Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I lean on the mortal draw a lot is that okay?

My PS4 peasant friend dropped by today and I hooked up to my tv to show him the game in 4k maxed out, he's terrible at games and would never buy it anyway. While casually playing and explaining the game I took on the whole bunch of people battling on the stairs outside ashina castle and then went inside to show him super macho man, back stabbed the other red hat in that room almost by accident and killed the big guy too, all rather easily. Even took a bar off of DoH when I went to show him that. Perspective and approach are so important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Confetti being basically required for some fights is probably my biggest complaint about this game. It's not a problem on a second playthrough, but being unable to beat something because you run out of a fairly limited resource is bullshit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

codo27 posted:

I lean on the mortal draw a lot is that okay?

For what, exactly? I never found it particularly useful but if you do that's great.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gort posted:

For what, exactly? I never found it particularly useful but if you do that's great.

I find it unbelievably useful to take health off of bosses. For most bosses, you can't really break their posture until you've done some health damage, and mortal draw does significant damage through block and interrupts most attacks. You just have to time it after a mikiri or other equally solid counters.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There’s a reason the second half of speedruns is mostly using mortal draw on bosses. It’s very powerful because it does bug health damage through block and you’re guaranteed to get it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Yeah with mortal draw, even when you have no emblems left you can stunlock some bosses with it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Welp, guess I'm the moron who ignored a useful tool through half the game

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Gort posted:

Welp, guess I'm the moron who ignored a useful tool through half the game

If you think that's bad, I did 2 whole playthroughs without a single Ashina art.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just an FYI that for whatever reason, once you get the midair deathblow skill, mortal draw does more damage if you jump and use it in the air.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've gotten to the point that the first bar of Isshin is fairly easy but the second part? they really gave the motherfucker a gun? though it's not as big a deal as I originally thought. I just can't stay close enough to him with all his fuckin jumping around and swinging that loving gently caress stick

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's the most fun part of the game, enjoy it!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

codo27 posted:

I've gotten to the point that the first bar of Isshin is fairly easy but the second part? they really gave the motherfucker a gun? though it's not as big a deal as I originally thought. I just can't stay close enough to him with all his fuckin jumping around and swinging that loving gently caress stick

HESITATION IS DEFEAT

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

codo27 posted:

Discussion > Games > Sekiro: loving jumping around and swinging that loving gently caress stick

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

codo27 posted:

You can do it. Don't give up. Pay extra close attention to his attacks. Stay on him.

Hesitation is defeat.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

codo27 posted:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rank Sekiro bosses by their memability

Isshin and Guardian Ape gotta be high up there

Demon of Hate and Centipede Giraffe too

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Gyobu would be definitely be competing for number 1, carried by his English/Spanish voice acting.

edit: there's a charity Sekiro randomizer race set to nightmare mode going on right now if anyone wants to see runners try to get through a mibu village where all the villagers are replaced with Owl/Genichiro/Butterfly:

https://twitch.tv/mcrapt0r

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

IronicDongz posted:

people would absolutely eat meals of nothing but bacon if it wasn't unhealthy

yeah I know this because there are people who want boss rush modes too

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Phase 2 of Isshin is the real boss fight because phase 3 just feels like a complete joke due to the attack he adds actually working in your favor.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Headless are nowhere near as annoying as the sumo dudes. I am so sick of fighting them.
Also the important detail you're all missing is that after pulling out Sekiro's soul, they stick it up their own butt.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wyoming posted:

Also the important detail you're all missing is that after pulling out Sekiro's soul, they stick it up their own butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34j0atQdJo&t=52s

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I did it. I had a couple attempts where I had it but choked, several deaths to falling off the cliff including one where I flawless'd genich and first stage isshin, but after I dunno 3 hours or so of trying all together, I did it. This may have been worse than Gael for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:hai: :negative: :hai:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Got the platinum. I cheesed the last ending but otherwise it was a continuous playthrough. I never did get the hang of the raven mist and umbrella tools and mostly stuck with fire, firecrackers, and throwing stars. This is an incredible game. Im very happy with my time with it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Torquemadras posted:

Rank Sekiro bosses by their memability

Isshin and Guardian Ape gotta be high up there

Demon of Hate and Centipede Giraffe too

MY NAME IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Lady Butterfly is powerful meme lady.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Got the platinum. I cheesed the last ending but otherwise it was a continuous playthrough. I never did get the hang of the raven mist and umbrella tools and mostly stuck with fire, firecrackers, and throwing stars. This is an incredible game. Im very happy with my time with it.

