It's :10bux:, go get it.

I've loved this game since I've had it, and every time I replayed it I always got caught up in the leveling and loot loop in a way that's much more effective (and controller friendly!) than almost any other diablo-like I've played. I'm not going to sell it as any better than a AAA game but it's certainly been much more successful at repeatedly scratching that murder-loot loop, as I'm nearing 400 hours on this bad boy. Glad to see it get here. :shobon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Chronicon is really good, the atmosphere reminds a lot of playing the original Diablo but without the procedural generation. That game is definitely worth the ten dollars.

Well drat, that is not how I saw that game ending. Gotta respect that it had the nerve to pull that off, though. As horror goes, that's drat effective, because I really would be pretty horrified at that point.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm actually kind of angry at it, even though I can see how the narrative does a perfect loop wherein you fight cannibals until you become the cannibal and it's great for horror blah blah but THEY MADE IT A CHOICE. I never once ate human meat, I never once built an effigy, I did what I need to survive and find Timmy and I found him and let him go, because he's dead.

I have never played The Forest so this is pure speculation: maybe a non-cheaty* play through would have pushed you more to do the do the things you've said you didn't do? That would have the thing fit better with your character arc?

I'm curious because this is really unexpected.

*It's not PVP, do whatever you please, this is in no way a Git Gud post.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have never played The Forest so this is pure speculation: maybe a non-cheaty* play through would have pushed you more to do the do the things you've said you didn't do? That would have the thing fit better with your character arc?

I haven't played The Forest since it was still in early access, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think those are very avoidable things even if you don't cheat. Food is not that hard to come by and the other thing's benefit can be gained in other ways that mechanically do effectively the same thing, but need to be reapplied regularly.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fat Samurai posted:

My recollection is that she is right and it was pretty jarring, and I only cheated via looking at some online maps when I didn't know what to do next (no codes or anything). Also apparently the sacrifice ending is canon so that's a little weird too. I guess you could make the case that to get to the end your character has to slaughter countless cannibal savages and see lots of hosed up stuff so maybe he's a bit broken by that point.

Having said that I really liked the Forest and recommend it. It kind of reminded me of Subnautica on land but with a lot more combat. Scary as hell though and the game made me jump out of my skin on more than one occasion. The first time I played it I didn't see a cannibal for a long time. I found a single path down a cliff to a beach which looked like a good place for a base since it was defensible (one path down) and seemed to be out of the way. I was collecting some resource or other when I looked up at the cliff and saw a single solitary cannibal standing at the edge of the cliff just staring at me. For some reason it just freaked me out and I noped the hell out of there.

e:

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't played The Forest since it was still in early access, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think those are very avoidable things even if you don't cheat. Food is not that hard to come by and the other thing's benefit can be gained in other ways that mechanically do effectively the same thing, but need to be reapplied regularly.

Yeah I never once felt pressured to do those things. The survival aspect can change depending on where you are in the island, but I found it kind of like Subnautica in that it's a thing at first but eventually it really isn't a problem. I think those options are there more for a 'sandbox roleplay' kind of reason.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well, here’s a thing...

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/7/30/21348369/splinter-cell-netflix-adaptation-ubisoft-report