The umbrella is mainly for widening your parry window on certain bosses and making yourself immune to fire/terror. Anything else is a waste of emblems.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
ROBERTOOOOOOOO

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I was using a monitor with supposedly 5ms of input lag to play this. I just got a new LG with supposedly 1ms of input lag. I have a TV attached to my computer too, I checked by cloning them and turning on a timer, and there was an 11ms input lag difference. I do remember playing Dark Souls 3 on that tv and being very bad, and then changing to my old monitor and being much better. so with a 6? ms difference you can definitely, definitely feel it. I wonder if I'll be better at Sekiro now that I'm not playing at 5ms, but on 1ms. I'm scared to find out though, what If I'm still bad? I'm on the final boss stage 2 or maybe 3, last time I tried.

Edit: I just checked and it's about like so:

New monitor: 1ms
Old monitor: 3-4ms
Tv: 11ms

I should see a should improvement if the difference between 11 and 4 is very big and noticeable

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 9, 2020

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

redreader posted:

New monitor: 1ms
Old monitor: 3-4ms
Tv: 11ms

Are you sure those measurements are milliseconds and not frames? At 60FPS, a single frame is 16.6 MS, so all of those displays would be completely identical in performance (with human reflexes, at least).

If that TV is lagging 11 frames (183 ms) behind, that is very noticeable and would make anyone suck at games. It's not unheard of for TVs to have lag that bad, but usually it can be reduced by putting the TV into 'game mode'.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
also 1ms response time is not the same as 1ms input lag. response time is just how quickly the pixels can change but there’s about a million other things in the chain from your controller button being pressed to the pixels updating that contribute to input lag

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I bought Sekiro when it was released but for some reason my interest kind of fizzled out after playing 10-ish hours or so. But I picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and powered through all of it from the start again. What a great game, and such a cool feeling once you start to master the combat system. ISS was a perfect final boss and I went from getting my rear end kicked the first ten tries to downing him without dying in my final attempt. I also finished off the Genichiro phase in an awesome way by accidentally doing a high monk move over his sweep attack and then impaling him after my final combo.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Star posted:

I also finished off the Genichiro phase in an awesome way by accidentally doing a high monk move over his sweep attack and then impaling him after my final combo.

:hmmyes: That's some good mairu right there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tirranek posted:

:hmmyes: That's some good mairu right there

some what?

either way i'm glad to see people appreciate High Monk for being swag

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ciaphas posted:

some what?

Translated as "Face me" or "Enough talk" in the English localisation because Wolf doesnt have time for this poo poo.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

some what?

It's the thing that he says at some key duels in the game, used to basically mean 'I'm coming at you'

One of the things that's cool about the Isshin fight is that he calls Sekiro out with the same word. Says a lot about the character with very little.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that was what i was thinking, then I threw the word at goog translate and it came up with Miles so I asked instead :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's actually "maeru" so I'm not surprised you didn't get anything

But yeah, you'll hear "maeru" come up a lot with any samurai related media, since it's basically "come at me bro". Often preceded by "iza" ("now")

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Tarezax posted:

It's actually "maeru" so I'm not surprised you didn't get anything

Ohh well that explains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

All of a sudden the game has started randomly hanging for 5 or so seconds, for no apparent reason. This never happened during my first playthrough and as far as I can tell nothing has meaningfully changed on my computer or in the game. What could be causing this??
I don't know if you ever got a fix for this, but I think it's worthwhile to post this here since I had an irritating recurring crash I couldn't figure out how to resolve for a couple of weeks until I stumbled across a several-month-old post on the Steam forums with like three replies that actually addressed my issue (which was very similar to the one you described here, from the sound of it).

Well... let me clarify: there were two suggestions, and I tried both at the same time because I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to see if it worked, but both had to do with compatibility settings and can easily be performed together.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the Steam directory for Sekiro, right-click the .exe file > "Compatibility" tab > check "Run this program as an Administrator"

The next one was: ... > "Change high DPI settings" button > check "Use this setting to fix scaling problems instead of the one in settings" and "Override high DPI scaling behavior" > select "Application", which disables it.

Hopefully, you and anyone else who might be having these issues will have some success with this. I tried a half-dozen different fixes before I found this one and it worked straight away, but man it was not easy to find.